Awesome Music: Touhou Early Windows Era
aka: Early Windows Era
This page covers the music from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
, Perfect Cherry Blossom
, Immaterial and Missing Power
, Imperishable Night
, Phantasmagoria of Flower View
and Shoot The Bullet
You can return to the music index via this link
open/close all folders
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- The stage 1 theme "A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry" has an epic, if somewhat odd, namenote , and an equally epic classical remix.
- O-Life Japan delivers a a delightful piece that begins ominous then becomes supremely energetic.
- Rumia's theme, "Apparitions Stalk the Night", is the most cheerful theme of a darkness creature in history.
- Cirno's "Tomboyish Girl in Love" is made of love.
- She's getting tired of being called an idiot all the time, though.
- Liz Triangle's "Heart of Glass" is a beautiful vocal arrange of Cirno's theme.
- Cirno's "Tokimeki Frozen Pack". Your teeth are already dead from the sweetness.
- Liverne's remix is so heavily retooled, it barely sounds recognisable... and yet it's wonderfully haunting. (The arranger is the secretive Kurenainagi Tabibito, who also did Keine's theme and... not much else. Which is a shame, because his/her work is amazing.)
- Chiruno, Chiruno, Chiruno, Chiruno, Chiruno...
- "Chirumiru, chirumiru genki, chirumiru!" ("Genki da yo~")
- Virus Key gives us the Cirno waltz.
- A beautiful piece brought to you by k-waves lab.
- What do you get when you combine Cirno's theme with her awesome stage music? Some epic orchestra!
- And now, for a Homestuck remix, Heir Conditioning. Also has "Complete Darkness" and "Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion".
- In appreciation of the little ice fairy, Tohoho Orchestra created another gorgeous version.
- Tutti Sounds rendition of Cirno's theme.
- IOSYS goes old school with '80's guitar rock.
- Lunate Elf could be considered as Daiyosei's theme. Unfortunately, they are both overshadowed by Cirno and her theme.
- "Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17", Hong Meiling's theme, is great.
- On the subject of Meiling, her stage music, "Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea".
- Patchouli's theme, "Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room" is pretty ominous and epic sounding, quite appropriate for the spike in difficulty the game has at the point of this battle..
- "Voile, The Magic Library", Patchouli's stage theme, may not be the best song from the game, but it's a quite nice tune. It fits the stage mode really well.
- Sakuya's battle theme, "Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial". ZUN was right - maids go well with hard rock!
- "The Young Descendant of Tepes", Remilia's stage music, is easily overshadowed by what comes after it but still deserves mention.
- "Septette for the Dead Princess", Remilia's theme, is so popular, arranges, remixes, and vocal versions of it are extremely widespread!
- O-Life Japan managed to make a rather regal rendition.
- The versatile circle FELT produced an achingly sad piano and vocal piece entitled Endless Pain.
- S.S.H. has remixed it.
- TAMUSIC's violin + Remilia's theme = Awesome.
- After this Fan Vid, Innocent Key's "Touhou Sweets! The Cruel Sisters and the Suffering Maid", you'll never see Remilia or Sakuya the same way again.
- In the IOSYS song "Such Adorable Scarlets Can't Possibly Be My Mistresses", Sakuya finally shows her perverted side. It's not as sexually suggestive as the above vid, but...yeah.
- Here, have a wonderful piano version, courtesy of SOUND HOLIC.
- And here's another epic piano arrangement.
- Behold Remi's true CHARISMA.
- A beautiful orchestral arrange by Nazz-can.
- Remi Remi Remi~ Ah ooh ah ooh ah~
- And now for something completely different, a fantastic orchestral version, courtesy of Kitsune's Worshop.
- For a really emotionally-weighted rendition, SOUND HOLIC gives us this gem "Pričre " from their -Kurenai- album. The fanvid is incredibly good, and was a major fan favourite over Halloween.
- Sonic Hispeed Omega weighs in with this awesome symphonic metal arrange of Remilia's theme.
