Characters: Arashi No Yoru Ni
This page is for the characters from the 2005 film adaptation.Note: For the page about the characters from the CGI series which differs from the manga and feature film counterparts, see this page.
open/close all folders
Voiced By Hiroki NarimiyaA goat from the Sawasawa Mountains. While the gender is unmentioned in the original books, Mei is depicted as a male goat in the film.
- Agony of the Feet: When him and Gabu are hiding from the wolves, Beach accidentally steps on Mei's foot, and Gabu quickly puts his paw over Mei's mouth to shush him so they won't be heard.
- Ambiguous Gender: In the books; the film makes him male.
- Beast and Beauty: The Beauty to Gabu.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: A rare male example, but throughout the movie, Mei never really suffers any injuries and his fur never got dirty. He was almost a Pollyanna, at least until near the end.
- Break the Cutie: Twice. Poor, poor Mei, while he and Gabu are crossing the treacherous mountain, they both run into a nasty blizzard. Mei and Gabu find shelter in a cave and Mei solemnly tells Gabu that he won't make it and Gabu should eat him for survival. Seeing Mei become so serious and somber after being cheerful throughout the movie just hits hard. Later, he breaks again, in the cave that Gabu drags him into after Gabu lost his memory, Mei desperately tries to convince Gabu to remember him. Mei tearing up when Gabu yells at him and tells Mei that he will eat him no matter what is heartbreaking.
- Disappeared Dad: Mei's dad is never seen nor mentioned throughout the entire film.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Interspecies Romantic Friendship: With Gabu.
- The animated series changes his gender and makes the relationship more overtly romantic.
- Fear Of Lightning: In fact, it's how he and Gabu first met when they both took refuge in a barn during a thunderstorm.
- Friendly Enemy
- Forbidden Friendship
- Little Guy, Big Buddy: The Little Guy to Gabu, especially since he is pretty clumsy.
- Messy Hair: And it's adorable, just look at the picture!
- Morality Pet: To Gabu, if it wasn't for him, Gabu would have still been hunting goats. And after Mei meets him, Gabu refuses to eat any goats throughout the entire film, even when Mei himself tells Gabu to eat him. However, the scene where Gabu has lost his memory made Mei seem like a Morality Chain. Because it seemed like Gabu thought that Mei died on the mountain, and reverted to his old goat-hunting ways since Mei is the one who kept him from eating goats.
- Nice Guy: The cutest and sweetest goat you can meet!
- Not So Different: From Gabu, turns out that both their mothers died when they were young and gave them similar advice.
- Odd Friendship
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive Guy to Gabu.
- Tender Tears
- The Cutie
- The Pollyanna: For most of the movie at least, despite all the hardships him and Gabu went through, he never seemed to lose his cheery, positive attitude. After nearly drowning, realizing his friend was a wolf, being sent away from his grandma and friends with whom he's lived with his whole life, and starving in a blizzard. That was, until he nearly died in the ice cave and when he was abused and about to be eaten up by Gabu himself.
- You Can't Go Home Again: The fate he and Gabu suffer when their groups find out that they've been hanging out.
Voiced By Shōzō Hayashiya IXAn overweight goat who acts as an elder brother figure to Mei.
- Bullying a Dragon: Accidentally. While Gabu was in the bushes right in front of him, Mei, and Mii, Tap began to insult wolves. After Gabu howled, Tap boasted about how he could take on any wolf and then accidentally kicked Gabu in the head. Then, Gabu leaped out of the bushes and scared off him and Mii.
- Lovable Coward
Voiced By Maya KobayashiA pink-colored goat and a friend of Mei. She does not appear in the book series.
Elder Goat (Chōro)
Voiced By Eiji BandōThe leader of the goats of the Sawasawa Mountains.
- Incurable Cough of Death: Subverted. He was still alive at his last appearance before Mei and Gabu ran away.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: And in abstract, his objection to Mei befriending a wolf is reasonable in context — if the wolf is not absolutely trustworthy to all the goats, it's a grim threat to their survival.
Voiced By Etsuko IchiharaShe raised Mei after his mother was killed, and is later shocked when Mei befriends Gabu. She does not appear in the book series.
Mei's MotherAttempted to save Mei from a group of wolves when he was a child, managing to bite off Giro's ear before being eaten. Though she is mentioned, she does not physically appear in the book series.
Voiced by Shidō Nakamura IIA wolf from the Bakubaku Valley.
- Beast and Beauty: The Beast to Mei.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's a wolf after all, and even a Noble Wolf will rip the throat out of a threat.
