"serious criticism of great literature"The Half-World is a blog originally dedicated to Fan Fic MSTs run by Skepkitty. It used to comprise of awful fanfictions from fandoms such as Invader Zim, Twilight, Harry Potter, and Portal; as well as various other posts (some of which were MSTs in their own right, though not of FanFics). The site, which was started in September 2010 but didn't post any MSTs or attract much attention until early 2011, saw rapid growth in the first two years and, before a purge that happened in 2014, had over 250 chapters of MSTs. Currently, the blog is more focused on reviewing published literature, as Skepkitty has grown and picking on authors that are younger than xem has become an issue. In addition, due to Old Shame issues and the fact that maintaining two Tumblr blogs is easier than maintaining a Tumblr blog and a WordPress blog, The Half-World has moved to Tumblr, where only select past reviews will appear.Xe has taken on these stories: (Sorted in order of appearance)
- Published book reviews:
- Fanfic reviews:
- Fanfic MSTs:
This website provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- In-Joke: "Still a better love story/fanfic than Love Knows No Race."
- As well as that, Love Knows No Race gained reputation as "The Fic That Shall Not Be Named".
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: (From Love Knows No Race)No. NO. DID THE AUTHOR JUST FUCKING IMPLY THAT DIB AND ZIM ARE SIBLINGS AND ALSO THE CHILDREN OF THE ALMIGHTY TALLEST. IN A FIC WHERE ZIM AND DIB ARE FUCKING. NO.
- Orwellian Retcon: As revealed on his Tumblr, Skepkitty frequently changes or removes lines from his MSTs as xe sees fit, without warning anyone.Virtually none of what was on the old Half-World was in its ďoriginal formĒ anyway.
- Sarcasm Mode: From the Love Knows No Race MST:OKAY! Iím gonna explain a few thingsÖ I know itís going really fast, but thatís only because the rest of the story is going to go really slow.Awesome! Iím sure thatís what everyone wanted to hear, and itíll definitely also fix the pacing problem in the first few chapters!
Tropes of Stories Riffed On
- Surprise Incest: Shows up everywhere in Love Knows No Race.UpsidePickle: All in all, incest, incest COMBO x2!!, incest TO THE SECOND POWER.
- Ur-Example: Love Knows No Race was actually written in 2002, inciting Skepkitty to point something out...I was going to suggest that Marissa (of ďItís My Life!Ē fame) try to get a part in this, but then I realized that this story was written in 2002. Since itís such an old Zimfic, maybe, instead of just borrowing every Zimfic cliché in the book, the author helped invent those clichés, which makes it worse in a way.