open/close all folders
Heroic Age recruits
Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady)
Winter Soldier / Captain America
Real name: James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes
- see the Winter Soldier page
Captain Marvel / Protector / Marvel Boy
Real name: Noh-Varr
- Combo Platter Powers: Aside from some of the tropes below, he also has enhanced reflexes, speed, strength, and endurance.
- Extreme Omnivore
- Heinz Hybrid: Part Kree, part cockroach.
- I Have Many Names: Marvel Boy, Captain Marvel, and Protector
- Legacy Character: To Captain Marvel in the Thunderbolts
- Master of Your Domain
- Walking Armory: Has access to a wide variety of advanced Kree weaponry.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
Real name: Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
- see the Red Hulk page
Real name: Jessica Drew
- see the Spider-Woman page
Real name: Bruunhilde
- Action Girl
- Blade on a Stick
- Cool Horse: Aragorn, a pegasus that used to belong to the Black Knight.
- Cool Sword: Wields a magical sword made from a dragon's fang.
- Half-Human Hybrid: She's a demigod.
- Most Common Superpower
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe
Shattered Heroes recruits
Real name: Brian Braddock
- see the Captain Britain page
Real name: Daisy Johnson
- see the Quake page
Marvel NOW! recruits
Real name: Samuel "Sam" Guthie
- Bumbling Dad: After the Time Skip in Time Runs Out.
- Deep South: He's from rural Kentucky.
- Flying Brick: Only applies when he's actively using his powers, which means when he's flying he's completely invulnerable.
- I Believe I Can Fly
- Massive Numbered Siblings: He comes from a big family.
- 10-Minute Retirement: During the Time Skip Sam gets Izzy and their child to leave Earth and takes their child to live in the Shi'ar Empire before Sunspot comes around to bring him back in the "Time Runs Out" arc.
Real name: Tamara Devoux
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of the universe itself.
- Broken Hero: Both personalities, Tamara was in a car accident and was in a coma for a decade before Captain Universe took her body as her host. Captain Universe feels some is wrong with universe and a great disturbance coming from the Earth that warranted it/her taking on a full time host to confront the yet shown threat.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Due to Tamara's brain damage, any time she's at the wheel she just talks about pie.
- Distaff Counterpart
- Flip Personality: Due to their circumstances Captain Universe is in control most of the times but Tamara will have moments where she returns to the surface.
- Legacy Character: Technically the Captain Universe power jumps from host to host, the current Captain Universe appearing Avengers is just one of a long line.
- Physical God: The Builders worship the Uni-Power.
- Super Strength
Real name: None
Real name: Alex Summers
Teams served on: Avengers Unity Squad
- Cain and Abel: While Scott is readying a mutant revolution, Alex has pretty much become the face of mutant/human relations by becoming the leader of his own team of Avengers.
- Energy Absorption: Absorbs cosmic energy from the atmosphere and he can fire it at will.
- Hand Blast: He tends to fire his energy blasts through his hands.
Real name: Marcus Milton
- Alternate Company Equivalent: For Superman
- Badass Beard: Grows one during the Time Skip in Avengers and New Avengers.
- Bash Brothers: Forms this sort of relationship with Thor.
- Eye Beams
- Eye Scream: On the receiving end from a Beyonder.
- Flying Brick
- Innocently Insensitive: He's not too good with regular people, as demonstrated when he attempted to calm a police officer, and just sounded weird.
- Killed Off for Real: Apparently, in Time Runs Out. He appears to have gotten better after Secret Wars (2015).
- Knight Templar: Has shades of it.
- Nigh Invulnerable: He's a Superman Expy. It's a given. One supervillain tries to shoot him with a ray-gun capable of melting almost anything. Hyperion isn't even singed. Then he tries a sonic cannon. Doesn't do a thing. Then a last-ditch missile. His cape gets torn, but that's it.
- Papa Wolf: He's very protective of the zebra-children that live in the Savage Land. And children in general. When the Melter kidnaps a little boy, he's incredibly pissed.
- Sole Survivor: Of not only his original home world but of his entire home universe.
- Super Strength
- Void Between the Worlds: Where AIM found him After the destruction of his home universe.
- Warrior Therapist: During a Hyperion focused issue he literally talks a child kidnapper armed with a Death Ray down instead of throwing a single punch.
Real name: Eden Fesi
- Australian Aborigines
- Mass Teleportation: His main contribution on the Avengers team
- Our Wormholes Are Different
- Power Incontinence: His powers are connected to the "systems" of the Builders, and now that they're broken his powers aren't always working properly. Apparently if he leaves his home universe, his powers would stop working altogether.
Real name: Isabel "Izzy" Kane
- Alternate Company Equivalent: Inverted as she is the Distaff Counterpart legacy of a character based around the LegionOfSuper-Heroes character, Ultra Boy.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: During the events of the opening story arc of the series Avengers World, She gets better.
- Eye Beams
- Flying Brick
- Legacy Character: She is the fifth character shown to hold the title of Smasher in the Marvel Universe
- The Nth Doctor: Despite being the 5th named character, Izzy's origin shows that at any given time there are 1000s different 'subguardians' active at anytime working toward eventually taking over a 'Superguardian' title (such as Smasher) and join the main branch of the Imperial Guard.
Real name: Shiro Yoshida
Real name: Roberto da Costa
Team(s) served on: The Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Idea Mechanics (leader), American Intelligence Mechanics
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Crimefighting with Cash: He actually buys out the services of A.I.M. minions during an undercover operation. During the Time Skip, he literally buys his way into A.I.M. and uses their services for good.
- Flying Brick
- Kirby Dots: When powered up he emits these.
- Pure Energy: He can fire blasts of energy.
- The Power of the Sun: His mutation allows him to absorb solar radiation for a variety of powers.
- Super Strength: He used to be able to lift only 25 tons, but his strength has doubled over the years so that he can now lift up to 50 tons.
- Supporting Leader: As of the Time Skip, he's leading the "New Avengers" to stop S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Illuminati from destroying one another.
Real name: Shang-Chi
- Badass Normal
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Bruce Lee Clone
- Depending on the Writer
- Fad Super
- Martial Arts Uniform
- Martial Pacifist
Real name: Victor Mancha
Real name: Abyss
- Brother-Sister Team: With Ex Nihilo
- Casting a Shadow: Her powers involve controlling a shadowlike energy.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Human Aliens: Unlike her brother who is a horned, golden skinned being, Abyss looks very similar to normal humans.
- Last of Her Kind: All the other Abyssii died off years ago.
- Ship Tease: Is very interested in Thor when she first meets him.
Real name: Alexis
- Cain and Abel: Her relationship with Dimitrios could be thought of as such, both were born from the virus that Hank Pym created to destroy Ultron.
- Flying Brick: As an artificial being she's much more durable than any human, she also possess super strength and the ability to fly.
- Hand Blast: Can Fire blast of purple energy from her fists.
- Identity Amnesia: When she was first found, she had no memory of who or what she was.
- My Future Self and Me: Has met two future versions of herself that helped her get past the mental blocks placed on her by Dimitrios.
- Really 700 Years Old: Compared to most of the other A.I. beings in the diamond Alexis is ancient, being one of the original first six A.I. that evolved from the diamond.
- Ridiculously Human Robot
- Seers: Seems to have some type of precognitive ability.
- Super Strength: Shown lifting a piece of a giant sentinel overhead with one arm.
- Tangled Family Tree: She's technically one of Pym's artificial grandchildren, since he was the creator of the virus that spawned the diamond and her and the other five original AI. This also makes her and Dimitrios 'cousins' to Vision, Jocasta, and Victor.
Real name: Adam Brashear
- Antagonistic Offspring: His second son, Max, is pissed at him, blaming him for what happened to his brother. They do eventually reconcile.
- Antimatter: His powers were the result of an accident when he was working on a negative reactor which would harness anti-matter by creating a bridge between the negative zone and the positive matter universe.
- Cool Old Guy: Though he looks like he's in his late 40's, he's actually around his mid to late 80's.
- Eye Beams
- Flying Brick
- Healing Factor
- Hero of Another Story: Adam has had a long life full of strange adventures, including among other things fighting the sentient Y2K virus.
