Character Development Thread / University
is the twenty-first installment of the Character Development Thread
. It features an Oxford-like university that is mysteriously empty.
Feel free to add any tropes you see or use in the thread. The more, the merrier.
Character University includes examples of:
- Acceptable Targets
- The Twilight novels, and Young-Adult Romance all get a bit o' purging. Deadly purging.
- "The fact that [Cyrus] was still clinging to his weapon like a scared NRA member was not such a good sign."
- Bizarrchitecture: The university is a minor example of this. Nothing as strange as the Bizarrchitecture page image, but stuff tends to change to prevent there being continuity errors caused by differing descriptions, as it is a shared story thread.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Discussed by Tina, who suggests that the lightning used to destroy the New Moon book was sent down by the gods.
- Book Burning: Played for Laughs. And then drama. And then laughs again.
- Book Case Passage: In the library. Leads, circuitously and through several traps, to the hideout of the Religion of Evil.
- Cast Herd: Loosely and informally, by times participants are available to post.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Book of Inter-Dimensional Travel was introduced in post 19 of the thread and used 278 posts later in post 297
- Fainting: Happens to Maxwell, after reading a graphic page in a Yaoi Book.
- Prisha had a more dignified example after passing out from exhaustion of casting one of the most advanced spells in existence.
- Fauxshadowing: See the Foreshadowing example a little down. One of what Psycho Frea X seemed to be Foreshadowing was actually Fauxshadowing. The sands of time.
- Foreshadowing: Psycho Frea X is doing this a lot lately. One was the mention of Prisha's paradoxical self, who is made to be dumber and was locked in a dream. Another was the fact that the hooded boy likes popcorn. Sounds familiar?
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Some of the conversation between Linna and Jeremiah discusses how the university does not seem to have been created by someone who went to a real university.
- Four Lines, All Waiting
- Gas Chamber: One of the trials within the secret passage. Actually a smoke chamber intended to suffocate trespassers.
- Magical Library: The library. Maybe.
- Mood Whiplash: The library scene. It starts off with the lighthearted destruction of a Twilight book, causes someone to reveal their tragic past, and ends with a discussion of Yaoi.
- No Name Given: The auditorium's musician has dodged every attempt to get his name so far.
- Only the Knowledgable May Pass: The trials in the secret passage. Though quicksand pit is a bit of a subversion, the smoke chamber was made to be a straight example of this. But the intruding group were able to think their way through it anyway.
- Permanently subverted when Green uses her Powered Armor to punch a hole in the wall and fuses several wires with a laser rather than deal with an obscure puzzle.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Twilight was destroyed partially because of its inaccurate portrayal of vampires, at least in relation to the characters' worlds.
- Quicksand Sucks: One of the trial chambers within the secret passage.
- Ragnarök Proofing: Most everything still works despite the place being abandoned.
- Religion of Evil: The hound-worshipping cult who built the chapel at the end of the passage.
- Serial Escalation: The library scene started with talking about throwing Twilight out the window, and led to Ena burning the entire Young-Adult Romance section down.
- Set the World on Fire: Discussed by Ena.
- Sickly Green Glow: Ena's eyes flash green for a brief second in the library scene.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: The destruction of New Moon, done by attracting lightning to it with a non-magical lightning-rod.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Frequent, relatively speaking, as even those from worlds without magic or modern technology adjust rapidly to their new surroundings.
- Subverted with Linna, Joseph, Jeremiah, Maria, Harry, Sora, and Adam. All of them are from different timelines, and are absolutely confused.