open/close all folders
Tropes related to UPEO itself:
- Paper Tiger: Lampshaded by Keith in the eponymous early-game mission. The UPEO may have a pretty awesome name and duty, as it represents peacekeeping for the entire world, but it is so woefully under-equipped that it has to receive "gifts" of military hardware from both sides just to stay competent, helpfully illustrated by the suffix "U" after the jets' names (eg, F-16XFU is basically General Resource's own F-16XF with a UPEO green paintjob, ditto R-101U from Neucom). The kicker? The donated equipment are as bog-standard bottom-shelf jets as they come. A hacked video feed even lampshades this ruthlessly.Person A: Are these R-Numbers? They've got UPEO markings on it.
Person B: Well, there goes their so-called "neutrality".
"Nemo"The Player Character, who begins as a new pilot of SARF and quickly become known as an ace. Actually an AI created by Simon Orestes Cohen, with the goal of erasing Abyssal Dision.
Tropes associated with Nemo:
- Ace Pilot: Already called "SARF's ace" by the fourth mission.
- Featureless Protagonist: To an extreme. It's even lampshaded in-game:Rena: Where did you come from?
- Of course, it's justified because he's just an AI program running a simulation.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: He's never actually referred to by name in dialogue because he can be renamed; his official name is the default option.
- Heroic Mime: An odd case. People seem to act as if Nemo is in correspondence with them, though Nemo never says a word. Justified, as it's a simulation, so he's just simulating the response.
- Meaningful Name: "Nemo" literally means "No One". Considering that you're a Featureless Protagonist joining whatever faction he pleases, that makes a LOT of sense. And then there's the Tomato in the Mirror reveal...
- Spanner in the Works: Specifically, Dision's plan to groom Rena to pilot the massively overpowered X-49 Night Raven. After repeated contacts with Nemo, Rena becomes more determined to find her real memories. This proves crucial later on as she betrays Dision.
- Tomato in the Mirror: The Omega Ending. You're an AI. The various branching story paths are all a simulation run repeatedly by Simon to see if it's possible for you to kill Dision - and since all five endings include him dying at your hands, Simon releases you into the Electrosphere to make one of the routes reality.
- Weapon of Choice: Nemo starts out with an EF-2000 Typhoon, but cover art depicts him with the Su-37 Super Flanker.
- Wild Card: Joining whatever faction he pleases, and leading whichever one he does to victory.
- Age: 24
Voiced by: Soichiro HoshiA pilot for UPEO, hoping to keep peace for all.
"If we are able to protect this world through the peaceful solutions Clarkson always talks about, UPEO would have no need of General."
Tropes associated with Erich Jager:
- True Companions: With Nemo in the UPEO route.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Assuming you do not take the UPEO route, he sort of "disappears" during the late stages of the game. If you are following the General Resource route though, you have the option of shooting him down, which does explain his absence. Otherwise...not so much.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Erich calls Rena out for shooting down one of their own allies for suspicions of treason.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Erich firmly believes in him protecting peace with UPEO. He's quite attuned to everything though, and when he has been used as a pawn too far, he flies with you and initiates a two-plane rebellion.
Fiona Chris Fitzgerald
- Age: 24
Voiced by: Kumiko WatanabeA UPEO and later Neucom, if not killed pilot.
"Well, simply put, things are looking pretty dicey in the clouds. Later!"
Tropes associated with Fiona:
- The Chew Toy / Cosmic Plaything: She is pretty much the most ill-fated non-villain character in the game, as she gets killed in all but one ending, and unlike Rena's, it's a Downer Ending that leaves her broken and crying.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Fiona is, at the very least, destroyer of insane AIs that corrupted her sister.
- Age: 19
Voiced by: Yuri ShiratoriThe great ace of UPEO. She has Silverstone Disease, a disease that prevents her from being exposed to sunlight for fear of death.
"[T]he body doesnít have wings, but the wings of my mind give me the sky. And as it is, I want every mind to turn into wings."
Tropes associated with Rena Hirose:
- Ace Custom: Her plane has a customized paintjob. Justified, as she is an Ill Girl and requires special equipment just to fly.
- Ace Pilot: Through and through.
- Badass Normal: Kinda. Of the three superfighter pilots in the game, she is the only one with a body of flesh and bone.
- This is ultimately zig zagged. Rena is indeed the only flesh and bone pilot between you and AI!Dision; On the other hand, Rena later pilots the X49 Night Raven, a Super Prototype "aircraft" with a laser cannon than can mow down aircraft with one or two shots and even sinks Megafloat.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She seems to go off on her own whenever she is flying with you and sends you various video messages. Apparently Dision has been messing with her mind.
- Expy: She looks like a younger Motoko Kusanagi. Justified, as the animation sequences of the game were produced by Production I.G, the ones who worked on the animated adaptations of the manga.
- Final Boss: In some routes.
- Graceful in Their Element: Borderline example due to sun allergies.
- Ill Girl: She became a General Resource pilot to be able to go outside.
