Characters / Ask Dr. Rin!
By day, your typical teenage girl
who has a few good friends and is hopelessly in love with her Victorious Childhood Friend
, Asuka. She loves feng shui divination, and seems pretty good at it. Sometimes, she's able to use it to help out her friends. By night, however, she's Dr. Rin, an online fortune-telling wonder who gets tons of e-mails and is driving her father's business into ruin. Things begin to become weird when a strange evil spirit seems intent on stealing her "power," although what this power could be, she has no idea. Her only protections are her loyal True Companions
and her magic hakke crystal, which protects her from harm. She is the reincarnation of Haoyung Laila, the person who sanctions Meirin's feng shui ability
- Badass Adorable
- Dragons Up the Yin Yang: Her hakke crystal whenever it activates.
- Expy: Of Usagi, from Sailor Moon. Or Miaka, from Fushigi Yuugi. Frankly, the entire series is built as a Homage to these two, so it should be expected.
- Foil: Against Asuka.
- Fortune Teller: Using her feng shui powers as the anonymous Dr. Rin.
- Genki Girl: Particularly on the walk to school with Asuka, where she invariably goes into Super-Deformed mode and hovers around Asuka as a Human Hummingbird.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Henshin Hero: In true shojo All-Loving Hero fashion.
- Love Freak: Just about every other line out of her mouth, even if it isn't relating to Asuka is about true love.
- Mad Love: Her affections for Asuka look like this at first, but it's easy enough to tell that he returns her affections a few episodes in.
- Magical Girl
- Motormouth: Whenever she's thinking about Asuka.
- Naïve Everygirl
- Odango Hair: Heck, she's a Sailor Moon Expy, so these come with the terrain.
- Opposites Attract: She's a Genki Magical Girl Love Freak. He's a straight-laced skeptic. Naturally, they make an adorable couple.
- Reincarnation Romance
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The energetic girl to Asuka's savvy guy.
- Secret Identity Identity
- Weirdness Magnet
- Victorious Childhood Friend: It's so obvious from the start of the series that you don't even need the spoilers.
Voiced by: Takayuki Sorita
Meirin's childhood friend
and next-door neighbor. Asuka is largely a skeptic on all matters of the occult and also trying to maintain a normal middle school life at the same time. Needless to say, the appearance of evil forces out to take away his best friend throw him out of that rut pretty quickly. He holds up pretty well, despite being one of the few members of the cast not to have magic powers until he finds out he does
. He plays on the soccer team along with Tokiwa and Shinagawa. He often winds up playing the Straight Man
foil to... just about everyone else in the cast. He is, in fact, the reincarnation of Seiryuu, the blue dragon, who previously had a relationship with Haoyung Laila. They were forced to separate, which is part of the reason why he begins the series so determinedly skeptical of magic
from a local shrine, he transfers to Meirin's school at the beginning of the series and immediately sets his sights on her
, declaring Asuka his rival and trying to burn down the school while she's in it
just so that he can rescue her from it. Once his Demonic Posession
is cleared up, he immediately goes about showing a much nicer personality that, while still narcissistic and hopelessly flirty
, is more Chick Magnet
than Stalker With a Crush
. He still has a crush on Meirin and competes with Asuka for her affections. He is the reincarnation of Byakko, the white tiger
A young boy
who can tell fortunes using tarot cards
. Banri appears first trying to trap Meirin in a white card in order to steal her powers, usually by manipulating her feelings for Asuka. As it turns out, Banri was being manipulated by Cynthia, a favorite toy of his mother's, in the trauma he suffered after his mother died
. After Cynthia herself was purified, Banri went back to being a cute young boy
. He is the reincarnation of Genbu, the black tortoise
After an unfortunate accident that the soccer team's coach has after school hours, Eddy takes over as substitute coach while his parrot, Takoyaki, frustrates the team from his hangout on the net. He quickly gains a reputation for being particularly strict with them. He shows a bit of a crush on Meirin quite early on, although this is yet another play by the evil spirit for Meirin's hakke crystal
. During a date with her, he shows off some of his astrology skills. He is the reincarnation of Suzaku, the red bird
One of Meirin's two best friends. Cool, calm, and collected; she serves as a foil for the much more excitable and ditzy Shuuko. Shinagawa pursues her with a passion that she seems to tolerate, but without actually giving him any ideas that she reciprocates.
Voiced by: Kana Kouguchi
The more ditzy and valley-girl-ish of Meirin's two best friends, Shuuko is nonetheless a devoted friend who will always be there for Meirin. Of course, if there's a chance to chase a cute guy in the process, that's even better.
Voiced by: Kei Watanabe
A good guy at heart, Shinagawa is the earnest Plucky Comic Relief
. He's Asuka's best friend and plays on the soccer team with him. He has an obvious crush on Yue, but can't convince her to give him the time of day.
Tenshin, Nanao, Cynthia, and Takoyaki
The four pets of the main characters. Tenshin belongs to Meirin, Nanao to Tokiwa, Cynthia to Banri, and Takoyaki to Eddy. Two of them are not actual animals - Nanao is a shikigami that looks like a seven-tailed Kitsune
, and Cynthia is actually a panda doll.
Meirin's father. He works as a television feng-shui master, but the mysterious Dr. Rin puts him to shame and is his Arch-Enemy
- Bumbling Dad
- Chivalrous Pervert: He seems to pay an inordinate amount of attention to his female fans while he's already married.
- Not-So-Phony Psychic: He has a show on TV, but he has a bad tendency to goof up the predictions, leaving an opening for Dr. Rin to eat into his business.
A somewhat weird old guy who provides some background about the legacies of of the hakke crystal and the feng shui board.
Meirin's big brother. Generally a decent guy who provides her with some advice. He's actually the King of Darkness. He's also not really Meirin's brother. He simply tricked the family in order to get close to Meirin