open/close all folders
As a whole
- Aladdin: Turkey, Greece and Egypt's costume theme for Hetaween 2011.
- Arch-Enemy / Sitcom Archnemesis: Greece and Turkey are this to each other. Especially noticeable in Greece's case, as Turkey is the only thing that can rile up the normally laidback nation.
- One could argue TRNC and Sealand as well.
- Romania and Hungary, to the point that Hungary names her dogs after him, and locks him out of the Hetaween 2013 party. It makes historical sense.
- Badass Longcoat: Turkey and TRNC, and Romania and Moldova (though the latter's is much shabbier) as well.
- Cute Little Fangs: Romania has one, obviously as a reference to the country's association with vampires. Moldova has two where his front teeth would be.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Greece and Turkey have a fistfight in almost every Christmas strip.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Romania and Bulgaria. May be an allusion to the Bulgarian/Romanian traditional friendship.
- Idiot Hair: Greece and Turkey both have the same kind of ahoge that splits in two curled parts, although Turkey's is harder to spot as his is located on the back of his neck, unlike with Greece's which is located on the top of his head. TRNC has one in an unfinished sketch, too.
- Curiously, Cyprus actually lacks said Idiot Hair.
- Moldova has two wild strands sticking out on either side of his head.
- Nice Hat: Romania and Moldova with their miniature top/bowler hats, and Turkey and TRNC too.
- Power Trio: Fanon sometimes portrays Greece, Turkey and Egypt this way, with Turkey as the Id, Greece as the Superego (or at least the marginally less temperamental Id), and Egypt as the Ego (and Only Sane Man).
- Backed by the fact that we see the three together during the April Fool's event even though Bulgaria or TRNC (or Cyprus) would be more geographically fitting.
- A recent sketch has the three sleeping together...not like that.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Turkey and Greece, respectively.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Greece and Turkey, respectively.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: In the Drama CD, TRNC is deadpan, quiet and stern, while his big brother Cyprus is expressive, talkative and polite.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Romania and Moldova, down to their coats, hats, and fangs. Played with in Cyprus' case, as he looks like a younger and slimmer Greece, but lacks the Idiot Hair that both Greece and Turkey have.
- Triang Relations: Throw Japan in with Greece and Turkey, and there are plenty of combinations possible. The most canon one is Greece —> Japan <— Turkey, possibly leaning towards Greece <—> Japan <— Turkey, but fanon also likes Japan —> Greece <— Turkey and occasionally Turkey <—> Japan <—> Greece.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Greece and Turkey, believe it or not, might actually fit this too, going by their latest character profiles which state that even though they're constantly fighting each other, Greece sometimes goes shopping in Turkey's malls.
- In one strip, Turkey is giving Greece a Turkish Bath to "bully" him and while Greece is loudly voicing how much he dislikes it when in reality, as he later admits, he actually enjoys himself and has a nice time.
Hellenic Republic - Heracles Karpusi
I want to become a cat, if I can be reborn...
Voiced by: Ciaou Sasaki (Flower of Iris CD), Atsushi Kousaka (JP), Arisa Nishiguchi (JP, as a child), Kissho Taniyama (Hetalia Phantasia CD dramas), Vic Mignogna (EN)
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: As seen in this strip, Greece has a movie about a gigantic moussaka attacking.
- Berserk Button: Turkey's mere presence.
- This seems to extend to TRNC as well if the Drama CD is anything to go by, since he threatens to disown Cyprus if he continues interacting with TRNC.
- Blade on a Stick: Aside from his metal cross, he uses a spear◊ in some drawings.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He tends to be characterized as this in some fanworks.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He's #1 in the frequency of sex in the world, surpassing even France, and everyone else knows it, and he has no problems with nudity like France... and yet he's one of the nicest characters in the series and the other characters don't seem afraid of being randomly undressed or molested while interacting with him, unlike with France. Additionally, it's made clear that he definitely wouldn't object to having sex with his close friend Japan (and may haved managed to get him into bed at least once) but also that he values their friendship enough, or is mindful enough of Japan's intimacy issues, to not press him too hard on this, and genuinely likes him as a person.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Pick a fanwork, any fanwork that has Turkey flirting with Japan within Greece's line of sight, causing him to go from sleepy-eyed to green-eyed (if not outright death-glaring) in 0.3 seconds flat. It's usually only when Turkey is around, though.
