open/close all folders
The Matoran and Toa races
The MatoranThe Matoran are the main race in Mata Nui's realm. A race of workers, one of their most prominent traits is that they're ready and willing to defend themselves no matter how big the threat. Divided into tribes corresponding to natural elements; the main ones are Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Stone, and Ice, and the tribe of Light also makes a prominent appearance.
- Abnormal Ammo: Metru Nui Matoran use Kanoka Disks (superpowered frisbees), while the Mahri Nui Matoran shoot solid bubbles of air (toxic to the waterbreathers assaulting them)
- Characterization Marches On: At least in the comic books, denizens of Le-Koro (also including Lewa) don't use Treespeak until the Mask of Light arc. When Lewa first speaks in this manner, in issue #13, the comic gives no explanation for him doing so.
- Color-Coded Elements: played straight with all tribes except Matoran of Light, who subvert it by being able to change colors and specifically avoid their native gold-and-white scheme.
- Hufflepuff House: Just about any tribe outside the main seven.
- Nanomachines: Given that Mata Nui is a Humongous Mecha, they would appear really tiny to him.
- One Gender Tribes: Again, the tribe of Light subverts this by being composed of both genders.
- And subverted again with Psionics, which is a female-only tribe save for their first member, a male Toa. Turns out he wasn't effective in peacefully dealing with Zyglak, so the rest of the Psionics Matoran are female on the grounds that they would be gentler with their powers. (However, the (female) Toa of Lightning he explains this to doubts that Women Are Wiser.)
- Personality Powers: Matoran personalities tend to match the tribe they belong to; fire is Hot-Blooded, ice is The Stoic, and so on. Occasionally subverted on an individual basis.
- Required Secondary Powers: but they only get the primary ones if/when they become Toa.
- Training the Peaceful Villagers: averted; they're either pre-trained or willing to get their hands dirty anyway.
- Weaksauce Weakness: A Matoran without its Kanohi mask will soon fall comatose.
The ToaThe heroes; Matoran chosen by Destiny to receive power and transform into benevolent protectors. Tend to work in six-member teams. Once they fulfill their purpose, they may be called upon to give up their power and become Turaga elders.
- All Your Colors Combined: six Toa can team up to Seal Evil In A Can as long as they are all different powers, and that Light and Shadow aren't both used.
- Combo Platter Powers: given the Elemental Powers and Mask of Power, although in some cases, they are compatible (Gali: Making a Splash and Artificial Gill; Lewa: Blow You Away and Not Quite Flight)
- Elemental Powers
- Major Elements:
- Minor Elements:
- Extra Ore Dinary (Toa of Iron)
- Psychic Powers (Toa of Psionics)
- Shock and Awe (Toa of Lightning)
- Make Me Wanna Shout (Toa of Sonics)
- Green Thumb (Toa of Plant Life/The Green/Jungle)
- Gravity Master (Toa of Gravity)
- Plasma Cannon (Toa of Plasma)
- Selective Magnetism / Magnetism Manipulation: (Toa of Magnetism)
- Elemental Absorption
- Elemental Punch: they can charge their Toa Tools with their powers
- Fusion Dance: three Toa can merge into a Toa Kaita
- Personality Powers: the Elemental Powers
- Person of Mass Destruction: Toa can perform Nova Blasts, which explosively releases all of their elemental powers.
- For comparison, only one Nova Blast has been shown in Canon. It's implied to have devastated and entire continent. In the Comics Jaller prepares to Heroic Sacrifice to let Matoro save Mata Nui. When they are transported back to Metru Nui, it's treated as a serious possibility that he might sink the island, thereby destroying the whole universe.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: into Toa, and again into Turaga
- Rapid Aging: When the Toa Metru give up their powers to awaken the Matoran.
- Power of the Storm: Elemental Powers such as Ice, Air, and Water can be used to manipulate the weather in regards to the power.
- Required Secondary Powers: which they already had since they were Matoran (except for the Toa Mata, who were created first as Toa rather than Matoran)
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Officially part of the "Toa Code" due to PR concerns, as Toa need the trust of the Matoran in order to operate effectively. Said code was probably loosened in wartime, but none of the Toa we meet take killing lightly. One Toa is known to have killed a Makuta under necessary circumstances, and he's still haunted by it.
The Toa Mata / Toa Nuva
Voiced by (in Mask of Light): Scott Mcneil (Tahu, Onua), Dale Wilson (Lewa), Kathleen Barr (Gali), Michael Dobson (Kopaka), Trevor Devall (Pohatu), Jason Michas (Takanuva, English), Mamoru Miyano (Takanuva, Japanese)
Great warriors with great power, drawn from the very elements themselves. Together, they were six heroes with one destiny: to defeat Makuta and save Mata Nui.The Toa Mata were created to get Mata Nui back on his feet if necessary, and put in stasis until they were needed. After awakening, they eventually gained enhanced Toa Nuva forms, and even later on were given Adaptive Armor that can alter its abilities for any terrainnote .
- Adaptive Armor: Given to them by Artakha.
- BFG/Frickin' Laser Beams: Adaptive Armor weaponry: Midak Skyblasters and Nynrah Ghostblasters
- Laser Sight: Kopaka Phantoka's mask and Blizzard Blade, Gali and Onua Mistika's Nynrah Ghost Blasters
- Bling-Bling-BANG!/Gold-Colored Superiority: the Golden Kanohi worn by the Toa Mata
- Bifurcated Weapon: Kopaka Nuva's Ice Blades, which split into ice skates, Tahu Nuva's Magma Blades, which also doubles as a lava-surfboard, and Pohatu Nuva's Climbing Claws, which combine into the Kodan Ball.
- Breaking the Fellowship: After becoming Toa Nuva, they decide that they each have enough power to protect their villages alone (mostly Tahu and Kopaka, with Gali being the major dissenter).
- Putting the Band Back Together: The Bohrok-Kal force this soon afterward.
- Cool Sword: Tahu, Kopaka, and Lewa have all wielded these in verious forms.
- Dual Wielding: Gali and Onua Mata, all of the Toa Nuva in their base forms, and Pohatu Phantoka
- Flight: Provided to all by Adaptive Armor (at least in the known Phantoka and Mistika forms).
- Forged by the Gods: The Golden Kanohi and Adaptive Armor were forged by Artakha, and the Golden Armor was forged by the Great Beings.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Unfortunately, the Laser Guide was off a bit and they forgot too much
- Morph Weapon: the Adaptive Armor
- Retronym: "Toa Mata"; they were originally just "the Toa" as they knew of no others
- Sealed Good in a Can: they were inside Toa Canisters until those transported them to Mata Nui. And again to Voya Nui.
- Super Empowering: the Kanohi Nuva the Toa wear can share their powers with other beings within range.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: In the early story arcs, Tahu and Kopaka never get along, and Gali is always frustrated trying to make them put their differences aside.
- Training from Hell: under Hydraxon in their Backstory.
- Tricked-Out Shoes: Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, and Onua Nuva, as mentioned, can attach their weapon to their feet for environmental transport. Lewa also has flip-out foot claws in Mask of Light.
- Unwitting Pawn
- And I pledge to you that as Toa of Fire I will do all I can to keep you and our home safe from harm. Remember — your bravery, your wisdom, your spirit, make you as mighty as any Toa!"
- Barrier Warrior: His Kanohi Hau, Mask of Shielding; its upgraded form can also protect those near the wearer.
- Bling-Bling-BANG!/Gold-Colored Superiority: His Golden Armor
- Brought Down to Badass: the Ignika reverts Tahu back into a Toa Mata, as the Golden Armor could only be used in that form.
- Flaming Sword: Tahu's Fire Sword (Mata form) and Magma Blades (Nuva form)
- Oddly Shaped Sword: Tahu Mata's Fire Sword
- Double Weapon: Tahu Nuva can do this with his Magma Swords, but he usually Dual Wields instead.
- Lava Adds Awesome: Tahu's Magma Blades
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Tahu Mistika's Rotating Blades
- Hot-Blooded: With Personality Powers to match.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Temperamental he may be, Tahu is still very much devoted to the Toa cause.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Tahu has a shield as part of his Golden Armor.
- Sword and Gun: In his Adaptive Armor
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Fittingly, he's the red to Kopaka's blue.
- Won The Superpower Lottery: Although all Toa have this to some extent, Tahu more than qualifies for this trope once he acquired the Golden Armor. It has granted him all 40+ Makuta powers, making him the most powerful Toa of all despite having been reverted to his original form.
If you wish to help me, fine. If you wish to talk... seek out Toa Lewa.The Toa of Ice, Kopaka is very cold and antisocial, leaving when his job is done, and butting heads with Tahu frequently. A skilled intellectual, his analytical mind has won many battles.
- Chainsaw-Grip BFG: How he holds his adaptive weapon.
- Double Weapon: Kopaka Nuva's Ice Blades.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: Kopaka's Akaku's right eye is covered by a device that functions as a scope. If one of the other Toa Mata/Nuva wore the Mask of X-Ray Vision, this would have happened to him/her as well.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's Not So Different with Tahu in this regard.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: His Ice Shield.
- The Stoic:
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Him and Gali received visions of the team combining into Akamai and Wairuha.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Fittingly, he's the blue to Tahu's red.
- Winged Humanoid: Kopaka Phantoka
- X-Ray Vision: His Kanohi Akaku, Mask of X-Ray Vision
- For despite all our interesting elemental powers we may have, I expect that our best weapon is our minds.
- An Axe to Grind: Gali Nuva's Aqua Axes
- Artificial Gill: Her Kanohi Kaukau, Mask of Underwater Breathing
- Hooks and Crooks: Gali Mata uses two
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Her and Kopaka received visions of the team combining into Akamai and Wairuha.
Lewa, mystery-king of know-nothingness. That's me!The Toa of Air, Lewa is wild, free-spirited, and always willing to help. Initially overconfident, his experiences being unwillingly controlled by the Makuta and Bohrok have wisened him up.
- An Axe to Grind: Lewa Mata's Axe
- BFS: Lewa Phantoka's Air Saber
- Katanas Are Just Better: Lewa Nuva's usual swords are called "Air Katanas"
- Fighting from the Inside: Happens to Lewa twice; once with an Infected Kanohi and the next a Krana.
- Grand Theft Me: Tren Krom suckered Lewa into a "Freaky Friday" Flip for a while, but thankfully Artakha set things right.
- Jetpack: Lewa Phantoka (though they're actually on his shoulders)
- Not Quite Flight: His Kanohi Miru, Mask of Levitation
- Sword and Gun: In his Adaptive Armor
- Winged Humanoid: Lewa Nuva, using his Air Katanas as wings.
Why not team up? It might make things easier.The Toa of Stone, Pohatu is a friendly, easygoing sort. Dependable and brave, he is a reliable ally who boosts morale among the team.
- Acrofatic: Subverted; if you pay attention in the online animations, you can notice that Pohatu makes heavy steps as he walks. Since he has the Mask of Speed, the weight makes no difference.
- Armed Legs: Pohatu's large, armored feet.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Pohatu Phantoka's Twin Propellers
- Extremity Extremist: Pohatu's main weapons are his feet.
- Lightning Bruiser: Thanks to his Mask of Speed paired with his natural strength.
- This Is a Drill: Pohatu Phantoka's Twin Propellers could work like this.
- Shoulder Cannon: Pohatu Phantoka's shoulder-mounted Midak Skyblaster
- Super Speed: His Kanohi Kamama, Mask of Speed
I believe I've done what I had to do. I've taken the first step toward the future. No one ever said the trip would be an easy one.The Toa of Earth, Onua is very wise and patient hero. A Toa of few words, he only speaks if the feels there is something necessary to be said.
- Chainsaw-Grip BFG: How he holds his adaptive weapon.
- Chainsaw Good: Onua Nuva's Quake Breakers; also used as Rollerblade Good.
- Creepy Good: Onua Mata. He's a completely black hunchback, with long arms, Sickly Green Glowing Eyes of Doom, Wolverine Claws that look like Creepy Long Fingers, and his mask makes him look like Jason Voorhes. And yet, not only is he a good guy, but also arguably the most level-headed and nicest of the team.
- Hockey Mask and Chainsaw: Again subverted, as he gets Quake Breakers when becomes a Toa Nuva, but otherwise has the same personality.
- The Quiet One
- Shoot the Dog: The group discovers they have to reawaken the Bohrok and let them destroy the island of Mata Nui as part of the preparations for Mata Nui's awakening. Onua winds up being the one who does it when the others can't bring themselves to.
- Super Strength: His Kanohi Pakari, Mask of Strength
- Wolverine Claws: Onua Mata's claws
Akamai and Wairuha
Three shall become myself, Akamai, and walk the path of the warrior.
Three shall become Wairuha, and walk the path of wisdom.The Toa Kaita are the fusion of three Toa. Akamai, the Toa of Valor, was formed from Tahu, Pohatu, and Onua, while Wairuha, the Toa of Wisdom, was formed from Kopaka, Gali, and Lewa. The Toa combined into them once to battle the Manas, and Wairuha was form once again to battle the Bohrok-Kal.
- All Your Powers Combined: Naturally, they had all the elemental and mask powers of their component Toa.
- Worf Had the Flu: Wairuha's second appearance. Not only was he deprived of his Elemental Powers, but the Bohrok-Kal could form a Kaita of their own!
Takua / Takanuva
You know me — always different!Takua was an adventurous and eager Matoran who became Takanuva, the first and so far only Toa of Light. He's still unsure of himself in the role of a hero, but very willing to step up to the cause. Word of God says that he is the very first Matoran built by the Great Beings.
- Amplifier Artifact: the Power Lance
- Awesome Backpack: in the Mata Nui Online Game
- Blade on a Stick: Staff of Light originally, Power Lance in Karda Nui, then ...
- Dual Wielding: ... by Bara Magna he has twin Light Staffs.
- Care-Bear Stare: his Mask of Light
- Casting a Shadow: Gained Shadow powers briefly while corrupted in Karda Nui.
- Cool Bike: The Ussanui, a hovering motorcycle-like mount built mostly from the bodies of Makuta's Rahkshi
- The Dreaded: To all Makuta as "The Toa of Light", with them being shadow-based creatures.
- Elemental Eye Colors: Takanuva, Toa of Light has yellow eyes, representing his light-based powers. His first toy also came with yellow eyes, though later incarnations changed them to lime green.
- The Exile: in Quest for the Toa for his poor work ethic, but he's later allowed back.
- Featureless Protagonist: At first, he was the Player Character in the first Mata Nui Online Game.
- Flight: Temporarily in Karda Nui, thanks to a virus given by Krika in the Toa Empire Pocket Dimension
- Frickin' Laser Beams: The Midak Skyblaster he used in Karda Nui
- Fusion Dance: With Makuta into Takutanuva (Not an inherent ability but via a quick dip in a bath of Energized Protodermis)
- Guile Hero: Scored many victories against the Rahi and Bohrok when he was still a Matoran strictly by using strategy and leadership.
- I Have Many Names: Protagonist example. He was called Takua, later occasionally called "The Chronicler" during the course of the Mata Nui Online Game, later upgrades to "Takuanuva", the Toa of Light.
- It Was with You All Along: Takua's journey to find the Toa of Light ended with him becoming the Toa of Light.
- Light 'em Up / Holy Hand Grenade
- Master of Illusion: He's learned to manipulate light to create holograms.
- Our Giants Are Bigger: In Karda Nui; the location's unique Light energies made him grow to at least ten feet tall.
- Paint It Black/Red Right Hand: When corrupted with Shadow, the gold parts of his armor turned black
- Sixth Ranger: An unofficial one to the Toa Nuva. And a textbook example, even being referred to as "the Seventh Toa" before his identity was revealed.
- The Slacker: As Takua, he was infamous for doing very little work, to the point that others joked he had an entire squad of Vahki to make sure he did his job. This largely went away when he became Takanuva, most likely due to the greater importance of his duty. (That, and his job is more adventuring and heroism than hard work.)
- Superpowered Evil Side: In Karda Nui when he lost part of his light.
- Supporting Leader: Before becoming a Toa, that is.
- Sword and Gun: Staff and Gun, actually, in Karda Nui
- Trapped in Another World: Three times in a row before actually getting to Karda Nui in his own universe.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Jaller, who was occasionally annoyed by Takua's adventuring antics as a Matoran.
- Vocal Dissonance: In Mask of Light he sounds like a young teenager both before and after becoming the Toa of Light.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: For a brief period, but it was there.
The chieftians of the villages of Mata Nui, who got A Day in the Limelight for the Bionicle Adventures saga, so go to that section for information on them.
Matoran of Mata Nui
Note: Jaller, Hahli, Kongu, Hewkii, Nuparu, and Matoro become Ascended Extras during the Bionicle Legends saga, so go to that section for information on them.
I am Onepu, High Commander of the Ussalry, Veteran of the Makuta Wars, Right Hand of Turaga Whenua, and Champion Kolhii Forward of Onu-Koro. At your service, my Lady.He's the captain of the Ussalry, the military force of Onu-Koro. Rather haughty and quick to pawn off his labor to Taipu.
- Purple Is Powerful: Well, powerful for a Matoran, anyway.
The Chronicler's CompanyA group of Matoran whom Takua banded together to defend Kini-Nui from Rahi while the Toa fought Makuta. They've since reunited to help out the survivors of Teridax's reign, minus Kapura and Hafu, who are lost on Bota Magna.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: A gassy slowpoke, a troublesome adventurer, a narcissitic statue maker, a Kindhearted Simpleton, an acrophobic chatterbox, and a shy ice carver.
