Not to be confused with the trope of the same name.
The Applied Phlebotinum blog is a series of formerly podcasts, now video blogs, created by an individual troper called Clawshrimpy. His first work was a Podcast of his review of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
where he looked at it in 3 episode chunks. He chose to continue in the form of video blogs, and has moved on to review other Science Fiction
and Mecha anime, such as Gundam SEED
, in a similar format, it's sort of like "Sci Fi Debris
except for Mecha anime".
You can find his blog at http://appliedphlebotinum.wordpress.com
and he is also on blip.tv
The Applied Phlebotinum Blog provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Clawshrimpy is a Caustic Critic after all.
- Berserk Button: Clawshrimpy has several of these, depending on what series he's reviewing.
- Bias Steamroller: his Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann review was full of this, considering the unending comparisons to GaoGaiGar.
- Caustic Critic: his modus operendi
- Couch Gag: the SEED review video blogs have two a piece. one at the beginning where a clip will play followed by Clawshrimpy snarking at it and one at the end, ranging from having Uzumi quoting the Neutral Planet Ambassador from Futurama, to playing the sad walking away music from the Ang Lee Incredible Hulk film over Nicol and Tolle's death scenes.
- Gushing About Shows You Like: Clawshrimpy pretty much admits his GaoGaiGar Retrospective is this. however, it's because someone e-mailed in and asked him to review something he liked.
- Jerk Ass: Clawshrimpy views most Coordinators as this, though Kira seems to get it the worst from his criticisms.
- more recently, It's been less aimed at Kira and has directed a majority of this at Azrael and Patrick Zala. Possibly justified.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: his biggest criticism of the mecha battles in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- He feels the same about Kira's SEED Mode powers.
- Oh Crap: Clawshrimpy has one of these in the first arc of Gundam SEED when he puts two and two together and realizes what's about to happen to the shuttle full of refugees, once Kira and his friends join the military for good.
Clawshrimpy: After all, nothing bad is gonna happen to the poor civillians or anything, especially now that all the major characters decided to stay on-board! *laughs half-heartendly* ...This is gonna be bad, isn't it.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Clawshrimpy delivers one in reguards to Azrael's plan to use nukes against the PLANTS despite the Earth officials not wanting to go through with it, in the vlog for Gundam SEED's last 5 episodes.
Clawshrimpy: THEY. ARE. DETERRANTS.
- Romantic Plot Tumor: Discussed: Clawshrimpy seems to lose interest quickly in character relationships. He felt the Cagali/Athrun Ship Tease episode "War for Two" was just filler.
- Scare Campaign: Clawshrimpy expressed disdain when Only Sane Man Chairman Clyne lost office to Patrick Zala because Patrick Zala used The Bloody Valentine Tragedy this way.
- Shout-Out: Clawshrimpy seems to be a big fan of Sci Fi Debris.
- He's used The Angry Video Game Nerd catchphrase "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING" reguarding the Earth Alliance's impotence early on in the SEED video blogs.
- Shown Their Work: Clawshrimpy provided some very good information about the Brave Series in his introduction to GaoGaiGar.
- Technobabble: Clawshrimpy has brought up Kira's keyboarding and jargon a few times.
Clawshrimpy: This episode opens with Kira typing away at his keyboard, spitting out numbers, because god forbid that's why we tune into SEED every week.
- Too Dumbto Live: Clawshrimpy feels this way about the Gurren Brigade.
- Not to mention the Earth Alliance at times.
- Gundam SEED Destiny 1-5 has Clawshrimpy saying this about nearly everyone from the start, up to and including Djbril's cowardly propaganda plan, to Shinn's friends saying that Earth's destruction will make things better for the PLANTS.