- Coat Cape: When he's wearing a coat, it's often shown billowing out.
- Drives Like Crazy: According to some manga notes:"When riding in cars he becomes a little bit faster!"
- Erudite Stoner: Other than the drug-using part, he fits this trope to a T. So well, in fact, that it's somewhat surprising that there haven't been that many fanworks that make him a full-blown one - maybe because fanon has already pegged Canada and Netherlands as the main Stoners.
- Heavy Sleeper / Sleepyhead: In the world conference shown in the first manga chapter and anime episode, he sleeps right through all the other countries' loud fighting. He also tends to doze off in the middle of conversations and fall asleep on the spot without warning.
- Hidden Depths: Seems a Cloud Cuckoo Lander, is actually The Philosopher.
- Improbable Weapon User: Some sketches show him carrying around a huge metal cross, which represents the Agion Oros aka Mount Athos.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Greece loves cats, but is less skittish towards others than your average Crazy Cat Lady.
- Momma's Boy: It's safe to assume that he's this from how he takes care of his mother's ruins and likes to talk about her mythology and culture. Atypically for this trope, this trait of his is usually portrayed positively in both canon and fanworks.
- Motor Mouth: When on philosopher mode.
- Mr. Fanservice: In an episode of Beautiful World where he recalled his best memory with Turkey, there was a lot of attention drawn to his abs and pecs.
- Naked People Are Funny: The only one aside from France who will casually walk around buttnaked. Or casually suggest a naked check-up to another person.
- Perpetual Poverty: He suffers from trade deficit and can't play online games with the others due to costly internet.
- Really Gets Around: In the "official doujinshi" by Himaruya, England and France try to tell others that he invented condoms. It backfires when he admits he's had lots of sex, but then adds he doesn't use them.
- Ladykiller in Love: However, this is rarely brought up in shipping fanworks, as the general assumption in fandom is that he's still a Nice Guy at heart who would willingly stop sleeping around to be in a committed relationship with the one he loves. Most common with Japan, to the point where references to him having waited for over a hundred years for Japan to return his feelings are not uncommon; with Turkey, it tends to be more of an 'on-again, off-again' thing, but there's still usually the implication that he reserves the sex for Turkey only.
- Spell My Name with an "S": So is it 'Karpusi' or 'Karpossi' or 'Kiparsi' or what? Also, is it 'Heracles' or 'Herakles'?
- Actually "Karpouzis", since he's male.
- Super Strength: Implied. One picture shows him wrestling down Germany seemly without trouble, in a strip he knocks out and carries around France's body like it's nothing, and in Gakuen Hetalia he manages to move around several life-size stone statues and not even pant afterwards. It certainly would fit his human namesake.
- Unkempt Beauty: Japan gets confused when Greece tells him that he doesn't want Japan to see him with Messy Hair in the rain, as he thinks that Greece's hair looks messy all the time and doesn't see a problem with it. (It certainly doesn't stop fanworks from depicting him as extremely attractive, anyway — and who can blame them with official art like these?)
- Vocal Evolution: In episodes 54 and 55, his voice is considerably slower-paced than his first speaking appearance in Episode 35.
Republic of Turkey/Ottoman Empire - Sadik Adnan
Today I make Europe mine.
Voiced by: Hanmei Okina (Flower of Iris CD), Takahiro Fujimoto (JP), Kent Williams (EN)
- The Alcoholic: Well, he did spend most of the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010 drunk. Unless...
- Ironically enough, mostly due to Islam's religious restrictions, Turkey's alcohol consumption is the lowest in Europe.
- Accent Upon The Wrong Syllable: Tends to do this in the dub.
- Belly Dancer: There is a humorously large amount of fanart that shows Turkey (Yes, very male Turkey) as a belly dancer. Make of that what you will.
- Truth in Television: Apparently, in Turkey it's not uncommon to have a girlish-looking and veiled male bellydancer prank tourists and/or distracted people via giving them lapdances and then reveal himself as a dude.