It is as Vakama said. I practiced and became skilled. I now know the secret art of traveling great distances by moving very slowly. It is only a small matter for me to be wherever I am not. It is a useful skill.The other Matoran never thought much of the slow-to-act Kapura, but Vakama knew how wise he truly was, and taught him the art traveling quickly by moving slowly.
- Gasshole: He let off a few fiery blasts from his backside in the Mata Nui Online Game.
- Riddle for the Ages: How does his practice of traveling quickly by moving slowly work? Not even Word of God knows. All we know is he's really good at it.
Maku / Macku
It is good to be on an adventure with you again! I thought Nokama would keep me locked up in the village forever.She's a talented girl with a thirst for adventure, who often snuck out of the village to slate said thirst and cavort with the apple of her eye, Hewkii.
- Bearded Lady: her choice of mask makes her look the part.
Another Hafu original!Hafu is a Matoran of many skills, most prominently carving, as was very proud and boastful of that fact.
- Pride: To be fair, he does have the talent to back his boasts up.
A long time ago many rocks fell on my head. That did not hurt much. Neither do these Rahi.Taipu can be very gullible, but he's nontheless a loyal, hard-working sort with a big heart.
- Dumb Muscle: Onepu liked to trick him into doing his work as well as his own.
Highbranch home locked and protected. Downtree guard am I, set here because... I fly not.A spirited yet clumsy Le-Matoran whose dream of flying is dashed by his fear of heights,
Only hardy Matoran can withstand the wind and ice of Ko-Koro. These Rahi will find me tough to overcome.Kopeke was merely shy as opposed to the antisocial people of his village, but his talent as an ice carver is second to none. He is the the current Chronicler.
Legends of Mata Nui
Mata Nui was the Great Spirit who was sent by the Great Beings to look after the world, until he was put to sleep a thousand years ago by his brother Makuta. Mata Nui and the Great Beings were Minor Major Characters until their secrets were revealed in the Bara Magna saga, so go to that section for information on them.
I am the shape in the shadows. I am the darkness in the heart of Mata Nui. I live in the dread stories told by the Turaga around the village fires. The dark creatures — the Manas, the Rahi — are my servants. I am Makuta.Voiced by (in films): Lee TockarThe Big Bad. Executed a daring plan to wrest control of the universe away from Mata Nui and it worked. His real name is Teridax, but he prefers to go by his title of "Makuta" (specified as "the Makuta of Metru Nui" when there's more than one Makuta around) to the point that few outside his brother Makuta know what his real name even is.
- Blade on a Stick: Staff of Darkness
- Body Horror: in "The Kingdom" pocket dimension, where he absorbed the mass of his fellow Brotherhood members, in addition to their knowledge.
- Assimilation Backfire: absorbing Matoro ends up killing them both, as Matoro was able to fight back as his will was greatly weakened after the failure of his plan in that universe.
- The Chessmaster: When he has around 80,000 years to plan, and even succeed at near the end, Makuta definitely counts as one of the greatest of these.
- Characterization Marches On: In his first appearances, he was basically Giygas and Zeromus if they were a swirling mass of mechanical body parts. Nowadays, he's a much more conventional villain.
- Classic Villain: Representing Ambition and Envy
- Cool Mask / Mask of Power: his Mask Of Shadow
- Dead Alternate Counterpart: Inverted and subverted initially; Mazeka returns to the main dimension with a good version of Teridax from an alternate dimension. In the main dimension, the Teridax here is the Big Bad who recently managed to takeover Mata Nui's body and the entire Matoran Universe. Later, in a giant robot fight between Teridax and Mata Nui in the Prototype Robot, Teridax is killed after a Colony Drop by a planet hits his head.
- Drop the Hammer: His good twin from an alternate universe carries a warhammer.
- Eldritch Abomination: During the first few years of the Matoran Arc. He's been downgraded to The Chessmaster, but some elements of this still remain.
- Eviler Than Thou: provoked the Brotherhood/Dark Hunter War, shattered Karzahni's mind, challenged the Barraki (though he threw that fight), and eliminated the other Makuta
- Expecting Someone Taller: For his very first actual appearance at the end of the Mata Nui Online Game, Makuta takes the form of a Matoran to mess with everyone.
- Fatal Flaw: Arrogance. Once his plan came to fruition, he became so sure of his godly power that he didn't bother to outright smite his enemies, Just Toying with Them. As a result, the only casualties of his reign were C-List Fodder, and Mata Nui was able to turn the tables on him in their Final Battle.
- For the Evulz: In the Mask of Light movie, Makuta decides to toy with Takanuva in "a simple game of Kolhii".
- Hijacking Cthulhu: Taking over Mata Nui's body.
- I Am the Noun: "I am Brotherhood Law!" And later, "I am the universe!"
- Killed Off for Real: Subverted more times than it's funny, most, if not all of which were part of The Plan Then played straight. But his benevolent alternate-self still lives.
- Last of His Kind (In a Self-Made Orphan kind of way, though he did leave Miserix merely trapped to have something to gloat over.)
- Manipulative Bastard: He sometimes succeeds in manipulating some of the protagonists, which in turn compliments his association with the Chessmaster trope.
- Mook Maker: he can spawn Kraata to make Rahkshi.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: during the Metru Nui arc
- Power Gives You Wings: after fusing Nivawk with himself, he gains its wings.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: when he takes over Mata Nui's body, the body's eyes turn red.
- Satanic Archetype: A Fallen Hero from one of Mata Nui's elite soldiers, grew envious of Mata Nui, wants to supplant him and rightly believes himself capable of doing so, an absolute master of manipulation... yeah, that sound about right.
- Sociopathic Hero: before becoming a villain
- Winged Humanoid: his "Ultimate Dume" form
- Xanatos Gambit: He put the Great Spirit Mata Nui to sleep and on the verge of death while he took over in the power vacuum — but if some heroes would arise to heal Mata Nui and wake him up again (something which Makuta was clever enough to expect would happen), then he could usurp the revival process and commit Grand Theft Me, essentially becoming the God of that world. Eight years of storyline passed before this was revealed.
Makuta: "Little Toa, you have not yet begun to see even the barest outlines of my plans. I have schemes within schemes that would boggle your feeble mind. You may counter one, but there are a thousand more of which you know nothing. Even my... setbacks... are planned for, and so I shall win in the end."
- A quote from Time Trap says it best.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: He didn't take the rescue of the Matoran of Metru Nui into account, though managed to get past that. When part of his plan called for leaving his body, he didn't expect it to be destroyed by the end, but he still managed to keep his plan going smoothly, taking over Mata Nui's body and the Matoran World within it at the end of 2008's arc.
- You Are Too Late: Probably just about as powerful and as awesome as the former Trope Namer
- You Can't Fight Fate: In a more ironic fashion — he and his species were originally created to help Mata Nui restore the shattered Spherus Magna to its original state, but he rebelled against that to take the universe for himself. During the final battle with Mata Nui, he ended up pulling the fragments closer together and was killed when one crushed his head. But because he brought them so close to the planet, Mata Nui was able to finish the restoration on his own.
Tarakava, Tarakava NuiA strange reptilian Rahi that hunts by lurking beneath the water and ambushing with powerful punches. They are one of many Rahi species that Makuta controlled via Infected Masks to attack the Matoran of Mata Nui. Makuta also bred a stronger mutant specimen called the Tarakava Nui sometime prior to the enactment of his plan.
- Informed Species: Do they really look like lizards?!
- King Mook / Unique Enemy: The Tarakava Nui
- Non-Standard Character Design: They're they only Bionicle sets to make a significant use of LEGO System bricks, having a System-built midsection.
- Underground Monkey: There exists a smaller, desert-dwelling subspecies known as the Sand Tarakava.
Nui-Rama, Nui-KopenThese irritable insects fly at high speeds attacking with wings, claws, and stingers. The Nui-Rama and Nui-Kopen are bitter enemies due to the fact that they share the same prey, but Makuta's Infected Masks will certainly make them cooperate against the island's do-gooders.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Specifically, the Nui-Rama are flies, and the Nui-Kopen are wasps.
Nui-JagaThese vicious, hotheaded scorpions posess powerful stingers that can either shoot venom from afar or deliver a deadlier blow up close. Naturally, they were perfect for Makuta to enslave with his Infected Masks.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: The first Bionicle creatures to do so, long before the Vorox were even an idea.
- Dumb Muscle: Their main weakness. They can easily be tricked into attacking their own reflection with a sheet of crystal.
Muaka, Kane-Ra, Kuma-NuiOne might not think of tigers and bulls to be similar animals, but try telling that to these beasts. With lunging necks and powerful bites, Makuta enslaved them in his bought against the island of Mata Nui, often teaming them up despite them not naturally coexisting. Worse still, the rat-like Kuma-Nui is surprisingly larger and packs a similar bite.
Manas, Mana KoThese savage crab Rahi served as the guardians of Makuta's lair. Smarter than most Rahi and powered by heat, the Toa could only stand a chance against them by combining into the Toa Kaita. The Mana Ko, rumored to be Mukata's ultmate guardian, could fire blasts of disintegrative power on top of all that.
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Disintegrator Ray: The Mana Ko has this power.
- Genius Bruiser: Compared to most Rahi, at least
Gukko, KahuThis majestic, four-winged hummingbird Rahi are usually docile, yet highly effective defenders. After ages of difficulty, the Le-Matoran eventually managed to train these birds to serve as mounts for their military, the Gukko Force. There are three named subspecies of Gukko: the hawk-like Kahu (whose wings glow in flight), the vulture-like Kewa, and the duck-like Taku.
- Noble Bird of Prey: Kewa and Kahu
Ussal crab (Puku / Pewku)Strong, swift, and friendly, Ussal crabs are Matoran's best friend. They are often employed for cart-hauling, racing, and acting as mounts for Onu-Koro's military, the Ussalry. One Ussal named Pewku has grown a lot older and bigger than most, and has been passed down through many owners, such as Orkham and Takua.
The Bohrok Swarm
Bohrok are insectoid drones whose main purpose was to clean all matter from the island of Mata Nui. Unlike the other biomechanical races, they were mechanical drones driven by organic Krana parasites. Initially awakened by Makuta, the Bohrok swarms were defeated by the Toa Mata when the Toa trapped the Bohrok's twin Bahrag queens in a cage of solid Protodermis.It was later revealed that their purpose is to ensure that the camouflage of flora on Mata Nui's face is gone in preparation for him returning to an upright position, and that they were awakened too early. The swarms were thusly reawakened by the Toa Nuva to resume their quest of destruction, and have since gone back to sleep when their mission was completed.
- Be the Ball: They curled themselves up into balls for faster travel and hibernation.
- Chainsaw Good: the Kohrak's Ice Shield resemble buzzsaws
- Elemental Powers
- Face Hugger: Their Krana could latch onto Matoran faces, making them part of the Swarm.
- Fusion Dance: They could do this, but only one group of Bohrok-Kal has been known to.
- Human Resources: Nuparu built the Boxor mech out of Bohrok parts. Later made Fridge Horror when it was discovered that Bohrok are transformed Matoran of Light.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: They carried twin shields to focus their powers
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Subversion in that they aren't evil, just awakened too early. Eventually they are freed to continue their job. Though the Bahrag seem quite quick to use Mind Rape.
- Use Your Head: They could snap their heads forward like a jackhammer.
- Was Once a Man: A small percentage of Av-Matoran were destined to transform into Bohrok at some point in their lives.]]
Bohrok VaThe Bohrok Va were robot drones that act as scouts and couriers for the Bohrok, replenishing any lost Krana. Unlike their bigger cousins, the Bohrok Va are not Krana-driven, and thus not as easily incapacitated.
Now Mata Nui will be as it was in the Before-Time! All that does not belong will be removed... beginning with you!Cahdok and Gahdok, collectively known as the Bahrag, are the twin queens of the Bohrok Swarms, talapathically controlling them through their Krana.
- All Your Powers Combined: They had all the powers of the six Bohrok breeds.
- Identical Twin ID Tags: Cahdok is blue and has long, thin antennae, whereas Gahdok is red and has short, flat antennae.
- Telepathy: The way they communicate
Bohrok-KalThey are an elite squad of Bohrok born from an unknown mutagenic substance. Posessing unique Elemental Powers and indepenedently-minded Krana-Kal, their mission is to rescue the Bahrag should anything happen to incapacitate them.
- Death by Irony: After the Toa Nuva pump the Bohrok-Kal full of elemental energy through the Nuva symbols they stole, all of the Bohrok-Kal's powers go crazy and destroy them. To wit;
- Tahnok-Kal's electricity causes all of its moving parts to be fused together and (presumably) fries the Krana-Kal inside of it
- Gahlok-Kal's magnetism attracts all of the damaged Exo-Toa parts in the room to it, crushing it under their combined weight
- Lehvak-Kal's vacuum absorbs and releases enough air pressure in the area to blast it into orbit around Aqua Magna (along with the Tahnok swarm that Nuhvok-Kal sent up there)
- Nuhvok-Kal's gravity manipulation causes it to collapse into a singularity and vanish from existence
- Pahrak-Kal's plasma superheats its body and causes it to melt through the chamber floor and keep going until it hits the planet's core
- Kohrak-Kal's sonics cause it to create a frequency that literally shakes itself apart (also one of the only instances of a character being forcibly disassembled)
- Elemental Powers
- Hoist by His Own Petard: They stole the Toa's Nuva Symbols, both to rob the Toa Nuva of their powers and reverse their seal that imprisoned the Bahrag. This became their undoing, as the Toa were still connected to their symbols, and could overload the Bohrok-Kal's powers.
- Palette Swap: They were physically alike their regular cousins, and thus had the same features (Their shields, rolling, and headbutting abilities)
- Telepathy: Their Krana-Kal communicate this way.
Suits of armor operated by sluglike creatures called Kraata, which are spawned from the Makuta. They are used by the Brotherhood of Makuta as part of their army.There are 42 types of Rahkshi, each possessing one of a Makuta's many powers. The main ones are the named Rahkshi that Makuta sent after the Mask of Light: Turahk, Rahkshi of Fear, Guurahk, Rahkshi of Disintegration, Lerahk, Rahkshi of Poison, Panrahk, Rahkshi of Fragmentation, Vorahk, Rahkshi of Hunger, and Kurahk, Rahkshi of Anger. Makuta also used Rahkshi of Heat Vision in his invasion of Bara Magna.
- Emotion Bomb: Turahk (fear) and Kurahk (anger)
- Eye Beams: Rahkshi of Heat Vision
- Fighting Your Friend: Kurahk likes to turn his foes against one another, as shown when he hits Tahu, making the Toa of Fire attack Gali.
- Fusion Dance: Rahkshi Kaita Vo and Za once
- Implacable Man: They spend most of Mask of Light powering through most of the Toa's powers.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu / Mauve Shirt: The six named Rahkshi take a story arc's worth of time to kill. But facing them down by the dozen makes them easy Cannon Fodder. Could have a Real Life justification, as LEGO didn't allow the writers to let their characters use swords the traditional way at first.
- Possibly justified in-story, as it's known that Kraata come in varying qualities, making it plausible that the six named Rahkshi were made from very high quality Kraata and the others were mass-produced weaker versions.
- Poisonous Person: Lerahk
- Power Glows: Panrahk and Lerahk's Kratta and spines glow when using their powers.
- Simple Staff: every Rahkshi's tool
- Throw It In: When Lego ended up making several colors of Kraata instead of just six for the named Rahkshi, writer Greg Farshtey made up a list of powers for them and canonized it.
- Unstoppable Rage: Kurahk, and it can make others in this state as well.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Without their staffs, a Rahkshi's powers are either weaker or completely inaccessable.
- Zerg Rush: Makuta summoned every Rahkshi on Metru Nui to attack Voporak as a distraction. These Rahkshi disintegrated when they reached Voporak's temporal zone that aged them into dust.
The Toa Metru / Toa Hordika / Turaga
Just before Mata Nui fell asleep, the Toa Metru were empowered to protect and rescue the Matoran of Metru Nui from the coming disaster. They spent some of this time mutated into half-beast Toa Hordika, and have since retired to lead the Matoran as Turaga elders.Turaga voiced by (in films): Christopher Gaze (Vakama), Lesley Ewen (Nokama), Dale Wilson (Onewa)Toa Metru voiced by (in films): Alessandro Juliani (Vakama), Tabitha St. Germain (Nokama), Brian Drummond (Matau, Onewa), Paul Dobson (Whenua), Trevor Devall (Nuju)
- All Webbed Up: Prior to the Toa Metru's transformation into Toa Hordika
- Badass Bookworm: Nokama (teacher), Whenua (historian), and Nuju (scholar)
- Caped Mecha: In the movies, the Turaga are depicted with robes
- Dual Wielding: All six in both of their Toa forms, except for Vakama Metru
- Five-Man Band
- How Do I Shot Web?: Activating their mask powers
- Mr. Exposition: As Turaga. Eventually deconstructed as the Toa Nuva start wondering why they have a handy legend to pull out whenever a new enemy emerges.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Hordika mutations, though Vakama took it farther than the others.
- Transformation Trauma: The Hordika mutations
And something else... our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves.Vakama started life as a simple mask maker before becomming a Toa. He struggled with insecurity and self-doubt in his role, and had strange visions of the future well. Eventually, he overcame his issues, and used the wisdom of his past to become a kind and encouraging Turaga.
- Invisibility Cloak: His Kanohi Huna, Mask of Concealment
- Jetpack: Vakama Metru's Disk Launcher doubles as one.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Vakama when the Hordika arc starts.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Inverted, Vakama gets green eyes when during his Face–Heel Turn, but gets his original red eyes back in his Heel–Face Turn.
- When Elders Attack: Turaga Vakama whacks a Rahkshi on the head with his Firestaff, though it really doesn't do much.
Makuta wanted us to turn on each other, fight among ourselves, so that he could succeed. But we stopped him. And we will go on stopping him and others like him. It's who we are — it's what we do.Nokama enjoyed life as a teacher before becomming a Toa. She is peaceful and wise as one would expect, but also rather talkative and not much for compromise.
- Epic Flail: Nokama Metru's Hydro Blades
- Prongs of Poseidon: Turaga Nokama's Trident
- Spin to Deflect Stuff: Nokama Metru used her Hydro Blades this way
- Translator Microbes: Her Kanohi Rau, Mask of Translation
- Speaks Fluent Animal: It also translates Rahi-speak at Toa level.
Mata Nui loves ever-brave fools. That's why he made so many of us.Matau was just as impulsive and quick-witted as one would expect of someone who worked as a test driver. While glory-seeking and vain as a Toa, he eventually wisened into a respectable Turaga, though his humourous streak certainly never left.
- Chainsaw Good: Matau's Kau Kau Staff, which is basically a Simple Staff with a buzzsaw on the head.
- Cool Sword: Matau Metru's Aero Slicers, arguably Matau Hordika's Fang Blades
- Master of Illusion: His Kanohi Mahiki, Mask of Illusion. At Toa level, it resembles Shapeshifting, but Greg Farshtey says that you only look like you're shapeshifting, as your physical form doesn't change.
- Watch Out for That Tree!: A Running Gag in Legends of Metru Nui for Matau slamming into solid objects.
- Winged Humanoid: Matau Metru with his Aero Slicers as wings
So we bend the rules. Hey, you can't make a sculpture without shattering some protodermis, right?Onewa was one of the best carvers in Metru Nui prior to becoming a Toa. While a courageous wise-cracker, he was also rather impulsive and pessimistic. Thankfully, he mellowed out as a Turaga, and was celebrated for his skill at settling disputes, earning the nickname "the Referee".
- Always Someone Better: Onewa was this to Ahkmou, leading to the latter's bitterness and resentment.
- Drop the Hammer: Turaga Onewa's Stone Hammer
- Epic Flail: Toa Onewa's Proto Pitons and Claw Clubs
- Mind Control: His Kanohi Komau, Mask of Mind Control (but the control only lasts as long as he keeps his focus)
The future will bring the answers to your questions, but only if you stop speaking long enough to notice them.Witty and quick to voice his dislike for anything, Nuju, as other scholars, stressed the importance of looking toward the future. As a Turaga, he speaks solely in the tongue of flying Rahi, feeling that only those willing to put forth the effort to understand him are worth his time.
- Animal Talk: Nuju, learned as a Toa Hordika from Kualus and used as a Turaga. Specifically, it's bird talk.
- Cool Sword: Nuju Hordika's Hordika Teeth
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: Built into Toa Nuju's mask by Vakama when they were Matoran.
- Mind over Matter: His Kanohi Matatu, Mask of Telekinesis
- Powerful Pick: Turaga Nuju's Ice Pick
- Tricked-Out Shoes: Nuju Metru's Crystal Spikes could be used as snowshoes.
- The Unintelligible: Turaga Nuju, by choice, using the bird language as taught by Kualus. He had Matoro be his Translator Buddy most of the time.
When I was younger, I believed all answers could be found in the past. I still believe the past should be our teacher.Before becoming a Toa, Whenua worked in an enormous museum called the Archives. Thus, he greatly believes in the importance of learning from the past, which put him at odds with the future-minded Nuju.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Whenua Metru's Earthshock Drills
- Night-Vision Goggles: His Kanohi Ruru, Mask of Night Vision
- Pile Bunker: Whenua Hordika's Thumpers
- This Is a Drill: Whenua's Earthshock Drills (as a Toa Metru) and "Drill of Onua" (as a Turaga)
Matoran of Metru Nui
These six Matoran knew the location of the Great Disks that the Toa Metru needed in their quest. Unfortunately, they had lass than positive relationships with their respective Toa back when they were Matoran, and most of them had their own plans for the disks, and worse still, there was a traitor in their midst...
I admit it, I've always been jealous of your skill as a mask-maker. I thought that if I turned that special Kanoka disk into a mask, it would outshine anything you had ever done.Nuhrii was Vakama's mask-making mentor, who grew jealous when the student surpassed the master. He planned to forge the Great Disk he found into a mask unlike any other.
Now that Nokama has become a Toa, she has no time for me... But she'll be sorry. Once I find that special Kanoka disk, everyone will forget about her... just like she's forgotten about me!Vhisola was incredibly posessive of Nokama, and got jealous anytime she hung out with anyone else. Once Nokama became a Toa, her jealousy reached a apex, and she sought the Great Disk to get even with her.
Only you would be foolish enough, reckless enough, to come after me here. You were a danger to everyone on the road as a rider, and you will probably be a danger as a Toa, too. But thank you.Orkahm was Matau's rival back on Le-Metru. Slow, meticulous, and unimaginative, he had a particular distaste for Matau's recklessness.
I'm going to show them. If I turn over the Great Kanoka Disk like I said I would, I'll learn a secret that will make them beg me to join a Knowledge Tower!Ehrye was a mere errand boy for the seers and scholars of the Knowledge Towers, longing to join them, but lacking the patience and quietness to do so. He thought the Great Disk would be his key to joining them for real.
Tehutti's always here, Toa Whenua. He spends his whole life down with the exhibits.A hardheaded Archivist who wanted to make his mark in the Archives, above all else.
- The Unfettered: A negative example.
If you five want to risk your lives, go ahead, but count me out. I'm looking out for what's most important: me.Selfish and amoral, Ahkmou was the traitor who allied with the Dark Hunters in the quest for the Great Disks out of jealousy. He was lost in the mass exodus from Metru Nui to Mata Nui, until Makuta found him and spun a web of lies to sway him on his side. He caused an epidemic in Po-Koro by selling infected Kohlii balls, and was appointed honorary "Turaga" by Makuta during his reign.
- It's All About Me: Everything Ahkmou does is in his self-interest.
- Token Evil Teammate: While the other Great Disk Matoran weren't exactly upstanding people, they at least weren't as outright antagonistic as Ahkmou.
Metru Nui leadership
I'll see this city reduced to rubble... with not even two bricks still together... before I let your kind take root here.The Turaga of Metru Nui, Dume was stubborn and not as close to the Matoran as other Turaga were, but nontheless fiercely devoted to his city's protection. Makuta briefly captured and posed as him for his plan, but the Toa Metru eventually rescued him, and he resumed leadership of his city.
Faithful Matoran, Metru Nui needs you. A shadow threatens its heart. Prove yourselves worthy Toa, and fear not. The Great Spirit shall guide you in ways that you could not imagine.Voiced by (in Legends of Metru Nui): Michael DobsonA well-respected veteran Toa of Fire. One of the last protectors of Metru Nui before the Great Cataclysm, and disappeared just before the Toa Metru were created.
- Barrier Warrior: His Mask of Shielding
- Cool Sword
- Expy: Set-wise, he's pretty much Tahu (in his original form, but with his Nuva-form's swords).
- Up to Eleven in the Russian dub, in which they share voice actors (although he puts on a different voice for Lhikan, playing him as more level-headed and wise, while Tahu was played as a boisterous bruiser).
- Legendary in the Sequel: Well, from flashback to present
Robotic enforcers of order in the city of Metru Nui. They unquestioningly followed the orders of the honorable Turaga Dume (and, sadly, not-so-honorable impostors); and with their Black and White Morality they couldn't be reasoned with, leaving lawbreakers with the options to surrender or run.Most Vahki were destroyed in the Great Cataclysm, but those who survived had their programming warped in a power surge, leading them to decide that law could be best kept if there were nobody alive to break it. However, they got wiped out in the Visorak invasion, and after the Matoran returned to the city a thousand years later the Turaga elected not to rebuild them.There are six main models of Vahki, one for each district: Zadakh, Rorzakh, Bordakh, Nuurakh, Vorzakh, and Keerakh. There are also two special models for emergencies, the Kraahu and Kranua. Also of note were the Krahli, a previous attempt at robotic law enforcers that were a failure, some of which fled dismantlement and became an obstacle against the Toa Metru.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: After the Great Cataclysm, an energy surge caused the Vahki's speech processors to slow down and made them think that eliminating anything alive was best in preserving the law.
- Bubble Gun / Beware My Stinger Tail: The Krahli fought trouble by shooting bubbles from their tails which drained the energy from its targets. The problem was that it left Matoran too drained to work.
- Black and White Morality: Well, they are machines.
- Detachment Combat: Kraahu; they often detach their legs in six different directions, while the other parts monitored the area.
- Dual Wielding: Each Vahki wields two staffs.
- Elective Unintelligible: They can speak the Matoran language, but high pitched so that others could not hear. At least prior to the Great Cataclysm.
- Flawed Prototype: The Krahli
- Flight: Prior to the Great Cataclysm
- Mecha-Mooks: They are mass-produced in Ta-Metru and Po-Metru.
- Elite Mooks: Kraahu and Kranua
- Mind Manipulation: All the main models had built-in staffs that messed with lawbreakers' heads.
- Charm Person: Bordak's Staffs of Loyalty, causes the target to act as an agent for the Bordakh
- Compelling Voice: Nuurakh's Staffs of Command: fills the target's head with a single, overriding command
- Hypno Fool: Zadakh's Staff of Suggestion: causes the target to be more susceptible to following suggestions
- Phlebotinum-Induced Stupidity: Vorzakh's Staffs of Erasing: erases the victim's memory, leaving motor functions intact
- Seeing Through Another's Eyes: Rorzakh's Staffs of Presence: allows the Rorzakh to track the target's movements and behaviors from a distance
- Standard Status Effects (Confusion): Keerakh's Staffs of Confusion: scrambles the victim's sense of time and place
- Pulling Themselves Together: after the Great Cataclysm
- Run or Die: The tagline for the Vahki was a Never Say "Die" version: "Surrender or run".
- Scary Scorpions: The Krahli looked the part, in a Four-Legged Insect kind of way.
- Simple Staff: Subverted; their staffs have a wide variety of abilities.
- Super Smoke: Kranua. More like sand than smoke, but same principle.
- Transforming Mecha: could switch between humanoid and insectoid configurations
- Zeroth Law Rebellion
The Dark Hunters
A group of mercenaries led by "the Shadowed One", with enough of a power base to give the Makuta a decent fight. Once worked with the Brotherhood, until Makuta provoked a war with them.
- Code Name: Most Dark Hunters go by code names to maintain secrecy.
- Eviler Than Thou: The Brotherhood/Dark Hunter War
- Face–Heel Turn / Was Once a Man: Nidhiki, along with several minor Hunters such as Savage and Spinner were once Toa, and Firedracax, Gatherer, Phantom, and Subterranean were once Matoran.
- Killed Off for Real: Several, such as Ancient and Guardian.
"The Shadowed One"
The Dark Hunters — for thousands of years, that name has brought fear into the hearts of everyone from Toa to members of the Brotherhood of Makuta itself. Gathered from every corner of the universe, these thieves, enforcers, and monstrosities have come together in an organization whose reach extends into every council chamber and every shadowy corner.As charismatic as he is ruthless and sadistic, the Shadowed One runs the Dark Hunter organization with an iron fist. Arrogant and prideful, anyone who displeases or vies him does so at their own peril.
- Berserk Button: The Shadowed One takes his pride as a leader very seriously. Any Dark Hunter who fails is dead. A Dark Hunter who betrays him will wish for death. Should anyone kill one of his Hunters, he'll make them pay, and if that someone has an army, he'll declare war!
- Blade on a Stick: His Staff of Protodermis
- Eye Beams: The Shadowed One's eye lasers can disintegrate almost anyone.
- No Name Given: The Shadowed One's true name is lost to time.
- The Starscream: Deliberately invoked by the Shadowed One,who specifically hired a Dark Hunter codenamed "Darkness" to constantly watch him, and kill him if he ever shows a sign of weakness.
- You Have Failed Me: The Shadowed One does not tolerate failure, to the point of having a Dark Hunter, conveniently codenamed "Eliminator", with the specific task of eliminating any Hunter that fails their mission, and finishing the mission himself.
SentrakhThe results of experiments to make more obedient Dark Hunters, Sentrakh is the Shadowed One's undead bodyguard, having no existence beyond serving him.
VoporakFormerly a clan leader on the island of Stelt, Voporak was subject to several mutagenic processes by the Brotherhood of Makuta, making him a being with deadly time powers. He was loaned to the Dark Hunters to learn disipline, where he became their loyal servant, helping them track down the Mask of Time.
- Time Master: Voporak can willingly give off a temporal force field that drastically ages anything thrown at him, this power becoming extremely potent through touch. His abilities however have no effect on the Mask of Time itself. Voporak is also sensitive to fluctuations in the fabric of time, allowing him to sense the use of and track the Kanohi Vahi. His Rhotuka has the ability to distort an opponent’s sense of time, knocking their perception of time backwards by several seconds.
- Walking Wasteland: The aforementioned time-dilation field makes him able to annihilate entire areas by simply walking around in them.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Only one weakness was ever exploited against Voporak, which was taking away air so he could not breathe. Teridax thought of this approach during his battle with The Shadowed One.
NidhikiNidhiki voiced by (in Legends of Metru Nui): Paul Dobson
You think you can save Metru Nui, little flame? You are just a Matoran with delusions of adequacy.Nidhiki was once a Toa of Air alongside Lhikan, until the shadowy Lariska convinced him to betray Metru Nui to the Dark Hunters. Lhikan turned the tables and had Nidhiki banished, where his reputation as a traitor ensured he wasn't trusted for any real missions. His attempts to buy passage and start anew were met with horrible mutation, ensuring he wouldn't be anything but a Dark Hunter.
- Brains and Brawn: The brain to Krekka's brawn.
- Fatal Flaw: Ambition and selfishness
- Invisibility Cloak: Toa Nidhiki's Mask of Stealth had near-invisibility
- Karmic Transformation: Nidhiki being mutated into a insect-like being, the very thing he feared.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: "Well, I'll find a place where they need a Toa, and aren't too particular about that kind. And if Lhikan or one of those Metru Nui heroes tries to take it away from me, I'll make them regret the day they put on a Kanohi. All I need is for Roodaka to help me get what I deserve..." Next thing he knew, Roodaka did just that.
- Sinister Scythe: He wielded an Air Scythe as a Toa.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Nidhiki was afraid of insects as a Toa, making his mutation an ironic one.
KrekkaKrekka voiced by (in Legends of Metru Nui): Michael Dobson
Shadowed One says everything goes back to him. Nothing gets left.Krekka's brute strength saw him through many battles, and his monumental stupidity ensured he had no thoguhts of disloyalty. Thus, he was frequently partnered with Nidhiki to keep a lid on the ex-Toa's ambitions.
- Brains and Brawn: The brawn to Nidhiki's brain.
- Mysterious Mercenary Pursuer: Him and Nidhiki, to the Toa Metru
- Shoulder Cannon: His shoulder-mounted Disk Launcher
If you're scared of the dark... well, you probably should be.Lariska is the energetic and deadly Dark Hunter who convinced Nidhiki to betray Metry Nui.
- Artificial Limbs: Her left arm is robotic after a punishment from the Shadowed One.
- Badass Normal: Despite lacking any major powers, her agility, stealth, tracking skills, and accuracy with throwing knifes make her one of the most dangerous Dark Hunters.
- Knife Nut
- Toyless Toyline Character: What we do know about her appearance is that she has blue and green armor and a robotic arm.
The Visorak Horde
A conquering horde of giant spiders, led by Sidorak and Roodaka on behalf of the Brotherhood of Makuta. They ravaged much of the Matoran world, and their most fearsome weapon is their Hordika venom which causes horrible mutations in its victims.The horde eventually disbanded after Sidorak's death, on the orders of Toa Vakama (who was at that point their general). The Brotherhood was able to bring some Visorak back under their control, but with Makuta's plan coming to fruitition the Order of Mata Nui took the step of eradicating the species. Makuta recreated them soon afterwards, though. With his demise, the fate of the horde remains unknown.The Visorak breeds are Keelerak, Vohtarak, Boggarak, Roporak, Suukorak, Oohnorak, and elite Kahgarak.
- Always Lawful Evil: Treated as such in-story. "Lawful" Evil is used because they are very disciplined soldiers and will follow orders to the letter.
- Energy Absorption: Roporak's disruptor Rhotuka
- Everything's Better with Spinning: All Visorak can launch Rhotuka Spinners from their backs; Keelerak can also spin like buzzsaws.
- Hollywood Acid: Keelerak's acid Rhotuka
- Teleporters and Transporters: Kahgarak's Rhotuka can open portals to a pocket dimension of darkness.
SidorakVoiced by (in Web of Shadows): Paul Dobson
How convenient. You come to us, instead of us having to hunt you down. For that, you have the gratitude of Sidorak, King of the Visorak Horde.Sidorak was an upperclassman from Stelt. A lousy fighter, he often took credit for other's accomplishments, including Roodaka's capture and mutation of the Toa Hagah. For this, he was named king of the Visorak horde, none the wiser to his viceroy's plans to take what is truly hers...
