Awesome Music: Touhou Other Works
This page covers all official non-game works and fan works.
You can return to the music index here
open/close all folders
The supplementary material
- To begin this section, enjoy "Kid's Festival ~ Innocent Treasures", widely considered to be ZUN's own theme song.
- From the same collection - "Phantasm Machine ~ Phantom Factory".
- Most of ZUN's work is classical/techno, but there are a few rock pieces here and there, try "Good Days, Bad Days".
- "Greenwich in the Sky", from Magical Astronomy, an album devoted to Maribel and Renko, is something you have got to hear for yourself.
- Also from Magical Astronomy, you have "G Free". This piece is probably more known for it's rearrangement and usage as the rather dramatic Final Boss theme and the Final Spell Card theme of Concealed The Conclusion (with no small part of "Eternal Shrine Maiden" mixed in as well).
- Yet another Magical Astronomy masterpiece, helpfully titled "Celestial Wizardry ~ Magical Astronomy".
- Magical Astronomy's Welcome to the Moon Tour.
- "Youkai Space Travel", a FM-synth tune from the Silent Sinner in Blue bonus CD, is a well-hidden gem.
- Similarly, from the second Strange and Bright Nature Deity CD comes the beautiful "The Refrain of the Lovely Great War".
- And "The Strange Everyday Life of the Flying Shrine Maiden" from Dolls in Pseudo Paradise is just plain awesome.
- Dolls in Pseudo Paradise isn't as liked as the other music collections, however its version of "Eternal Shrine Maiden" is simply beautiful.
- From Ghostly Field Club, the largely ignored and completely fantastic "Mary, the Magician". The piano version is pretty good, too.
- Another from Ghostly Field Club, Girls' Sealing Club.
- "Blue Sea of 53 Minutes" needs little introduction. It was remixed for the Concealed The Conclusion fangame, where it's used to heartbreaking effect. And of course once TAM gets his hands on it the song becomes one of the saddest, most tear-jerking things ever.
- "The Purest Sky and Sea" is calming, but also tinged with melancholy. Again, Concealed The Conclusion used it well.
- "Border Between Dream and Reality". Around 1:38, the piano can really blow you away.
- "Illusionary Eternal Festival", the last track of Ghostly Field Club.
- From the Strange and Bright Nature Deity CD: "Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Incident" which could affectionately be referred to as "UN Owen Was Sunny Milk?".
- Also from the Strange and Bright Nature Deity CD is "Star Voyage 2008", an almost completely mesmerizing tune as if you are traveling amongst the stars.
- Many songs from ZUN's new album, Ruins of Torifune ~ Trojan Green Asteroid counts, among them are Satellite Torifune, Ame-no-Torifune Shrine, Barrier of Ame-no-Torifune Shrine, a remix of Hartmann's Youkai Girl, and The Gensokyo That Floats in Outer Space. Unfortunately, ZUN's took down the videos since it's not derivative works. note .
- Magician's Melancholy from the Grimoire of Marisa.
- "Japanese Saga", "Child of Are" and "Fly above Hatoyama at night - Power MIX" from Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.
- IOSYS provides a beautiful remix by combining the three above into "Until the end of History". Anyone familiar with Fraxy probably recognises this one.
The whole libraries of albums overflowing with fanworks
- 5150 are a supergroup of Touhou fan-musicians who deliberately try to invoke the style of JAM Project with their works. More often than not, they succeed.
- A group behind several songs probably more well known than their actual circle name, Hatsunetsumiko is a lovely circle that provided the majority of the music used in Touhou Kinema Kan. As good as these songs are however, this circle has many other songs that are well worth a listen.
- The Poltergeist Mansion, a site devoted to all of the best arranges and mixes. The full collection of their uploads can be found here. Chaos Angel's "Lunasa" playlist covers Metal/Progressive Rock arranges and mixes, Emiya's "Merlin" playlist covers Classical arranges and mixes, and Moomaria's "Lyrica" playlist covers Techno/Trance arranges and mixes.
- This remix known as Hakurei Shrine Neighborhood Association Marching Song should be ranked among the top remixes in all of Touhou, along with these three remixes.
- Anything covered by marasy8 is awesome. The guy's so good, he's probably no longer human and has most likely become a Pianist youkai!