- Bling of War: Ottoman style.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Was gung-ho about invading Europe during his Ottoman Empire days, and even nowadays is quite loud about his opinions.
- Child Hater: "I really hate kids!", after Chibitalia kicks him in the face and little Greece "welcomes" him home with a smile.
- Carpet of Virility: Type 1, as seen in Hetaween 2011.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Is often portrayed as this to Greece or Japan in fanworks. The latter case might be canon, considering how he becomes incensed upon seeing Japan with Greece in one manga chapter and jumps to the assumption that Greece is "trying to invade Japan", even claiming that "Ya don't know how well Japan and I get along!" He even threatens to invade France if he tries to harass Japan his usual way.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: Usually sports this look.
- Domino Mask: Wears a white one.
- Hopeless Suitor: He's implied to have a crush on Japan, and it turns out that his rival is none other than Greece. Who's shown a lot more with Japan than him in the strips. And may have slept together with Japan at least once. And while fandom does give Turkey some action with Greece, the number of fics in which he's even considered as a viable romantic possibility for Japan, much less paired up with him, can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
- It's only on the Western side though, due to having the author's notes about Turkey and Japan lost in translation until recently. Meanwhile, the Japanese fandom likes to play with the Greece/Japan/Turkey Triangle in all shapes and angles; most commonly in Type 2, 4, 5, 7, or 8 Triangle forms with either Japan or Greece at the pivotal point.
- Lets Everyone Join but You: Feeling left out, Turkey asks The European Union to join in. After decades of waiting expectedly for acceptance, he finds out that the EU lets any nation join within seconds while he's being ignored.
- Inter Generational Friendship: Sorta, with Iceland in the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010. It helps that Iceland is already a teenager, not a child.
- May–December Romance: Some fans are pairing them up. Especially after Iceland dreamed of Turkey as a half-naked Santa...
- Laughing Mad: After realizing that the European Union is not that much into him.
- Love Hurts: In the beta version for the drama CD, he's revealed to have been in love with Ancient Greece/Byzantium. Who he eventually killed. (It's not necessarily canon as it wasn't included in the final version of the drama CD, but it sure would explain an awful lot about his relations with her son.) And when you take in account the aforementioned Hopeless Suitor case with Japan and Greece and the only popular fanon pairing he gets being all about him and his Arch-Enemy belting out the tune of The Masochism Tango at the top of their lungs, you have one wholly unenviable love life on your hands.
- Let's not forget that a small section of the Japanese fandom also pairs him up with the local Action Girl, Hungary. Who has been fighting him ever since she was a little girl (she refers to him as "the Ottobastard Empire") and not to mention Ottoman Hungary was one of the most rebellious provinces in the Ottoman Empire. Add how she's in love with Austria and, well...
- Malevolent Masked Man: A subversion, and more often than not Played for Laughs. Yes, he was VERY unpleasant in the past to many nations (young Greece, young Hungary, the Italies, Spain), but after having gone from the personification of the Ottoman Empire to the one of the Republic of Turkey, he's portrayed as a Hot-Blooded Jerk with a Heart of Gold who's actually rather fun to hang out with. Unless you're the now grown up Greece.
- Must Have Caffeine: In the dub he isn't going to invade Europe just yet because he wants to go home to get some real coffee. He thinks European coffee is "for the baby".
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: He does that when he 'kidnaps' Greece after forcing him into an Aladdin costume, to carry him to the Halloween party.
- Parental Substitute: Acted as this toward young Egypt and young Greece after the fall of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire.
- Perma-Stubble: Along with a Carpet of Virility, showing both his older age and masculinity.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it "Sadiq" or "Sadik"? Also, is it "Adnan" or "Annan"?
- Sweet Tooth: He loves sweet food, one such food being ashure or Noah's pudding, a traditional Turkish dessert. Justified Trope, since Turkish cuisine is well-known for its sweets.
- Real Men Hate Sugar: Needless to say, inverted.
- Take Over the World: As the Ottoman Empire, he continuously tries to take over Europe- fighting little Hungary, the Habsburgs, abducting little Greece, etc. in the process.