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Keetongu crushed him so badly, the Red Star couldn't bring him back.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: He was a lousy shot.
- Personality Powers: As someone who works best as a commander, his Rhotuka Spinner power makes his targets loyal to him for 24 hours, and his Herding Blade can signal commands to his armies.
- We Can Rule Together in Unholy Matrimony: Sidorak to Roodaka. She strings him along until she's set things up so she could say I Can Rule Alone.
RoodakaVoiced by (in Web of Shadows): Kathleen Barr
Always remember this, little hordeling... though I am not a Visorak, I too can weave a web.First seen acting as second-in-command of the Visorak armies for the Brotherhood of Makuta, though she schemed to be named their queen. After the armies disbanded, she became an agent for both the Brotherhood and the Dark Hunters — until they each found out about her alliances with the other. The Order caught her soon afterward.
- Planet of Copyhats: Roodaka's a female leader, therefore her home island is a matriarchy. She plays all sides, therefore her people sell weapons to everyone (though at least they're open about their neutrality). Apparently, even the males of her race look like her.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: After Roodaka engineered Sidorak's death, the Visorak were only too happy to follow Vakama's order to abandon her.
- Shoot the Messenger: Roodaka does this to the Visorak who tells her of the Toa Hordika's escape.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: She is the only Bionicle character whose set and movie appearances featured a curvy figure, including a claw piece on her hips to suggest a curvacious caboose, and...
The Rahaga / Toa Hagah
Elite Toa who served as bodyguards to Makuta. Once they realized he was corrupt, they rebelled, but not before being mutated into weak "Rahaga". The Rahaga became master hunter/trappers working to rescue Rahi beasts and eventually served as mentors to the Toa Hordika. The Toa Nuva later arranged for them to be returned to their Toa Hagah forms.
- Blade on a Stick: All are equipped with these in both forms, such as Norik's Lava Spear and Iruini's Cyclone Spear (though the Rahaga versions are closer to Simple Staffs).
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Their armor is said to be forged from precious metals.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: Did this for Makuta. There were other Hagah teams that did the same for other Makuta.
- Five-Man Band:
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Makuta stuck them in one for a little while
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: They have Rhotuka Launching Shields in their Toa forms in addition to spears
- Praetorian Guard: to Makuta, and there were other Toa Hagah teams that performed similar duties
Unity, Duty, Destiny... It starts with Unity.Norik is a celebrated hero who prefers to lead by example rather than words. As a Rahaga, he focused on catching reptilian Rahi, using his staff to distract and his Rhotuka to snare.
Wait for what? I spent thousands of years as a Rahaga — now I'm back in action, and I love it!Iruini was often at odds with the others for feeling that more time should be spent on smaller dangers. As a Rahaga, he focused on climbing Rahi, using his staff to hypnotize and his Rhotuka to snag.
- Changed My Mind, Kid: Iruini defected from the Toa Hagah over a dispute, but returned to rescue them when they were captured for opposing the Makuta, unfortunately, it wasn't enough to stop them from being mutated.
- Teleporters and Transporters: His Kanohi Kualsi, Mask of Quick Travel
You are very wise, Toa, but in this new world, wisdom is not enough.Kualus is determined and wise, having learned the language of flying Rahi. As a Rahaga, he could play his staff like a flute to commune with flying Rahi, and his Rhotuka could latch onto them and pull them to him.
- Animal Talk: Used by Kualus, specifically bird talk
- The Beastmaster: His Mask of Rahi Control
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Kualus to birds.
Sometimes the largest creatures are the least dangerous to others.Gaaki is a feisty hero determined to prove herself. As a Rahaga, she focused on aquatic Rahi, using her staff to bait the waters and her Rhotuka to bring targets to the surface.
See? Sometimes you charge like a Kikanalo, and sometimes you sneak like a stone rat. They both work.Pouks is a straightforward, boisterous fellow who believes in the direct approach. As a Rahaga, he focused on large land Rahi, using his staff to leave an invisible track mark and his Rhotuka to bolo them by the legs.
You learn, you survive. You don't...?Bomonga is known for his silence and incredible patience. As a Rahaga, he focused on insects and nocturnal Rahi, using his staff to read seismic activity and his Rhotuka to silently hold his target in place.
- Sizeshifter: His Mask of Growth
KikanaloThese large, canyon-dwelling herbivores liked to dig up Protodermis with their horns and tusks. While often brushed off as dumb beasts, they're actually gentle and smart, though they're plently able to defend themselves with stampedes and sonic roars.
- Horse of a Different Color: Toa could ride them.
You came down to invade my home! Just like all the other top-dwellers, with your scraping tools, and your fires. Now I know that as long as there are dwellers up above, there will be no peace here.A female Shapeshifting Rahi who lived in Metru Nui. She fought with the Toa Metru on the grounds that they were invading her territory, but later joined forces with them (when they were the Toa Hordika) against the Visorak.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: her merged Toa Metru form
- Power Copying: In additional to shapeshifting into her targets, she also gains their powers as well as their memories.
- Shapeshifter Mash Up: Again, the Toa Metru form
- Talking Animal: Once she gains enough memories from the Toa Metru to fully understand how to talk.
NivawkA hawk-like Rahi specimen Makuta employed as a spy during his coup on Metru Nui
The answer! Tell me the answer!A giant, ill-tempered lizard prone to rampaging when he appears. Having been constantly teleported across the Matoran World, he keeps asking how the hell he got to whatever place he's found himself in.
- Horse of a Different Color: His species were used as mounts by Keetongu's species as well as the Skakdi.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: Tahtorak kept being pit against other giant monsters, such as Zivon, Kardas, and the Kanohi Dragon.
KeetonguA legendary Rahi capable of curing many poisons. The Rahaga and Toa Hordika sought him out to fight the Visorak and reverse the Toas' mutations.
- Catch and Return: His Whirling Shields can absorb attacks, his armor can store the energies, and his Rhotuka Spinner can send it right back at 'em.
- Chest Blaster: His Rhotuka Spinner deploys from his chest.
- Cyber Cyclops: He looks like one, but his real eyes are hidden.
The Toa Inika / Toa Mahri
A group of Matoran who followed the Toa Nuva to aid them, only to find them transformed into Toa themselves. Their destiny was to save Mata Nui's life. They began as lightning-powered Toa Inika, then were changed into aquatic Toa Mahri forms.
- Voiced by (in films): Andrew Francis (Jaller), Chiara Zanni (Hahli), Michael Dobson (Hewkii), Lee Tockar (Kongu)
- Ascended Extras: Four of them were originally released as Happy-meal toys and had a token appearance in the tie-in Webgame. Nuparu was released as the pilot for the popular "Boxor" set, while Hahli was first introduced in the sequel online game before being given a toy proper.
- Cool Sword: Jaller's Energized Flame Swords and Power Sword, Matoro Inika's Energized Ice Sword, and Nuparu Mahri's Aqua Blade Blaster
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: The Toa Inika's Zamor Spheres
- Discard and Draw: Upon being transformed into Toa Mahri, they lost their Zamor launchers and had their Toa tools transformed.
- Energy Weapons: the Toa Inika's weapons - four Laser Blades and two Frickin' Laser Beams
- Five-Man Band
- The Hero and The Lancer: Originally Jaller and Matoro respectively, but they switched as they realized Matoro's importance.
- The Big Guy: Hewkii
- The Smart Guy: Nuparu
- The Chick: Kongu
- The Heart: Hahli
- The Load: What Matoro believed himself to be initially, as all of the others were skilled in combat before turning into Toa, and he was "just a translator". After he passed the Ignika's test, he began to accept his own importance more openly.
- Gatling Good: The Toa Mahri's Cordak Blasters.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Controlling their mask powers.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: the Inika powers, as well as Hewki Mahri's Electricified Chain.
- No Face Under the Mask: Played with; the Toa Inika's faces glow brightly when they remove their Kanohi. Setwise, their faces are just blanks.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Jaller and Matoro, though a bit inverted in that Jaller has some Blue traits (he's usually calm and professional) while Matoro has some Red (his compassion for others helped make him The Chosen One).
- Ship Tease:
- Macku and Hewkii when he was still a normal Matoran.
- Jaller and Hahli had a bit in the end of the Bohrok animations and in the Mask of Light movie. They still have moments of these in the Legends Novels.
- Star Power: courtesy of the Red Star for the Toa Inika.
- Sword and Gun: Jaller (both forms), Matoro Inika, Hahli Inika, and Hewkii (both forms, though his Inika form is Axe and Gun)
- Wolverine Claws: Nuparu Inika's claws, Hahli Mahri's Protosteel Talons, Matoro Mahri's Twin Cutters
Jala / Jaller
Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged.Jaller was the captain of the Ta-Koro Guard, dutiful and willing to stand up to anyone in the name of justice. As a Toa, he resolved not to make the same mistakes as his predeccesors.
- Attack Animal: The Hahnah Crab allied with Jaller Mahri was armed with a Cordak Blaster.
- The Captain: Formerly of the Ta-Koro Guard
- Flaming Sword: Jaller can make his swords flare.
- Decoy Protagonist: He's the red-armored team leader like the last two Heroes - but Matoro's The Chosen One.
- Dual Wielding: As a Toa Inika, though setwise he only has one Energized Flame Sword
- Giant Enemy Crab: Averted with the Hahnah Crab that follows Jaller Mahri around; it's an ally and it's not really big.
- Mask of Power:
- Barrier Warrior: Subverted; Jaller wore Lhikan's Hau, but since he was a Matoran at the time, he couldn't use it.
- Everything Sensor: Jaller Mahri's Kanohi Arthron, Mask of Sonar
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Jaller Inika's Kanohi Calix, Mask of Fate (limited to affecting Jaller's physical feats only - in practice it works like Super Reflexes)
- Only Mostly Dead: As a Matoran
- Taking the Bullet: Jaller for Takua, when they were both Matoran
- Team Pet: Jaller had a Hahnah Crab tagging along in Mahri Nui
- Tragic Keepsake: Subverted, Jaller was given Lhikan's Hau after the latter's death, but didn't know of its significance until after the Turaga told their stories of Metru Nui.
I am not of the Pit, I am of the sea. I learned the ways of water from Turaga Nokama and Toa Gali Nuva. The ocean shelters me, heals me... and obeys me.Hahli was initially a shy and unambitious sort, tending to her work and never speaking up. Naturally, becoming a Toa made her very nervous, but she quickly grew into her role and emerged a confident and formidable hero.
- A Day in the Limelight: She was the star of Mata Nui Online Game II when she was a Matoran.
- Harpoon Gun: Hahli Inika's Laser Harpoon
- Lightning Bruiser: She became this in Mata Nui Online Game II, where she traveled the six villages and trained in the skills of Strength, Speed, Accuracy, Strategy, Stamina, and Willpower in preperation for the upcoming Kolhii Tournament.
- Mask of Power:
- Shrinking Violet: At first.
- Took a Level in Badass: Was at first a very shy Matoran, but eventually grew more confident as a Toa Inika, and by the time she's a Toa Mahri, she's a much more aggressive fighter.
- Winged Humanoid: As a Toa Mahri
- Wings Do Nothing: They're actually fins; she can't fly with them.
I was grim and serious a lot of the time running the force — but Toa Lewa Nuva taught me that sometimes a little humor helps keep things in perspective.Once the captain of the Le-Koro Gukko Bird Force, Kongu was rather serious in comparison to other heroes of Air. Lewa taught him the appeal of wise-cracking, however, something he greatly appreciates during his time as a Toa.
- Automatic Crossbows: Kongu Inika's Laser Crossbow
- The Captain: Formerly of the Gukko Force
- Carry a Big Stick: Kongu's Laser Crossbow transformed into a club-like weapon when he became a Toa Mahri. He discarded it for carrying two Cordak Blasers.
- Guns Akimbo: Kongu with his Laser Crossbow and Zamor Launcher as a Toa Inika and dual Cordak Blasters as a Toa Mahri
- Mask of Power:
- Power Incontinence: Kongu never had full control over his masks (the first due to inexperience, the second was just unpredictable)
Huki / Hewkii
Nobody picks a fight using my city, then tells me to stay out of it. Nobody!Hewkii was the premier Kanoka Disk maker on Metru Nui, and Kohlii champion of Mata Nui. His athletic nature led him to challenge himself and forgo using his mask power.
- An Axe to Grind: Hewkii Inika's Laser Axe
- Blade on a Stick: Hewkii Mahri's Aqua Warblade
- Chain Pain: Hewkii's Climbing Chain and later Electrified Chain
- Mask of Power:
Oh, I've been crazy for years... Ask anyone.Nuparu is a master engineer, famous for inventing the Boxor mech that helped the Matoran stand against the Bohrok. His passion for machinery and learning stayed with him as a Toa, giving him the chance to explore new places and tinker with new things.
- Badass Bookworm: An engineer by trade.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Nuparu Mahri's Razor-Edged Protosteel Shield
- Mask of Power:
- This Is a Drill: Nuparu Inika's Laser Drill
- Shoulder Cannon: Nuparu Inika's shoulder-mounted Zamor Launcher
And now everything comes down to one mask and one Toa — me — and maybe I'm just not up to being a hero.Known for being very sociable in comparison to others of his tribe, Matoro was Turaga Nuju's interpreter and aide, which unfortunately made him privy to secrets he could not share with his friends. As a Toa, Matoro felt his past as a mere translator made less worthy in comparion to the athletes and guardsmen on his team. Yet, his spirit would soon prove him truer than any other...
- Badass Bookworm: He was a Rahi translator, though he felt that skill wasn't as applicable to heroism as others.
- It Is Not Your Time: Matoro in Inferno, Foreshadowing his role in 2007.
- Mask of Power:
- Translator Buddy: Before becoming a Toa, Matoro was one to Turaga Nuju.
A group of Skakdi who abandoned the Dark Hunters to strike out on their own. They competed with the Toa Inika to claim the Mask of Life, but accidentally got mutated into sea snakes and captured by the Order of Mata Nui. They were later, along with various other beings, dropped into an Energized Protodermis vat, fusing them all into a golden being with God-like powers. It is unknown at this point whether the Piraka can still be considered existing entities or not.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Considering Appropriated Appellation and Pardon My Klingon...
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: in spades
- Combo Platter Powers: Each Skakdi has three powers, though sometimes the powers do line up (Hakann, for example, has Fire powers and heat Eye Beams):
- Elemental Powers: though they have to work with each other to be able to access them
- Eye Beams (or some other vision enhancement)
- And a random third one
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: their Zamor Spheres
- Five-Bad Band
- Gold Fever: with the Mask of Life as the "gold"
- Killed Off for Real: Zaktan used to be, but the writer later Retconned it. Though it's unclear whether they can even be considered "alive" after their fusion into the Golden Entity.
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: towards the Voya Nui Matoran, until they enslaved them all.
- Pardon My Klingon: "Piraka" means "thief and murderer"
- The Pawns: Except for maybe Zaktan, who had some idea of the bigger picture.
- Planet of Copyhats: The Piraka are sadistic, brutal, and backstabby. Their race? Oh, they're all like that.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Usually a gun on one end and some kind of melee weapon on the other
- Sword and Gun: The Piraka had their own personal tool and a Zamor Launcher.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: for a very loose definition of "teamwork", anyway
- The Worf Effect: They easily take down the Toa Nuva, arguably the MOST POWERFUL Toa in the Bionicle universe.
- Wonder Twin Powers: Skakdi elemental powers
Toa. You are an anachronism — pure and noble heroes, still striving for right in a universe of chaos, unwilling to admit that your day is long over.Intelligent and secretive, Zaktan is the leader due to being the only one who knows the secrets of the Antidermis used to enslave the Matoran of Voya Nui. His unusual body became a mass of microscopic Protodites after being zapped by the Shadowed One's Eye Beams.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The most powerful and feared of the Piraka and the one who keeps the team under some level of teamwork. He's also put down several rebellions by the others through a combination of his own powers, quick thinking, and luck.
- The Worm That Walks: His body is composed of billions of protodites.
Somewhere, there are Toa fighting and dying right now, and when they're gone, no one will even remember their names. How many Matoran do you think recall the names of the Toa who fought in the war against the Dark Hunters? But they remember Makuta and Nidhiki and Roodaka. Good gets forgotten, evil never does.The egotistical and spiteful Hakann has no real ambitions for being at the top, preferring to enjoy himself in his own casually cruel way. He has the powers of heat vision and powerful bolts of mental energy.
- A God Am I: Him and Thok after robbing Brutaka's power. It doesn't last.
- Magma Man: Thanks to his Lava Launcher
- Mind Rape: His mental blasts attack the mind rather than the body.
- The Unfavorite: The other Piraka distrust Hakann the most, especially Vezok, whose Toa canister was sealed shut and rigged by Hakann to sink on the way to Voya Nui.
The others fear your anger, but you should not. If they are too weak to stand up to you, then that means you are meant to command them.Vezok was once a cold and clever tactician, but he lost that when Vezon split off, leaving him little more than a bubbling cauldron of rage. He has powerful impact vision and the ability to temporarily absorb and replicate the powers of those in close proximity.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: After Vezon split off of him, to quote The Wiki, "He was still able to present a cool exterior, but kept his rage and paranoia bottled up inside him."
- Chainsaw Good: His Water Harpoon has a buzzsaw on one end.
- Harpoon Gun: His Water Harpoon
- Psycho for Hire: Vezok in particular stands out among this group of thugs.