- "Dectet, Nonet, Octet", courtesy of the ever-amazing Morrigan of WAVE, is the perfect theme for a terror of the night, and even has a bonus "U.N. Owen" at the end.
- This transcendental piano version by the wonderful Shiraha is not only a slice of heaven, but is also an actual septet.
- Although less known, Nashimoto-P lends his awesome guitar to help create Scarlet Myrtle along with Tonon's vocals.
- Opposite World is a fantastic vocal arrangement used as the ED for the Memories of Phantasm Fanime.
- Then there's this remix, which starts with classical and the shifts into facemelting metal.
- Remilia meets X Japan? Yes, it's just as awesome as it sounds.
- What would a mellow night with Remilia in Rio de Janeiro sound like? Something like this.
- Although it's not IOSYS's usual genre, they released a rock album that had an amazing rock remix.
- No Life Queen a Eurobeat by SOUND HOLIC. Careful, the urge to dance or drive dangerously may occur.
- Flandre's boss theme, "U.N. Owen was Her?", conveys perfectly that feeling of "Holy crap I'm going to die!"
- The Extra Stage theme, "The Centennial Festival for Magical Girls" is a swell tune... With practically no remixes.
- "Crimson Tower ~ Eastern Dream...", the credits theme, is a peaceful and upbeat theme at the same time, and comes along really well after the final battle is over.
Perfect Cherry Blossom
- Mystic Dream - Snow or Cherry Petal, the title theme is a very nice piano theme that is a medley of past songs in the series.
- "Paradise ~ Deep Mountain", the stage 1 theme is often overlooked, but the remixes really bring this awesome tune to life:
- And not to be outdone, Letty's boss theme, "Crystallized Silver", is worth a listen.
- Chen's theme, "Withered Leaf", is just so playful and upbeat <3
- Alice's theme "Doll Judgment ~ The Girl who Played with People's Shapes" and stage theme "The Doll-Maker of Bucharest" are both classics.
- "The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky", the theme for Stage 4.
- "Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble" from the Prismriver fight, aka Perfect Cherry Blossom's Those Three Bosses. The best part is how, even in the original, you can make out the girls' signature instruments, plus lots more from their signature instrument styles, and how you can tell when each sister enters the song.
- "Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple", the stage 5 theme, is the perfect introduction to the Netherworld and its guardener.
- This vocal remix combining Ancient Temple and Japanese Dream is just simply epic.
- IOSYS steps in once more and has done quite an exceptionally faithful vocal remix to Youmu as a servant of Yuyuko.
- This arrange combines Morrigan's glorious orchestra with some stunning vocals to create a continuous eargasm.
- Cutoff Thread by Buta-Otome puts Ranko's amazing vocals to work on this piece, and it just works so well.
- Demetori uses the power of rock to turn Ancient Temple into fun in musical format.
- And a fun vocal arrangement.
- Riverside, fun and sounds a bit adventurous.
- Didn't think Ancient Temple could be done as Eurobeat? Think again, A-one-'s Adequate succeeds and even makes the song symbolic of Youmu's loyalty to Yuyuko but also her desire to see the world outside of the Netherworld, as well as her existance as a as both a living human and a ghost.
- Speaking of Eurobeat, NJK records goes against their standard and instead gives us imitation, a kind of tribal/rock remix.
- TAMUSIC gives us two beautiful remixes, one focusing on the piano and the other on the violin.
- C-CLAY's Top of the Stairway is powerful and elegant.
- Silver Forest and Jimang bring us Natsumi Bomb, your ears can't comprehend the awesome.
- Youmu's theme, "Hiroari Shoots A Strange Bird ~ Till When?"
- The final stage music, "The Ultimate Truth", really underscores the fact you're heading into a dramatic and emotional climax. The original is energetic and fast-paced, but Diverse System's remix is more sedate and poignant, something you can imagine playing when Yuyuko realizes who she's trying to resurrect...