- The Nicknamer: In the dub, he almost always calls Japan "Jappy" and has several insulting nicknames for Greece. He also called Spain several versions of "short" in his Ottoman days.
- White Mask of Doom: Sometimes wears one that covers up his whole face, most of the time one that hides his eyes. When fighting it may come with a black veil.
- Worthy Opponent: He actually considers Chibitalia, who kicked his ass one time, this, and shows no embarrassment over his loss in modern times.
Republic of Cyprus
Um... a-ah... am I interfering?
Voiced by: Benjamin Komatsu (Flower of Iris CD), Toshiki Kurosawa (JP), Aaron Dismuke (EN)
- Badass Pacifist: In the Drama CD and the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011 he is a very Nice Guy, but when Turkey and Greece push his limits he blows up at them and gives them a good talking-to about their people living in peace. In his comic cameo he demands from Greece to try getting along with Turkey.
- Berserk Button: Greece and Turkey fighting is enough to make him lose his cool.
- The Cameo: He does a cameo in a Greece and Turkey strip.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One side of his hair is much longer than the other.
- Nice Guy: Normally very peaceful and easygoing.
- Only Sane Man: Even more so than Egypt.
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC)
Voiced by: Hina Minami (Flower of Iris CD)
- Big Brother Worship: And don't you dare to talk badly about Turkey in his presence.
- Berserk Button: Talking badly about Turkey... and he's not a micronation.
- Not Growing Up Sucks: He can't grow up because he's only been recognized as a country by Turkey, according to the Drama CD.
- Perpetual Frowner: Very serious.
- The Rival: To Sealand, since TRNC's at least been recognized by Turkey, while Sealand isn't recognized by anyone.
Republic of Bulgaria
I thought I'd use this event as a chance to promote myself, so I've been going around greeting everyone.
- Bishie Sparkle: When posing with his stick, and again with his Attack on Titan jacket in the Hetaween 2013 event.
- Cosplay: Technically with the aforementioned jacket...but he only ordered it because he didn't want to make his own uniform.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Possible characterization since he randomly decides to smack Italy after France and England do, and the only photo of him in his military clothes has him posing for the shot.
- Eyes Always Shut: In his first appearance (in both the manga and anime), he was drawn like this. He's had fully open eyes in every appearance since.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: His ill-fated attempt at cheering up Romania:Romania: Anyway, it's no good; I'm a huge disappointment even to myself...Bulgaria: A disappointment?! Who cares?! We're totally the top 2 by a wide margin in the ranking of biggest disappointments in the EU!
- Improbable Weapon User: He likes using a stick:Bulgaria: Once I get a stick in my hand, I start to tingle with excitement!
- Nice Guy: Contrary to his fanon portrayal, in Hetaween 2011 he's shown being rather nice.
- Our Angels Are Different: Dresses as one for Hetaween 2011, opposite Romania dressing as a demon.
- Out of Focus: Had the dubious honor of showing up in only one scene for a long time. Until he unexpectedly showed up for Hetaween 2011, even lampshading his lack of canon scenes with a comment about how he wanted to promote himself at this event.
- The Quiet One: Word of God has it that he's like this with people he doesn't know well.
- Sharp Dressed Man: Himaruya mentions offhand that he likes the way the Bulgarian military suit looks.
- Trademark Favorite Food: According to the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011, yogurt. Considering that a Bulgarian doctor discovered the true cause for the existence of natural yogurt as well as its extensive use in Bulgarian cuisine (and for that matter, in many Balkan countries), it's a Justified Trope.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: He cites this as his reason to bully Italy, even when they're in the same group.
Stop with that depressing song!!
Voiced by: Takuya Kodama (JP), Chad Cline (EN)
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Moldova, to the point that he gets depressed and feels like a failure when Moldova refers to Russia as "big brother."
- Black Magic: His first appearance is in the background of the Gakuen Hetalia magic club.Spells and black magic are his specialty. He's a merry oddball.
- The Faceless: Mentioned in Hungary's relationship chart and possibly appeared as a cloaked figure called Wallachia, but was only recently given a real appearance.