- Laser-Guided Tykebomb: Specifically to pilot the incredibly overpowered X-49 Night Raven. While Real!Dision did not intend to make her into one, AI!Dision does
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: An interview with her at a young age accidentally revealed General Resource's Night Raven project to the world, which multiple people immediately protested due to involving such a young girl. This lead to them shutting down the project by killing everyone involved other than Rena - including Yoko, setting off both the AI Dision and Simon on their own paths to revenge, ultimately leading to the current situation.
Chairman Gabriel Clarkson
- Age: 56
Voiced by: Hiroshi ItoThe main peacekeeper, spokesman and chairman of UPEO.
Commentator: "Yes... you could say that leaders like UPEO Representative Clarkson are politician types from an age long gone. Since the USEA's unification by General Resource, in this age where the power of economics has exterminated government and law, his actions, to me are... well, I can only describe them as anachronistic."
Tropes associated with Clarkson:
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: See the above quote.
Commander Gilbert Park
- Age: 48
Voiced by: MugihitoThe commander of forces in UPEO.
Erich: "I donít know what you intend to do, but if you wanna keep an interest in flying with UPEO, donít go against Commander Park."
Tropes associated with Commander Park:
- The Chessmaster: This shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, though, considering how fishy he acts in general and the fact that he's playing chess of all things in the Japanese intro video, but other than the dead giveaways, it's supposed to be revealed slowly.
- It's actually a subversion. Dision turns on him, or you kill him yourself, or he simply disappears.
- The Starscream: While Chairman Clarkson is truly committed to pacifying the two Companies, Park has...ambitions of his own.
- Age: 43
Voiced by: Masashi EbaraThe great ace of General Resource.
"Some day, everyone will probably feel the limits of their body. Thatís not a bad thing. But those who have the mental strength to exceed that limit simply need not speak of it."
Tropes associated with Abyssal Dision:
- Ace Pilot: The best, next to the player. The player is, after all, a superior AI.
- Ambiguously Evil: Second mission he's featured, and he's trying to get you to join his Company faction. No one knows if he's aligned fully with GR, aiding UPEO's chessmaster Park, or is all about himself. In the end, it's neither; he only wants revenge for his then girlfriend Yoko.
- Brain Uploading
- The Chessmaster: Not only did he try engineering you to join GR, he's also the head of Ouroboros, assists Park with his scheme to usurp control of UPEO, offs his own company's CEO, and basically grooms Rena to be the perfect Tykebomb.
- Dead All Along: Shortly before her death, Yoko Inoue copied Human!Dision's consciousness into the Electrosphere, creating the self-aware AI!Dision, the first ever human to be Sublimed. Before she realized it, however, she and Human!Dision were killed by a bomb and their laboratory destroyed along with their research.
- ‹bermensch: The Dision you meet is actually an electronic AI copy of a flesh-and-blood Dision; this AI wants humanity to progress to an electronic form as he has, all while the Corporate War is heating up and he (it?) plays a part. Ultimately subverted, in that his ultimate goal is not to "advance the human race", but rather of Revenge against the companies who killed his flesh-and-blood counterpart's girlfriend, Yoko.
- Age: 35
Voiced by: Daiki NakamuraDision's wingmate.
"Yo buddy. Not there again? Ah, whatever. Great job this time. No seriously, we were a good duo."
Tropes associated with Keith Bryan:
- True Companions: He starts to salute you at the end of his video messages if you save him from troubles.
- Taking You with Me: If the player sides with Ouroboros, Keith joins you, and attacks Dision and Rena. After he takes enough damage, he gets his plane stuck between the wings of Rena's Night Raven; when you shoot him down, Rena goes down too.
Yoko Martha Inoue
- Age: 30 (deceased)
Voiced by: Sakiko TamagawaA General Resource scientist, who invented Sublimation and thus brought about the Electrosphere.
Tropes associated with Yoko Inoue:
Cynthia Bridgitte Fitzgerald
- Age: 29
Voiced by: Maria KawamuraNeucom's ace pilot. Later joins Ouroboros to see the Electrosphere.
(after pushing Fiona out of the way) "I'm impatient."
Tropes associated with Cynthia:
- Always Someone Better: For Fiona. To her, Rena.
- The Atoner: After her sister got offed by the organization she defected to, she performs a HeelĖFace Turn from Ouroboros and singlehandedly (with you, of course) reversed the entire mess she has gotten into. It's even written in one of the mission name: Counterrevolution.
- Brain Uploading
- The Dog Bites Back: To Dision, for his lack of respect, propaganda, and doting on Rena.
- Fantastic Rank System: Cynthia's introduction video has her state that she is Neucom Emergency Unit's "Chief Consulting Pilot". It probably makes sense considering the Mega Corp. nature of the setting, but still...
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: For the entire concept of Sublimation and how it will supposedly elevate humanity. When it turns out Dision doesn't share her views at all, hates being an AI and is in on all of this just for self-serving revenge, well, it doesn't end well for him.
Simon Orestes Cohen
- Age: 40
Voiced by: Ryusei Nakao-A great scientist of Neucom. Created Nemo.
"In regards to your work so far, Iím honestly impressedóabout which, is the general idea."