- The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck has Scrooge giving off several. One of the most awesome boasts comes when he faces down Flintheart Glomgold:
Villains of more noble ilk than you have made me cautious and resourceful and scrappy. But you
just made me mean!
(cue Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Kingdom Come: "I am Superman. I can do anything."
- Wolverine, after the X-Men have been completely annihilated by the Hellfire Club: "Ok, suckers... you've taken yer best shot. NOW IT'S MY TURN!"
- Prometheus from DC comics throws these out with just about every other line of his dialogue, but his boast upon meeting Batman for the second time is one of his best: " I beat you senseless last time just to show you I could. This time, I'm going to hamstring you, lobotomize you with an icepick, and leave you drooling for the others to find. Let's go, Batman."
- His first meeting with Batman is similarly great, as it's basically DC's two most badass Badass Normals boasting at each other for three pages:
Prometheus: I've been waiting for you.
Batman: I don't care what you've been doing. It's over.
Prometheus: See, the information on this disk can be downloaded directly into my central nervous system. I have thirty of the world’s greatest martial arts masters right here. And in just a few seconds, all their skills, all their physical prowess, will be mine. I can also reset my helmet lights to produce a disorienting strobe effect. I should tell you: the odds don’t look good.
Batman: For you.
Prometheus: You think so? You think you’re unbeatable? Maybe I should tell you something else: one of those thirty on my disk, Batman…is you… So don't patronize me! *proceeds to kick the living shit out of Batman*
- Throughout his first appearance, as he continues to pick off the Justice League one by one, he keeps count with an old nursery rhyme. When Green Lantern and Flash find him standing over a beaten, bloodied Batman, he introduces himself by saying, "Five little Indians. Who wants to be number six?"
- His debut issue, in which he murders and impersonates a wannabe hero who'd won a contest to visit the JLA, he uses the dead man's heroic catchphrase as an ironic boast. "Here comes justice."
- "You can look and look, but you'll never find me. I'll erase you from the pages of history."
- "I took the name because I wanted to take fire from the gods themselves. Steal their knowledge and techniques and use them against them."
- He gets yet another one when he meets Superman for the first time: "Brains and brawn. I'm impressed. You know, it's weird hearing you say the name. It's like I actually made it. Superman said "Prometheus" and he didn't sound scared. You should be. I'm here to take my rightful place in this gallery as the greatest super-criminal who ever lived. The one who killed the Justice League."
Prometheus: *something to the effect of "kill yourself and I'll save the innocents*
Superman: Save these people first. Then I'll do what you want. You owe me that much.
Prometheus: I don't owe you anything, you pompous monstrosity. You know who I am? I'm the ghost haunting your dream house. See, "justice" killed my parents. I was… pretty traumatized. I'm sure you understand.
- The Mighty Thor hands these out like candy on Halloween. See his page for details.
- Thanos is also good at these, especially when written by Jim Starlin.
You address omnipotence. Tread carefully.
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:
- "I'm Wilhelmina Murray. I've seen off Count Dracula, Professor James Moriarty and the Martian Invasion of 1898."
- Century: 2009 features an incredible one from God (Mary Poppins) to the Antichrist.
I rocked the fretful baby gods to sleep before time started... and I am companion to the women who paste up the stars. The quarters of the world are bound unto my compass. I have taken tea with earthquakes. I know what the bee knows... and you really are a dreadful little boy.
- Also, "There's a book about me in the Bible!" "Just the one? I'm on every page."
- Preacher: "Not enough gun."
- "We're the Justice League. We've beaten up real gods and made them cry."
- Mr. Mxyzptlk — "I'm the goddamn TRICKSTER GOD!"
- Final Crisis is full of these, but Darkseid gives a definitive Badass Boast in #5 after taking over the minds of the world's population and defeating the heroes, starting with a completely black panel filled with the words "I. Am. The. New. God." Also, obviously, A God Am I.
- Apocalypse of X-Men, especially in the early '90s cartoon, is given to such speeches:
- "I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!"
- "I am the rocks of the eternal shore! Crash against me and be broken!"
- "Only I, the eternal, can never be defeated! I cannot be touched! I cannot be harmed! Nothing can stop the Apocalypse!"
- "I bring the purity of oblivion to your world!"
- "I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal!"