Words. You Toa are always so good with words, when it's actions that matter.Thok is even more antisocial most beings of ice, hating the presence of others yet skilled at manipulating them to his advantage. He can disorient foes with his spellbinder vision and bring inanimate objects to life to serve him.
- A God Am I: Him and Hakann after stealing Brutaka's power. It doesn't last.
- Freeze Ray: His Ice Gun
- The Power of Creation: His ability to bring inanimate objects to life.
Once this is done, you won't have to worry about water, or anything else, anymore.An irritable yet skilled engineer, Avak loves building weapons and hates being told what to do. He has X-ray and telescopic vision, and the ability to conjure a prison designed to counter its captive's powers out of thin air.
- Badass Biker: Avak made and used a Cool Bike, but it was stolen by the Brotherhood of Makuta.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Avak is skilled at building machinery from scratch.
- Powerful Pick: His Seismic Pickaxe
- Squishy Wizard: He's no good in a fight without a weapon of some sort.
- Tailor-Made Prison: He has the power to create these as long as he stays focused.
That was a long fall down the mountain. Long climb back up, too. It's an experience you shouldn't miss. How about I throw you over the side, Thok, and see how many times you bounce? Won't that be fun?One of the strongest of the Piraka, and surprisingly smart, Reidak loves nothing more than destroying everything and killing anyone. He's a skilled tracker, boosted by his infrared and thermal imaging vision, and could adapt to counter the powers of anyone he fought.
- Badass Boast: "Rahkshi? *snap* I pick my teeth with Rahkshi."
- Chainsaw Good: His Buzz Saw,
- Made of Iron: Reidak is absurdly tough. Once he's knocked down, he gets back up again, stronger than before. This aspect is what made the Toa Nuva struggle against him.
- This Is a Drill: On the end of his Buzz Saw is a drill that can create quicksand.
A vezon? Oh, yes, the Matoran word for 'double'. Yes, that does make sense. I will go by that name, then. Of course, first I will have to eliminate all of you so no one else knows I am only half a being. You don't mind, do you?A fusion mishap caused a second being to be split off from Vezok. Where Vezon got Vezok's calm and tactical thinking, Vezok kept everything else, like powers and, you know, what little sanity he had. The Mask of Life soon roped Vezon into being one of its guardians, though he has since been released from the duty.Vezon, through a series of complicated events, got permanently fused to a Mask of Dimensional Gates, gaining the power to travel across universes, and literally be able to pop up anywhere.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Discard and Draw: Mostly "discard", when he lost the Mask of Life and his spear. He has gotten a Mask of Dimensional Gates since.
- Fusion Dance: He was stuck to the back of a Fenrakk spider and the Mask of Life stuck to the back of his head.
- Genius Ditz: From above: "Where Vezon got Vezok's calm and tactical thinking, Vezok kept everything else, like powers and, you know, sanity."
- Meaningful Name: Not to us, but "Vezon" means "Double" in Matoran.
- Merging Machine: his Spear of Fusion can fuse and defuse beings, which is also used in his creation.
- Mask of Power: the Mask of Life, then a Mask of Dimensional Gates
- Prophet Eyes: Of a sort. All Skakdi have innate vision powers; Vezon doesn't naturally but the Mask of Life granted him future sight.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: To the Piraka; he betrayed them shortly after being split from Vezok.
- Teleporters and Transporters: His Mask of Dimensional Gates.
- Power Incontinence: He can't control it.
- Wrecked Weapon: the Spear of Fusion was broken in half by Reidak, but Vezon managed to use the Spear's powers to repair itself. Unfortunately it got burned to a crisp by Jaller on Vezon's next encounter with the Toa Inika.
Alive, you can fill the air with the music of your screams. Dead, you are just silent meat.Whereas Matoran mythology was meant to inspire hope, Skakdi mythology was made to inspire fear. Irnakk was one such myth; his essence could bring one's worst fears to reality, and his vision could turn a being into a thought in the twisted madness that is his mind, where they would cease to exist if he thought of something else. Thanks to one of the trials on the way to the Mask of Life, the Piraka would have to face the nightmare for real...
- Your Worst Nightmare: He was brought to life from a chamber that did this, and had the power to do this himself.
So. You did learn something from your enemies, Toa. Maybe we won in the end, then — we made you like us.A brutal and experienced warlord who allied himself with Makuta Teridax after he succeeded in taking over the Matoran Universe. While he's never been a member of the Piraka, he's lumped here for simplicity's sake.
- Nonindicative Name: Nektann's toy is labeled a "Piraka" even though he has nothing to do with the group, as "Piraka" has more brand recognition. Justified as he did something nasty to deserve the insulting name.
- Perpetual Frowner: Has a large scowl in comparion to the Piraka's Slasher Smiles.
- The Quisling: Siding with Makuta is what earned him his status as a slimy no-good Piraka.
- Sinister Scythe: His Cresent Scythe.
Voya Nui Resistance Team
A squad of Matoran who escaped the Piraka's enslavement, and aided any heroes in liberating Voya Nui.
- Crippled Badass / Weak, but Skilled: They're among several Matoran who were subject to Kahrzahni's shoddy repairs, leaving them weaker than others, but they had unique weapons to make up for it,
- Five-Man Band
We may be doomed to fall, but before we do, we'll give our enemies reason to regret the day they set foot here. Let's show them you don't have to be a Toa to be a hero!Garan was the leader of the team, a tactical thinker and determined fighter. His Pulse Bolt Generators fire energy blast that grow in strength the farther they travel.
Sometimes you can't do what your heart tells you to... sometimes you have a duty to something greater than yourself.The team inventor, Balta was brave and skilled, able to easily make a device out of whatever is at hand.
- Attack Reflector: His Repellers can deflect anything back at their attacker.
Right, I'm sure where you came from, Ga-Matoran are all gentle peacemakers who never raise their voices. That's what they... we... were like where I came from too. But I have news for you, sister — this isn’t Metru Nui. We don’t have time to be polite. It's fight, or end up like them.Dalu was once as docile as most Ga-Matoran, but the rough worlds she knows turned her into a valiant, yet temperamental warrior. Her Chargers could amplify a target's physical attributes far beyong what their body or mind could handle.
The bird soars through the sky. But if I were a colossus, and the sky was beneath my feet, could it truly be said the bird flew underground?The craftsman of the team, Velika is a creative sort who spoke in riddles. His Power Carvers cut anything and carve it into whatever he needed. He's actually a Great Being who entered the Matoran Universe an took the form of a Matoran, and is responsible for its inhabitants gaining sapience. Now that Mata Nui has done his destiny and the people of the Matoran Universe are migrating into Spherus Magna, he's enacting a plan to Take Over the World that involves the murder of its most powerful inhabitants.
- King Incognito: A Great Being disguised as a Matoran.
- Walking Spoiler: Who knew that supporting character was actually a King Incognito with plans to Take Over the World?
You're my friends, and this is my home. If those things are not worth fighting and dying for, what is?The team's spy, Piruk is nervous and fearful, but he always comes through for his friends. His hands have built-in Shredder Claws that could rip through solid metal.
- Wolverine Claws: Unlike the weapons of the other members of the Resistance, Piruk's Shredder Claws are stuck to his hands. He scrapes them together when he's nervous.
Good old Velika. Never use two words when 127 will do.Kazi was as cold and realistically-minded as other Ko-Matoran, particularly annoyed by Velika's constant riddles. His Echo Forks created a deafening soundwave when struck together.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: His Echo Forks
The Order of Mata Nui
An secret organization that formed to do jobs that Toa cannot, because either they would conflict with Toa codes of honor or they would be hindered by the Toa's reputation as "good guys". The Order has recently gone public to declare all-out war on the Makuta.
- Cain and Abel: Axonn and Brutaka (during the latter's brief Face–Heel Turn)
- Cool Mask / Mask of Power: The two Toa, Axonn, and Brutaka
- Destructive Savior: A large number of Order of Mata Nui members were members of a previous organization formed near the beginning of the universe, the Hand of Artakha, which was a not-secret group dedicated to protecting everything. The Hand was disbanded very quickly (well, after two hundred years, but to these people that's no time at all) in favor of the Toa because they had a habit of causing more destruction than the things they were saving people from.
- Killed Off for Real: In addition to the first Hydraxon, Botar and their double agent, Ancient.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Botar has since been replaced with another member of his species
- Knife Nut: Hydraxon's Wrist Blades and Back Blades. Brutaka and Mazeka also have knives.
- Moses in the Bulrushes: the Order spread Matoran of Light throughout the world to protect them
- Order Reborn: The Order started as a public group called the Hand of Artakha in a time before Toa existed. It reformed as the Order in secret.
- Psychic Block Defense: Due to the sensitive information they carry, all members are trained to have their minds shielded against telepathy and mental attack.
- They Have the Scent: The Order uses Energy Hounds that track their prey like this, even with only a mote of dust.
Haven't you figured it out yet? You have to be insane to be a Toa at all. It's the first requirement for the job.The very first Toa created, Helryx is a skilled and unyielding warrior. Her ages of experience leading the Order has made her incredibly fierce, temperamental, and willing to sacrifice anything for her vision of the greater good.
- Epic Flail: Helryx wields a flail as her Toa Tool.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She designed and built Mazeka's Swamp Strider.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Helryx carries a shield.
- Making a Splash: Helryx, Toa of Water
- Never Mess with Granny: She was the first Toa and has been active a full hundred thousand years. There's a good reason she's still alive after all that time.
- Psychic Powers: Helryx wears a Mask of Psychometry in addition to her Psychic Block Defense.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Averted with Helryx. She doesn't follow the Toa Code because she was created before it even existed. It's also why she made the Order.
For more than 100 centuries, I have looked into the face of evil again and again. It sickens me.Axonn, along with Brutaka, was assigned by the Order of Mata Nui to guard the Mask of Life. He is a mighty and seasoned warrior, firmly dedicated to the Order's cause.
- An Axe to Grind: His Giant Axe, of course
- Lie Detector: His Kanohi Rode, Mask of Truth
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Axonn can do this with his axe
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Although their respective color schemes would imply Axonn is the red and Brutaka is the blue, this is not in fact the case. In reality, they're both Blue Oni, but Axonn is moreso.
I have uprooted mountains, Toa. I have ridden the tornado and filled the earthquake with fear. When you were still toiling at your mundane Matoran chores, I and others like me were holding your universe together. Do you really believe your puny powers can threaten a member of the Order of Mata Nui?Brutaka is strong enough to take out an entire Toa team in one swing, and an intelligent scholar to boot. However, his insight led him to doubt the Great Spirit and turn on the order. Thankfully, he has since seen the error of his ways and worked his way back on the side of good.
- Badass Boast: Re-read his quote above.
- Double Weapon: His Rotating Blades
- Faith–Heel Turn: He got better, though.
- Phlebotinum Overdose: This happens when he fell into a pool of Antidermis
- Royal "We": After his Phlebotinum Overdose.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Kanohi Olmak, Mask of Dimensional Gates
- Troll: Brutaka has an... interesting sense of humor, having sent the Tahtorak towards populated Metru Nui. Needless to say, the Tathorak and the Matoran were not amused with being away from its kind and the impending destruction of the former respectively.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: See Axonn's entry.
What is the law? The law is the will of Mata Nui. Break that law and only the pit will welcome you.Known for his strong sence of justice, single-minded viewpoint, and fearsome visage, Botar is the jailer of the Order, using his powerful teleportation ability to send lawbreakers to the Pit.
- Call on Me: Can be called upon at any time to take criminals to the Pit.
- The Jailer: Botar was in charge of prisoner apprehension and transport.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: His mouth is filled with razor-sharp teeth.
- Troll: He took the Tahtorak out of Metru Nui... and into Xia. Likewise, neither the Tahtorak nor the Vortixx were pleased.
You don't get it. It doesn't matter who I was before. What counts is who I am now — Hydraxon. Your enemy. Your jailer... Your nightmare for 90 millennia, and for every day that's left to you.Hydraxon is the stern and devoted Order member who guards the Pit and apprehends any escapees. He was killed in the Great Cataclysm, but the Ignika transformed the Matoran Dekar into an exact replica, complete with memories.
- Arm Cannon: Hydraxon has a Cordak Blaster mounted on his right wrist.
- Badass Normal: He has no extreme powers, merely several armaments and razor-sharp skill.
- Battle Boomerang: Hydraxon's Exploding Boomerangs
- Gatling Good: Hydraxon's Cordak Blaster. In fact, he designed the Cordaks in the first place.
- The Jailer: It's in his job description.
- Made of Explodium: Hydraxon's Exploding Boomerangs
- Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy: Albeit an unusual case because the true Hydraxon is dead, but a Matoran named Dekar was transformed by the Ignika into a copy of Hydraxon with all the original's memories and personality. He still hasn't learned the truth.
- Wolverine Claws: His Wrist Blades were mounted like these.
Find the truth, no matter what barrier blocks your way. Deception can strike you down, as surely as any blow from an enemy. You are a Toa without armor in a chamber of swords, Vakama, and only the truth can protect you.Krakua is a Toa of Sonics involved with the Order of Mata Nui, acting as a liason between the Order and Toa.
- Contest Winner Cameo: Krakua was designed for a Brickmaster contest to determine a Toa who would appear in the book Time Trap.
- Cool Sword: His Sonic Vibration Sword
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Krakua, Toa of Sonics
- Brown Note: During the Brotherhood of Makuta's siege of Metru Nui, Krakua was convinced by Hahli to cycle through mutliple frequencies until he manages to find one that would awaken the Bohrok from their hibernation.
- Telepathy: His Kanohi Suletu, Mask of Telepathy, which notably is shaped like a Hau.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Unlike Helryx, he still follows the Toa Code, despite being a member. He's usually assigned missions that don't require killing.
I want to learn how to fight. I want to learn how to win clean... and win dirty. When I'm done, I want to be a master with a blade, with my fists, with any kind of weapon — and then I want you to get out of my way.Mazeka was once a kind and gentle Matoran, but his history with the Order of Mata Nui and the criminal Vultraz turned him into a ruthless fighter. He acts as a spy using a custom-built vehicle called the Swamp Strider.
- Badass Normal: He a Matoran able to take down two brutes of Krekka's species empty-handedly.
- BFG: The heavily armed Midak Skyblaster on the Swamp Strider
- Spider Tank: His Swamp Strider.
- Teach Me How To Fight: How Mazeka got involved in the Order.
My name is Umbra. I guard the Mask of Life. You shall not pass.A being of Light created by the Great Beings to guard the Mask of Life, Umbra will battle anyone, good or evil, to the end if they quest for the Mask.
- Double Weapon: His Laser Lance.
- Light 'em Up: While he lacks the raw power that Takanuva has, his power is more versatile. He can turn into a living beam of light, for example.
- Non-Indicative Name: Justified, he was named for the darkest part of a shadow to confuse enemies.
- Rollerblade Good: His wheeled feet.
MaxilosThe Maxilos robots were built by the Order to police the Pit. With black fire energies, heightened reflexes, and massive strength, they cannot be bribed or deceived. Unfortunately, Teridax was able to posess one to further his plans.
An alliance of warlords, imprisoned in the ancient past by the Order of Mata Nui for challenging Mata Nui's rule. However, when the prison flooded they changed into sea mutant forms. They tried to claim the Mask of Life when the Toa Mahri stumbled across them. Since then, the Order has recruited them for various missions against the Makuta.
- Abnormal Ammo: the Barraki had launchers that shot vampiric squid.
- Animal Motifs: Each of the Barraki's mutated forms resembles a sea creature:
- The Beastmaster: During their time in the Pit, they led armies of sea creatures.
- Dual Wielding: Takadox, Ehlek, and Pridak. Carapar used to have two claws, but removed one to wield his Squid Launcher.
- Five-Bad Band
- The Big Bad: Pridak
- The Dragon / The Evil Genius: Kalmah
- The Brute: Carapar
- The Dark Chick: Mantax and Takadox
- Sixth Ranger: Nocturn
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: When banished to the Pit, Brutaka briefly joins forces with the Barraki with the hopes of getting his hands on the Mask of Life. It ends badly when he sells them out.
- A God Am I: Attempted, but stopped by Makuta. Unfortunately, that inspired Makuta to do it himself.
- Killed Off for Real: Carapar and Nocturn
- Lean and Mean: Pridak, Ehlek, and Takadox have slimmer builds than usual.
- Mobile Fishbowl: Ehlek has used one in the past, as he was originally a water-breather prior to mutation, as well as Takadox and Carapar when they were recruited by the Order of Mata Nui, then the rest of them.
- Zerg Rush: Their solution to dealing with Teridax in the Pit: Him alone vs. them and their armies, roughly 100,000 to 1 at least. And it works...though Teridax was just buying time for the Mahri.
You have a choice, Makuta — cooperation, or conquest. I trust you will choose wisely.A powerful and vicious leader, Pridak views himself as the perfect being, entitled to rule. Practically-minded, he will stop at nothing to achieve the power that he views as his.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: The official leader of the Barraki, both before and after they were sent to the Pit, and he's not afraid to personally discipline any of the others if he feels they're getting too far out of hand.
- Ax-Crazy: Thankfully, his practicality keeps it in check, given that Mahri Nui was left mostly untouched for 1000 years. He could — and would — have wiped the city out in a single night had he decided he would benefit from it.
- Bad Boss: OH MY GOD.
- Cool Sword: His Shark Tooth Blades, fused from the teeth of 10,000 Takea Sharks and among the few weapons actually able to damage Protosteel.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards: As a matter of fact, yes. Back before his mutations, he was apparently a Bishounen by Bionicle standards, and he took great pride in said appearance to the point he saw it as one of the worst parts of his mutation. He was also still the evil asshole he is now, though a bit calmer.
