Awesome Music: Touhou Modern Windows Era
aka: Touhou Windows Two
This page covers the music from Mountain of Faith
, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
, Subterranean Animism
, Undefined Fantastic Object
, Double Spoiler
, Great Fairy Wars
, Ten Desires
, Hopeless Masquerade
, Double Dealing Character
, and Impossible Spell Card
You can go back to music index via this link
open/close all folders
Mountain of Faith
- The Aki Sisters have pretty cool themes with "A God That Misses People ~ Romantic Fall" and "Because Princess Inada Is Scolding Me", and COOL&CREATE turns the cheerful song into something heart-rending.
- The Stage 2 theme, "The Road of the Apotropaic God ~ Dark Road" is definitely memorable, and not just for expanding one's vocabulary.
- This version by Hachimitsu-Kumasan is almost the complete opposite in mood to the original, but works stunningly well regardless.
- A vocal version by Alstroemeria Records, the same group that made the Bad Apple! vocal remix.
- "Dark Side of Fate", Hina's theme, has a good, fast-paced tempo, and really invokes the mental image of a spinning Hina.
- "The Gensokyo the Gods Loved", the stage 3 theme, is sometimes called the most beautiful stage theme in the series and the theme of Gensokyo itself.
- The stage 3 boss theme, "Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's 'Kappa' ~ Candid Friend", is memorable enough to have been chose as the source of a an fanmade anime opening of Mountain of Faith.
- While it seems to be overlooked compared to the Stage 3 theme, Stage 4's "Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall" is just as stellar.
- Here is a great vocal/rock remix by SYNC.ART'S.
- Aya's theme from Mountain of Faith: "The Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain". Also, here's Demetori`s rock remix.
- This rendition of Sanae's stage theme ("The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw") is beautiful.
- Sanae brings us "Faith is for the Transient People".
- FELT gives another stellar track with Blue Prayer.
- One of IRON ATTACK!'s vocalists helped to make "Rain in Vain" a piece to remember.
- The notable thing about "Faith" is that it makes a natural rocking beat, ideal for METAL remixes. Did you know that IOSYS's Pray can make it sound like a lullaby (which Kanako and/or Suwako may have used to help a little Sanae sleep)?
- Apparently, TAMusic figured out the same trick IOSYS did, and made "Faith" sound even sadder.
- This remix of "Faith" by Neutral is just wonderful.
- Demetori's got us covered here too, and it gets even more awesome when someone charts the drums to Rock Band 2 with undeniable skill.
- And NeutraL does it again to Faith in a sort of Spaghetti Western style right here.
- This version by Lime Green is notable for its style.
- This version by Liz Triangle is very calm and soothing.
- Kanako-sama's stage theme "Cemetery of Onbashira ~ Grave of Being", which is possibly the most epic stage theme in the series. And since Demetori can make anything awesome, here is his rendition of "Grave of Being".
- "The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field" can carry players through their countless attempts to finally capture "Virtue of Wind God". Good luck!
- The Extra stage music, "Tomorrow will be Special; Yesterday was Not", is a strong contender for best stage theme in the series.
- Suwako's theme, "Native Faith", for its cheerfulness and remixes.
- And now, people, we have Touhou Gregorian Chants! Yes, really... There is NO music genre, which was NOT used by Touhou fandom seemingly!
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
- The game's versions of "Locked Girl ~ Girl's Secret Room" and "Septette for the Dead Princess" exude grace and grandeur.
- The main title theme, "Sky of Scarlet Perception" is such a ridiculously epic piece of music for a video game that it isn't even funny.
- "The Ground's Color is Yellow", the theme of the destroyed Hakurei Shrine. A wild, frantic tune with some amazing violin-work, perfect for a fight amidst changing weather.
- "Crimson in the Black Sea ~ Legendary Fish" is pure classic ZUN and makes Iku's oar-fishy awesomeness apparent.
- "Bhava-agra As Seen Through a Child's Mind" (Tenshi's Last Spell theme music) is amazing for so many reasons.
- "Catastrophe in Bhava-agra", Tenshi's proper Leitmotif, is quite badass too.
- And then we have SOUND HOLIC'S Heartquake Super Shock. Aw man! It is so made of epic win! Now we have a PV version. GO TENSHI!!!
- It seems O-Life Japan has granted us this playful, yet somewhat strange, remix.
- Fox Factory's remix. This Orchestral arrange of Tenshi's theme is so grand, it WILL make you shiver with tears at how unbelievably grand it is.