- Break the Cutie: Twice. Just like Mei; poor, poor Gabu. After he survives the waterfall, he desperately calls out for Mei. Assuming he's dead, Gabu blames himself and breaks down crying. Later, he breaks again, in the snow cave, when him and Mei were starving to death. Mei wanted to offer himself as a sacrifice to Gabu, so that he could make it through the treacherous mountain. Gabu breaks down hard, overwhelmed by tears, he curses his life and wishes he was never born a wolf.
- Cranial Eruption: Gets one on the forehead after being kicked by Tap.
- Clifftop Caterwauling
- Disappeared Dad: He was never seen in Gabu's flashbacks. However, Giro said that Gabu's father was his best friend, but it's never stated what happened to him.
- Interspecies Romantic Friendship: With Mei.
- Fear Of Lightning: In fact, it's how he and Mei first met when they both took refuge in a barn during a thunderstorm.
- Forbidden Friendship
- Friendly Enemy
- Green Eyes
- Gentle Giant
- Growling Gut: Played for Drama, Gabu desperately fights his hunger while Mei offers himself as a meal to Gabu. Gabu breaks down crying from being overwhelmed by starvation and can't stand the thought of eating his own best friend.
- Howling to the Night
- Knight in Shining Armor: Never hesitates to help Mei when he is in distress.
- Little Guy, Big Buddy: The Big Buddy to Mei
- Lovable Coward: In spades when he was a pup in his flashback!
- Nice Guy: One of the nicest wolves you could meet. He is the sweetest and kindest of his pack and, surprisingly, for a wolf, managed to refuse to eat Mei because he values friendship more.
- Noble Wolf: A wolf that places greater importance on friendship than food.
- No Sense of Personal Space: When he tries to nibble sleeping Mei's ear.
- Not So Different: From Mei, turns out that both their mothers died when they were young and gave them similar advice.
- Odd Friendship
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: As a puppy.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Mei, though not so manly. He is stronger and more arrogant than Mei though.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In the Italian dub (which also happens to be the only official one in the West) his name is changed to Gav. Considering how Japanese transliteration works, both versions are technically correct.
- Tender Tears
- Took a Level in Badass: After runnning away from the wolves to the point where both him and Mei are starving to death, he decides that he's had enough. He finally gets over his fear of jumping off of cliffs and jumps down hundreds of feet, ready to kick some ass. Doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Temporarily, after Gabu's fight with the wolves, the avalanche gave him amnesia and he didn't know who Mei or even who he was. He only saw Mei as a delicious treat and abused him until Mei tells him that they met "One Stormy Night."
- You Can't Go Home Again: The fate he and Mei suffer when their groups find out that they've been hanging out.
Voiced By Riki TakeuchiThe boss of the Bakubaku Valley wolves and a friend of Gabu's father.
- Big Bad
- Ear Ache: At the very beginning of the film, Giro gets his ear bitten off by Mei's mother.
- Ear Notch
- Scars Are Forever
- Surrounded by Idiots: He is pretty much the Scar of this film and his pack are the hyenas.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show
Voiced By Kōichi YamaderaA red-haired wolf and Giro's right-hand man.
Beach and Zack
Voiced By Tetsuya Yanagihara and Yoshiyuki HiraiA pair of twin wolves.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Zack gets distracted from the task at hand by pointing out a pretty flower.
- Beware the Silly Ones: They looked incompetent since they couldn't notice that Gabu and Mei were in the bushes in right front of them. That is until, they actually heard Gabu and saw his ears poking out of the bushes, and called out to all the other wolves. Cue Chase Scene.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Zack, especially since he is always seen smiling with his tongue out.
- Eyepatch of Power: For Beach
- Scars Are Forever: Even in Gabu's flashback when they were all pups, Beach still had the exact same eyepatch on.
- Fat and Skinny: Beach is fat and Zack is skinny.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Zack is foolish, Beach is responsible.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Zack could be this, due to his ditzy attitude and love for flowers.
- Man Child: Zack
- Punch Clock Villains: They look nice enough, they are never seen angry or serious when they are sent to find Gabu so that he can be executed. They are just doing it likely because they will possibly be killed if they don't succeed in finding Gabu.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Zack is red and Beach is blue, because Zack is quirky and energetic, while Beach is calm and collected.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Zack is the Sensitive Guy, because he is innocent, cheerful and has a childlike voice. Beach is the Manly Man because he is bigger, tougher and has a deeper voice. When Zack and Beach were searching for Gabu, Zack pointed out a beautiful flower and showed his sensitive side by saying how pretty it was and promised not to step on it when Beach told him to.
- Sibling Yin-Yang
- Those Two Guys: They are never seen apart in any scene.
Voiced By Yū HayamiOnly seen briefly in Gabu's flashback.