(The Villain) is a 1993 Bollywood
film about a man named Ballu (played by Sanjay Dutt
), who is accused of terrorism. He is arrested by a man named Ram (later revealed to be his childhood friend
.) Ram, however, goes to see his girlfriend Ganga (Madhuri Dixit
), and Ballu escapes. Ganga (also a cop) tries to save her boyfriend's reputation, and find the real
criminal, Ballu's boss.
This film provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Ballu.
- Action Girl: Ganga.
- Faux Action Girl: Arguably. Although she is a police officer and has infiltrated a group of bandits by posing as a dancer, she ends up in waaay over her head, and doesn't really do much fighting. In fact, she usually tries to talk her way out of problems. May be justified in that she's making it up as she goes.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Subverted with Ganga; she admires her boyfriend's badassery, and isn't about to leave him for that outlaw Ballu.
- Played straight with Sophia, the woman who later becomes Ballu's girlfriend
- All Love Is Unrequited: Ballu falls in love with Ganga, but she only likes him as a friend.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: Ballu tries this.
- Badass: Ballu.
- Bald of Evil: Roshan
- Carpet of Virility: Displayed frequently by Ballu
- Christmas Cake: Ganga
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Ballu.
- Defective Detective: Ram
- Dirty Harriet: Ganga goes undercover to chase the criminal.
- Disguised in Drag: Ballu and his men dress up in skirts and veils and mock The Item Number that Ganga performed
- Drunken Song
- Elite Mook: Ballu Before eventually taking over the mob.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Some monkeys watch a fight between Ram and Ballu.
- The Item Number: The very controversial "Choli Ke Peeche Kya Hai" (What's beneath the blouse? The answer isn't nearly as perverted as you would think!)
- The opening credit number also qualifies
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique
- Green-Eyed Monster: See "Love Triangle".
- Guile Heroine: Ganga.
- "I Want" Song: "Aajan Sajan Aaja" and "Palki Me Hoke"
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Love Makes You Crazy: Oh, Good Lord yes...
- Love Triangle: Ballu falls in love with Ganga, but she is already in a relationship with Ram.
- Mistaken for Cheating
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Everyone is shocked by Ganga's actions, which even get her arrested. Ram almost leaves her.
- Pair the Spares: See below
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Although Ballu and his men are implicated in a number of heinous crimes, we never really see them commit any.
- Almost. There was the part in the beginning where he assassinated a politician who was promising to clean out the mob.
- Second Love: Ballu eventually gets himself a new girlfriend.
- Shout-Out: The drama involving Ballu, Ganga, and Ram is compared to that involving Ravana, Sita, and Rama in the Ramayana
- Too Kinky to Torture: Ballu
- Title Drop
- Tsundere: Ganga
- We Used to Be Friends: Ram and Ballu.