- Yuuhei Satellite strikes again with "Kafuka naru Gunjou he".
- "Skies Beyond the Clouds" and "Flawless Clothing of the Celestials", Iku and Tenshi's pre-battle themes repsectively, are just as good, if not better, than their actual themes.
- Fox Factory also did a wonderful orchestral arrange of "Flawless Clothing of the Celestials". If you liked the original, this arrange will make you appreciate the song even more.
- Much like the title theme, the credits theme, "Oriental Sky of Scarlet Perception" is ridiculously epic for what it's set to.
- This full arranged version of the song from the OST makes it even more epic, if you can believe it.
- Yukari's theme, "Night Falls ~ Evening Star", is a fastpaced and crazy remix of her Immaterial and Missing Power theme that seems fitting for someone who would attack you with a surprise train.
- The Stage 1 music, "The Dark Blowhole".
- "The Sealed-Away Youkai ~ Lost Place", Yamame's theme.
- "The Bridge People No Longer Cross", the theme of Parsee's stage, as well as her main theme, "Green-Eyed Jealousy" — the combination of a simple melody and complex music works towards a more subtle awesome.
- The stage 3 theme "Walking the Streets of a Former Hell".
- Yuugi's theme, "A Flower-Studded Sake Dish on Mt. Ooe". It's very proud, boisterous and adventurous, perfectly fitting "Yuugi the Strong".
- Scarlatto di Levante made an excellent arrange of "Heartfelt Fancy", the Stage 4 theme.
- "Satori Maiden ~ 3rd eye" reminds us so much of the games of our youth.
- "Lullaby of Deserted Hell", the theme for stage 5.
- "Heartful Neko-romancer", an amazing remix of Orin's theme, "Corpse Voyage ~ Be of good cheer!", is just epic, they made it so much like "Thriller"!
- The final stage theme, "Hellfire Mantle", is pretty impressive too, though it doesn't get very much attention due to the misfortune of her actual boss theme being one of the series' most popular. It does, however, still get a few fantastic remixes, such as this one and this one, fit to be played behind even the most epic of fights to the death.
- If "Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion" doesn't make you think of epic battles with giant nuke-bullets, nothing will.
- This remix of Utsuho's theme are even more epic. It even has the CAUTION! CAUTION! warning sirens!
- O-Life Japan's first attempt at "Nuclear Fusion" sure sounds like a party in hell! Their second rendition, from their album Ishuu Gensyoko, has even better sirens that'll likely take your breath away when they start blaring.
- IRON ATTACK!'s "Blast from the Sun" will make your speakers reach critical mass.
- Yet another brilliant, klaxon-blaring remix, this time by ~xi-on~.
- Scarlatto di Levante gives us Gnosis the Heliolatry, a very well done classical arrange of Utsuho's theme.
- On the cute scale of things, Unyutei mixes Okuu's nuclear beat with the remix theme "USATEI".
- One wouldn't think that such an intense, highly aggressive song could translate so beautifully into a vocal arrangement, but CYTOKINE has done this with magnificence. Aki's hauntingly powerful voice wistfully details a descent from awe and innocence into fear and destruction at the hands of revolutionary power.
- There's also this, used in the greatest rendition of spellcard combat in existence.
- Utsuho would like to invite you to get fit with her!
- Demetori was here; you're all second class.
- Yohine delivers -The crow of 'YATA'- under the mantle of IOSYS. Yes, that IOSYS. Your soundcard's containment is now breached.
- Because Utsuho can never have enough metal, here's another one courtesy of Neutral.
- t=NODE fuses techno and orchestral, producing a badass song with a melancholy core.
- Magnum Opus would like to present to you Utsuho's magnum opus.
- C-CLAYS puts a bizarre, Middle-Eastern spin with this one, one comes out with something unique. And awesome. And then they did another version with Mai Kotoge's velvety vocals, lending Utsuho an unexpected mellowness.
- And on the somewhat disturbing end of the spectrum, EastNewSound blends their metal with terrifying synth auto-tune. Utsuho sounds like a merciless kill-bot, skipping and stuttering. And then she starts talking.
- Koishi's stage theme, "Last Remote", is one of the very best Extra Stage themes in Touhou.
- "Hartmann's Youkai Girl", Koishi's theme.
- dBu always does good Touhou arranges, and their arrange of "Hartmann's Youkai Girl", "Demon Tale Sonata", is no exception.