- Lightning Bruiser: Thanks to his shark mutations, he is described as physically one of both the strongest and fastest members of the Barraki.
- Man Bites Man: His shark teeth aren't for show; he bit off Nocturn's arm with them.
- Satanic Archetype: Pridak's story resembles that of Lucifer. He is described as a "perfect physical specimen" before rebelling against his creator and subsequently being cast into a hellish prison. Perhaps fitting enough, he was the one to inspire Makuta, who was essentially Archangel Michael at this point, to try his hands at topping God.
- Sword and Gun: He Dual Wields his swords as well.
- Villainous Valor: When confronted by Teridax getting ready to execute him and his his fellow warlords after their initial rebellion failed, he doesn't flinch and even takes the time to get a few passive-aggressive shots in. During their battle in the Pit, he never loses his nerve and keeps fighting even when the other Barraki are either unconscious or being Mind Raped, though in the former case they were just waiting for their armies to show up so they could Zerg Rush him.
Sometimes, the most effective first blow in a battle comes wrapped as a gift.The plotter of the Barraki, Takadox treated life like a board game, and him the best player. Despite not being very strong, his powerful hypnosis more than made up for that.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Takadox's hypnosis.
- Knife Nut: His Twin Knives, later a Protosteel knife and then a stone dagger.
- Manipulative Bastard: All the way.
- Mind Rape: In a bit of Karmic Retribution, Takadox is on the receiving end of a Mind Rape from Makuta.
- The Mole: For the Brotherhood of Makuta.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Takadox's second attempt at bargaining his way out of being attacked by Makuta resulted in him being Mind Raped.
- Sword and Gun: He Dual Wields his swords as well.
- Weak, but Skilled: Takadox is physically the weakest of the Barraki, but he relies on his intelligence and hypnosis to compensate.
Yes. Lives. Breath. Futures. All of which I am going to take from...Ehlek was the only member of the Barraki who was a sea-dweller before his mutation. Cautious and bitter to the point of paranoia, Ehlek needs little reason to electrify anyone in his sights.
- Ax-Crazy: Unfortunately, he isn't as hinged as Pridak.
- Shock and Awe: Being an electric eel and all.
- Wolverine Claws: His Tri-Talons.
We shared our victories and our punishment... so we will share the power of this mask as well.Incredibly ruthless, Kalmah shows no emotion beyond his disire for victory. He's the breeder of the Sea Squids the team attacks with, his cruelty towards them being a testament to his nature.
- Combat Tentacles: His right arm is a tentacle and he will not hesitate to use it in combat.
- Healing Factor: To a limited extent, though it didn't help when Pridak stabbed him in the eye.
- Third Eye: Pridak stabbed it to the point of not working anymore in a dispute.
Despite your bad nerves, you always did have guts. Don't make me spill them out into the sea, okay?Carapar is without a doubt the tank of the Barraki, thanks to his near indestructable carapace. He used to be rather sharp-minded until ages of hypnotism by Takadox eroded his mind.
- Dumb Muscle: Though not to the extent of Nocturne.
- Killed Off for Real: Was disintegrated by Tren Krom's Eye Beams in an ambush attempt.
- Implacable Man: At least until he tried to kill Tren Krom.
- Mind Rape: Carapar used to be sharper than he is now. Years of being controlled by Takadox have worn his mental capacity down considerably.
- Power Pincers
- The Right Hand of Doom: Carapar's toy set (in canon, his claws are detachable and he can have them on both arms)
- Took a Level in Dumbass: An in-universe example. See Mind Rape above.
The first time I followed Pridak, I got condemned to the Pit. The second time, my dwelling got crushed by a Matoran city. How will he destroy my life now, I wonder?Mantax is a secretive loner. He trusts no-one, and no-one trusts him, but his pincer, venomous spikes, and ambush tactics made him an effective, and thus tolerable, hunter.
- Loners Are Freaks: Mantax is isolated from the others, partly because of his rather unsettling habits and secretive nature, partly because of his mutual distrust of the others.
- Power Pincers
No one insults me and lives!Brutally strong, amphibious, immune to Pit mutagen, and able to regrow lost limbs, Nocturn serves as Ehlek's lieutenant.
- Dumb Muscle: Even moreso than Carapar.
- Healing Factor: Though it didn't help when Pridak cut off one of his tentacles.
- Touch of Death: the Ignika's curse on Nocturn gave him this. It was amusing to him at first, but got really boring fast.
- Where I Was Born and Razed: Nocturn, who destroyed his home by to hitting its weak point. Needless to say, he ended up in the Pit for massive loss of life it caused.Takadox: He was exiled from his home island after he broke something.Mantax: What did he break?Takadox: The island.
- You No Take Candle: Nocturn isn't particularly smart; he even has difficulty with grammar.
Matoran of Mahri Nui
It could just as easily be our doom as our salvation. This mask must be destroyed... and I have to do it.
Perhaps living so long in this night-black water has made us see only darkness in others.
I remember Lesovikk defending our home from Rahi beasts and anything else that threatened us... I remember when he and his team left, never to return... at least not while I was still there. He's not a failure — he never was — he's a hero!
Does the sun know its light? You have come here to find arms and armor for your fight. I tell you that the weapon you seek is not here — that must be sought in the world that feeds the world.Old Matoran myths say that good workers would be sent to the Great Refuge of Artakha where they could work on vital and advanced projects. In truth, the land actually exists and is ruled by a being of the same name. Artakha passed into legend after the Brotherhood assaulted the island and he had the Order eliminate all knowledge of his kingdom's location.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Karzahni's Cain.
- Cool Mask / Mask of Power: the Mask of Creation, which helps him design his projects
- The Professor: his creations are the most advanced in the Matoran world
- Unperson: the Order only eliminated his location, the rest of the knowledge of his existence merely faded with time; but in any case the result is the same
- The Voice until his appearance in Reign of Shadows.
Long ago... perhaps 100,000 years, perhaps more, I lose track... Matoran came here by the score. Some were damaged, others simply possessed a lack of dedication to their work. A small number found a new life here... and the rest found only what they had expected, which was nothing at all.The other half of the Artakha myth; bad workers were said to be sent to the kingdom of the tyrant Karzahni for punishment. However, Karzahni was supposed to heal poor-performing Matoran; he just wasn't good at it so he never sent anyone home, thereby earning the realm a reputation as a land of the dead. Karzahni has since learned of the world outside his realm and started to make plans to take over — until he ran afoul of Makuta and made the mistake of Mind Raping him, prompting Makuta to tear the despot's mind apart. Upon arriving on Spherus Magna he escaped in the confusion, only to be found killed under suspicious circumstances.
- Ignorant of Their Own Ignorance: until the Matoran that became the Toa Inika showed up, as his realm had become a Small, Secluded World
- Killed Off for Real: Toa Lesovikk is implied to have done the deed. It turned out that it was Great Being-disguised-as-Matoran Velika.
- What If?: Karzahni's Mask of Alternate Futures
- Mind Rape: the intended effect of the What If scenarios.
You think me an alien... an "other"... But I am of the substance of this universe, and I walked here long before you or even Mata Nui himself.An ancient being who looked after the universe while Mata Nui was still being prepared for the job. When no longer needed; the Great Beings sealed him away on a deserted island. After the Matoran arrived on Spherus Magna he found his way out onto the planet, but was mysteriously killed shortly after Karzahni.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Subverted, Barraki Carapar tried and was vaporized. (Artakha, on the other hand, is powerful enough to give him a metaphorical Dope Slap.)
- Eldritch Abomination: Subverted, while he certainly looks otherworldly Tren Krom is a native of the Matoran universe.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: he forced one on Toa Lewa through a Deal with the Devil
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Causes this in others
I failed once. By the spirits of my fallen teammates, I will not fail now.Toa of Air and leader of the first Toa team until a moment's hesitation cost the rest of the team their lives. Over the years he completely lost his self confidence, believing he wasn't worthy of being a Toa. Faced Karzahni in the Pit around the same time the Toa Mahri were fighting the Barraki there; afterward he assisted Hydraxon in tracking down escaped prisoners. On Spherus Magna he confronted other Toa about Karzahni roaming free and left to track him... suspiciously before Karzahni turned up dead.
- Cool Sword: Wields an Air Sword.
- Failure Knight: Blamed himself for the massacre of his teammates.
- Gatling Good: the Cordak Blaster mounted on his Sea Sled
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: His hesitation caused the death of his teammates. Because of this, he felt guilty and unworthy of being a Toa.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Put into one by Karzahni where his team survived. He got out of it when he remembered the accident.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: According to Word of God, he's an aversion — his self-imposed status as a Failure Knight gives him reason to think he's exempt from this rule. Considering the mysterious circumstances of Karzahni's death, we might have just seen in-story proof... except ''Velika'' did it.
That's your problem, Lhikan, always following the rules. Always worrying about others. Did you ever think we could do more good if we stopped worrying so much about who might get hurt in the process?Once protected Metru Nui as a Toa of Water alongside Lhikan and Nidhiki. Secretly owned a relic called the Nui Stone, but crossed the line by murdering Matoran to cover it up. Her teammates defeated her and the Order made her disappear; she eventually escaped and made her way back with the Nui Stone.In a parallel universe, Nidhiki took Tuyet's side and she led the Toa into becoming the Toa Empire, until "our" Takanuva arrived and helped the rebellion overthrow her.
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome: the Nui Stone
- First Law of Resurrection: Originally thought to have died in the Pit (the Order's prison). She was eventually brought back, explaining that she had been imprisoned in another dimension, hidden even from some of the Order; the Tuyet in the Pit was an alternate-universe version.
- Intangible Man: her Mask of Intangibility
- Portal Cut: Cause of death for the "Empress" Tuyet
I will do what must be done. Then I will be like Matoro. I will be a hero.The sentient Mask of Life, inspired by Toa Matoro's sacrifice, decided to create a body for itself and try to live as an independent being, becoming a "Toa of Life". He aimed to help the Toa Nuva in Karda Nui. The mask also curses whoever touches it, save only those destined to carry it.
- Artifact of Death: Ironically, despite being called the Mask of Life, it has been known to kill their bearers to give their life energy to Mata Nui.
- Cool Mask / Mask of Power
- Curse Escape Clause: Most of the time, the curse only lasts as long as the victim is touching the mask. Unfortunately, there are cases where the curse is permanent even when someone lets go of it.
- Cursed with Awesome: Some of the mask's curses
- Blessed with Suck: The inevitable result when the mask tries to help someone
- Frickin' Laser Beams: His Midak Skyblaster
- Goo Goo God Like: Although not an infant but a Toa created instantly, Toa Ignika had initially acted on emotion
- Heroic Sacrifice: Toa Ignika sacrificed his body to fully revive the Great Spirit.
- Murderous Mask: Heck, touching it is dangerous enough if one is not destined to wear it. While none affected have directly died from the curses, they either suffer Fate Worse Than Death or get Cursed with Awesome or Blessed with Suck.
- Self-Guarding Phlebotinum: Curses those unworthy who hold it.
The Av Matoran / Shadow Matoran
The first type of Matoran created; unlike other types, they have a small degree of Elemental Powers, and can connect with a Toa to access unique light-based powers. All of them were hidden across the Matoran Universe by the Order of Mata Nui, but some relocated to Karda Hui after the Great Catacalysm. A number of them were turned into Shadow Matoran by the Makuta's Shadow Leeches, and as such gain powers of Shadow and connected to Makuta. The remaining Av-Matoran teamed up with the Toa Nuva to help in the Final Battle. After the battle for Karda Nui, the Shadow Matoran were cured and turned back to normal.
- Super Prototype: the Matoran of Light can actually use their elemental power to shoot lasers and change color, and they have both genders in their tribe.
- Wonder Twin Powers: Matoran of Light or Shadow can access individual powers when touching a Toa or Makuta.
We're on our own here — like we've always been — and we'll stand or fall on our own.Tanma became leader of the Av-Matoran after the Makuta's attack, swiftly becoming a bold yet sencible one. When he teamed up with a Toa, such as Lewa, he could power his Midak Skyblaster so that it won't drain the light from its surroundings.
- Boring but Practical: His team up ability might not be as cool as Hard Light or Super Speed, but not worrying about plunging the area in darkness is very useful when battling creatures of Shadow.
- The Leader: Led the Av-Matoran until Kirop was restored.
Toa wouldn't run. Great heroes like Tahu and Kopaka would stand and fight!Solek was a huge fanboy of the Toa Mata, particularly Kopaka. When he got the chance to team up with him, his excitable nature got on the Toa's nerves. His team up ability allowed him to create objects of solid light.
- Fanboy: Of Kopaka.
No idea. But it was sure fun! I just thought about us going faster, and zing!Photok was Pohatu's partner, and a risk-taking stuntman. When united with a Toa, he could move at the speed of light.
The light is drained from you, and what's left is... sharper, clearer. You know what you have to do... and you know you won't let anyone stop you.Galva never got along with the other Av-Matoran, due to her sense of superiority to the others. She felt as though she belonged among Shadow Matoran serving the Makuta. When united with a Makuta, she could disrupt a target's sense of balance.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female Matoran of the 2008 saga,
KiropHe was the leader of the Av-Matoran until his transformation into a Shadow Matoran, and was jealous that Galva was appointed leader of the Shadow Matoran. What teamed up with a Makuta, he could rob a foe of their sight.
RadiakRadiak was a courageous warrior as an Av-Matoran, a trait that unfortunately transferred well into his becoming a Shadow Matoran. His team up ability allowed him to slow opponents.
- Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better: Mutran made him quadropedal when he was moody. He had the mutation reversed shortly after he was cured of Shadow.
All I cared about was darkness and destruction... the things I helped Mutran do and create...Vican was a Le-Matoran who, looking for a more adventurous life, willingly became the first Shadow Matoran and Mutran's partner, loyal yet wary of his master
- The Atoner: After being cured, Vican was deeply guilt-ridden of his choice to become a Shadow Matoran.
- Mark of Shame: His mutated appearance. He hoped that Mutran would reverse it. Ironically, after being cured of Shadow, he elected to keep his freakish visage as a reminder of his past mistakes.
How many times do we have to do this? When are you going to realize that you're not a Toa... just some crazy villager who thinks he has to risk his neck fighting the bad guys? Go home, Mazeka. Go back to your little life, before you force me to end it.Formerly a Ta-Matoran, Vultraz was selfish and evil even before becoming a Shadow Matoran. Mazeka was his Arch-Enemy, determined to bring him to justice.
The Brotherhood Of Makuta
The rest of Makuta's species; they also were disgruntled with Mata Nui getting all the praise instead of them. When Makuta proposed his plan to usurp Mata Nui, most rallied behind it, and dissenters were executed.
- Animated Armor: A while ago, the Makuta species evolved from Mechanical Lifeforms of solid Antidermis into gaseous beings contained in thick Protosteel suits.
- The Assimilator: The Shadow Hand allows them to assimilate other beings to add to their mass and power.
- Bat out of Hell: The Phantoka. All three have names that come from bats.
- BFG: Spiriah was given a Midak Skyblaster, and the Mistika used Nynrah Ghostblasters
- Bodyguarding a Badass: Some Makuta, including Teridax, had Toa Hagah as bodyguards so they wouldn't have to deal with every little annoyance.
- Brotherhood of Evil: Subverted under Miserix's rule, played straight under Teridax's.
- Combo Platter Powers: And nearly FIFTY of them, to boot!
- Contagious A.I.: In their Energy Being forms, Makuta can possess machinery, although they lose some of their Combo Platter Powers.
- Cool Sword: Icarax's Rotating Shadow Sword, Mutran's Shadow Blade, Bitil's Longswords
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Blindness for the Phantoka, Shape Shifter Mode Lock for the Mistika, and Icarax's devolution (though this turns into an advantage when Gorast tries to breach his armour and release his energy).
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Part of the reason for the Brotherhood's Face–Heel Turn.
- Elemental Powers: Casting a Shadow
- The Dark Side: Their Shadow powers ended up corrupting them...
- Energy Being: The energy being called "Antidermis"
- Five-Bad Band: The eight Makuta in Karda Nui
- The Force Is Strong with This One: Makuta are able to sense the presence of each other.
- Genius Bruiser: Some gravitate towards one end more than the other, but all Makuta are extremely powerful and extremely intelligent.
- Killed Off for Real: Save for Miserix, every each one. Unless you count the spirits of the unborn Makuta swirling in an Antidermis pool as living.
- Mad Scientist: The entire organization used to be this, responsible for creating Rahi
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Toa were already uneasy about their choice in mask powers, but them going villianous sealed the deal.
- Meaningful Name: Several examples, most notably the Phantoka.
- Mook Maker: They can spawn Kraata to make Rahkshi.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: The list of Makuta powers was formalized when the Rahkshi were introduced, but for those not familiar with it the powers can seem like Ass Pulls.
- Adaptive Ability: Adaptation
- The Beastmaster: Rahi Control
- Pest Controller: Insect Control
- Blow You Away: Cyclone
- Chain Lightning
- Disintegrator Ray: Molecular Disruption and Disintegration
- Eye Beams: Heat Vision and Laser Vision
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Quick Healing
- Gravity Master
- Green Thumb: Plant Control
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Accuracy
- Invisibility Cloak: Chameleon
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Sonics and Power Scream
- Mind Control: Rahi Control, Insect Control, and Mind Reading
- Master of Illusion
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Limited Invulnerability
- No Sell: Fire Resistance and Ice Resistance
- Rubber Man: Elasticity
- Selective Magnetism: Magnetism
- Standard Status Effects: specifically the Sleep, Slow, Silence, and Confusion abilities
- Telepathy: Mind Reading
- Time Stands Still: Stasis Control
- Villain Teleportation
- Weapons That Suck: Vacuum
- Weather-Control Machine
- No Conservation of Energy: Makuta can absorb and convert other beings into mass for their armor.