- Kryptonite Factor: Neutronium, an unstable element from outside conventional reality, is one of the few things that can actually hurt him.
- Light 'em Up
- My Greatest Failure: His son Kevin is trapped in the neutral zone, and he's incapable of doing anything to save him. Eventually, it turns out Kevin changed in his time out there, and meaning he couldn't come home if he wanted to.
- The Needless: Adam doesn't really need to sleep, and after his wife's passing started avoiding it.
- Retired Badass: He was forced out of business by the U.S. government in the 60s, but took up adventuring on the quiet after a few decades, until his son's accident and his wife's passing. It took Thanos' invasion for him to get back into business again.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Has a wide knowledge of a lot of sciences. But then, he has had several decades to study them.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Science Hero
Real name: Ex Nihilo
- Affably Evil
- Brother-Sister Team: With Abyss
- Evilutionary Biologist: Of the cosmic type, he and his sister Abyss have been traveling from world to world evolving species that they deemed worthy of evolution. But he's not evil, per se. Just misguided. Once Captain Universe tells him to stop destroying worlds, he agrees.
- Eye Beams: Fires one from the third eye on his forehead.
- Heel–Face Turn:
- Heroic Sacrifice: Alongside Abyss and the rest of the Ex Nihilii, turning a Beyonder into a tree.
- Hostile Terraforming: Attempts to do this to the Earth, drawing the attention of the Avengers.
- Horned Humanoid: Sports two large uneven horns.
- Jumped at the Call: After being informed that Captain Universe wanted him to join the team, Captain America asked if he had it in him to be an Avenger, he drew a line through the omega on his chest turning it into an A.
- Large Ham: He's very jovial and bombastic, and almost never seen without a smile on his face.
- Meaningful Name
- Power Up Full Color Change: Changes from gold to black when using his powers offensively or enraged.
- Third Eye
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Aleph, his father-figures, exists to destroy planets that the Builders no longer consider worthy. Ex Nihilo's attempt to terraform Earth was a last ditch effort to avoid doing this.
Real name: Adam Blackveil
- Artificial Human: He was created on Mars by Ex Nihilo to be the new Adam to the new race of humans that would come to inherit the earth.
- Harbinger of Impending Doom: After his birth he tries to warn everyone of the approaching White Event, unfortunately for him no one could understand a single word that he was saying.
- Merlin Sickness: As of the eight month time jump he's aging in reverse, looking more like a teenager than the full grown adult he was when he was born on Mars. This is because he's part of a universal system that's broken, meaning he de-ages every time he uses his powers. It eventually kills him, though he eventually gets better.
- Power Tattoo: The glowing crescent moon glyph on his forehead.
- Really Was Born Yesterday: A fact which gets lampshaded on occasion.
- Those Two Guys: Ends up in this dynamic with Star Brand once they meet.
- The Unintelligible: He spoke only in builder code, at least until Captain Universe gave him the ability to speak English.
Real name: Victor Alvarez
Ronin / Blade
Ronin / Blade
Real name: Eric Brooks
Team(s) served on: Mighty Avengers
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Healing Factor: Heals from being disembowled. He is fine a few pages later.
- Living MacGuffin: Is this to the deathwalkers, as they required a hybrid to sacrifice in order to complete their spell.
- Second Super-Identity: Because of unknown circumstances he has to hide his true identity. First appearing to help Luke, Spider-Man, and Monica as the Spider-Hero, and later adopting the Ronin identity.
- Turns out it was because he needed a costume to hide his identity. Otherwise the Deathwalkers would find out he was in the area and would catch onto him.
Real name: Kevin Connor
- Artifact of Doom: The Star Brand, which gives it's wielder the power enough to destroy a world.
- Death by Origin Story: Inadvertently caused the deaths of everyone in his college when he received the Star Brand.
- Flying Brick: The Star Brand effectively turns him into one of these, though one powerful enough to defend an entire planet.
- How Do I Shot Web?: His early use of the Star Brand resulted in a lot of trouble.