- This version done by KK Slider sounds pretty cool too.
- Koishi's theme is noteworthy because of its symmetry - it sounds very similar if you play it backwards, but also infinitely more disturbing, sort of like a musical Uncanny Valley. As one person put it, it sounds like the sounds are being sucked out of your head.
- A very claustrophobic sounding remix from O-Life Japan. Even when it goes quiet, it feels like she's gone into subconscious-mode.
- This is a "Whole new look on Koishi's Theme" indeed.
- The same theme, but arranged to sound like it belonged in the PC-98 era.
- The credits theme, "Energy Reimei ~ Future Dream", comes off as standard fare for its category, but DiGiTAL WiNG take it upon themselves to elevate it into a ridiculously epic Eurobeat tune, dubbed "PLAZMA". Unsurprisingly enough, a MMD video followed suit.
Undefined Fantastic Object
- UFO's first stage theme, "At the End of Spring", sets the atmosphere for the entire game with its energetic, joyful, toe-tappingly catchy melody.
- "A Tiny, Tiny, Clever Commander", Nazrin's theme and the best Stage 1 Boss theme in the series so far. It's unusually a rock song with pseudo-guitars.
- Tatara Kogasa would like to warn you to "Beware Of The Umbrella Left There Forever"!
- This rendition gives her a touch of flamenco.
- And this one by Unlucky Morpheus makes her rock the night out.
- Liz-Triangle makes this song overflow with sweetness. Enjoy Now indeed!
- Buta-Otome brings SHAFT-like visuals to the mix with touching lyrics and their own unique jazzy musical style with "My Awaited Won't Come".
- "Rainy Stars" by Kinema Kan is a beautiful song coupled with a great "Day In The Life" animation.
- In ANOTHER example of "Touhou goes with anything", try turning Kogasa's theme into a country song.
- The Stage 3 theme "Sky Ruin" has been really neglected by the fans so far, but O-life Japan has started remedying to this.
- "The Traditional Old Man and the Stylish Girl", Kumoi Ichirin (and Unzan)'s theme deserves to be on this list. IRON ATTACK! cranks up their amps to bring us this remix, "Arpeggio from High and Low".
- The Stage 4 theme and Murasa's theme, "Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship" and "Captain Murasa" deserves mention here, of course.
- "Rural Makai City Esoteria", the Stage 5 theme. Awesome sync with in-game sound effects and spinning projectile movement.
- "The Tiger Patterned Vaisravana", Shou's theme.
- The thing that makes it such a perfect song is how well it fits in-game. Other boss songs have a sort of chaotic energy bordering on playfulness (one big marker of ZUN's composition style), but Shou's theme eminates pure, raw power. And she earns it.
- dBu takes the song to even greater Power Levels.
- Another epic rock remix by Takase
- This remix transforms the song into a hymn of power straight out of the cosmos. The theremins are positively orgasmic.
- O-Life Japan delivers, yet again.
- On the other side of the coin, there's Yellow Zebra's version.
- Behold, the stage 6 theme, "Fires of Hokkai".
- Lucid Dream from EastNewSound & Chata is amazing. Then again, much featuring Chata is.
- "Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind", the final boss theme. Majestic and tragic, fitting Byakuren perfectly.
- From the EWI series comes this masterpiece.
- This remix by Sunpon is very beautiful yet driven.
- Liz-Triangle's vocal of Byakuren's theme is wonderful.
- "Skyscraper" by Pastry of BubbleRecords is another great piece based on Byakuren's theme.
- Courtesy of C77, SYNC ART'S gives us Emotional Rule.
- Combining this with her stage theme, "Fires of Hokkai", brings us this mix by Gauche.
- "Star River" proves that IOSYS has not lost their ability to make songs of incredible quality.
- Here, have two amazing piano versions.
- Demetori's metal version HAS to be listed.
- As usual, Tutti Sound created an epic version worthy of the Youchrist.
- Instead of making this theme even more booming, instead they softened it up with Skyscraper of Passion. It's one of there best mixes.
- This orchestral masterpiece by Sound.AVE uses both Byakuren's stage and boss themes, and creates a relentless stream of eargasm.
- Hydrangea by Sound Online will make you cry in joy for the epic vocal remix.
- The remix by ~xi-on~, whose techno beats paint a lovely picture of a truly epic final battle with the most peaceful Touhou character of them all.
- Ryu-5150's JAM Project-style arrangement, "Burning Heart", is so heroic it hurts - but that's part of the fun.
