Characters: A Somnolent Penumbra
open/close all folders
A boy from America who was invited after his tattoo shop got recognition for a marathon day they did to support a charity. He's full danish but was born in Seattle, Washington and is an identical twin. He used to also be a lifeguard and has said to have 8 best friends, though, one of them is a little rocky. He lived in the same town with Suguri and was confirmed to have dated her brother in the past, linking them together.
- The Charmer: He's quite charismatic and makes it his personal goal to make sure everyone is comfortable around him. He can be seen as a flirt in some aspects, but it's all to be further liked.
- Prince Charming: Though he won't bring it up or mention it, in his old town he had sort of a knack for getting the girls he took interest in to form crushes on him with his suave talking and smooth attitude. He can be described as prince like.
- Closet Geek: Despite how cool and collected he likes to seem, if you asked him anything about his main interests, you'll find out he likes a lot of dorkier things like Naruto or Escape Artists.
- Lack of Empathy: He isn't good at feeling what others feel. His whole motto is "Don't get involved unless it directly involves you." Which is quite insensitive and causes a lot of negative feelings towards him.
- Pastimes Prove Personality: As an artist, he's extremely colorful and creative. He has that type of "Art Student" aura to him.
- The Leader: Despite his previous intentions or sayings that he is strictly a follower and doesn't have the capacity to lead, hes taken it upon himself to take actions of a leader and decide on a game plan.
A boy from Chiyoda, Tokyo who was invited after he successfully managed to pinpoint the culprit of a serial murder case. He lives with his mother since his father left him before he was born, which was what pushed to become a Psychologist so he could find out why he left his mother. He hopes he can have some new experiences at convention and maybe make some friends as well.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: By the bridge.
- Ambiguously Bi: He claims to be an asexual, but he kind of hints towards being bisexual
- Bare Your Midriff: His sprites shows that he exposes his midriff
- Berserk Button: He takes discrimination very personally. If someone is discriminate in front of him he tends to immediately want nothing to do with that person any more and gives them a massive rage-induced scolding.
- Bonding Over Missing Parents: He and Ramona were both abandoned by at least one parent. They both also resolve to try and find them when they get out of the mansion.
- Book Worm: He reads a lot of books, especially ones on Psychology
- Calling the Old Man Out: Sort of. When Gyger goes into the water in the Generator Room and gets dragged under, and everyone assumes he died alongside Hiro, only to show up later unscathed and not caring about what happened to him. Shuichi decides he isn't having any of it.
- Friendless Background: He didn't really choose to have sentimental relationships with anybody except his mother, and instead focused his time on improving on his talent.
- It's All My Fault: He feels that he's to blame for his father leaving his mother. He says he's not bothered by it, but he still feels responsible for it and it sometimes gets to him.
- Number Two: In the beginning, he had no interest in leading the team in any way, but eventually takes it upon himself to be the second in command for Team Somnolent Penumbra.
- Parental Abandonment: His father left his mother at birth, and left them with little to go off of.
- Sexy Spectacles
He is Italian from birth and lived in the UK for most of his life. He did nothing else in his life than science and science.
A boy from Paris, France who was invited for being known so well as the youngest person to be able to play every single accordion spectacularly. He comes from a musical family, his father as a composer and his mother a pianist and violinist. He accepts the invite to the convention to meet similarly talented people, maybe making a few friends along the way.
- Beneath the Mask: At first, he may seem cold, harsh and insensitive but after getting to know him, he'll eventually warm up to others.
- Beauty Mark
- Book Dumb: He missed out on all of the important school subjects due to his passion for his career.
- Character Tics: Brushing a hand through his hair, usually in distress or anger. Sometimes does so when thinking.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Well, according to him and his French blood. Also fits in with Pretty Boy.
- Foreign Cuss Word: More specifically, in French, if you provoke him enough.
- Hates Being Touched: Unless you ask permission, of course.
- I Can't Dance: He doesn't know how to dance and doesn't want to.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Most of his hobbies could be considered feminine.
- No Social Skills: Focusing a tad too much on his performances, he's never had enough time to make any close friends. All of his previous ones have left him because of his attitude. He's always on the look out for friends, it's just very hard to tell.
- Now Let Me Carry You: Right after the third trial was finished, Absolon whisked Suguri away from everyone's mourning.
