- David Newman received an Academy Award nomination for the score to the animated film Anastasia, following his father, Alfred Newman, who scored the 1956 live-action version.
- In WALL•E, the soundtrack features excerpts from "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" and "It Only Takes a Moment" (both sung by Michael Crawford) from the film Hello, Dolly! (1969). Coincidentally, Thomas Newman's uncle Lionel worked on Hello, Dolly!
- Joey Newman, grandson of Lionel Newman, began a fruitful collaboration with his cousin Randy Newman, providing orchestrations for Universal's Seabiscuit and later Disney/Pixar's Cars.
- Altogether, the members of this musical clan have been nominated for 70 Oscars, with Alfred winning nine, Lionel winning one, and Randy winning two Oscars.
open/close all folders
The patriarch and the most influential composer to ever wield a baton in Hollywood. Also has two brothers who were also composers and conductors of their own right: Lionel Newman (who took over the position of head of music after he left in 1960 and was instrumental in the careers of John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith and also won an Oscar for his work on Hello, Dolly!) and Emil Newman (who was nominated for an Oscar for musical direction on the classic Sun Valley Serenade). Nominated for 45 Oscars and took home nine!
- The fanfare that became the unofficial theme of the movie industry.
- Prologue from All About Eve.
- Main Title from The Diary of Anne Frank.
- Suite from How Green Was My Valley.
- Suite from The Robe.
- Prologue / Main Title from David and Bathsheba.
- Resurrection and Ascension from The Greatest Story Ever Told.
- Main Title from A Man Called Peter.
- Street Scene from How to Marry a Millionaire.
- Cathy's Theme from Wuthering Heights.
- Suite from Down To The Sea in Ships.
- Farewell of Farewells from The Song of Bernadette.
- Main Title from Love Is A Many Splendored Thing.
- Opening Theme from Airport. (This was his final score.)
- Main Title from Anastasia.
- Main Title from The Bravados.
- "The Best of Everything" from The Best of Everything.
- Suite from How the West Was Won.
- Conquest from Captain from Castile.
Son of Alfred, brother to Thomas, and cousin to Randy. He is an accomplished violinist, and successful concert conductor.
- From Galaxy Quest.
- "Spirit Kisses Sand from The Spirit''.
- Theme from The Mighty Ducks.
- Main Title from The Nutty Professor.
- "Opening Travel Music" from Ice Age.
- From Matilda:
- From Serenity:
- "Escaping The Island" from The Phantom.
- "The Storm" from The Brave Little Toaster.
Another son of Alfred. He has received a total of ten Academy Award nominations, although as of 2011, he has yet to win the award (he does, however, have an Emmy for Six Feet Under). For WALL•E'', see AwesomeMusic.Pixar.
- From Road to Perdition:
- From Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events:
- From the HBO mini-series Angels in America:
- From The Shawshank Redemption:
- From American Beauty:
- From Little Women:
- From The Horse Whisperer:
- From The Adjustment Bureau:
- From Skyfall:
- From The Help:
- From The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:
- From The Iron Lady:
Alfred's nephew, known more as a songwriter but is still famous for his film scores (and songs). He has received twenty Oscar nominations and won twice for Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story 3; he also won three Emmys, one for Cop Rock and two for Monk. See AwesomeMusic.Disney and AwesomeMusic.Pixar for more.
- "A Fool in Love" from Meet the Parents.
- From The Natural:
- From Pleasantville:
- From Leatherheads:
- Suite from Maverick.
- From Awakenings: