A list of characters in the fan-created webcomic Batman and Sons
The stern, strict, unyielding patriarch and superhero.Tropes:
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Even Jason gets a few moments where Batman shows he cares.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: As seen here◊...
- Because I Said So: The weapon of every parent, Bruce does this a lot.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's blunt, strict, neurotic, and unemotional, but clearly cares about all four boys.
- Overprotective Dad: Well, naturally, although here it's played for comedy.
- Properly Paranoid: With Jason, his protectiveness of Terry is justified. He also goes through the entire manor and Batcave to find a spot which doesn't have any security cameras, and ends up filmed anyway by a camera which Jason secretly installed.
- Scare 'Em Straight: Batman often goes along with a scheme to lull the boys into a false sense of security before striking fear into them. (See: 'Bat Nap', 'Crime and Punishment'.)
The loyal butler, who manages to turn the tables in his favor every now and then.Tropes:
Bruce's oldest son at twelve years old. The most well-adjusted Robin, though he can get a bit neurotic if things aren't going as planned. His Robin uniform has the canon green underpants.Tropes:
- Apologetic Attacker: Apologizes to Tim before tying him up in a locked closet. He also leaves the light on.
- Big Brother Mentor: Dick is quite grounded and responsible for his age. He looks after Terry if Alfred and Batman are occupied, encourages and supports Tim, and works well with Jason if necessary.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : Dick can't eat a chocolate bar in the Batcave without getting a stern lecture from Batman. While Batman is in space. Fighting a giant starfish alien. (Though admittedly, the only reason Jason gets away with some things is sheer quantity causing Batman to miss a few.)
- The Heart: If Dick wasn't around, Jason would have nothing to stop him from using Tim as a pawn all of the time. Also, Terry would have gotten left behind. Several times.
- Given the Silver Age heroines see Dick as a surrogate son or nephew he also is this for them. And gives him awkwardness when he tries to fight puberty.
- Male Gaze/Marshmallow Hell: Dick being sandwiched between Black Canary and Hawkgirl... That Came Out Wrong.
- And here Dick's also got to deal with Mera and Power Girl too—hard when you're twelve to keep your "Mr. Nice Guy" status.
- Pretty Boy: Played with. At the Justice League barbecue in 'Rivalry', Black Canary and Hawkgirl immediately start cooing over how handsome Dick is, which is a pretty standard greeting given they're surrogate aunts and he's twelve.
- Raging Stiffie: Dick is just hitting puberty, and is often in the company of very full-figured women.
Bruce's most troublesome son. At nine years old, he already shows a tendency towards violence and sneaking around. His Robin uniform has shorts.Tropes:
- Ambiguous Innocence: He doesn't seem to know that children who weren't raised by Batman need to be treated more carefully.
- The Chessmaster In Training: He is eerily good at thinking up complicated schemes for his mischief, as 'Crime and Punishment' and 'Mr. Bat-Mom' show. Since his father is Batman, he rarely gets away with it.
- Evil Big Brother Mentor: He constantly uses Tim as an unwitting pawn in his schemes, and he is extremely irresponsible with Terry (feeding him pineapple to make him poop earlier, building Terry into a snowman).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he uses Tim and Terry as pawns a lot, he usually accompanies Tim on more dangerous schemes, at least to prove that he's brave enough to go though it himself. He also feels bad when he actually makes Terry cry.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Jason is not allowed to compete with other children as he is prone to intense violence, and he tends to use his younger brothers for his own ends. He also keeps a pocketknife around which can cut Batcable.
- Zany Scheme: Only most of his schemes get caught (he successfully installed a security camera which Batman doesn't know about, and replaced the Batcable with dental floss which Alfred holds as blackmail material).
Cheerful but very sensitive, Tim is six years old in this continuity and a bit... off-center due to his parents' deaths. His Robin uniform has pants, black boots, and a black cape.Tropes:
- Cheerful Child/Stepford Smiler: While he is usually cheerful, he cries easily and seems to be lonely.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Tim's grasp on reality is... shaky, at best. In "Mr. Bat-Mom", he started calling Batman "Mom" after Dick and Jason attempted to force his silence.
- Innocent Inaccurate: Sincerely believes that Batman found him and Terry in cabbage patches.
- The Smart Guy: While he hasn't quite got all of his marbles together, he got out of full-body binding in a locked closet, then taped video evidence of Dick and Jason scheming against Batman. Within the time of a diaper change.
- Unsound Effect: While running around with a feather duster pretending to be Hawkman, he yells "Hawk! Hawk!"
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Tries very hard to please Batman. At one point he constructs an elaborate fantasy where he and Batman traveled to a planet made of pancakes and potato chips.
Terry (McGinnis or, Kyle) Wayne
Batman's youngest and blood-related son, less than a year old and not quite talking yet. Worried over constantly by Batman, most of the time with due cause. He is spoiled and easily bullies Tim into doing what he wants, but good at heart with a sometimes profound intelligence. His mother is Catwoman.Tropes:
- Baby Language: In 'Rebel With a Binky', Terry's baby-talk is translated to an extremely long, complex speech siding with his brothers about Batman's unfairly harsh training. Since no one else can understand it, Batman tells the Robins to train for four more hours.
- Distracted By The Shiny: He shows as much interest in soap bubbles and boxes as he does for traditional baby toys.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Whether it's due to being Batman's biological son, mimicking his brothers, or both, Terry is highly intelligent, adept at combat (y'know, for a baby), and easily manipulates people.
- Spoiled Brat/Spoiled Sweet: Tends to swing between the two, depending on who's taking care of him at the moment. He is well-behaved with Dick, bullies Tim around, and can hold his own against Jason's manipulative streak.
- We Named the Monkey Jack: Catwoman named Terry after her first cat.