- Rage Breaking Point: Will hold back anger because it's unnecessary.
- Super OCD: Obsessed with being clean. His appearance, his room, anything he comes across, they all have to be spotless. If anything is out of place, smudged or even only slightly dusty, he's more than willing to fix it. Everything has to be perfect. Also fits in with The Perfectionist and Neat Freak.
- What an Idiot: His common sense isn't exactly the most logical. Also fits in with Insane Troll Logic.
- In the first trial, Absolon swore that the victim got stabbed. Of course, the body being hanged with rope didn't help with his statement at all.
- During the third trial, Absolon got slapped by Ramona. The only thing he cared about was that she didn't even ask for permission. He bet that she didn't wash her hands.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Not evil but cold-hearted.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: In the third trial, Ramona slapped him across the face for badmouthing Skye. He would have hit her back but that wouldn't be very gentlemanly of him.
Video Game Developer
Hailing from England, Skye developed his talent by first studying and editing old games before beginning to make his own. While he's begun working with larger companies Skye is mainly focused on his solo creations, with his debut game winning an all round award. A laidback guy, Skye went to the convention with the intention of putting himself out in the world a bit more and finding a healthy mix of new friends.
- All My Fault: Believes this about the generator incident.
- Angst? What Angst?: Was orphaned at an early age though doesn't seem too bothered by it, on the grounds that he can barely remember them. He's never said the reason, however. Turns out it was a car accident that five year old Skye was also in, and ended up heavily burnt and with pins in one of his legs. He does angst about the burns somewhat, feeling incredibly self conscious about showing skin.
- Conveniently an Orphan
- Determinator: When he gets properly focused on a task.
- After the first execution he returns to his 'get everyone out alive' idea with more force than before, even saying he'd perform a Heroic Sacrifice if it meant everyone else could go free.
- Disappeared Dad: Twice. His biological father died when Skye was five, and his adoptive father ended up walking out on his new family. Overlaps with Missing Mom, but there's only one case of that; his adoptive mother is still very much present.
- Heroic BSOD: After showing the group the video on his laptop that leads to Hiro and Gyger 'drowning'. He gets hit with this hard, becoming convinced it was all his fault for showing them the video and saying he should have gone himself.
- Heroic Self Depreciation: In spades. Skye honestly doesn't believe that he deserves the friends he has in the hotel, and that he is entirely useless.
- Functional Addict: Calls his vices (cigarettes and energy shots) one of his main likes.
- I'm a Doctor, Not a Placeholder: Really dislikes people making assumptions, particularly people assuming he's a master hacker.
- Interrupted Declaration of Love: When he finally realises his feelings for Stella, this happens several times, from having water poured over him to having a pep talk, working up the courage, finally starting the conversation... only for the group to be informed of the first murder.
- Nothing Is Scarier: One of Skye's fears is, as he puts it, emptiness. Not darkness so much, but rather it being so dark and empty that it gives the illusion it's nothing but him and the void. His other fears are fire, losing his laptop, and... birds.
- Security Blanket: His laptop. When some people debated breaking it to prevent any more strange files coming through, he is absolutely terrified.
- Later admits that his laptop, or rather the games he makes on it, is a heavy method of escape for him, so much so that over the past few years he's honestly preferred his virtual ones to the real one.
- Signature Laugh: 'Aha ha!'
- Strange Salute: A Signature Move of his, Skye often greets people or signs off by pressing his index and middle finger to his temple then snapping them away.
A young man from Siberia who is relatively well known for being the son of a famous ice sculptor who passed away recently. Despite this, not much is known about himself, as he tends to avoid personal questions. According to his interview, he went to a talent convention as an attempt to make friends with others with talents like him.
" Perhaps you all will find yourselves to possess more hope than I, for I started out with nothing in the hopes of finding something. I know rather well that one cannot obtain something when there was nothing to salvage it from."
A prince from the obscure European principality of Pariterre, Ash Fraser is the youngest son to the royal family of six children including himself. He was invited after many matches he had participated (many of which he had won surprisingly quickly) in have been televised. The prince has superb talent for being an extremely tricky and unpredictable player.
- Antiquated Linguistics: While not extreme, he definitely speaks more formally than he probably should in casual conversations.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Although he does not outright display it, he is actually quite physically capable, though it is known he is quite athletic. He’s a jack-of-all stats. This trait turned out to be a major aid in pinning him down as Akumura's murderer.