- While Yellow Zebra's vocal remix work may not as well known as, say, IOSYS, they do remarkable, infectious, dare we say radio-ready takes on Touhou. Ayakaze (remix of Wind God Girl), Scarlet Moon (remix of UN Owen Was Her?), I Know (remix of Locked Girl), and Melody! (remix of Phantom Ensemble) are pretty good places to start for their work.
- It had to happen eventually... but someone had the genius idea of doing Touhou/Hip-Hop mashups. And somehow it WORKS. Between crossing Eminem with UN Owen, Outkast with Flowering Night, to Jay-Z AND Linkin Park with Withered Leaf amongst other things...well, it shows how versatile the songs can be.
- Linky for when the Youtube links go dead.
- There was a hip-hop version of Necro-Fantasy on Sound Sepher's "Cradle" album from waaaay back (pre-IN), so the idea isn't exactly new. The interesting thing is that the lyrics sound like they're partially borrowed from a Bemani track. Necro-Fantasy.
- There're also the RED ZONE mashups, Scarlet Zone and Youkai Zone, which combines Red Zone with the Scarlet Sisters's and Koishi's themes.
- And if you think that Touhou music is good combined with other music, this combination of Meiling's theme and Suwako's theme shows it's even better when combined with itself.
- While we're at it, try some music from the Mystical Chain fangame: here, here, here, here and here. Refined Grandiose at its finest.
- Another notable Touhou fan-uploader is kkcwkoh.
- The entire soundtrack of the fangame Concealed The Conclusion.
- While there have been more than enough 8-bit style remixes, Hobby Atelier Carrot Wine does one better by creating a whole album of Mega Man-inspired remixes of the the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil themes plus extra. It's no small feat to make Locked Girl, Doll Maker of Bucharest, and Centennial Festival Magical Girls sound more dynamic than the originals, by DOWNGRADING THEM (in a purely and literally technical sense).
- Every EWI instrument theme made. Case in point - Reincarnation.
- Indy rock circle Saitama Saishuu Heiki, or S.S.H. for short, has done a number of Touhou remixes. In addition to the examples mentioned above, they've got a remix of Kaguya's theme Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess, and a magnificent little piece called Detroit Marisa City.
Marisa stole the precious metal.
- Anything and everything by CROW'S CLAW. Then again, they have songs called Kick Your Ass and Parental Advisory Explicit Guitar, so they can make any music awesome.
- CROW'S CLAW specializes in ridiculously badass metal covers of video game music; in addition to a full three albums worth of Touhou stuff, he has two Type-Moon cover albums (the second version of "Emiya", in particular, has to be heard to be believed) and one devoted to Final Fantasy music. They are all awesome.
- Here is a great compilation of damn near every windows boss theme.
- On a more focused scale, this medley of the EoSD themes as made by hapi.
- Now with a sequel using the themes from PCB.
- The Western Phantasm compilation by Otachiden is a great 18-minute mix of most of the Shuusou Gyoku and Kioh Gyoku themes, as well as some more obscure works by ZUN.
- What if one combined Cirno's theme with one of the best musics of the Mother series? Touhou Mother did it: It's Cirno's Unfounded Revenge, for the boss fight against Future Badass Advent Cirno.
- Speaking of Advent Cirno - a group of artists got together to make an "OST" for the doujin, and as is appropriate blended Touhou themes with tunes from Final Fantasy. For example...
- So there's a Mega Man-style fangame starring Marisa (and Alice)...and the music is mind blowingly awesome. Seriously.
- On that note, what happens when you cross Touhou with Pokémon? Some thing like this.
- The Japanese hardcore dance scene does quite a few remixes.
- The Castlevania-inspired fangame Koumajou Densetsu (Legend of the Scarlet Devil Castle), more colloquially called 'Touhouvania' (for obvious reasons) has some pretty good original music. And while it eschews remixes of existing Touhou songs, it DID get Chata to sing the opening theme, "Kirisome no" "Amnesia" (second version with natural violins). Which apparently has become a leitmotif in the second game.
- Dark A Liar may be a funny name, but the (old) final boss theme for Labyrinth of Touhou is extremely awesome.
- Why the "old?" Because this music showed up on a special disc to take its place, an orchestral piece that is simultaneously epic and heartbreaking.
- And then there's "Ikusa JAPAN," which may have been lifted from somewhere else, but will now forever be known as the theme music of MANnosuke.
- Celluloid might just be a normal battle theme for the second half of the game or so, but it's a masterful mix of upbeat and rocky elements, absolutely guaranteed to get you going!