- The Needless: thanks to their evolution into Antidermis
- Superpower Lottery: Makuta are what happen when an inherently evil species wins the jackpot.
- Winged Humanoid: With the exception of the distinctly non-humanoid Vamprah, Krika, and Miserix.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: What Teridax's plan for sending his elite to Karda Nui was about, to get them all in one place and let them all die in the energy storms created upon Mata Nui's reawakening. With the exception of Krika and Icarax, who were killed by their fellow Makuta when they tried to sabotage the plan, it went off without a hitch.
One thing I've learned is that you underestimate Toa — any Toa — at your own peril.The field leader in Karda Nui. A skilled tactician, he was arguably the most balanced of the group, possessing a sense of honor and knowing better than to underestimate his foes.
- Ace Pilot: When you can outfly a Toa of Air, you are this trope.
- Badass Biker: No, really. He stole the Destral Cycle from Avak.
- Make Them Rot: His Kanohi Jutlin, Mask of Corruption, allows him to make inanimate objects rust or decompose.
- Universal Driver's License: Good with bikes or super-advanced jets.
This is a first — someone expecting a being born of the shadows to look on the bright side.Back when the Makuta created the world's Rahi, Chirox focused on making vicious monsters rather than anything useful to the ecosystem. Not much of a fighter, he likes to play dirty.
- Hooks and Crooks: His Hook Blades
- Jerkass: Comes off as an insecure, abrasive dick, even compared to the other Makuta.
- Mad Scientist: Not a very good one, though. The only creation of his that we know was successful was the Visorak.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Shares this dynamic with his former friend Mutran.
- The Voiceless: His Kanohi Shelek, Mask of Silence combines this with making a target deaf.
VamprahA Makuta renowned for his hunting abilities and habit of never speaking.
- Bat out of Hell: The other Makuta merely have Bat-like elements in their designs. Vamprah is a bat.
- The Dreaded: He creeps even other Makuta out.
- Elective Mute: He instead prefers to communicate by telepathy, as he feels that speech is unnecessary noise that impedes in hunting.
- Emotion Eater and Energy Absorption: His Kanohi Avsa, Mask of Hunger.
- Silent Bob: It's unknown even to his fellow Makuta if he actually can't talk or he just prefers not to.
- Suddenly Voiced: Sort of. He yells in pain after a successful attack by Pohatu, but that's all we ever hear out of him.
Do you know why we Makuta hate Toa so much? It's because you are what we could only pretend to be, once upon a time — heroes who do good for no reward. And so we call you fools, and even slay you... because we could not be you.The second-in-command in Karda Nui. Unlike the others, he's actually got a moral compass and severe doubts in the plan, and often stealthilly rebelled against it when he could.
- Anti-Villain: Though he's allied with the Makuta he questions Teridax's plan.
- Body Horror: His mutation is by far the worst of the Mistika Makuta, to the point where Takanuva wasn't sure what he was upon first seeing him.
- Covered in Mud: How he appears whenever he shows up in the comics.
- Dark Is Not Evil: In personality, at least. He later makes a Heel–Face Turn shortly before his death, becoming a straight example of the trope.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He seems to detest Gorast and Icarax in particular. Doesn't stop him from trying to derail the Plan with Icarax or save Gorast and the rest from being set up to die, but she kills him for his perceived betrayal.
- Evil Albino: His appearance (white armor with faint red markings and red eyes) gives this effect, though compared to the other Makuta in personality he's more of a Heroic Albino.
- Fangs Are Evil: Has two pairs, one on his mask and one in his actual mouth.
- Foil: To Gorast, in both appearance and personality.
- Hiss Before Fleeing: When Takanuva appears during his conversation with Gali, Krika hisses at him and disappears into the mud.
- Kick the Bitch / Poke the Poodle: About the pettiest, most dickish thing he's ever done is repel Gorast into a tree.
- Lean and Mean: He's very thin and his armor looks like vertebrae.
- Loophole Abuse: How he got out of murdering his old leader Miserix. He just locked him up on a volcanic island down south.Gali: So you disobeyed. I didn't think Makuta had the spines to do that.Krika: Perhaps we do not. Should the volcanoes erupt with enough force and for enough time, Miserix will have no hope of survival. I gave him a chance, that's all.
- Noble Demon: To the point that he offers mercy to Gali, and upon hearing the Makuta will be killed upon Mata Nui's awakening, immediately tries to warn his comrades.
- No Sell: His Kanohi Crast, Mask of Repulsion can repel anything for offense or defense, but works on one thing at a time.
- Not Quite Flight: Out of all the Makuta on Karda Nui, Krika doesn't have wings. However, he uses his Mask Power to repel himself from the ground, thus achieving this.
- Shoulder Cannon: Seems to have a third arm to hold his Nynrah Ghostblaster.
- Unfortunate Name: "Krika" certainly sounds awesome. It's also Puerto Rican and Cuban slang for a certain area on the female body.
- Vampiric Draining: The Pit Mutagen affected his Intangibility power, making it so that he must absorb heat from living things to prevent fading away to nothing.
"Come back" indeed... what do I have to gain by saving them? When I make it out of here, Teridax will see that I am his most trusted lieutenant!A minor Brotherhood member who believes he's been sidelined due to his power. He's not too bright and mostly serves as an army whenever the Makuta need one.
- Ambition Is Evil: His defining character trait. It's made very clear that his ambition far outstrips his actual ability.
- Cursed with Awesome / Blessed with Suck: Bitil has often ended up with injuries and has no idea how he got them, since his future self can summon him from the past with his Kanohi.
- Doppelgänger Attack: His Kanohi Mohtrek, Mask of Duplication
- Timey-Wimey Ball: how Bitil gets the dupes.
- Dual Wielding / Sword and Gun: Yes, he can somehow hold one of his Longswords and his Nynrah Ghostblaster in one hand.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: He feels that he gets this from the other Makuta.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Whenever he starts with the duplicates, this trope is a safe bet.
Makuta never surrender, for the same reason Toa do not kill. It is not in our nature.A female Makuta and one of the Brotherhood's toughest warriors. She's fanatically devoted to Teridax, and Mata Nui protect you if she has reason to suspect your own loyalty.
- Ax-Crazy: So much so that only her Undying Loyalty keeps her stable. Mutran admits that her favorite pastimes include torturing and killing.
- Blood Knight: Loves fighting and killing.
- Famous Last Words: ''Krika was right. Krika was right."
- Power Incontinence: can be caused by her Kanohi Felnas, Mask of Disruption
- Undying Loyalty: To Teridax and the Plan. Her inability to reconcile this with his betrayal drives her mad in her final moments.
- Vampiric Draining: After exposure to Pit Mutagen, she grows a stinger with this ability on her mask. Not surprisingly, given her mosquito-like appearance.
- Villainous Breakdown: Goes insane when she realizes her loyalty was to a leader who plotted her demise.
I was bringing fabulous creatures into being. True, some of them did not live very long... and yes, one died quite an explosive death... but I had my successes as well. The shadow leech, for example — a mutated kraata that could drain the light out of any living being. Who couldn't love that?Mutran is a skilled scientist, responsible for several sucessful breeds of Rahi, who grew eccentric and unhinged as the ages passed. While he craves mayhem and destruction, he at least had a sense of skill and finesse with his experiments, unlike Chirox.
- Blade on a Stick: His Shadow Spear
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: He's...odd, though it's only really apparent when reading his chronicles. Then again, looking into the mind of an Eldritch Abomination doesn't come without a few scars.
- Mad Scientist: While all Makuta fit to some extent, Mutran is by far the one who best resembles the classic stylings.
- The Voiceless: His Kanohi Shelek, Mask of Silence combines this with making a target deaf.
I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse.A brutish, ambitious Makuta and their best warrior. He's contemptuous of Teridax and his Plan, which he views as cowardly and unnecessarily devious, preferring straight-up destructive action.
- Animated Armor: Icarax was devolved by the Ignika, so he's no longer this.
- Ax-Crazy: Infamous for this, though of all the Makuta he's one of two who actually doesn't like Teridax's plan (though not exactly for stellar reasons) and tries to stop it, and considering what Teridax intended for all of them, he had a point.
- Blood Knight: His main point of contention with Teridax? His plan isn't savage enough.
- Double Weapon: His Twin Sword
- The Dreaded: The most powerful fighter amongst the Brotherhood for a reason. Even when devolved he held his own and was winning against Vamprah and Gorast, and the only ones who've ever beaten him in a straight-up fight were Teridax and the Ignika with the former having to wear him out over the course of several hours. None of the Brotherhood were willing to argue with him when he decided not to originally go to Karda Nui despite direct orders because he was just that powerful and unpredictable.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: His Rotating Shadow Sword
- Jerkass Has a Point: While he was more angry about the fact it wasn't his plan the Brotherhood was using, he had a point about Teridax's schemes not at all being the best for everyone. And considering what Teridax did, he was absolutely right.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Icarax, who doesn't like Teridax's plan and would rather just go with brute force. Thankfully, or unfortunately, Teridax's supporters kill him before Icarax does anything to ruin the plan.
- The Starscream: From the beginning it's clear he's not on board with The Plan, and unlike Krika he's not afraid to admit it.
I don't have time for this. I have places to be, and bodies to break. I want you to send out a message to all your friends, to everyone who sails in and out of this island. Tell them Miserix is back, and when I find him, Teridax is dead!The former leader of the Brotherhood, Miserix was an intelligent and cautious leader who new better than to dignify Teridax's ambitions. However, Teridax got the upper hand, and Krika, who also disargeed with Terdiax, imprisoned rather than executed him. He was recently freed by Brutaka, and will stop at nothing to get his revenge.
- Adaptive Ability: His Mask of Mutation can mutate any living thing to the user's needs.
- Contest Winner Cameo: Like Krakua, his appearence came from a Brickmaster contest, though unlike Krakua, he was an established character before.
- Last of His Kind
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Not exactly a good guy, but at least sees value in not causing trouble.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Miserix prefers reptillian forms.
- Phantom Zone Picture: Forced into an illusion of this bent for a period of time by Teridax.
- Revenge Before Reason: He'll doom the entire universe, himself included, if it means destroying Teridax.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: He cuts a swath across the Matoran Universe once free, destroying any Brotherhood members or forces he comes across in pursuit of Teridax.
- Sealed Badass in a Can
They are outcasts. And so am I. Now, Brutaka, I am taking command of this ship. We will be setting a new course, for the island of Zakaz. It was there that I met defeat and disgrace — there that my grand experiment failed, because the inhabitants were too savage to know what to do with my gifts. It is their fault I was cast out of the Brotherhood — and now they are going to pay!An unskilled former member of the Brotherhood, cast out to save face after his experiments on Zakaz caused the Skakdi Civil War.
- Boxed Crook: A member of the Frederation of Fear.
- Epic Fail: Hoooooo boy. Considering the effect his endeavors on Zakaz had, it's a small wonder the Brotherhood threw him out.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Ironically, Spiriah with his Midak Skyblaster, as a being of shadow using a light weapon. Though it was given to him (with a warning not to point it at himself to boot).
- Small Name, Big Ego: And after his betrayal fails miserably, the only time the other members of the Federation of Fear don't rub it in is when they're exploiting it.
- You Have Failed Me: He ran rather than face this.
You want to learn the most powerful secret of Destral? You want the satisfaction of knowing what hides here before you die? Look around.The scheming scientist who invented the Tridax Pod used in the siege of Karda Nui.
Fenrakk Spider / Kardas DragonA ferocious spider Rahi with acid saliva. One was made giant-sized by the Mask of Life to serve as Vezon's steed, and later turned into a dragon after being defeated.
- Breath Weapon: Kardas constantly forms concussive energy in itself and releases it in a breath
- Chained Heat: The enlarged Fenrakk initially fought Vezon until the Ignika fused them together.
- Four-Legged Insect: Fenrakk
- Fusion Dance: Vezon was chained to Fenrakk's back.
- Giant Spider: Ordinary Fenrakk are several times larger than Toa. An individual Fenrakk got enlarged by the Ignika to serve as a guardian alongside Vezon.
- Pent Up Power Peril: Should the Kardas Dragon not use his Breath Weapon constantly, the resulting buildup would cause him to explode and kill himself.
- Scaled Up: After falling into lava, the enlarged Fenrakk transformed into Kardas.
HydrukaThese aquatic Rahi are the key to harvesting Airweed for air essential to the survival of the Matoran of Mahri Nui. Theit temperamental and stubborn nature makes it unwise to rush them.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Their tails have launchers that fire Solidified Air Bubbles.
Energy Hounds (Spinax)Some of the earliest Rahi to exist, Energy Hounds are renowned for tracking ability potent enough to track anything, anywhere in the world. Spinax was one such hound, owned by Hydraxon and later loaned to to a Maxilos robot to assist in guarding the Pit.
GadunkaThey are small Rahi with a powerful bite. One was enlarged by the Mask of Life, and instinctually seeks it for himself.
- Make My Monster Grow: One was enlarged by the Ignika, but has since reverted to its normal size.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Their mouths are filled with sharp teeth.
Toa Terrain CrawlerAn aquatic Rahi captured and heavily modified by Axonn and used by the Toa Mahri. More machine than beast, it sported thick armor hatches, several weapons, and a healing system.
- Animal Mecha: Modified by Axonn to transport the Toa Mahri and their equipment underwater.
- Healing Factor: For both itself and its occupants.
- Signature Team Transport: It was promoted as such for the Toa Mahri, though in story they used it for one trip through the Cord before releasing it.
KlakkThis strange creature boasts a powerful sonic scream that can counteract the draining effects of Shadow Leeches
Bara Magnans in General
- Abnormal Ammo: Thornax, a type of spiked, potentially explosive fruit.
- Edible Ammunition: But only to the Bone Hunters. Nobody else can stomach it.
Bara Magna's villagers, trying to eke out an existence on a harsh world. Like Matoran, they are divided into tribes, though only location sets them apart from each other instead of any physical differences. The main tribes to interact with each other are the fire, water, jungle, and ice tribes; and these four eventually united their villages into a large city.
- Badass Biker: Agori can take part in Gladiator Games through vehicle combat matches.
- Expy: Of Matoran (the other way around in-universe).
- Ungrateful Bastards: Towards the Glatorian, who are viewed as useful hired muscle but otherwise unwanted.
For a long time I have accepted that life for me and my people must be the way of toil and trial. But I dream of a better world...Raanu is one of the oldest and wisest Agori, and as such is leader of the Fire Tribe. He is a fierce leader motivated by the welfare of his village.
I'm sometimes known as a scavenger and I have been looking for and finding ancient items all my life. I fix the things I understand, and the other things I take apart and use the various parts for all kinds of things. Such is the life of a scavenger.Berix is a scavenger from the Water Tribe, an expert at finding and fixing abandoned tools. Unfortunately for him, others tend to conflate his collecting with thievery.
They call them ruins... but they're full of treasure, if you know where to look.Hailing from the Jungle Tribe, Tarduk is an avid treasure hunter, willing to brave anything in pursuit of the secrets to the past.
- Primal Stance: All Jungle Tribe Agori have ape-like stances and clawed hands and feet.
The Rock Tribe is clearly superior. Have you fought against this Skrall yet? He's going to win everything, you know. I do not concern myself with the other tribes. They are losers.An Agori of the Rock Tribe who no-one likes, Atakus is an overconfident fighter an total suck-up to the Skrall, particularly Stronius. He also a secret agent working for Velika.
I could always pick a winner.Posessing a persuasice way with words, this Agori of the Ice Tribe puts his talents to use bertering with villages and recruiting Glatorian. His self-serving ambition led him to work with the Skrall, leaking them valuable information.
Professional warriors hired by Bara Magna's tribes to represent them in the arena. Unlike Toa, their yet-unnamed race is completely separate from the Agori and they have no special powers. With the tribes uniting, the Glatorian have become the city's defense.
- Combat Pragmatist: Zig-zagged: Within the Arena is a controlled environment that maintains civility among the tribes, so they have a standard of honor to uphold. Outside the Arena is a merciless Death World where the populace can and will use every trick that they know to stay alive and ahead.
- Elemental Powers: Mata Nui's allies (so everyone except Malum, Strakk, and Gelu) as of Legend Reborn
- Expy: of Toa (again, the Glatorian's race came first in-universe, though a few getting Elemental Powers have made them sort of Recursive Expies)
- Sword and Gun: All Glatorian carry a Thornax Launcher but it's a single round Cartraid so they can't rely on it.
I'm bigger, stronger, and faster than the Agori. I've got a shield and a launcher, and I know how to use them. I'm a Glatorian. Doesn't that mean I have to protect people who aren't as strong as I am?A rookie serving as the Second Glatorian of the Jungle Tribe, Gresh is still young, yet very noble and posessing great potential. While Gresh prefers to practice in secret, he has an unfortunate habit of relying on tried-and-true techniques rather than trying new ones.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Gresh has a mild case, at least compared to the more profit-driven Glatorian.
- Dual Wielding / Dual Tonfas
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: His Jungle Shield
- Signature Move: A backflip followed by a Thornax shot.