- For piano enthusiasts, there's this lengthy piece, by Pizuya's Cell. The shifting tone and force seem to mimic Youmu's personality, at times powerful and harsh, and others quiet and reserved.
- "Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome - Border of Life" (A mix between soothing and tension, very appropriate for a cute yet very much lethal boss).
- This spectacular orchestral arrange of Border of Life by WAVE goes beyond awesome and ascends into the realm of epic.
- If WAVE's remix is "Border of Life" made epic, this remix by =Neutral= is "Border of Life" after taking a level in badass.
- Border of Life. Just when you thought it couldn't get more epic, here comes the Unlucky Morpheus arrangement which should count as one of the most epic pieces of Metal ever made.
- SOUND HOLIC's "Drive My Life" turns Yuyuko's theme into some of the most awesome driving music ever. They also have Perfect Cherry Blossom, an epic rock arrahge.
- With this one, Lily-an of the group Liz-Triangle lends her beautiful voice.
- Making a good vocal rearrangement of "Border of Life" may seem impossible (well, except for WAVE's version, of course)... until one hears this awesome vocal arrangement by Neutral2, sung by Tamari. It remixes both Yuyuko's theme and "Ultimate Truth", her great but often overlooked stage theme. The result is... wonderful.
- Virus Key gives Yuyuko both their glorious orchestral treatment, then combines that with "Necrofantasia" (read below).
- The circle EastNewSound gives us the beautiful and awesome "Shisou Rinne, Reirou No Tsui".
- And for something completely different, we have this cute and energetic arrange by the circle Silver Forest.
- Another excellent submission comes from FELT, with their deceptively upbeat Flower Flag.
- Kitsune Workshop gives us another beautiful rendition, which mixes a brief piano solo into the orchestral music.
- Yuuhei Satellite adds vocals to the mix.
- "Border of Life", Yuyuko's second theme, certainly qualifies, especially when combined with the boss fight itself. Yuyuko appears to be defeated, everything goes silent, then she suddenly reappears for one last Spell Card attack, which is also a survival card. The music starts at a relatively soft volume, and as you dodge wave after wave of bullets, it gradually builds up and crescendos, culminating in the triumphant climax during the final wave as the game briefly goes into Bullet Time, an explosion occurs around Yuyuko, and all the bullets turn into point items and are absorbed. The triumphant music also continues into the results screen (unlike with previous levels' results screens) as your collected items and extra lives and such are tallied and converted into bonus points, furthering the climactic effect.
- O-Life Japan takes their electronic guitar to "Border of Life", and it results in what can only be best described as a multiple eargasm.
- The Extra Stage theme, "Charming Domination", and its Phantasm Stage counterpart, "Charming Domination ~ Who done it?", are arguably part of the better Extra Stage themes in the series. They are incredibly well-suited for the portions leading up to two very epic boss fights.
- Ran Yakumo's theme "A Maiden's Illusionary Funeral ~ Necro-Fantasy", is full of win. Yukari's theme, "Necrofantasia", featured next on this page, is actually an arranged version of this theme.
- "Necrofantasia": It's a perfect theme for a one woman badass Ancient Tradition who could do basically anything to you or the world you're in but prefers to sleep and is actually quite kind.
- "Sakura, Sakura ~ Japanize Dream...", PCB's credits theme, is unbelievably relaxing. This piano version is even better.
Immaterial and Missing Power
- "Demystify Feast", the Pre-Battle Theme for the 5th Story Mode fight.
- Yukari's new theme, "Night Falls ~Evening Star", portrays her true personality even better, with its fast and frenetic tempo that hints of both playfulness and tension.
- Suika's pre-battle conversation theme "Broken Moon" and stage theme "Onigashima in the Fairyland ~ Missing Power".
- And of course we get new versions of previous themes. Have a listen to "Dance of Witches" (a remix of "Witches' Ball", see the "Seihou" section below), "Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial", "Voile, Magic Library" and, of course "Septette for the Dead Princess".
