Characters: Anatolia Story
Characters from the manga Anatolia Story
open/close all folders
Characters from our time
Yuri Suzuki aka Yuri Ishtar
- Action Survivor: Despite relaying more on her wits and her kind heart than on physical fighting, Yuri learns swordmanship and bowship, and not to mention she's already rather agile due to having been a promising gymnast in Japan. This is sealed when she's named Commander-in-Chief of the military.
- Glass Cannon: Yuri is a pretty good fighter when she has her sword and her Cool Horse. When an enemy actually gets a hold of her though, she has a hard time fighting them off. Given that Yuri is of small stature and has only started her proper trainign recently, and for worse is usually up against taller and more muscular opponents who have been training for much longer, it makes sense.
- All-Loving Hero: She manages to be both this and Guile Hero, as her kindness and pluck gains her many devoted followers.
- Bifauxnen: A result of her tendency to wear the clothing of young boys, as well as her being skinnier and more flat-chested than the average Hitite girl.
- Big Sister Instinct: Towards her first friend in Hattusa, the servant boy Tito. She does NOT take it well when Queen Nakia tries to use the poor kid as a her pawn. And even less when Tito is first slated for execution for trying to kill her while Brainwashed and Crazy, and later when he's murdered in a really cruel manner.
- Guile Hero: Is very good at outwitting nearly every opponent she comes up against.
- Hollywood Homely: In-universe example. She goes from being considered very pretty by modern-day Japanese standards to being ridiculed for being small, plain, and not as voluptuous as is considered fashionable among Hitites.
- Hot Consort: She must pose as Kail's concubine and later becomes his legal wife.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Kail can easily pick her up and carry her around.
- I Choose to Stay
- Nice to the Waiter: Yuri usually surprises others by how kind she is to her servants. She views her maids as her best friends and trusts them with everything. When she stays in Egypt temporarily, the other maids are shocked that she doesn't demand one of them be whipped or starved for spilling water on her dress.
- Plucky Girl
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When she does put on more girlish clothes... wow.
- Shipper on Deck: She ships both Kash/Ursula and Ryuhi/Kikkuri/Shala.
- Tomboy: Generally feels more comfortable dressing in boy clothing, which leads most to believe she's actually a very young boy.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She still has some pretty romantic views of love and marriage that she carried over from modern times, which she isn't shy about sharing with other female characters (for instance, telling Princess Alexandra that she shouldn't be with any man she doesn't love).
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: When the jealous prospect brides put scorpions in her bed the night when Kail was going to sleep in her room, Yuri get really fucking pissed off and angrily storms in the room they're in, shouting that they can treat her in any way they want but they better not endanger Kail.
The Suzuki family (Mr. and Mrs. Suzuki, Mari Suzuki, Eimi Suzuki)
The Royal Family of Hattusa
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Blow You Away: Has wind powers that he inherited from his Missing Mom Henti.
- Handsome Lech: His first appearance in the series has him hide Yuri by pretending to be passionately kissing her. When the guards leave, he offers to continue for real, because the girl he was supposed to be meeting never showed up.
- Ladykiller in Love: Later, in his own way.
- Looking For Lovein All The Wrong Places: He's has had many relationships with women, however none have been long-lasting. He has vowed to only take one legal wife, and since he's all but assured to be the next king, he wants to make sure that said wife has the goodness, intelligence, and inner strength to handle holding the second-most powerful position in the kingdom. At one point, Princess Guzel tells Yuri that Kail never actually fell asleep with any of the women he was with, Guzel herself included, implicitly because he wasn't able to let down his guard enough. Therefore, the fact that Kail is willing to sleep with Yuri in both senses (as in, having sex with her and spending the night in her room) is very telling.
- Nice to the Waiter: He handpicks servants who prove themselves to be loyal, and more or less considers them his closest friends.
- Reasonable Authority Figure - Royals Who Actually Do Something: Notable as one of few rules who gives a damn about what happens to his subjects.
- Big Bad
- Blood Magic: Intends to sacrifice Yuri and use her blood to cast a spell, ensuring that Kail will die and Juda will become king. Yuri's mere presence becomes a huge drawback to her plans.
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- Hot Witch
- Making a Splash: She has control over water.
- Magnificent Bitch: Very smart, very manipulative, very skilled in magic, and a fearsome foe for Kail and specially Yuri. However, she actually...
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: In her backstory. She was forced by her father to marry the king of the empire that ruined her homeland of Babylonia (and who was old enough to be her own father), and was left lonely and homesick in a strange land, while her husband was more interested in the wives he already had. But after a few years, the scared teenage girl grew into the Big Bad.
- Wicked Stepmother: Trying to kill her stepsons so her own son will become King.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Due to her aforementioned past, she can be seen as such.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Itou (CD Drama)
- Inadequate Inheritor: While not exactly an idiot, Arnuwanda is not in physical condition to reign so his full-brother Kail and half-brother Zannanza have to help him. When he does becomes the King, he appoints Kail as his heir as he still has no children of his own.