- Fortune Teller: With Tarot cards.
- Haircolor Dissonance: Is he a brunet, a dark blond, or a redhead?
- Most artists draw him with a dark blond hair, though.
- Looks like a strawberry blond, which could hint at the Strigoi; a bloodsucking reanimated corpse that is said to have red(dish) hair and blue eyes.
- Meaningful Name: "Romania" means "Land of Romans." He's a huge fan of Ancient Rome, and considers himself to be descended from him (though Romano vehemently disagrees).
- Nightmare Fetishist: According to the Hetalia Bloodbath 2011. He scares the everloving shit of his old friend Bulgaria while telling him about Vlad the Impaler with a big cheerful smile.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Invites the Italies to a concert at his place, with one stipulation:Romania: Blood...if you give us some of your blood...
- Our Demons Are Different: Dresses as one for Hetaween 2011, opposite Bulgaria dressing as an angel.
- The Pollyanna: He's experienced many unfortunate events in life, but remains optimistic.Romania: Positive in the strangest ways! That's Romania!
- Psychotic Smirk: As mentioned below, he usually has this or the Slasher Smile in fanarts.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He appears to have the red eyes, but he doesn't look too threatening.
- The Rival: He has a rivalry with Hungary, which makes historical sense.
- Slasher Smile: Fanart often gives him this; most fans speculate he has Cute and Psycho potential. The creator mentioned he's full of mischief, hence he falls into the Trickster category.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Romania or Rumania? English sources seemed to use both nonchalantly...
- The Team Wannabe: At one point he tries to get acknowledged as a descendant of Ancient Rome (and thus an Italy brother), but Romano shoots him down immediately.
- Third-Option Love Interest: Until he was given a face, the main "contenders" for Hungary's heart in fanon were Austria and Prussia (and once or twice, Turkey). The moment he appeared, Romania/Hungary fanarts started to pop out almost immediately...
- Trickster: Described as mischievous by the author himself.
- Uncanny Neighbor Resemblance: Possibly a result of Only Six Faces, but he could pass for Male!Hungary◊ if his hair was up. Could also be a bit of Fridge Brilliance considering how Transylvania (from which he is heavily inspired) has shifted control between Romania and Hungary, and Hungarians are the largest minority in the country.
Republic of Moldova
Salut! Sweets please, and lots of them if possible!
- Adorably Precocious Child: Mentioned in his profile that he's a hard working boy and more patient when compared with the Micronation kids.
- Cheerful Child: Most of the time. When Russia is around, however...
- Empty Eyes: Gets these around Russia.
- Freudian Slip: Combined with a Last-Second Word Swap.Russia: You're adorable, Moldova. I'd be happy if you'd call me 'big brother.'Moldova: That would be way too terrify — um, terrific, Mr. Russia. Um, I mean...Big Brother Russia...
- Nerves of Steel: In the 2013 Hetaween event, he mentions that he has a high tolerance for terror.
- Perpetual Poverty: In the, "In Just Two Minutes, You Can Grasp The Exterior Of The European Economy" strip, he is said to have an economy 1/30th the size of Greece.
- Plucky Boy: As said above, he's said to be hardworking and stubborn.
- The Stoic: Becomes almost frighteningly subdued when Russia is around, much to Romania's horror.Moldova (with Empty Eyes): I'm no longer a child who's satisfied with just enjoying himself all the time.
- Sweet Tooth: Appears in the 2013 Hetaween event expecting sweets. So cute!
- Vapor Wear: He "often only wears a coat," and only a coat. He asks for underwear during the Hetaween 2013 event.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: He's adept at reading the atmosphere to properly deal with Russia.
Republic of Croatia
- Dull SurpriseThat was quick... Se ya around! Upon being immediately accepted into The European Union.
- Former Teen Rebel: "For a while he had dark circles under his eyes and was an outlaw but after he started to emphasize on tourism he began to care more about his appearance".
- Sweet Tooth: The Licitar gingerbread is his Trademark Favorite Food.
- Tearful Smile: He has a very pleasing, serene, eyes-half-closed smile that's almost melancholic.