- Captain's Log: In the form of a diary, survivors can discover more information from Ash's point of view about how he felt and more notably his reflection on Akumura's murder.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Overlaps with Death by Irony. Not only did it mock his talent, but it also mocked the very status that he revolved his life around.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: He is fluent in multiple languages and while he does not excel in any specific field, he hints that he knows substantial information particularly relating to humans.
- Green-Eyed Monster: It's implied that he's this towards his eldest brother. It was also a big reason Akumura was his choice for victim.
Ash: I suppose I am envious of [Akumura] in that aspect. Anywhere he walks, he is bound to grab attention. He is intimidating without trying. He is noticeable without trying. That man is also likely to be powerful. He must go.
- Micro Monarchy: Pariterre is an oddly traditional principality. Much like other small countries under this category, the (recently created) gambling system is infamous around the world and only because of that is the city-state really known.
- My Greatest Failure: He admits his entire murder scheme was a big failure, but was proud of that as well.
Ash: Afterall, if I was capable of accomplishing my dreams of benevolence and pride, then I would have been successful in this murder, would I have not? Alas, I was not. That much is evident. I cannot accomplish much of my dreams if I cannot deceive you all. It is a pity, but it is the truth. My gravest error was hesitance.
- Nice Guy
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Let's say his execution was not a pretty one, nor was it a peacefully quick one.
- Prince Charming: Quite literally too.
- Royal Blood
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Living mostly within the confines of his castle, he has only rarely experienced the outside world.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- We Hardly Knew Ye: His character development was both rushed and hardly there. As a result, not much was really known about him besides the front he put on. However, he turned out to at least have screen time prior to his death.
A girl from Brehmlin, a small principality in central Europe, who was invited for her global fame as a young maestro. She is from a noble family
, though her branch has no real power. It seems to be a sore subject with her.
A girl from London, England who was invited after many years working vigorously within the field of science. suffering from a rocky, rough, and lonely childhood; she used all of her energy and put it into studying a field of broad sciences, eventually being the most interested in crystallography. She lives on her own, but when she can't pay rent is forced to live with her father. She is a very independent lady and prefers to be left alone to do her own thing.
- Friendless Background: As a child, she was usually isolated from the world around her. Nobody was interested in what she was, and nobody bothered including her in any activities.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Since she was used to being lonely as a kid, she had no problem sealing herself off from the world even more for her work.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: She has yellow, amber-colored eyes.
- Being Personal Isn't Professional: As always, she takes her work very seriously, which means there's no 'playing around' when it's time to get down to business. She keeps personal feelings out of work, and even limits her feelings beyond that. This is exemplified in Chapter Two, where Nui Gurumi, the first person there who directly told Amber she had considered her her friend, ended up being the killer. Although she voted correctly, she felt deep emotional turmoil and ended up breaking down over it ever since.
- Pastimes Prove Personality: Though she always comes off to others as rude or dull without meaning to, her pastimes show more about her than she could ever speak in her own words. She's a very gentle, kind indavidual. She just has a problem showing it. Her Diary, "The Thoughts Of A Pariah", is what she had been caught writing in once or twice, however those who caught her writing unknowing of what she was doing.
- Lack of Empathy: Although she tries to be supportive to those she cares for, she has a certain lack of empathy and emotional connection which makes it harder for her to be able to bond and connect with others. She feels for herself, not for others, making her selfish. Her only exception is for her romantic partner, and in this case, Beryll.
- Stupid Scientist: Although she has an upper hand advantage in Physics and Crystallography, anything else is out-there for her. She is just another average 18 year old. What do you mean she should be all-around smart?
A girl born in America, and moved to the opposite side of the country at a very young age due to sudden unfortunate circumstances. Ramona has been through many terrible events in her life, all of which contribute to her immediate jumping to the worst case scenario in bad situations as well as her tendency to panic under any hint of danger. Despite this, she tries her best to stay as happy and friendly and determined as possible, which she's mostly successful in doing.
- Berserk Button: Becomes quite upset when people she cares about are talked about negatively or hurt.
- For example, during the trial in chapter 2, when she lost her temper with Eli because he was talking badly about Nui, even though it had just been discovered that she was the murderer. More severely towards him in chapter 3 when again, he was speaking badly of Nui. Ramona was perhaps even more upset, because at that point Nui was already dead, and it was disrespectful to her memory.
