Blog: Occupy Richie Rich
"Having infinite money means never having to wear pants."Occupy Richie Rich is a Tumblr devoted to dissecting old Richie Rich covers (a la Superdickery), and eventually branched out into riffing on the stories contained within as well.Tobi, the siterunner, interprets the Richie Rich universe as a Crapsack World where the Rich family has gained a total monopoly on every sort of product imaginable, and have created a very large gap between themselves and the poor and middle-class. Meanwhile, the family also conducts horrifying genetic experiments, including but not limited to pun-based animals and recreations of Richie himself. All this and more await within the archive of the blog.As of June 7th, 2014, the blog has been on hiatus, though submissions are still accepted.
- Accidental Innuendo: In-Universe.
- Actually Pretty Funny: This comic.
- He also found a startled Richie shooting money out from all directions "kind of hilarious".
- all lowercase letters
- Artistic License – Engineering: Lampshaded here, in regards to Richie’s dad’s dollar-sign-shaped $ky$craper.“yeah that looks structurally sound”
"Accidents on the Rich Freeway’s completely extraneous S-curve kill over 30 people every year."
- Also the case with a dollar-sign highway:
- Ascended Fanon: "attn readers, the Rich family having five warehouses full of used pun props is now Occupy Richie Rich canon."
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: The "Terrifying Richie Rich Fetish Special" posts are generally jokes about the Accidental Innuendo caused by the godawful puns on the cover: Richie and his mother being in a romantic relationship, Leg Men of the Dead, and so on. This one, however, is a spam submission that appears to be the Richie Rich Wikipedia page and some sort of actual fetish material thrown into a Markov chain generator.
- Bystander Syndrome: One cover has Richie drawing a great many dollars from an ATM, prompting a nearby man to comment "Heh, heh! That's got to be Richie Rich!" Tobi elaborates on this:"'It’s too bad everyone lives in mortal fear of the Rich family’s financial leverage, or I might try something crazy like picking up some of those bills to help in my ultimately futile struggle to put food on the table for my children.'"
- Cerebus Syndrome: This page comments on an apparent example in the source material wherein the story arc suddenly shifts from bad money-related puns to nuclear war.
- Come for the X, Stay for the Y: "come for the stupid comic covers, stay for the radical leftist politics and unnecessary jabs at DC"
- Could Have Avoided This Plot: "After a sufficient amount of time rummaging in the pool of money has passed, Richie removes the ball from his shorts, where it was the whole time."
- Covers Always Lie: Noted here."inside: a (presumably) visually interesting story about size changing shenanigans
on the cover: kids playing hide and seek, not even a pun or anything"
- Crapsack World: Played for Laughs.
- Crazy-Prepared: Richie himself. When a cover does a Kitchen Sink Included joke:
- Deadpan Snarker: Tobi. Example from this scene from "The Ghost of Rich Castle".Chef Pierre: (driving away from Rich Castle) I will return when ze food is ready for ze serving!
Tobi: Yeah don't keep an eye on the roast or add spices or anything, just drive off and watch some TV or something until the roast readies itself to be served. Pro chefing.
- Deconstructive Parody: Of the Richie Rich comics.
- Deconstructor Fleet: In regards to anything the Richie Rich covers contain.
- Didn't Think This Through: In regards to a pair of hands that open a vault, activated by simply pushing a button.
- Drinking Game: One post makes one: Every time Richie makes a dough pun, drink a pint of Liquid Plumr.
- Driven to Suicide: "since i’ve started having to actually read entire issues of richie rich, every time i see a “the end” caption i have to check if there’s a gun in my mouth, and 9 times out of ten there is and i have to unload it and put it back in the drawer"
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-Universe, Richie tricking Mayda Munny into thinking she's gained weight gets this reaction from the blog owner.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: The Sneezer, due to his exploitation of the Sneeze of Doom.…This guy fucking rules.
- Exposed to the Elements: Lampshaded endlessly, as Richie’s lack of pants get rather noticeable in colder weather.
- Evil Debt Collector:
- Fiction 500: Deconstructed.
- Flat "What.": Done a couple times.
