is a blog
devoted to the collection of pictures of astoundingly ugly, poorly-made, or otherwise entertaining professionally-made cakes. Jen and John, the married couple who run the blog, collect user-submitted photos and make a new post containing one or more cakes every day except Saturday. Sundays are devoted to "Sunday Sweets", cakes which are actually well-crafted and attractive, as an antidote to the weekday hideousness.
In the words of Jen, "A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places."
Think of it as MSTing
This website provides examples of:
- Accidental Pun: Some of the bakers create punny cakes without themselves even knowing!
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: "The fact that "period" is spelled wrong pales in comparison with, you know, everything else.."
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: With a dash of Covert Pervert:
We've all been there: you order something special, wait weeks for it to arrive, and then discover the hard way that you're allergic to latex. Dang it.
My point is, we've all faced disappointment. And itchiness. But mostly disappointment.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Sadly averted with some cakes.
- Berserk Button: Jen really HATES cupcake cakes.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: New Year's Resolutions.
- Continuity Nod: This post references this one.
- Deadpan Snarkers: Jen and John (the hubby of Jen).
- The Ditz: Some of the bakers, evidently.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Numerous cakes come out not looking quite like the baker intended, notably the "turkey poo-wang" cakes.
- Epic Fail: A regular occurrence. Especially when a cake ends up inedible, for some reason.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: Shark-Attack Cupcake ... Mountain?
- Expo Label: These, among others.
- Food Porn: Many of the Sweets. Some of the Wrecks could be considered Food Gorn, particularly the one that caught fire and melted—in front of Kerry Vincent (called the Simon Cowell of cakes).
- Freudian Slip
- Gag Boobs: Some of the supposedly-human-shaped cakes.
- Gag Penis: The space shuttle cake, albeit unintentionally so.
- Giftedly Bad: Most of the featured bakers.
- Gretzky Has the Ball: The writers admit they know very little about sports. Some of the wreckerators know even less.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Not a few people that show up here.
- Hurricane of Puns: Often.
- Insane Troll Logic: The only explanation for some of the cakes.
- Irony: This back-to-school cake that was filled with bad spelling errors.
- Kill It with Fire: Literally. Here.
- Least Rhymable Word: Orange in this Sunday Sweets post.
- Literal-Minded: Another common trait of wreckerators, as shown in this infamous example.
- Lolcats: Referenced a few times.
- The Mockbuster: Parodied here.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: One post featuring long-neglected, disgusting-looking display "cakes" (styrofoam iced up to show off the decorators' skill) had to clarify that they were all from bakeries that were still in operation. (For now.)
- Overly-Long Gag: Twenty-two individual choking opportunities.
- Poor Communication Kills: Many wrecks are the result of phone orders. Case in point: the memory stick.
- Pungeon Master: Jen and John are unapologetic about the volume of puns in their writeups.
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: A lot of cakes, including the one that started it all...
- Rouge Angles of Satin
- Running Gag: "I want sprinkles", the "naked mohawk-baby carrot jockeys (which is now part of the site's main banner!) and Epcot.
- Serial Escalation: Just when you think the cakes can't get any dumber or uglier, they do.
- She's Got Legs: This cake.
- Shout-Out: To The Big Bang Theory, the bazinga post.
- Spell My Name with an S: Names get misspelled in some pretty impressive ways, the best one probably being this one.
- Squick: Many time the photos sent and commented are extremely disgusting. At times readers are advised to have a bucket prepared. See this post — one of the cakes had a pair of scissors in it.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: In this entry about a wedding cake that appears to have sperm decorations. "Roses are red/And cake can be pretty./How sad for you,/'Cuz yours looks all.../[eyeing children]/...unpleasant.
- Take Our Word for It: "You, Too, Can Have Teletubby Poo" includes photo to illustrate an incredibly blue cake, another showing the way it stained everything and...
Step 3: Wait for Mother Nature's call. Enjoy this foray into the world of technicolor poo.
[PHOTO REMOVED] (You're welcome.)
- That Came Out Wrong
- They Just Don't Get It: Many of the bakers. Also, every time baby shower cakes are featured, someone in the comments will ask if Jen and John are "trying to tell us something", even though both Jen and John have made posts about having had their tubes tied.
- Trivially Obvious: "1 Dad". Not "#1 Dad", just a dad.
- The Illegible: Incoherent inscriptions are par for the course. Happy Falker Satherhood!
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: Quotation marks seem to suffer the most, e.g. the mildly worrying "Thanks For Being Our 'Dad'."
- Artistic License - Biology: Most of the cake depictions of humans and animals are anatomically impossible.
"Last I checked, turtles don't walk around facing the sky."
- You Make Me Sic