- Nemesis the Warlock:
- The Sandman:
- "I am the mother of Odin's stallion, Sleipnir. I am the father of Fenrir Sun-Eater, and of Hel Half-Rotted and of Jormungund the World-Serpent. I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one." — Loki (duh)
- And, from the same world: "I am of the People, man. My teeth are sharp enough to cut bone. I can run on four legs as well as two. I am kin to dwarrow and nightgaunt. I owe allegiance to none and I fear no man born. I want the woman." — Vassily of the People
- Also from the same world, the Furies/Kindly Ones/Erinyes/Eumenides/whatever have a lot of these. Probably the best example is: "We have no nightmares. We are the hounds of Hades. Gods fear us. Demons fear us. We have hounded kings and angels. We have taken vengeance on worlds and on universes. We are the Kindly Ones. We are the Eumenides."
- Neil Gaiman is good at these. During the first The Books of Magic, Zatanna takes Timothy Hunter to a party attended by a wide variety of powerful evil magicians. We are led to believe that everyone at the party is either Affably Evil or a Punch Clock Villain on their off time, or both, until the party's host announces Tim's presence and announces that a hefty price has been put on his head ("Which need not be attached to his body"). Things are pretty tense until all of a sudden, John Constantine appears in a doorway, and everyone stops to watch him calmly light his cigarette.
John Constantine: "No one touches the boy. That's right, the boy's mine. And in thirty seconds, me, and him, and the witch are going to walk out of here. You know who I am. Or you ought to. You know my reputation. Now, does anyone really want to start something?" (Nothing happens) "Right. Come on, you lot. We're moving."
- From the Marvel Universe, a variant: the badass Thank Your Prey:
"Of all the creatures in the vastness of the universe, there is none like me. I was present at the birth of the universe, and I shall be there at its end. Though I ravage worlds to live, I bear no malice to any living thing. I simply do what I must to survive. And why must Galactus survive? For, no matter how many worlds I devour... how many civilizations I destroy... it is my destiny to one day give back to the universe — infinitely more than I have ever taken from it. So speaks Galactus."
- The robotic Manhunters' Badass Creed doubles as a Badass Boast:
No Man Escapes The Manhunters.
- Sinestro gets one of his own, natch:
Sinestro: Nothing frightens me. I am fear.
- The Crow, explaining himself to a cop: "I am pilot error. I am fetal distress. I am the random chromosome. I am complete and total madness. I am fear."
- The Authority: "I've already played this fight in my head a million times, from every angle. I know every move you'll make and how to counter it. I know how to kill you. You've already lost, you just don`t know it yet." Eventually, he starts handing it to people on a card.
(to a superpowered Mook
holding a child hostage): "Let me make this situation clear for you. I know what special abilities you have. I can see the enhancements. I can detect the increased electrical activity in your brain. I know what moves you're preparing to make. I've fought our fight already, in my head, in a million different ways.
I can hit you without you even seeing me. I'm what soldiers dream of growing into. I'm what children see when they first imagine what death is like. I'm the Midnighter. Your Move.
Regis: I can see inside your head, white boy. Did you think your little fight enhancements would let you kill me? You've never fought anything like me, boy. I am Regis. I have been raping and killing better humans than you for half a millennium. That's it. Fight me. Try to hurt me. I've lost count of how many men's fingers and women's nails have shattered on my skin. Your mothers and sisters will bear my children. You cannot stop me. Burn Albion, burn Europe— it won't matter. I am Regis, warrior king of this entire filthy planet— and I will wipe myself with your skin when I'm done violating yours.
- Spider-Man in Avengers: The Initiative. "Not gonna happen. Know why? Because I'm Spider-Man. And you're just a dollar-store version of the Lizard. See, I beat down guys like Doc Ock, Sandman, and Venom all the time. And you're just not in their league. Oh, I'm going to win."
- From Civil War, a quick one:
(watching Spidey work his way through pro-reg forces) Amazing. Spider-Man:
(giving Reed a flying kick) Spectacular
- Usually, however, Spider-Man inverts it, as his badass boast typically starts the instant he shuts up.
- In Amazing Spider-Man #369, ol' Webhead says this to his latest foe:
"I'm sorry, you think defeating me is that simple? Have you seen my resumé? I've fought mutants, gods, aliens, technomalogical wackjobs, street hoods... Hell, I fought my own costume. You think it's that simple? Bring it on."