- Gold Digger: This post paints Gloria as this.
- Gravity Master: The Mad Prankster. Tobi lampshades how out of place he is in the comic:"you know, I think maybe once you have a handle on controlling gravity you can graduate from playing pranks on rich people to like fighting the superfriends or something"
- Heroic BSOD: Tobi's reaction to the official Richie Rich Song stating that Richie could "buy New York if he gets the itch" was to merely write "god is dead" in the tags.
- I Knew It: Tobi correctly guesses the outcome of the "Trebor" mystery on the Sdrawkcab Name alone.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Tobi thinks all the puns are lame, except the "RICH sound" pun.
- It's All About Me: Richie himself.
- Jerkass: The entire Rich family.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Some of Richie’s puns cause this reaction in Tobi. One in particular prompts a GIF of a panda trashing an office.
- LEGO Genetics: Anything tagged "horrifying genetic experimentation" will contain this.
- Level Ate: Deconstructed here."Perhaps not coincidentally, a Rich Dentistry franchise just opened nearby."
- Mood Whiplash: Pointed out here."ok this is issue 10 of richie rich and jackie jokers and the previous 9 issues had covers that were typical money-based visual gags, and then suddenly this motherfucker comes along and not only are richie and jackie going to fucking die but so are billions in a forthcoming atomic war??? jesus fuck that is some tonal whiplash"
- Nightmare Face: This post describes a smile Cadbury makes as "a terrifying hell-rictus".
- Parental Incest: The subject of the second terrifying fetish special.
- Pungeon Master: Richie himself, to the point that Tobi believes that Richie has an addiction to puns, causing him to do such things as vandalize his own house and drop a vault of money into the ocean.
- Rooting for the Empire: "man the villains in this are always much smarter and more likeable than the riches themselves"
- Running Gag: Richie’s continuing feud against the ball park.
- Terrible money-related puns.
- A non-rich child with some typical child object looking on in horror at Richie’s inevitably upsized version of the same thing.
- Horrifying genetic experiments, usually including animals altered horribly for the sake of a pun.
- The Rich family destroying the economy.
- Job Stealing Robots, at least in the early days.
- When the site began to cover the stories in the comics, their often nonsensical plots became this.
- Scene Cover: "You don’t see a lot of the exact events of a comic cover occurring in the story. Especially weird covers like this."
- Sigil Spam: Dollar signs are everywhere. Some instances fall directly under Artistic License – Engineering, and are deconstructed shortly.
- Shockingly Expensive Bill: One scenario of this is deconstructed here:"fighting mutant alternative energy researchers with the power of billing them for the electricity that keeps them alive
- Shout-Out: Here. “I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE”
- Squick: The standard reaction to anything labeled a “terrifying richie rich fetish special”.
- Super Dickery: The site was initially all about this.
- Take That: "The roar of the helicopter blades outside the likely soundproof cockpit will make it virtually impossible for the rest of the audience to hear the movie, but Casper was a pretty garbage movie anyway so you could argue that Richie is unwittingly doing them a favor."
Richie: Oh, NO! The New Kids are lost in the Rich Mansion— ...and I don't know where they are!
- Another post shows Richie and Jackie making a wealthy Frankenstein's Monster, labelled "the shocking origin of rupert murdoch".
- One post featuring the "First Incredible Issue!" of Richie Rich & New Kids on the Block:
Tobi: For the love of god Richie, ensure that it stays that way.
- Another post describes the series as a "match made in hell crossover" and assumes it ends with Richie's robot dinosaurs mauling the New Kids to death.
- Tempting Fate: This instance:
- They Killed Kenny Again: According to Tobi, Richie often dies horrible gory deaths, and the lab boys simply grow a new version of him whenever it happens.
- Weather-Control Machine: According to this post, Richie has one. He uses it to heat the beach to 300 degrees so he can have it all to himself.
- What Is This, X?: Here."what is this, the goddamn flintstones?"
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: In this post, Richie complains about Dollar the Dog being too human, prompting Tobi to dub Richie a dog abuser.
- "you know what they say about sentient alien plants, show weakness and they’ll walk all over you with their horrid wriggling root-tentacles"