- Also, during the chapter 3 trial, once everyone else had agreed that Skye was the murderer, and Absolon claimed that he couldn't wait for the execution. Ramona, having been very close to Skye, and defended him to the point of voting for herself rather than him, was furious enough that she slapped Absolon across the face for wishing death upon one of her friends, even one who had committed murder.
- Blind Obedience: To Lynn, who has done things to hurt her before, yet she continues to practically worship.
- Born Unlucky: A house fire, a plane crash, friends dying left and right, everything about her backstory is nothing but bad luck.
- Challenge Seeker: When asked by Skye if it was difficult to do certain things with her skates on, her reply was "Well, I wasn't invited to the convention for being average and not accepting challenges, right?" She doesn't back down when a challenge is presented to her, also shown when she attempted to use Amaris's silks (and actually did quite well).
- Character Tics: Grabbing her pigtails and tugging on them when presented with a stressful or frightening situation, which happens more often than it should.
- Darkand Troubled Past: Has multiple times brought up events in her life such as the house fire that got her sent to live with her mother, the death of a childhood friend, and her mother mistreating her.
- Determinator: She would never give up on anything, no matter what, even when it seems impossible. Failure is not an option. Ever.
- Daddy's Girl: She had a very good relationship with her father when she was younger.
- Declaration of Protection: To Shuichi. Or, more so loyalty than protection, though it could be interpreted as that as well.
- Graceful in Their Element: While she can move perfectly on skates, even on the weirdest terrains, walking doesn't come quite as easily to her.
- It's All My Fault: Feels this way about the deaths of both Skye and Hiro. Since she had been trying to come up with a plan to get the monster to leave Skye alone, but couldn't think of anything good enough, the fact that he had been convinced to kill, and ended up killing Hiro, she believes to be her own fault because she didn't act fast enough.
- Mommy Issues: During the group "feelings jam" she mentioned that her mother wasn't exactly the best and even tried to make her give up roller skating, then stating that her mother still didn't approve of her skating which didn't bother her much because "I don't like her very much anyways."
- Nervous Wreck: Plagued by many fears, Ramona is prone to panicking about the littlest things and immediately jumping to worst case scenarios, no matter how ridiculous they sound to other people.
- Properly Paranoid: Upon first waking up in the ballroom, she immediately jumped to conclusions thinking that she had been drugged, kidnapped, and was going to be killed...and, well, she wasn't exactly wrong.
- Survivors Guilt: And to the point where she truly believes she should be dead.
Aerial Silk Performer
A girl born in Canada who moved to Japan with her parents and younger sister when she was young to start up her family's travelling circus, Moondance. As a result, she became a skilled acrobat and by age 13 was a first string aerialist specializing in the aerial silk with her name (or at least her stage name) famous in some circles. Despite her great social capability, athletic prowess, and caring nature, she is lacking in book smarts and lots of things often go over her head.
A young Japanese girl, who makes her living as a lolita fashion model. Often sweet and friendly, she's constantly acting and treating others as nicely as possible. A bit on the self-depreciating side when it comes to her talent, and she can occasionally snap and drop any kindness when really angered, but for the most part, she stays sweet and friendly to everyone.
- Animal-Eared Headband: Well, not really. It's just a bow. But Skye has mistaken it for one, mostly due to the lack of proper lighting in the hotel.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Arisa feels that the talent she has isn't very useful, and wants to learn something that she can do a lot with. Her worry over never having a use in her life is the source of a lot of stress for her.
- Eloquent In My Native Tongue: While she can speak in English well enough to communicate with others, her sentences are still very simple and even choppy at times. When she's speaking in Japanese, though, her dialogue is proper and formal.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Completely inverted. Despite being so girly and ladylike, Arisa sometimes even messes up cooking microwaved food. Also the reason she eats a lot of junk food. No cooking involved.
- Hair Decorations
- Learnt English from Watching Television: From reading too.
- Lolita Fashion
- Hates Being Touched: One of her pet peeves. Usually polite about it, but if someone persists, she might drop the cutesy shtick and really chew them out.