- Morningbright in Top 10: Smax: "You see, it's like this. In the beginning, God created me... Then he made the universe from what was left."
- Wildcat, of the Justice Society of America:
"That's why I'm the best. Because I know how to fight like it's life or death... I once swam a mile with three bullets in my lung. I KO'd the Ultra-Humanite with one punch. I am Ted friggin' Wildcat Grant. This is my ring. These are my people. And tonight, for one last time... I am their champion."
- Subversion in Calvin and Hobbes: "S for Stupendous! T for Tiger, ferocity of! U for underwear, red! P for Power, incredible! E for Excellent physique! N for, um, something, well I'll get back to that. D for Determination! U for... wait, how do you spell this? Is it 'I'?"
- Projectra's Crowning Moment of Awesome in Legion of Super-Heroes v.3:
"Look at my eyes
, churl. No power... yours or anyone's... can stop me. My ancestors were wizards and kings... conquerors
. You are a common killer — a mad dog accidentally born in human form. You took my world, made my people slaves, and slew the man I had given my heart to. I need no power to destroy you — save the strength born in my blood." KRRAK!
- Peter Madsen's Valhalla:
- Tyr and Thor are having a contest that suddenly turns deadly by Thor's latest attempt to catch the Midgard Serpent. Tyr forgets the contest and starts acting like the God of War (Leaders) he is, snapping orders to help Thor. Thor's sidekick Tjatse doubts him... noting that they just learnt Tyr is of the Giants.
"I was born a Giant! I chose to be an Aesir!
- "Hear me, X-Men! No longer am I the woman you knew! I am fire! And life incarnate! Now and forever — I am Phoenix!!"
- "Behold your creation, Charles Xavier! I am what was, what is, what will be! I am the Black Angel, Chaos Bringer! I AM POWER!"
- X-Wing Series: Wedge has a bit of introspection at the start of one comic; it's not proper boasting because the whole issue is sad in tone, but without context it certainly looks like this trope. "I survived the Battle of Yavin. I survived the Battle of Hoth. Hell... Just a couple of weeks ago I blew up the Death Star during the Battle of Endor. The reason I'm still breathing when a lot of other good Rebel pilots aren't? Maybe it's because I'm better. Or maybe I'm just lucky."
- The various Lantern oaths, which also obviously double as Badass Creeds.
- Transmetropolitan's Spider Jerusalem immediately after being beaten half to death by three armed police officers:
"Ha haaaa hahahaha hah! I'm here to stay! Shoot me and I'll spit your goddamn bullets back in your face! I'm Spider Jerusalem, and fuck all of you! Ha!"
- The Punisher's 2099 incarnation gets a good one when facing down against the new Aesir:
- He gives out another one when he dives after a criminal who has a jetpack:
"I don't need a jetpack... All I need is hate!"
"Lay down your arms! I'm serious and I have the firepower to prove it! Sworn protectorate of over fifteen thousand submarine states. My territory surrounds every continent on the planet. I rule most of this planet's surface and almost all of its depths. So don't even think about picking a fight with the King of Atlantis."
- The Incredible Hulk: Bruce Banner once forced Wolverine and Daken to back down when he explained to them what it means to be one of the smartest people in the world and be dangerously unstable.
Maybe the real reason I became the Hulk... was to protect the world from Banner.
- In Season One, Bruce Banner gets one himself, against Hulk, and finished it off with a punch that knocks Hulk down.
Bruce: You're passion, Hulk. But I'm will. You said it yourself. I've bottled you up for years. Why stop now? You underestimated me, Hulk. Don't feel bad. Most do. What he put me through as a kid — you don't survive that by being weak. I'm the strongest there is!
- I Kill Giants:
I will unleash a terrible fury and do things to you that will make God cry.
- Fables: "You dumb bastards! I'm Snow White! I run Fabletown and I'm never outgunned!"
- And, later: "Brandish thinks his heart is cold and tough? Mine's been made of stone since I was a child. Monsters of the woods couldn't kill me. The armies of kings, sorcerers and empires couldn't. I'm Snow Goddamn White. I look after myself. I look after my own. And I never lose."
- Frau Totenkinder gets one toward the end of the March of The Wooden Soldiers: "I was always stronger than you thought. Killed a dozen times, but it never took. Even burned to ashes in my own oven, I came back, after a good while. How's that for a frail old biddy, eh? Now you hush and let me finish my knitting. Time to stop struggling and let the deep darkness take you. Your stories are all done, Baba Yaga."