- The credits theme, "Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream", is just awesome in every way (except for being so short ;_;).
- Even the menu themes can be - no, are pretty good. Case in point: "Eternal Night Vignette ~ Eastern Night", probably one of the most chilling menu themes you'll ever listen to.
- The wonderful Stage 1 music "Illusionary Night ~ Ghostly Eyes".
- Kissing the Mirror gives us "Declare of Exception", an awesome power metal arrange of Wriggle's stage theme.
- Eclipced(sic). Par for the course when we're talking about Crow'sClaw, really.
- Everfades took this theme and created the outstandingly beautiful Blue Tears Night, with or without TAMusic's violin.
- Then, there's the ever-excellent classical version by Yuki Mizuhashi.
- Wriggle gets things going with this Stage 1 Boss theme, "Stirring an Autumn Moon ~ Mooned Insect".
- The Stage 2 theme "Song of the Night Sparrow ~ Night Bird" eloquently plays the idea that night time's burning and you gotta hurry. Also coincides with the tune that maybe Mystia is actually a very lonely bird who might've been trying to make friends and failed.
- It seems only fitting that Mystia's theme "Deaf to all but the Song", contains such a fantastic melody.
- And here's one of the (relatively speaking) few remixes of it, from dBu's Eternal Nocturne album.
- And here's SOUND HOLIC's "Die Lorelei ~ eine Sage vom Rhein", a beautiful and awesome orchestral arrange of Mystia's theme.
- Here's a mix of undiluted awesomeness, badassery, and melody to complete your day.
- WAVE give us a version that is a combination of soothing and intense.
- "Nostalgic Blood of The East ~ Old World" and "Plain Asia", Keine's stage and boss themes respectively, are often overlooked, which only serves to make the remixes all the more amazing, as Virus Key and ARA demonstrate.
- Want more proof? Try listening to this arrange of Plain Asia by Dark PHOENiX.
- This version of "Old World" by El Dorado is delightfully sinister.
- This masterpiece by Tenmon will draw streams of tears from even the hardest of souls.
- Need moar epic strings? Don't worry, TAM has you covered.
- This version is reminiscent of bull-fighting. Also mixed in is some "Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke".
- This version from the album Negligent Maximum tune !!, Bloody Haven, is a wonderful demonstration how the descriptors "techno", "electronic", "hardcore" and "trance" can fit into a single piece.
- SHI's gorgeous piano creates a version that can only be described as wonderfully soothing.
- FELT's usual brand of stellar vocals and upbeat synth makes a masterpiece with Runway Drive.
- Yuuhei Satellite's "Labyrinth" doesn't trail far behind, either.
- "Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle" Reimu's theme from the days of yore, making a come-back among the fandom. Very intense feeling, and an amazing piano line.
- Throw in "Love-coloured Master Spark" for Marisa too.
- The Twilight Symphony remix slows the tempo down, adds an orchestra and ominous vocals, and overall causes dangerous levels of Epic.
- And then there's IOSYS's I Am Marisa, which is incredibly badass.
- Not nearly as badass as the "Final Master Spark".
- And IOSYS takes back the crown with another remix of "I Am Marisa".
- Also from IOSYS, "I've Developed Precious Feelings for Alice". And if anyone has the time, please translate and/or transcribe it.
- IRON ATTACK delivers the Hot-Blooded awesome with Sparking.
- What happens when you take Beatmario and Amane from COOL&CREATE and Morrigan from WAVE and have them work on a song together? You get "Endless Dream", a remix of both Reimu and Marisa's themes which simply cannot be described in human words.
- For something completely different, a slow, relaxing vocal version.
- Not convinced that Master Spark is Hot-Blooded enough? Have a taste of this!
- Morrigan's masterpiece version is exhilarating, sinister, powerful, almost religious, and epic beyond reason. It could even exceed his "Border of Life" arrange.