- Not a Morning Person
- Parental Neglect: Arisa's parents, while they fed her and gave her a home, did not too much for her outside of that. Keeping on top of her grades, making sure she was healthy, showing her love and concern, and other such parenting duties weren't high on their priorities. Arisa doesn't hold any sort of grudge over this, and she doesn't consider this "tragic", but she also doesn't discuss it much.
- Stepford Smiler
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
A girl from germany who was invited for her brilliant skills in forging, despite only having one eye which is considered as a handicap in her field of work. She hails from a renowned blacksmith family and has two older brothers. Although she likes what she is doing right now, she often argues with her father about many things and in order to escape this stressfull time, she decided to go to the convention. A few days of idle peace were her main motivation for accepting the invitation.
- Badass Longcoat : Her slightly tattered lab coat counts as a badass longcoat of some sorts.
- Boyish Short Hair : Stella always likes to keep her funky hair short, because it's not that much of a bother to maintain.
- Broken Pedestal: Even though many evidences pointed out to Nui being the murderer, Stella refused to believe it until she had to confront the truth. She was that shattered by it that she even voted for herself as the murderer.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French : Depending on her mood, she can either sound terribly angry, deviously evil or badass has heck
- Eyepatch of Power : Besides the eyepatch she is wearing right now, she always carries three spares with her, each with a unique pattern. Sometimes, she experiences difficulties with her depth vision, but is managing fairly well, especially if she is forging something.
- Foreign Language Tirade : If Stella gets angry, annoyed or shocked, she tends to slip to her motherlanguage german.
- Functional Addict: Although Stella does smoke, she can function without it very well. The same goes for her weakness for sweets, but it's a lot harder for her to cope...
- Germanic Efficiency : This only applies to Stella when it comes to her work - if she forges something, then it has to be perfect.
- I Have Brothers : Two older brothers, to be precise, none of them being blacksmiths.
- Not a Morning Person : Stella will always try to sleep as long as she can and if she has to get up early, she resembled more a zombie than anything else. In her half-asleep state, weird things tends to happen...
- Sir Swears-a-Lot : Whenever in english or german, Stella knows a lot of harsh words and could even make a sailor blush with her colorful vocabulary.
- Smoking Is Cool : Stella is an occasional smoker, but since the beginnings of Somnolent Penumbra, her desire to smoke increased. Still, she is restraining herself as best as she can in order to preserve her cigarettes.
- Rebel Relaxation: Stella uses this position pretty often, it's just comfortable.
- Sweet Tooth: There is a reason why one of Stella's drawers is full of sweets.
- Working Through The Cold: During Chapter 2, Stella fell ill, though she stubbornly refused to acknowledge this fact and instead played it down as merely being "tired". She continued on to help everyone out, until she got so sick that she couldn't take care of herself anymore and thus needed to be nursed.
A girl who was born in a small town in France. Her father was a toy maker with his own shop which also doubled as their house. She would constantly play with all the children that would come in. Soon her mother fell ill and the little money her dad made went into getting medication for her. After the news that her mother was sick, Nui started to lock herself away from everyone else and only ever left her room to go to school. Nui then started to collect her toys and find sources of other collectors looking to buy or trade with her. Any money she got from selling her toys were split in half for two different things: her mother's medication and for new toys to sell and trade.
A girl from the north of England, invited to the convention after she once made papers for catching two prison escapees. She's worked at her father's private 10-18 youth prison since she was twelve, at his insistence. She thinks it's probably not even legal. Despite being a prison officer, she doesn't actually get to do much, mostly just being set the "task" of standing in the same place for hours. Has an interesting perception of the world.
- Aluminum Christmas Trees / Eskimos Aren't Real: Yes, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a real thing.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Comes up with some of the randomest, nonsensical stuff, you wonder where she even got these ideas from. Though with all the latest goings-on, she can end up looking like the Only Sane Man.
- Crying Wolf: Talks nonsense so much, people often don't believe things she says or take them seriously, like when she tried to tell Skye and Stella that Gyger and Hiro were still alive after the generator incident (albeit in a questionable way).
- Friendless Background: Although she used to have friends, she's virtually spent the last five years of her life just in prison. Kind of hard to make friends when there's nobody you can be friends with.
- No Social Skills: She's forgotten them.
- Stepford Smiler
A girl raised in Spain, she was taught various languages, though her main love is birds. She's a bit of an airhead, though she's always happy and cheerful and helpful. She gained fame and recognition for developing her own subspecies of hummingbirds.