- "My name is ________. I'm The Flash. The fastest man alive."
- Bullseye's is short, but right on target: "I never miss."
- And also, "If it's a weapon, I'm good with it. ...if it's a weapon, I'm the best."
- "We are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We strike hard, and fade away...into the night."
- Quicksilver gives a lengthy one when fighting Mr. X, but it ends with him explaining the situation. The pauses indicate Mr. X being struck with an iron bar.
You can read minds enough to be able to predict any attack your opponent will make. So you will be able to — anticipate every move I make — and do absolutely — nothing about it — because -I-am-the-fastest-man-on-earth.
- Ultimate Quicksilver was really great in the first two volumes of The Ultimates; after the US is invaded by a hostile army of foreign superhumans, he saves Hawkeye from the enemy speedster by dragging her along with him until she vibrates apart, at the same time delivering what must be the fastest badass boast in history: "You want fast, Hurricane? I'll give you fast. What kind of limits did they take you to back home? Mach five? Mach ten? I was hitting those numbers when I still had pimples. (...) Feel your bones rattling like you're on a freight train? That's molecules dancing. That's what happens when you threaten my friends!" The kicker is that he apparently does saves like that all the time, but nobody notices it and few people believe it when he tells them because he does it so fast.
- From Ignition City:
I'm 26 years old. I've been to the Moon, and Mars, and Venus. I've slept with asteroid gypsies, broken sloats, and fought with the eighth insurgency on Forest. I shot a man on Khargu because he needed to die more than any I've ever met. I repaired three rocket tubes with a wrench and a knife while hanging upside down over Titan during the syzygy. I'm 26 years old and my life is over now. So direct me please to the man who'll sell me a gun, and the place where my dad was shot dead in his sleep, for I have business to attend to before I lay down in my grave.
- Superman: Red Son: "Let our enemies beware: there is only one superpower now."
- Desolation Jones has a particularly memorable one:
- In the Green Lantern prologue to Blackest Night, with the introduction of Saint Walker, he reveals that his ring increases the power of Hal Jordan's ring.
Saint Walker: It is at full capacity, and will remain so, as long as I hope for your well-being. And I will always hope. Until my last dying breath.
- From Lucifer:
Michael: Was it not Buddha who heard a sermon in the thunder?
Lucifer: Actually, it is in the Upanishads, but I applaud your ecumenical impulse.
Michael: And the words the thunder said were Datta, Dayadvam, Damyata. Give, sympathize and control. I've always thought of that as one commandment rather than three.
Lucifer: Why do I feel that this particular sermon is being preached at me? I can do control. Nobody is good at everything.
Lucifer: A sermon in the thunder, Michael? Thunder only has one thing to say: it tells us how close the storm is.
- A Hellfire Club mook has just shot Kitty Pryde, who just freed Logan and Colossus from power draining cages, with a stun rifle.
Wolverine: Sucker, you just made the biggest mistake of your life. (SNIKT) And the last.
- Marvel Adventures, unlike the 616 universe, does not need wanton assholery to be badass:
"My name is Reed Richards. And these
are my toasters
- In Marvel Star Wars, Luke once deliberately activates an Imperial droid's capture programming with this.
"Yoda said it, Artoo: There is
no try! Only do
.. or do not
! And I
mean to do! This can't stop me! Nothing's
going to stop me! I'm Luke Skywalker
... destroyer of the Death Star
! I'm the one who dueled Darth Vader
and lived to tell about it!"
- The Incredible Hulk:
- While "I'm the strongest one there is" is the Hulk's catch phrase boast, recently he's simplified it. When told he can't do something, or asked how he thinks he can do something thought impossible, he responds "Sure I can/Easy, I'm The Hulk."
- Also, as the Maestro, he had this excellent villainous version;
Maestro: "No, by beating them to death, and it all went so quickly that I'm sorry I didn't prolong it." "You're fighting the inevitable, Hulk. I'm simply the final product of natural selection. The strong survive. I'm the strongest. I survived. When you go against me, you go against the laws of nature."
- Two Thousand AD, Cabalistics Inc.
In Akkad and Elam they called me Baarish-Shammon, and when they threw their children alive into the fire-pits it was my name that was on their lips.