- Sacrificial Lion: His murder is commited by Urhi, but Yuri gets blamed. Ursula then willingly takes the blame to save Yuri, and is executed in her place.
Prince Juda Haspasrupi
- Adorably Precocious Child: Despite being 14, he's so cute that he pulls this very well.
- He Is All Grown Up: One of the illustrations in the last volume shows his adult self... wooooooow.
- Break the Cutie: The poor kid really gets dragged through a lot of crap, thanks to his mom's plans.
- Calling The Hot Mom Out : A truly massive one, after Rusafa's death. Juda breaks down and tries to kill Nakia right there, and when he's stopped he publically calls her out on her bullshit, then renounces to his own right to the throne.
- Cheerful Child: Most of the time.
- Kid-anova: Already has a wife and at least two concubines at age 14. Few later, he marries Alexandra.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: As Nakia loses power, people begin to gossip more and more openly about how they think he's Urhi's son with her. The fact that Juda and Urhi have exactly the same hair color and that Urhi is the person closest to Nakia really don't help matters. It turns out he really is the king's legitimate son, since Urhi's a eunuch who was castrated before coming to the Empire.
- Modest Royalty: He's a really sweet kid and doesn't want to reign, aspiring to be his beloved half-brother Kail's Number Two.
- Unwitting Pawn: More than once, but in a subversion he plays the role mostly when brainwashed by his own mom.
Prince Rois Telipinu
Princess Nepis Ilra
The Royal Family's entourage
- Action Girl: A quite skilled archer.
- Berserk Button: In Kikkuri's Missing Days, we see it's not a good idea to refer to her as a "court lady".
- Big Sister Instinct: Upon finding out that Kikuri has been romantically/sexually involved with both of her sisters, to the point of getting one pregnant (and later the other), she coolly tells him that he'd better set about looking after both the twins.
- Also, when Yuri screamed Hadi's name when Kail was about to rape her, Hadi swallowed her fears and went to help her, managing to get to Kail's head so he would stop. To put it on perspective: Hadi could have been seriously punished, if not executed, for standing up to one of the highest-ranked members of the Hitite royalty, but she managed to set her well-justified fright aside and protected Yuri when she needed it.
- Cool Big Sis: To Yuri and her own little sisters.
- Maid And Maiden: The Maid to Yuri's Maiden.
- Plucky Girl
- Revenge - You Killed Our Brother: She and the twins initially were angry at Yuri as they blamed her for Tito's death. (The fact that Urhi egged them on didn't help.) When the real killer is revealed, the three girls pledge themselves to Yuri instead.
Ryuhi and Shala
Voiced by: Haruki Sayama (CD Drama)
- Guile Hero: He's very good at outwitting his opponents. To the point where he manages to capture Urhi, preserve vital evidence to dethroning Nakia, and free Juda from the Black Water mind control, all in one fell swoop and with some planning.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Shipper on Deck: Another Yuri/Kail fan.
- The Smart Guy: He's well aware that he's better off using his brains to serve Kail, rather than physical weapons.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Several times to Kail, most notably when Kail is seriously considering riding to save Yuri from Nakia's forces (which, since Yuri was under suspicion of assassinating the king, would lead to Kail getting in trouble and possibly ruining his chances at being the great king he dreamed of), Illbani threatens to slit his own throat. His reasoning is that he has served Kail faithfully, wanting desperately to see Kail fulfill his dream of making the empire great. If Kail will throw that all away, he has no reason to live.
- This is generally his reaction after Kail freaks out on the idea of Yuri going back to Japan and tries to rape her.
- Body Double: Sorta, as she's introduced as a "false Ishtar" by Nakia.
- Face Death with Dignity: As she's in the gallows, Ursula keeps her cool even when Ryuhi and Shala are desperately attempting to stop her execution. She then thinks of Yuri and the future of the Empire, and calmly tells her executioner that she's ready to die. And she is.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Willingly goes Taking the Heat so Yuri won't be unfairly executed for the murder of King Arnuwanda.
- Gold Digger: At first. She is happy to pose as a Rich Bitch to ruin Yuri's reputation, and tries to seduce Kail to ensure a lifetime of luxury. But when she fails and Kail asks asks why she bothered, even though it should have been obvious the whole plan was doomed to failure, Ursula breaks down and tells him her Dark and Troubled Past: her entire family died of The Plague and, after having been so hungry and poor her whole life, she was desperate to live as nobility, even for a small while.
- Lady-In-Waiting: Yuri takes her in as one of these.
- Plucky Girl: When push comes to shove, Ursula shows noticeable bravery. Enough to give her life away to help Yuri without hesitation.
- Rapunzel Hair in Girlish Pigtails: Ot at least a single one.
- Important Haircut: Right before being hanged, Ursula takes Kash's dagger and cuts her hair to give it to Kash. It becomes a Tragic Keepsake as he keeps a long braid made of it after she dies.