- And with the sequel, you have this theme against 12th Floor Tenshi, showing you that this time they aren't holding back against you.
- A 26-minute mix of every final stage boss themes as of 12.3, including PC-98 ones.
- Now on Youtube. -Patcheresu
- Also, from the same authou, there's a 2-part medley with the extra boss themes up to FW, with some other songs included, like the fan-phantasm themes from Mountain of Faith and Subterranean Animism.
- A-zure's techno remixes of many of the songs.
- Apparently, Touhou music sounds good when parodying Iron Maiden. Yes.
- Jesselejohn has a collection of PC-98 and Seihou remasters and remaster-like remixes, some of which are linked on the other pages.
- The fangame Fantasy Explorer Nitroid by Desunoya includes awesome songs such as the World 4 Theme and an amazing Final Boss Theme.
- IOSYS are known for doing odd, often memetic things to Touhou songs. Here's one as a rap. A very competent, Japanese rap. Featuring Alice, Patchy, and Marisa.
- Demetori has done a ton of awesome rock/metal Touhou covers, with the occasional softer cover as well.
Songs in the Style of ZUN
Things have gotten to the point where people have begun making songs in the vein of the ZUN style, some for fan games, some just for the hell of it. Choice examples:
- The FamilyMart jingle (which reached meme status with Japanese fandom).
- The Donkey Kong Hammer theme (which also reached meme status with Japanese Fandom with several mashups), done in typical Touhou style.
- Rin Kagamine's signature theme, "MELTDOWN", is given the ZUN treatment in spectacular fashion.
- Various fanmade stage and boss themes for Damakufu, such as "The Kappa Way as Said ~ One Way Accelerator", Mitori's theme in the fan-made Phantasm Stage of Subterranean Animism.
- Mitori's stage theme "Leaf ponders the Flower, Flower ponders the Leaf".
- "Awakening Wolf's Instinct", Momiji's boss theme from the fan-made Phantasm stage to Mountain Of Faith.
- The fanmade Phantasm for UFO features an unexpectedly badass Nazrin, and the song "Outskirts of the Battle".
- And then another composer took another shot at it and managed to produce the musical equivalent of a ridiculously powerful mouse on crack backed by a carnival band who might also be on crack: "Crafty Tiny Gray".
- "Tonight's Rainfall", an EX-Stage theme for Daiyousei from the creator of many of the other ZUN-Alikes already on this list.
- With a fanmade Phantasm for Ten Desires comes the rowdy theme of Ibara Kasen, "Rumble Temple".
- Characters without stages also get their own themes: Hisoutensoku's fan-made final boss character Sasha Sashiromiya's "The Fake History of Black and Shadow ~ The Fake with High Quality", and Rin Satsuki's (the third player character cut from EoSD) "Cherry-Flavoured Justice ~ Descending Red" both deserve a mention.
- Kimiko Muffin, maker of Touhou Nekokayou, has some wonderful pieces to complement to series. "Aperture Girl" (Meimu's pre-battle theme), "Edge of Spacetime ~ Navy-Blue Generation" (Meimu's main theme), and "Subterranean God ~ Sunfire" (Yasora Kojiwa's theme) stand out above the rest.
- The fangame Marine Benefit has a soundtrack consisting of original music in ZUN's style, with slightly altered instruments to give it an underwater feel, and it is amazing. Practically the entire soundtrack deserves mention here. Some of the more noteworthy pieces:
- Another fangame: "The Last Comer" has a very good soundtrack as well; for example, the Extra Boss Elfin Mint's theme.
- Iesua Nazarenus's theme, "Mankind Salvation Plan ~ The Greatest Salvation", which, using prayer-like synth sounds, church bells and more, is truly fitting for Touhou's new Jesus Christ.
- Michel Sant'Angelo's Theme Bright Saint Michael. Its serious, low-pitch sounds, in addition to sounds of a church organ, makes it fitting to the angel closest to Iesua and god, yet it keeps the Touhou theme by using the classic synth trumpets.
- Seven Sea Girl, a theme for the fan-character Noriko, from the Walfas series, "White Flower of Summer". It's a very good theme for a ningyou, both young and bittersweet.
- Here's one for the Homestuck fans. (Alternate link if needed.)
- From the newest creation by the people behind The Last Corner, Mystical Power Plant, we have Tenmu Meteor~Royal Monster, the stage 4 boss theme.