Call Back: PostMU: Life's a Scream!
Due to this fanfic taking place after the events of Monsters University
, there is bound to be a WHOLE LOT
of Call Backs
to the film.
- Laura Sharp's first field trip to Monsters, Inc. is reminiscent of Baby Mike's in the movie, complete with sneaking into a child's room to watch the Scarer doing his work.
- Chapter One: A Day for the History Books
- We pick up where University left off (sort of) as we see Don Carlton and Sherry Squibbles get married in the stadium.
- The Oozma Kappa (OK) Fraternity shouted their Catch Phrase "We're OK!" after Don and Sherry were officially married.
- Brock Pearson mentioned that Claire Wheeler didn't calm down at the conclusion of the final event, in which she reacted like an over-excited sports fan when the OK Fraternity won the Scare Games.
- Terri Perry mentioned to his brother that he took Dance lessons while his brother Terry took English lessons, which is a reference to their respective majors in the movie.
- Naomi remembering how Terry performed magic for her at the ROR party, which is a reminder to the time he danced with her at the aforementioned party in the film.
- Chapter Two: New Arrivals
- The two newspaper articles Laura Sharp has in her possession both allude to events in the film: the OK Fraternity getting pranked by the ROR Fraternity, and Mike and Sulley being hauled away by the CDA.
- Laura Sharp's first day at Monsters University is also quite similar to Mike's as she was well received by the Resident Assistants (RA), except without the tour of the University like the movie.
- OK also finally gets their own fraternity house in the frat row.
- Laura Sharp, while eating at the university cafeteria, commented to herself that the food really is made by the best chefs in the (monster) world, which is what the RA (Resident Assistant) Fay mentioned in the movie.
- Laura Sharp's interruption of Professor Knight's Scaring Class when Squishy is giving the principles of an effective roar is similar to Mike doing the same thing just prior to Sulley's first appearance in the movie (except without the legendary roar).
- Professor Derek Knight calls Fear Tech personnel as "Fear Tech Dummies...", which is the same phrase used by Sulley in the movie while hiding their mascot in Mike's room.
- Dean Hardscrabble's "inspiring" speech is reminiscent of the one near the end of the movie, but she stated that she was looking out for particularly talented students, especially those who can "surprise" her, which references her comment about Mike Wazowski surprising her at the end of Monsters University. She also checked her newly replaced Scare Canister; the original was ruined by Mike and Sulley in the movie. She also enters the Scaring Classroom more or less the same way as what she did in the movie.
- The OK Fraternity, Mike and Sulley stealing Archie the Scare Pig again, except this time it's to impress the ROR Fraternity.
- The Slug Student, now ironically named Theo 'Turbo', is seen slowly running again, this time to his first ever Fraternity and Sorority Party. Later he is riding on Archie the Scare Pig the same way Mike is doing in the movie, before being flung off.
- Laura's way of trapping Archie the Scare Pig at the Frat Row is the same as Mike's in the film, and during the chase she leaps over a ping pong table (but not breaking it) as well as grabbing a pizza from a student's hand, just like Sulley in the movie. The two sororities (HSS and EEK) bickering over her to join their own sorority is quite similar to Sulley's predicament in the movie after catching the Scare Pig, complete with Johnny Worthington's appearance.
- The OK Fraternity's introduction to Laura Sharp is quite similar to their first introduction to Mike and Sulley upon first entering the OK Fraternity House, especially the scene in which Don gave Laura his card.
- When the OK and ROR Fraternities exchange barbs of conversation with each other, Chet's agreement with Mike is lifted word for word from the film, as in "Oh, boy, that's a good point!"
- Chapter Three: A Brand New Sorority
- At the gathering for the Kick-Off for the Scare Games, Naomi met Nadya who mentioned that maybe like last Semester, the PNK Sorority will at least make it to the third to final round. In the actual film, the PNK Sorority were eliminated at the "Don't Scare the Teen" portion of the Scare Games.
- Brock and Claire's lines at the Kick-Off of the Scare Games are lifted from the original film. For instance, Brock tells Laura that she needs to join a Sorority to compete in the Scare Games, and telling the OK Fraternity that they "count bodies, not heads." Brock also uses a similar line for "It's a Miracle!"
- During Scare Games registration, Laura took a page from Mike, through last minute sign-ups by the female monsters who will become her teammates in her own Sorority. The initiation for that sorority, Exceeda Zeta, is reminiscent of Oozma Kappa's own initiation, except using a thick branch instead of bats. Laura snaps the branch and burns it when she gets peeved; Sulley did pretty much the same thing (without setting fire) after being whacked by the Terry brothers during the film's initiation sequence.
- Randall's flashback of the ROR Fraternity members coming to his room to offer him a ROR jacket and welcome him back to the Fraternity. And during his later flashback of the meeting with the OK Fraternity, he mentioned what he did to them at the ROR Party in the film.
- Laura's conversation with the four female Monsters of her sorority is based on the scene of the OK Fraternity introducing themselves to Mike and Sulley earlier in the film. And when the OK Fraternity fell into a heap into Laura's dorm room, their introductions are based on the film's introductions for them.
- Chapter Four: Explosive Difficulties
- Chapter Five:
- Chapter Six:
- Chapter Seven:
- Chapter Eight:
- Chapter Eight and a half:
- Chapter Eight and three-quarter:
- Chapter Nine:
- Chapter Nine and a half:
- Special Occasion Chapter Nine:
- Chapter Nine and three-quarter:
- Chapter Ten:
to return to the main page of Fanfic: Post MU Life's a Scream!