In Egypt - in the reign of the heretic pharaoh Nephren-Ka - they called me 'She Who Stalks By Night', and they dressed my statues in the flayed skins of slaves to keep me from their doors.
In Kadath in the Cold Waste they knew and feared me. My true name is written on the walls of the tombs of Hidden Irem, where no human eye has yet to read it.
In Carchemish and Ashur, in Kiran and forgotten Sarnath, in Luxor and Ib. On the shores of Hali. In the darkest abyss-cities of Shaol.
In all these places, I was fear. I was despair. I was all this, and still so much more.
And you're still dumb enough to think you can beat me?
- The Wreckers from the various Transformers comics. There's a particularly good one in "Stormbringer".
Lost cause? Of course it's a lost cause! That why we're here.
- The Juggernaut or rather Colossus, after becoming the new Juggernaut gets one as his internal monologue, while fighting Null, Breaker of Stone who is the previous Juggernaut, possessed by an Asgardian demon
His lightning could incinerate armies. My bones crumble beneath his fists. He is stronger than me. He is faster than me. He is more powerful than me in all ways but one. He cannot stop me. How could he? I can't even stop myself.
- Doctor Strange does these relatively rarely, so when he flexes his muscles it really gets your attention.
Hear me well, Bruce
... Your anger means nothing
to me. I am the SORCERER SUPREME
. I could snuff the feeble flame of your mortal life with the merest twitch of a finger
- And the arguably scariest Dr. Strange villain of all, Zom (How scary? He was imprisoned once by a coalition of beings including Dormammu and Eternity - which is the equivalent of God and Satan teaming up to take someone out), after being freed from his dimensional prison: "Let the worlds within and the worlds without tremble in their orbits!"
- In Azrael Annual #2, a Legends of the Dead Earth Elseworld, Brian claimes Azrael "defeats six monsters before breakfast. Sometimes he has them for breakfast. With milk and sugar. And sliced strawberries, occasionally."
- The Secret Six, explaining why a potential client should hire them: "Your enemies are our enemies, and most of our enemies are dead."
- In one Silver Surfer classic story Mephisto managed to give one, while fighting Galactus himself.
I am Mephisto! There is only One
who can defy me! And compared to Him you are like smothering children in the furnace of the dammned!
- Palpatine from Dark Empire:
"I've played along with your Jedi dueling games long enough! Now you will experience my full potency... I live as energy... I am The Dark Side
- From Star Wars: Legacy:
"I have been through death and conquered it. I have returned with my power multiplied. The dark side of the Force lives and manifests itself through me! I reach into the dark side now and send ripples through it to all who serve it — know that I live!"
Darth Krayt, Dark Lord of the Sith
- Marvel Boy had a great one:
I'll show you people what paradise looks like if I have to level every city on Earth and rebuild it stone by stone.
- Birds of Prey: Barbara to Savant, after the latter broke out of Arkham. Over the phone.
Oracle: You've escaped, and you think the world's a huge place, and you can hide anywhere, right? I'm here to tell you...that world? I own it. Your world is getting smaller by the second. And you can't hide anywhere from me. Every database, every security cam, every police band has my fingerprints on it. Every moment you're out the noose pulls tighter. And Savant, just in case it's not crystal clear by now...nobody messes with my partner.
Savant: (trying to hide his face from a security camera) She's overestimating herself. She can't...I'm certain that...[runs away like a scared rabbit, without even bothering to hang up first]
- First thing the main character of Orc Stain says is:
I could crack the thunder of a lightning bolt.
- Judge Dredd: "The law is the law...and I am the law!"
- After ending the Annihilation event by killing Annihilus with his bare hands, Nova had brought the event up on several occasions. At one point he threatened Blastarr by reminding him that he could easily repeat the act on Blastarr if he does not act diplomatically. But the most famous instance was directed at Tony Stark.
Nova: I pulled him inside out and saved the universe. What have you done lately, Tony?
- "I'm Batman.". With his reputation, this counts.
"Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the Goddamn Batman."
- From the comics in the Transformers continuity:
Soundwave: Nothing moves on the orb below without my being aware of it. I see and hear everything, be it out in the open or behind closed doors. My reach is invisible, intangible. My grip...cast-iron.
