Main Card Battlers
Voiced by: Mana Hirata
The protagonist, and a red card battler. He's crazy for seasoned rice and Battle Spirits. His parents created the battle system to fulfill his dream of meeting the spirits.
- Anime Hair: A pretty impossible hairdo. He manages to have a point of hair that stands straight up.
- Chaste Hero: Roller Izumi making moves on him does nothing for him, and when asked who he was in love with, his answer... Battle Spirits.
- Hachimaki: Tegamaru just refers to him by it.
- Hot-Blooded: Extremely. He has a tendency to yell "I'm heating up!"
- Flung Clothing: His clothes come off as he's sliding, starting with his shirt.
- Mr. Fanservice: His Shirtless Scene in episode 12. His chest is given lots of focus for that minute and hes 13! Clearly the animators were having a good time at this.
- Meaningful Name: It means begin. He was the first one to use the new battle system.
- Nice Hat: His headband never comes off at all, not even when his shirt came off.
- Shirtless Scene: As he falling down a slide in the Hot Springs Episode, his shirt flies up and he is shirtless for a whole minute.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Seasoned rice. With lots and lots of bizarre seasonings, at that.
A friend of Hajime's and the daughter of the co-creator of the battle system. She's a purple card battler, and dreams of world domination.
- Action Girl: She's a pretty decent card battler, who made it up to the national round of the world tournament.
- Attention Whore: She likes to be the center of everyone's attention. How else can she accomplish world domination?
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She borders on this at times, such as in the election episode, where she pretends to be the sweet and innocent victim. However, other times she'll have hidden niceness under her behavior.
- Hair Decorations: One giant bow
- Pet the Dog: Does this with Tameru of all people. She allows him to keep calling her princess, even after he lost a battle where the terms would permanently stop him from doing so.
- Take Over the World: It's her main goal in life. Even though she's portrayed as a good guy.
A red card battler, like Hajime. He's extremely talented, and will only battle opponents he deems worthy. Hajime considers him a main rival.
- The Ace: He's a very talented card battler, said to be able to use any card that comes to him, and famous for not budging when he loses a life. No one is even allowed to battle him unless they can beat his two teammates first.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Jerkass: For starters, he won't even call anyone by their name if he doesn't consider them worthy.
- Identical Grandson: He may as well be a clone of his ancestor Haomaru.
- Power High: After getting Amaterasu-Dragon, the legendary phantom card, well.. who knew he could be that insane?
- The Rival: To Hajime.
- Samurai Ponytail: The old-fashioned look is due to the fact that his heritage is important to him.
- Slipknot Ponytail: His hair comes down after Hajime breaks his imposing stance
- Trademark Favorite Food: Milk. He loves it to almost creepy levels.
- Vocal Evolution: In very early episodes his voice is noticeably more normal sounding, and gets progressively deeper and hammier in later episodes. Might be justified, as Tegamaru becomes pretty insane later into the series.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In fact, it is blue. Which is odd because most other hair is normal in this show.
A teammate of Tegamaru, and a white card battler. He loves to draw, and wants to become a spirit designer.
- Bishounen: He's referred to as this in his official bio. Which doesn't stop people from guessing correctly, that he's actually a girl.
- Cry Cute: The normally stoic Chihiro cries after finally realizing that Tegamaru has abandoned his team.
- Instant Fanclub: The Chihiro Elite Guard
- Nice Hat: Which also serves the purpose of hiding her long hair.
- Ship Tease: Might have a crush on Tegamaru, if a lot of blushing is enough indication. Even her parents seem to like the idea of hooking them up.
Voiced by: Kenichirou Matsuda
A teammate of Tegamaru, and a green card battler.
- The Bully: A former one, when he went around battling weak opponent's to win their strongest card.
- Can't Catch Up: Subverted. While early on, he's eliminated in the local tournament, and then is not seen battling for a long while after, he later proves to still be quite competent as a card battler, when he defeats a deck made up of the 12 Zodiac X-Rares.
- Meaningful Name: It means clenched fists, fitting to his tough-guy appearance.
Voiced by: Tadashi Mutou
The narcissistic student council president of Kadode Middle School. He's a blue card battler.
- Large Ham: He probably out-trumps most characters in the franchise with the battle performances he puts on.
- Student Council President: Though, we don't get to see a lot of what he does as president. We know he at least has the power to call students to his office at whim, just to talk with them.
The Battle Spirits champion. He uses red, and plans to challenge the winner of the Hero Championship. He has an alternate persona called Afrone.
Kimari's younger brother, and a card collector. He's Hajime's biggest fan, and loves Pentans.
Voiced by: Mika Matsuoka
Manabu's younger brother, who completely adores Manabu. He's usually seen eating junk food. He uses yellow.
The worker at Battle Spirits shops, and a yellow card battler. She likes to dress up in different costumes.
Renard William Ardley
A talented card battler from Britain, whose dream is to become a guard for the Queen of England. To achieve this, he uses Battle Spirits as training in chivalry. Though he claims to be able to use any color, he is only shown to use purple. His key spirit is The Knight Hero