- Yuuhei Satellite's "Emotional Chemistry" brings in more senya vocal goodness.
- The Extra Stage theme, "UFO Romance in the Night Sky", is a very playful song, very befitting of its name and the concept of the Extra Stage as a search into the mystery behind the UFOs you've been seeing throughout the game. Noteworthy for containing a small sound effect which became known as a laughing youkai.
- A flurry of remixes has hit the internet in the days following the release of UFO. Most of them were of "Heian Alien", the Extra boss theme.
Hisoutensoku, expanding on SWR
- Reimu's remixed spellcard theme, "Mystic Oriental Love Consultation", is very badass, and very Fatal KO-esque.
- Alice gets a throwback to her PC-98 days with "The Grimoire of Alice".
- Sanae breaks out her old clubroom guitar to belt out a new version of her theme "Faith Is For The Transient People".
- Utsuho brings along a nice remix of "Sun Worship of Gnosis ~ Nuclear Fusion".
- Cirno receives a very jazzy remix.
- Meiling finally gets a Hot-Blooded arrangement of her theme along with her first true fighting game appearance (she was patched in to IaMP and didn't have a theme or story mode).
- There's the final boss theme of Story Mode, "Unknown X ~ Unfound Adventure", which while being suitably lighthearted, is also pretty grand and fitting of a boss battle.
- Suwako's Last Spell theme, "The Floating Objects in the Sky X", is also amazing for the final battle high above in the skies of Gensokyo.
- The game's opening/menu theme, "Did You See That Shadow?". A wonderful remix of "Evening Sky" from SWR. And it's so dramatic! (Fitting for the game's scenario, though!)
- There's also one of the Story mode cutscene themes, "Our Hisou Tensoku". It's quite a shame actually that it's only a cutscene theme. It would be even better for the final battle than "Unknown X ~ Unfound Adventure".
- The staff roll theme, "The Eternal Steam Engine", sounds amazing, and it's the first time you'll hear bagpipes in Touhou. Bagpipes!
Great Fairy Wars
- Ten Desires' soundtrack has two "layers" to it: the normal versions (as above), and the Spirit World versions, played when you enter the game's Trance Mode. Playing them both together makes the themes that bit more awesome.
- The first stage's theme, "Night Cherry Blossoms of Dead Spirits" is strikingly beautiful, especially the piano. You'd only expect to hear a piece like this during the final stages.
- Yuyuko's new theme, "Ghost Lead", is very frantic but also a bit playful. It's also the first theme to have ZUN's trumpets return, reminding everyone that Yuyuko is powerful, but she's just messing around and isn't really a true threat anymore.
- The second stage theme, "Welcome to the Youkai Temple" has a nice spunky beat, perfect for the mischievous spirit theme of the game.
- The second boss Kyouko's theme, "Youkai Girl at the Gate", has nice music switches that fit a youkai of echoes.
- The third boss's theme, "Rigid Paradise" is the perfect theme for new girl Yoshika Miyako, who just happens to be a stiffly Jiangshi.
- The third stage's theme also deserves a mention. "Let's live in a wonderful cemetary" sounds a bit strange when you first hear it, but fits surprisingly well and provides an enchanting atmosphere.
- C-Clays turned "Wonderful Cemetary" into a country song, "Sweet Home".
- SOUND HOLIC delivers once again with a delightfully energetic tune, "Jive at the Graveyard".
- "Desire Drive", the Stage 4 theme, is an upbeat tune that will make you want to dance. Or shoot down fairies and spirits while flying at high speeds through an underground tunnel.
- It also translates to the PC-98 midi and NES quite well.
- A surprisingly good remix changed the intense feel of the original into a somewhat relaxed feel.
- This vocal remix keeps the intense tone but in a more lively way.
- And speaking of Stage 4, Seiga Kaku's theme, "Old Yuanxian", has a fun, fast paced rhythm, perfect for the fight against her and Yoshika.
- The Stage 5 theme, "Dream Palace Great Mausoleum". It's a more peaceful, soothing Stage 5 theme, but it's still a good theme.
- Mononobe no Futo's theme, "Legend of The Great Gods". Not as intense as Seiga's theme, but it's still quite boss-like.
- The Stage 6 theme "Starry Sky of Small Desires". It's all DJ like, yet fitting for when you encounter Miko. As such, has much UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ.
- Toyosatomimi no Miko's theme, "Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator", starts off calm, then quickly picks up the pace and gradually turns into a song fitting of the final boss and ancient saint.