- Although Usagi Yojimbo prefers the Death Glare to the Badass Boast, some of his opponents have given impressive boasts. Among the most memorable is Jei's:
- Death of the Family: Damian, all tied up and at the Joker's mercy, defiantly tells him, "I have nothing to say that would help you manipulate me, clown."
- Supergirl's Breaking Speech to a Filler Villain called "Rebel". Accompanied by Glowing Eyes of Doom and Dramatic Thunder that she might have summoned:
Kara: Look — here's the problem. You've done some bad things, but I'm really, really upset right now. So much so that, honestly, I don't trust myself. And if you attack me or I attack you... I will hurt you. I will hurt you worse than you've ever been hurt in your whole life. I can carve you up by looking at you. I can break you, boil you, freeze you. I can do things you can't imagine. Things I can't imagine, until I have to, and then I'll improvise. Part of me is hoping that you will attack. And part of me is praying — for your sake and my own peace of mind — that you don't. It's up to you. Oh... And, Rebel... I have eyes that can see through solid matter. I have ears that can hear your slightest word, your heartbeat, your breathing. You do anything that hurts others... I will find you. And you won't like it. Do we have an understanding?
- In My Little Pony Micro Series Issue #2 much of Rainbow Dash's and the Cloud Gremlins' dialogue consists of this.
I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm pretty awesome. I'm Pony Newman's
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, after neutralizing his special powers, Willow tosses Dracula his sword, which is intercepted by an enemy vampire. As Dracula takes the sword away from the vampire and uses it to slice him up, the following exchange happens.
Toru: Just like an old man. He needs his cane to stand. Doesn't know what to do with himself now that he's an ordinary vampire. Like the rest of us.
- In DC One Million, Vandal Savage's dialogue seems to consist of a string of badass boasts loosely held together by plot. (They get less justified as his plans unravel.)
Savage: I remember a world without the wheel. I have seen empires bloom and wither and die. Brief as flowers. And periodically, I have chosen to rule the Earth... This time, I decided to wait until the competition was big enough and arrogant enough to make it worth humiliating...
Savage: Like all specialists, your dependence on one weapon makes you vulnerable. I'll demonstrate.
Savage: I planned and fought and won battles you have only read about in your history books, boy. You're no tactician.
Arsenal: I'm coming back and you're gonna pay!
Savage: I paid for all this a long time ago; it cost me sixty barge loads of silver in the days of Thutmose. Look. The time has come for you to die, little boy soldier.
Savage: He trembled before those monsters of evolution. I destroy them with a wave of my hand! Look, Hitler, look!
- In the summer special '97 of Paperinik New Adventures, the Evronians bait Xadhoom to one of their bases,and the commander declares the party is over for her. Her response?
"This is where you are wrong, Evronian! Look at me...I'm all alone,in the heart of a enemy base, surrounded by thousands of warriors. The party for me begins NOW!
- Finnegan Sinister, last of the lyrical gangsters, of Sinister Dexter lives by the Badass Boast.
"You pukeholes made a serious life error rolling in on us. We're dead-eyed lead-sowers from the banks of the Styx and our guns are always hungry. You don't be messin' with us."
- Invincible, while fighting Conquest, who's physically superior to him in every way: "I don't care how strong you are. I don't care how fast you are. I can see the future... you don't live to see tomorrow."
- Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog has Shadow deliver one to Snively once he figures out what his true purpose is:
Shadow the Hedgehog. I am
the union of ideals dark and benign but ultimately built in the name of love. I am
the Ultimate Life Form
. I am
the protector of Mobius. Run home to your master and tell him. This is who I am
- Lex Luthor has had a few of these.
- Confronting a Phantom Zone criminal:
"I am Lex Luthor. I am the greatest scientist on this planet, and would be on yours as well."
"I raise my voice, and Satan himself is on bended knee. I am The Leader of the free world, you impotent little psychotic. I've had the most powerful beings on this or any planet gunning for me for years, and you think you're going to scare me?"
"I'm the only sane inmate of Asylum Earth. I'm not eager to hand tomorrow over to an interplanetary extremist with laser eyes. There's only room on this world for one leader, Superman. When I'm finished with you, every last gibbon out there will know you for the menace you are... and they'll realize that Lex Luthor is their savior."
- Immortal Iron Fist got one at the start of his new Marvel NOW series, Iron Fist: the Living Weapon.
I am the living weapon. I am the blade that cuts both ways. I am the masochist and the narcissist. Rigid and fluid. Corrupt and pure. I am a white-hot...clenched fist...of rage... and iron.