- Shipper on Deck: Once Ursula becomes Yuri's companion, she ships her with Kail hard. To the point of beating up Kash when he cracks jokes about Kail and Guzel.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She and Kash.
- Silent Scapegoat.
- What Could Have Been: In-universe, when she's about to be executed, she tells Kash about how they might have gotten married and had a family together, like she'd hoped. In this way, Ursula manages to tell Kash how much she loves him before refusing to escape with him; Kash accepts this and they share a Last Kiss as well as a Tragic Keepsake giving.
Voiced by: Shigeru Shibuya and Masaya Takatsuka (CD Drama)
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- All Love Is Unrequited: He's in love with Yuri. Hathor Nefert likes him and flat-out begs him to marry her, even saying that she doesn't care if he continues to love Yuri in a hero-worship way, if he'll love her as a mortal woman. Nothing still can come of it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Takes a knife In the Back from Nakia to keep her from sending Yuri away in space and time as her last resort.
- Subordinate Excuse: Towards Yuri.
- What Could Have Been: The last volume of the series has a drawing of him and Nefert and two children, hinting at a future they might have had if he hadn't been killed.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Ursula.
- Tragic Keepsake: Before her execution, Ursula gives Kash a braid of her hair. He uses it as a headband until Ursula is exonerated post-mortem.
- Old Soldier: Compared with the people in his surroundings.
- Na´ve Newcomer
- The Mole: Leaked vital info about the military to Nakia, who then sent it to the Egyptians.
- Driven by Envy: He did it because he was promised a promotion, which he wanted badly due to resenting his companion Shubas's faster prowess.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Yuri makes it very clear that she doesn't return Ramses's affections. That doesn't stop him from trying to forcibly take her back to Egypt with him, though.
: [as he lays atop of a half-naked Yuri at some point and right before Kail pulls a Big Damn Heroes
]: "Remember, I must have whatever I want".
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Ramses makes it clear that he's loyal to Egypt, and has very little respect for the politicians and aristocrats who waste their time on luxury, while the country goes downhill. He also becomes very angry when he finds out that some unknown Egyptian aristocrat has been learning secrets about the Hittite military and keeping them to him or herself, and thus preventing the Pharaoh from acting on said secrets.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Towards Kail.
Princess Hathor Nefert
- Arranged Marriage: After the death of her husband Tuthankhamen she was supposed to marry a Hitite prince, but the deal fell off. She later has to marry the much older Ay.
- Brother-Sister Incest: She and her brother Mattiwaza were lovers when they were younger.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: When Yuri confronts her, she tries to bring Nefertiti to her senses by showing her the earring she gave to her brother as a keepsake, many years ago. Nefertiti has no clue what it is, until Yuri tells her of its significance.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: A good many comparisons are draw between her and Queen Nakia, especially near the end of the series.
- Historical In-Joke: At the end of her story arc, an artist sculpting a bust of her tries to think of a material that could best be used to do justice to her eyes. Nefertiti gives him a black onyx earring to use, but only has one. Thus, he's only able to finish one of the eyes. When he laments that the bust will be incomplete, she tells him not to worry because she highly doubts anyone would bother looking at such a thing. The bust, naturally, is one of the most famous artifacts from Egypt, and the manga tells how people in modern times still have no idea why one of the eyes was incomplete.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: According to Mattiwaza.
Voiced by: Miyuki Ishizuka (CD Drama)
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Is introduced claiming that Kail is the father of her child, whom she named Kail as well. While Guzel was one of Kail's lovers, he is sure that he can't be the kid's dad since they haven't had sex in a long time... It turns out the whole thing is a plot orchestrated by Nakia, and involves brainwashing Guzel into lying about her child's parentage. When Kail releases her from the brainwashing, Guzel freely tells that her child's father was actually a traveling minstrel.
- The Ojou
Voiced by: Shouko Kikuchi (CD Drama)
- Genki Girl: Except for her first appearance, she's almost always happy and energetic.
- Made a Slave: Averted. She's the princess of the Arzawa lands; when her mother the Queen was told how a "young boy" had been conquering their towns left and right, Alexandra snuck out and offered herself to "serve" Yuri (implicitely in a sexual manner), genuinely but very misguidedly hoping to help her mom and people. Naturally, Yuri had no intention of keeping her for such a reason, and decided to make her one of her ladies-in-waiting instead.
- The Ojou
- Plucky Girl
- Puppy Love: Subverted - she and Juda do get together, but only after they stop being young enough to fit the trope.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Aspires to be this, wishing at one point that she could join Yuri on the battle field. Ilbani tells her that, Yuri aside, princesses shouldn't go to war. He then goes to prove, via a very clever ploy that resolves three significant plot threads, that anyone can be helpful without having to swing a sword.
- She Is All Grown Up: Her older self and an adult!Juda show up in an illustration. And damn, adult!Alexandra is gorgeous.