- Demetori gives us an excellent metal version with Final Sorcery.
- Stage 4's own theme "Retribution for the Eternal Night ~ Imperishable Night". While the first thing you'll notice is that it's a mix of the title theme with a few quarts of adrenaline added, you'll soon find yourself getting restless and impatient as you speed through the forest, blasting through the cannon-fodder fairies. As the music swells to levels usually reserved for 6th or Extra stages, you will know that only a real boss can follow this stage up. Then, as the song climaxes, the screen flashes white, all hindrances vanishing - cue the youkai laughter at the end of the music's loop, followed by the boss flying in.
- The stage 5 theme "Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome-Kagome" is so good it's often considered Tewi's definitive theme song over her dedicated tune from Phantasmagoria of Flower View.
- "Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon" (Reisen's theme) has a beautiful high note.
- Try two fantastic piano arranges.
- IOSYS do a very crazy remix...then remix it AGAIN. It gets scary.
- You think that's crazy? Well, listen to this. Manipulator of insanity, indeed.
- Here's a soothing arrange.
- SYNC ARTS gives us the wonderful vocal arrangement "Rendezvous".
- "Voyage 1969 - Illusion of Space" for The Very Definitely Final Dungeon in space.
- "Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon" (Eirin's theme); This is just epic in every way.
- "Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess" Kaguya's theme too. Aw heck, nearly every boss theme qualifies for this.
- For a gentle, emotional, and maybe a little bittersweet take, look no further than FELT's Under Cloud. Great vocals, or greatest vocals?
- Kaguya's theme also brings us this ear worm. HELP ME, EIRINNNNNNNNNNNNN!
- IOSYS gives us The Hourai Jewel, Ever Beautiful.
- Not to mention a down right fantastic remix by S.S.H.
- Gentlemen. GENTLEMEN. Morrigan is back, and gives us the epic and awesome "Luna Forest".
- Tutti Sound, being epic as usual, make "Lunatic Princess" even more beautiful and majestic.
- senya of Yuuhei Satellite brings about the soaringly powerful "Riot of Flowers".
- "Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke" (Mokou's theme); Very good dynamic to it.
- Mokou's stage theme, "Extend Ash ~ Hourai Victim", is even better.
- The ending theme, "Evening Primrose".
- For a rather soothing remix that kicks ass check this out. Unfortunately not that much is known about the song.
- The Last Word theme "Eastern Youkai Beauty".
- Here's a couple. Try a rock version, and then a techno variant.
- IOSYS has Darkness and Light, an epic piece truly fitting for what the original song is for: all the various characters in the game throwing out some of the hardest danmaku they can manage.
Phantasmagoria of Flower View
- Just about every returning character from the previous Touhou games gets an upgraded theme. Among them...
- Aya brings her theme song, "Wind God Girl" to the table.
- "Poison Body ~ Forsaken Doll" Medicine Melancholy's theme, a quite dramatic number for a somewhat underrated Touhou character.
- This mashup of Medicine's theme with the Nutcracker Suite, by Riva of TATAMI STUGIWO, puts a whole new spin on the little poison doll.
- And in case you wanted an epic and dramatic arrange of Medicine's theme, WAVE has you covered.
- Yuka's theme, "Gensokyo, Past and Present ~ Flower Land", has a sort of nostalgic feeling to it — perfect for a returning PC-98 character like her!
- Komachi's theme, "Higan Retour ~ Riverside View".
- "Mound of Life", a simple pre-battle theme, is essentially a prelude to the awesomeness that is the Yama of Xanadu's theme music.
- Demetori takes a break from the heavy metal to bring us "Unnamed Scenery", a mesmerizing acoustic arrange that's relaxing, but with a hint of uneasy anticipation for what is to come.
- Eiki Shiki brings along the awesome "Judgement in the Sixtieth Year - Fate of Sixty Years".
- "The Flower Like The Fantasy", the ending theme.
Shoot The Bullet