We both saw Atero crumble. Well, not again, not to my village.Vastus is the Prime Glatorian of the Jungle Tribe, though he considers it more important to defend his village rather than serve in Arena Matches. This is because of a mistake he made long ago in the Core War, which cost the lives of thousands of innocent villagers, something he's been desperate to atone for ever since.
- Boom Stick: His Venom Talon has a Thornax Launcher on one end.
- Sinister Scythe: His Venom Talon, though the "Sinister" part is subverted; he's one of the good guys.
- Poisoned Weapons: Though he has drain the venom for Arena Matches.
- Super Senses: He's learned meditation techniques to improve his senses.
If I become Prime Glatorian I will retain my ferocity... and the other villages can go to blazes.Malum was the Second Glatorian of the Fire Tribe, until his dishonorable and violent temper got the better of him in a Match, and he was subsequently banished. He has since become the leader of a pack of Vorox, understanding and caring about them more than any other Glatorian.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's a violent, spiteful man, but he does care for his pack.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: Malum tried this on Strakk. He got fired for it.
- Nature Hero: Well, more like Nature Anti-Hero.
- Token Evil Teammate: He's "off the team" before the story starts, but has allied against the Skrall at least once.
- Shoulder Cannon: Malum has a shoulder-mounted Thornax Launcher.
- Wolverine Claws: His Flame Claws
Patience is the first lesson in becoming a great Glatorian.Ackar is the Prime Glatorian of the Fire Tribe, strengthened and wisened by age. However, his experiences are starting to take their toll on him, hampering his confidence and making him believe he's slipping in his old age. Thankfully, his friendship with Mata Nui has begun to restore his spirit.
- Badass Grandpa: Tarix and Vastus probably count too, but Ackar's the one dealing with a midlife crisis.
- Flaming Sword: Ackar's Flame Sword
- Magic Feather: Inverted with Ackar — he thinks he's losing his edge due to age, but it's just a confidence problem.
The secret to being a winner is already knowing the mistakes losers make... and not making them yourself.Tarix is the Prime Glatorian of the Water Tribe, a veteran of numerous battles. Wise and fierce, yet noble and fair, Tarix is respected all throughout Bara Magna.
Finally, someone to convince the Agori there's a better place than this miserable wasteland.Kiina is the Second Glatorian of the Water Tribe, known for being aggresive, haugty, and contsantly speaking of a better world than Bara Magna. She's not very well liked for these traits, but her skills are second to none, and she's considered a reliable ally. The recent arrival of Mata Nui my prove her dreams of another world true...
- All Amazons Want Hercules: She develops a bit of a crush on Mata Nui. Unfortunately for her...
- All Love Is Unrequited: Mata Nui, being designed for a rather specific purpose, doesn't have much capacity for romance.
- Double Weapon: Her Vapor Trident
- Prongs of Poseidon: His Vapor Trident
It's them or me. It's that simple. I will do anything I can to win — do you think my opponents see it any differently? Don't be foolish.Strakk was the Prime Glatorian of the Ice Tribe prior to his banishment, a self-centered sort who fights dirty and only works for what he considers a decent pay.
- An Axe to Grind: His Ice Axe
- Kick Them While They Are Down: Strakk, however, Tries it on Ackar after losing a match to him. He got fired, too.
- Token Evil Teammate: Before he gets banished, at least.
Agori, you've been in danger since before Bara Magna had moons. Now do as I say.Gelu was a Glatorian in service of the Ice Tribe until he retired and found being a caravan escort more rewarding. He's an aloof (and very insistant on upfront pay) but dedicated guardian whose heart is in the right place.
We fight. We win. We take. We are Skrall! The match is over!The Skrall are a separate species that is better trained and/or physically superior to the Glatorian. There are at least three breeds of Skrall: soldiers, stronger elite forces, and leaders. They form the warriors of the Rock Tribe, a previously isolated tribe that recently moved south to join the others, and started taking resources left and right from the other tribes through arena victories before moving to open warfare. The Skrall typically don't go by individual names, though ones who do acts of renown earn names of their own, such as the soldier-class Branar and the elite-class Stronius. After Tuma's humiliating defeat, the tribe has fractured into several splinter groups.
- Bug Caste System: The bulk of the Skrall are nameless warriors, while Tuma is the sole survivor of the leading "royal" caste of warlords.
- Carry a Big Stick: Elite-Skrall's Thorned Clubs
- Chainsaw Good: Saw Blade Shields (actually Buzzsaw Good, but whatever)
- Cool Sword: Skrall Tribal Design Blades
- He-Man Woman Hater: And the feeling is mutual, to the point that they live in separate No Woman's Land and Lady Land (though rock Agori of both genders live with the men).
- Invading Refugees: Retreating from the Baterra.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Saw Blade Shields, standard equipment for soldier-Skrall, along with Cool Swords. Tuma also has one in the movie.
- Mooks: Soldier-Skrall
- Elite Mooks: Elite-Skrall
- No Need for Names: Mostly; Skrall have to earn the right to have a name.
- Opposing Sports Team: While they still bothered with the arena.
- Swiss Army Weapon / Gunblade: Normal Skralls' swords have a Thornax Launcher attached to them.
- Sword and Gun: Tuma; Elite-Skrall are club-and-gun.
- Tron Lines: The rock tribal markings.
- Vertical Mecha Fins: Soldier-Skrall
Push too far, and you may find I forget what is in the best interests of my people in favor of what would be most... satisfying... to myself.Tuma is the last surviving leader-class Skrall, and thus the tribe's leader. He views himself as a natural-born conqueror, and his success as a fighter and military strategist may back that up.
- Large and in Charge: Something that was a trait of all leader-class Skrall.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: A villianous example, he puts the benefit of his tribe above all else.
The Sisters of the Skrall
You came here out of fear, just as you abandoned us out of fear... just as your kind banished us millennia ago, out of fear. You stink of it, Tuma, despite your mighty legions, despite your conquests. You are a warrior made of straw.Long ago, all female Skrall were given psychic abilities by an Eldritch Abomination named Annona (though they attribute this to a Great Being known as Angonce). This drove enmity between the men and women, eventually leading them to split off to become their own faction. Now completely enslaved to the monster's will, anyone who crosses them will find them a greater threat than the most seasoned and well-armed warrior.
- Gender-Restricted Ability: The Sisters have mental abilities, as opposed to the physically-focused males.
Toa Mata Nui
It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born. My beginning was much the same. Once I was a towering giant, ruler of my own universe. Fearless. Beholden to none. Protector of my people. Until I was betrayed. All that I had been, all that I had known, was stolen from me by an ever-present evil. My power stripped away, my people enslaved. I was left powerless to save them. And yet, a part of me survived. My spirit. Captured and preserved inside a mask worn by a Toa warrior, its name echoed my rebirth. The Mask of Life!The Great Spirit who looked after the world, until he was put to sleep a thousand years ago by Makuta. He actually was a forty-million-foot living robot who housed the Matoran world within his body, built a hundred thousand years ago by the Great Beings and sent to wander space studying other planets and cultures, before returning to help restore the planet.His body was taken over and his spirit exiled into space by Makuta, only to land on the desert planet Bara Magna. There, he adopted a normal-sized body in the form and title of his world's heroes. His mission was to get back to his realm and rescue his people from the evil that has claimed them. While he didn't have any special powers like real Toa would, the Mask of Life he wore could transform any organic material. Mata Nui only used this form temporarily, and eventually transferred his essence into the repaired prototype of his original body to face off against and eventually kill Makuta. His godlike powers then undid the Shattering, restoring Spherus Magna into its original state. Mata Nui's spirit is currently lying dormant inside the Mask of Life.
- All-Loving Hero / Nice Guy: There's nothing to hate about Mata Nui. Even in exile, he always puts everyone's needs before his own.
- Ascended Extra: Mata Nui's went from being the omnipotent but incapacitated Big Good to The Hero of the Bara Manga saga.
- The Atoner: He blames himself for putting the Matoran universe beneath his notice and allowing Makuta to take over.
- Badass Baritone: Comes with being voiced by Michael Dorn.
- Brought Down to Badass: After being exiled by Makuta, he is no longer a giant robot. However, he still has his fighting skills as a Glatorian and the power of the Mask of Life, and he uses both to maximum effect.
- But Now I Must Go / We Will Meet Again: In the conclusion of Journey's End
- Cain and Abel: The Legend of Mata Nui portrayed him as Abel, with Makuta as Cain. However, the legend was eventually Ret-Conned into a bogus tale of the Turaga. Doubly subverted, as the two were truly meant to be brothers in that they were supposed to work together to rebuild Spherus Magna, and Makuta refused all of Mata Nui's requests to work together.
- Cool Mask / Mask of Power: The Mask of Life
- Cool Sword: Mata Nui used a Vorox stinger as a sword after reforging it with the Mask of Life.
- Establishing Character Moment: After the Opening Narration of The Legend Reborn sets him up as once being the mighty ruler of a universe, it says a lot that his first onscreen act is to stop himself from squashing a bug, and try to befriend the lowly creature.
- First Church of Mecha: Inhabitants all over the Matoran Universe praise Mata Nui for his goodness.
- Genius Loci: He is the mind that controls an entire artificial environment housed within a giant robot.
- The Ghost
- God Is Good: One of the very few characters that can be considered a deity in the setting, and his benevolence goes without saying.
- God's Hands Are Tied: Mata Nui showing more interest in other worlds is what caused the world inside him to suffer a cataclysm event at the hands of Makuta Teridax, who injected Mata Nui with a virus of sorts that eventually put him to sleep causing him to crash land onto the water planet Aqua Magna.
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: Or rather, caught up in his science homework.
- Gods Need Prayer Badly: Not so much prayer, as it is steady work from the Matoran. Without proper maintence, his body would malfunction.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: His Glatorian body is golden.
- Heavy Sleeper: justified, as Makuta used a specialized virus to weaken him and eventually lull him into a thousand year slumber.
- The Hero: Of the franchise as a whole, actually. Once the Toa awakened him, it was Mata Nui's job to stop Makuta once and for a all.
- Honor Before Reason: With the fate of the universe at stake, Mata Nui, barely used to his new body and armed with a shield and a broken stinger, jumps into arena combat to save a Glatorian he didn't know.
- Humble Hero: See Establishing Character Moment.
- Humongous Mecha: First, his original robot body. Then, he acquires a second body, which is actually a prototype to his original body. He uses it to kill Makuta.
- Living Ship: With an entire universe full of inhabitants.
- Nonindicative Name: the "Great Spirit" actually has a body
- Upgrade vs. Prototype Fight: Mata Nui inhabits a prototype robot to fight Makuta, who is controlling his current, more advanced body. Mata Nui wins.
- Planet Spaceship: Mata Nui was designed to observe other universes while having beings inside him functioning as Nano Machines in a sense. His Humongous Mecha body is roughly forty million feet (7,575 mi or 12,192 km) tall and had a camouflage system that created an island on his face. Mata Nui was able to control specific things like gravity and light within his body.
- Present Absence: He was always there, it's just that he was sleeping.
- Slept Through the Apocalypse: with a twist; his falling asleep plummets him into Aqua Magna, in turn causing the apocalypse inside his body during his unconsciousness. He does eventually wake up, but only for Makuta to steal his body.
- Super Empowering: He's able to use the Mask of Life to charge Glatorian Weapons with elemental powers, giving them an edge over the Skrall.
- Sword and Gun (his larger toy; his smaller toy is shield-and-gun and he uses sword and shield in the movie)
- We Will Meet Again: Upon his exile, he has vowed "I will return."
ClickA Scarabax beetle that acts as Mata Nui's pet and sidekick. Thanks to the mask, it can turn into a shield for Mata Nui to use.
The Great Beings
The Great Beings
He, his brothers and sisters were scholars. Their theories, discoveries and inventions had transformed this world and changed the lives of the inhabitants, the Agori, in many ways. In gratitude, they had long ago been proclaimed rulers of Spherus Magna. The Agori called them the “Great Beings.” But the business of running a world — settling disputes, managing economies, dealing with defense issues, worrying about food and equipment supplies — all of this the Great Beings found a distraction. They wanted to build, study, invent, not oversee, adjudicate, and set policy.A race of creators, they made Mata Nui, the Matoran world, and everything in it. Their home planet of Spherus Magna was devastated in "the Shattering" a hundred thousand years ago; becoming the triplet planets of Bara Magna, Aqua Magna, and Bota Magna. In response, Mata Nui was built and sent into space, to return and help reunite Spherus Magna once the pieces had stabilized. Other creations of theirs now walk the lands of Bara Magna. The Great Beings' current status is unknown.Known Great Beings include Angonce; one of the moral moral Great Beings who was curious about the Agori, Heremus; who invented the Baterra, an as of yet unnamed Great Being who was cursed by the Mask of Life, and one who is enacting a plan to take control of Spherus Magna that involves becoming a Matoran under the assumed name of Velika.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: There was an Eldritch Abomination that fed on dreams, but when it tried this on the Great Beings, they unknowingly started feeding on its dreams, which fueled their desire to create. Eventually, just by virtue of existing, the Great Beings forced Annona into hiding to avoid them.
- Emperor Scientists: Ex-rulers of Spherus Magna. 'Ex' because they felt that ruling the planet was taking too much time away from their experiments.
- The Faceless: Their physical appearance has never been described. They're humanoid, but that's about all we know.
- For Science!: The reason for basically everything they ever did. For what other purpose would they give the resident giant scorpion monsters guns on their tails, built-in targeting systems, and treads on their feet?
- King Incognito: A Great Being transferred his/her consciousness to a new body to secretly live among the Matoran. Over a year after the story otherwise stalled out, this was revealed as Velika, a Po-Matoran inventor on Voya Nui who always spoke in riddles.
The Sand TribeA tribe that was altered by the Great Beings into scorpion-like subspecies; the Agori became the Zesk and the Glatorian are now the Vorox. Since the Shattering, the tribe members on Bara Magna have regressed to a primal state and they now roam the wastelands as little more than beasts (those in the forests of Bota Magna to the north were spared this fate). Kabrua leads the intelligent northern tribe, while ex-Glatorian Malum has earned a place as leader of a wild Vorox pack since his exile.
The Bone HuntersA distant offshoot of the rock Agori, living as nomadic raiders.
- Cool Sword: Fero, one of the Bone Hunters, uses a Skrall Tribal Design Blade.
- Mooks: to the Rock Tribe when they joined forces
- Sword and Gun: Fero uses a Skrall sword and Thornax Launcher
The Iron TribeA tribe of miners wiped out by plague prior to the Shattering; they somehow lost their ability to dream, which led to madness and death. (It's later discovered that they were victims of an Eldritch Abomination.) The few Agori and Glatorian-race that remain are shunned as possible disease carriers and live scattered in the wastes.
- Always Chaotic Evil: At least, that's how it appears, given the example that Sahmad and Telluris set.
- Dream Stealer: The actual cause of the "plague".
- The Immune: Anyone who's left is assumed to be this, but with the reveal of the "plague's" origin, it could be the Abomination just got full.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Subverted, the remaining memvers of the tribe tried to use minerals to change their main color from metallic blue to orange, but it didn't fool the other tribes.
What did it matter if our sleep was just that: sleep, unmarred by illusions and fantasies? And if you can't dream, then you don't have to worry about nightmares, right? Wrong. If you can't dream, your waking life becomes the nightmare.One of the survivors of the Dreaming Plague, Sahmad deeply resents the other tribes that shunned his tribe in their time of need. He makes a living capturing other Agori to be sold into slavery for the Skrall, and often deals with baggage from what happened to his tribe.
- The Lost Lenore: He had a lover who died from the plague.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Sahmad has a Cool Sword and Thornax Launcher combination
You know what will happen if you shoot? There will be a big boom and we’ll all die. You, me and your friends down below. You will die, you know that right?Known for being a talented engineer of the Glatorian race, the aftermath of the Plague left Telluris a deranged madman. His pride and joy is the Skopio XV-1, a massive war machine designed and named after the Skopio beasts that the Iron Tribe revered.
- Blood Knight: He jumped at a chance to pit his machine against the Skrall.
- Spider Tank: The Skopio XV-1 made and used by Telluris
Sahmad: I always thought the Skopio was a gaudy waste of time and materials. No matter how big your weapon, someone else can always build a bigger one. You don't conquer your enemies with something they can see coming ten miles away. You do it by working your way inside like the larva of a spiked worm, making yourself a part of their society, and then blotting them out from the inside. The Skopio was Telluris' crutch, his way of throwing an armed and armored tantrum at the world.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Sahmad comments how ineffective the vehicle is for Telluris' conquest, especially the size.
The BaterraMechanical shapeshifters created by the Great Beings as a doomsday weapon, programmed to kill all armed combatants. They've driven the rock tribe south, and the Skrall are hoarding resources to prepare for war with them.
- Override Command: The Great Beings tried to shut them down. It didn't take.
- Sheathe Your Sword: Baterra kill all armed combatants, but "armed" is the key word here.
The Element LordsOnce the same race as the Glatorian (save the Lord of Rock, who was a Skrall), they were transformed by the Great Beings to take over leadership of the Agori tribes, but led the tribes into war over Energized Protodermis. Lost and presumed dead in the Shattering, but they were only trapped; they've recently gotten free (but have not yet interacted with the tribes).
- Nature Is Not Nice: quoth the Lord of Jungle:We became nature itself, as benevolent, giving, ruthless and indifferent as that can mean.
Dreams are my meat and drink. With them, I am power. Without them, I am nothing.