- Legacy Character: Kinda-sorta. The Star Brand's been around since The New Universe and caused a lot of trouble when it showed up in the MU proper 15+ years ago.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The Star Brand is one of the most powerful weapons in existence, and the White Events are designed to confer these powers on beings who are properly suited to use that power. This White Event went wrong, but Kevin seems to be doing fine with the power he's got. Usually.
- Power Tattoo: The aforementioned Star Brand.
- Power Up Full Color Change: When he interfaces with the Earth as a last-ditch move, the color of his uniform (which was created by his powers) permanently changes from red to blue.
- Super Loser: He originally was an adorkable, socially awkward, scrawy dweeb that everyone mostly ignored. After he gets almost unlimited power he's still pretty much an adorkable, socially awkward, scrawy dweeb that everyone mostly ignores.
- Superpower Lottery: Like you wouldn't believe.
- Super Senses: After a time, the Star Brand begins to give him these. He can see atoms merging.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to punch the Hulk into orbit, and a blow from Mjolnir doesn't even phase him. And that's just when he starts off.
- Taking You with Me: To a Beyonder. Albeit not willingly.
Real name: Ava Ayala
- Animal Theme Naming
- Badass Family: Both her elder brother and niece have had runs as the White Tiger. Neither times ended spectacularly well, which is something that troubles Ava.
- Bash Brothers: Has become this with Victor, as their powers compliment one another.
- Cat Girl
- Femme Fatalons
- Healing Factor
- It's Personal: Her family were murdered by Gideon Mace. Ava was willing to try and murder him in revenge.
- Legacy Character
- Not So Stoic: While on the job, Ava is completely stoic and serious. When she's not... she's slightly stoic, but she is capable of emotion from time to time.
- Spicy Latina
- Willing Channeler: One night a month she allows the tiger god to control her body and run free, up until the tiger takes over and tries to violently murder a man, at which point Ava forces it to give up full control to her.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Her remaining family don't want anything to do with her, on account of the amulet. The last time she tried to reach out to them, they drove her away.
Avengers NOW! recruits
Real name: Jericho Drumm
Real name: Kaluu
Team(s) served on: Mighty Avengers
- Dark Is Not Evil: Though he's a master of the dark arts, Kaluu has never been overtly evil but more neutral.
- Jerk Ass
- Really 700 Years Old: Was a student of the mystic arts alongside the ancient one, around five hundred years ago.
- Token Evil Teammate: "Evil" is stretching it, but Kaluu is definitely a jerk. Steve Rodgers is hostile to the very idea of him being present in the room.
Nova (Sam Alexander)
Real name: Samuel "Sam" Alexander
Real name: Aikku Jokinen
- Curb-Stomp Battle: She defeated all of them single handedly the first time she faced them.
- Flying Brick
- Powered Armor: Was granted one of these by Ex Nihilo's origin bomb, as she was meant to become the planets self defense mechanism.
- Token Lesbian
- Void Between the Worlds: How AIM captured her after she defeated the Avengers, they placed her in the empty space where two universes were destroyed.
Real name: Victor Creed
Real name: Michaud
All-New, All-Different Marvel recruits
Real name: America Chavez
Real name: Theodore "Teddy" Altman
Human Torch (Johnny Storm)
Real name: Johnny Storm
- see the Fantastic Four page
Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Real name: None
Real name: Melissa Gold
Team(s) served on: Avengers Idea Mechanics (field leader)
Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
Real name: Doreen Green
- see the Squirrel Girl page
Real name: Emily Guerrero
- Living Lie Detector: Under Cable's tutelage, Synapse realized that she has a synaesthetic reaction to other people's thoughts. When someone is telling the truth, she registers it as smelling like seaweed, while lies smell like strawberries.
- Token Minority: She's the only Inhuman member on the team.
- Twofer Token Minority: Her family is half Irish, half Mexican.
Thor (Jane Foster)
Asgardian / Wiccan / Demiurge
Real name: William "Billy" Kaplan
Marvel NOW! (2016) recruits
Iron Man (Victor von Doom)
The Wasp (Nadia Pym)
Real name: William Talltrees
Team(s) served on: Occupy Avengers
Iron Patriot (Toni Ho)
Real name: Toni Ho
Team(s) served on: American Intelligence Mechanics
Captain America 20XX