- Infinity event was full of those.
"I am Black Panther
. King of the dead. Soon to be your new master."
"First there was nothing, then there was eveything. Then the good Lord saw fit to bring me
into the world to kick the asses of those who need it most. So get ready 'cause this day or the next, it's coming."
''I am a servant
of my master, Thanos
— a destroyer of worlds, a breaker of kings. I am one of the five, Corvus Glaive."
- Eldritch Abomination Shuma-Gorath to the Mighty Avengers:
"Before. All was. I was. Before. Time was. I waited. I fed on the screaming souls of the Universes. I drank the spoiled milk of dead stars. I am the emptiness outside all understanding. I. AM. Shuma-Gorath. And this world is mine."
- To which Tiger God answered with:
"When humanity first looked into the night, my eyes looked back. When they learned to fear the darkness, it was me they feared. When they learned to fight for their lives and their loves and their children, I was their first enemy. Lay your claim to a thousand thousand worlds...this one is mine! FOR I AM THE TIGER!"
- In a later issue, White Tiger talks the Tiger God possessing her into giving up its power to her:
"You're pathetic. You talk about caves, and fires, and how all humanity feared you...what about now, tiger god? When humanity keeps you in zoos and parks? When we hunt you, or cage you, or raise money to help you? When we pity you? You're scared of humanity. What we've become. What we can become. And you want us to fear you? I'm more feared now than you can ever be, old tiger. I don't need you. Your time is done. I'm the beast that hunts in the darkness now. I'm the monster who even monsters fear. I'm the White Tiger. You want a deal? This is your deal: give me everything you have. Now. Or crawl away and die and I'll do it without you."
- The God of Thunder delivers an epic one to Iron Man following a very one-sided fight during J. Michael Straczynski's time as head writer of Thor.
"Give your orders and ultimatums to those who choose to obey, or too cowardly to fight, NOT to me. Or learn again the difference between a God of Thunder and a mortal man in a metal suit."
My name is Ringo Chen and I kill people for money. It’s my life. My whole life. From the cradle to the grave I know is waiting. A constant dance of bullets, blood and death. I am better at this work than anyone I know of. A simple fact.
- Moon Knight can do it well, especially when written by Warren Ellis
"Listen. Where are you going? Tell your friends. Tell everyone you meet. You tell them all. When you see me coming? RUN
"Let me tell you a thing about me. People who love me suffer and die. I never want to be loved. That's why I always win."
- Kit Willer once said of his father Tex: "'I knew it! I knew it! Nothing and nobody can defeat my father!". Given Tex had just returned alive and victorious from leading a few hundreds outgunned Patagonian Indios in an holding action against the full might of the Argentine Army'', he kinda had a point.
- Oracle at the end of Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #1 regarding how to deal with Flashpoint Hawkman and Hawkgirl and why she didn't go with Nightwing to fight them.
Oracle: They have eyes everywhere. They're listening to everything we say. I know that technique. I invented that technique. The reason I couldn't go with you to fight in the rocks to the north...? It's because I'm BARBARA FREAKING GORDON. Also known as Oracle. And I started fighting them ten minutes ago.
- In The Multiversity #2, Aquawoman claims that she's the most powerful creature on Earth-11 and does a fine job backing up that claim as she battles Nix Uotan.
- In My Little Pony: Fiendship Is Magic #1, Sombra gets a good one when he awakens his true power. "Destruction was my talent, and darkness was my cutie mark."
- Marvel likes using these as the seemingly fourth wall breaking titles of their collected editions: Deadpool has "You suck, I rule" while volume one of Legendary Star Lord is "Face It, I rule"
- White Tiger of the Mighty Avengers gets a glorious one in against the then-evil Thor Odinson:
"I stole the power of the Tiger God by the force of my will! A god that humanity feared before you were even w twinkle in your all-father's eye, Stormbringer! And I became that fear! WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ME?"
- In Garth Ennis's run on The Shadow comics, the eponymous character gives this retort to Margo Lane's concerned "But there could be an army waiting for you...!"
"Then God have mercy on their souls."
- Ultimate Fantastic Four:
Thanos:I was old before your world was born, boy. I have bathed in the hearts of stars, and wandered in the mansions of the afterworld. My soul is a clenched fist, and Death has kissed it.