- Mamizou Futatsuiwa's theme, "Futatsuiwa from Sado", is very light, fun, and upbeat for an Extra Boss. Such a playful theme is fitting for what many believe to be a very goofy-looking Extra Boss, with very fun and... interesting spell cards.
- "This Dull World's Unchanging Pessimism", the title screen that was previously used in the trailer, is pretty cool.
- Reimu rocks out with a remix of "Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path".
- Marisa's theme, "Magus Night", is an awesome arrange that trades the original's intensity for strings and piano.
- Ichirin gets a jazzy remix of her theme, "The Traditional Old Man and the Stylish Girl".
- Byakuren's theme, "Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind" is fast-paced and somewhat relaxed.
- Futo combines many different cultures with "Legend of the Great Gods".
- Miko's "Shotoku Legend ~ True Administrator" carries a similar intensity to the original.
- Nitori apparently took up the flute, as her theme, "Akutagawa Ryunnosuke's Kappa ~ Candid Friend", shows.
- Koishi's theme, "Hartmann's Youkai Girl", is just as mysterious and jumpy as she is.
- Mamizou has two awesome themes which both do the original justice:
- The theme for Hata no Kokoro, "Lost Emotion", accurately portrays the finality of the battle and the personality of Hata no Kokoro. Bonus points for it also being the theme for her final boss fight. After all, this is her story.
- Twilight Frontier seem to have decided to put an incredibly badass song that most people will only hear a fraction of in every Touhou game they make. The Last Word theme, Last Word Unleashed only ever plays for a few seconds and quite possibly exceeds even "Our Hisou Tensoku" in awesomeness.
Double Dealing Character
- The title theme, "Mysterious Exorcism Rod", has a foreboding; yet whimsical tone to it that's very pleasing to listen to.
- "Mist Lake", the stage 1 theme, has a light tune with a hint of resolve. Perfect for a fresh start to a new adventure.
- Kou Ogata of k-waves LAB created a short remix with an Irish touch.
- Wakasagihime's theme, "Mermaid From The Uncharted Land", blasts us with some rocking metal before shifting to the more familiar repeating rhythm usually associated with stage 1 bosses.
- The stage 2 theme, "Humans and Youkai Coming and Going at the Canal", has a vaguely mysterious feel to it. Rather fitting for when Sekibanki does her surprise head trick half-way through the stage.
- Sekibanki's actual theme, "Dullahan Under the Willows", has very catchy metal segments along with bringing to mind a feeling of playfulness at some parts, and seriousness at others.
- The stage 3 theme, "Bamboo Forest of the Full Moon", has a very energetic and frantic feel to it, along with containing a portion of the piano for "Retribution for the Eternal Night" mid-way through.
- Kagerou's theme, "Lonesome Werewolf", has a very sinister sounding opening, which eventually gives way to an elegant segment of ZUN's signature trumpets. Quite befitting for the composed yet deadly werewolf.
- "Magical Storm" has a heavy but rhythmic feel to it. Combined with the lightning flashes in the background of the stage itself, and you have yourself a rather electrifying stage 4 theme.
- The Tsukumo sisters theme, "Illusionary Joururi", is a gorgeous mix of modern and traditional instruments, perfectly fitting the two instrument tsukumogami.
- The stage 5 theme, "The Shining Needle Castle Sinking In The Air", has a serene yet incredibly eerie feel to it. One could say that it's the calm before the storm for Seija's appearance.
- An amazing piano remix of the theme made it sound even more lonely and eerie.
- Seija's theme, "Reverse Ideology", is incredibly fast-paced and mischievous sounding, suiting her chaotic and reversed nature.
- "The Exaggerated Castle Keep", the stage 6 theme, is calm, yet with a feeling of direness, containing a portion of Little Princess's tune.
- Shinmyoumaru's theme, "Dwarf Castle of Shining Needles ~ Little Princess", exudes a dignified and powerful aura for such a small person.
- The extra stage theme, "Thunderclouds of Magical Power", has an ominous yet uplifting feel to it.
- Raiko's theme, "Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat", is unique in that it heavily features percussion along with the usual instruments in ZUN's repertoire. And it works.
- "Magical Power of the Mallet", the ending theme, is an absolutely beautiful rendition of Little Princess.
- The staff roll theme, "Strange, Strange Instruments", is a simultaneously energetic and calm remix of Mysterious Exorcism Rod.
Impossible Spell Card