Awesome Music: A Certain Magical Index
Being a long-running Light Novel with a popular Spin-Off, both of which have currently two seasons of animated adaptation each, A Certain Magical Index (as well as A Certain Scientific Railgun) brings a great deal of songs to the table, and all of them are awe-inspiring.
- All four openings ("PSI-missing", "masterpiece", "No buts!" and "See visionS") are great songs.
- Index's Theme Music Power-Up, "jellyfish", is freaking awesome!
- Episode 12 of Index Season 1 gave us a very nice insert song called "Ame".
- "King of Witch Hunters (Majou Kari no Ou)", "Overdrive", "Turnabout (Gyakuten)", and "Breakthrough" all deserve mention. For that matter, "Imagine Breaker (Gensou Goroshii)" deserves just mention too, being the origin and base for Breakthrough.
- The second season has some downright brutal battle theme songs: "Greater Power (Kyoudai no Chikara)", "Scheme (Sakubou)" and "A Shadow Draws Near (Semaru Kage)", which also doubles as Accelerator's new theme song. Who says anime fights and trance music can't go well together?!
- The second OST gives us "New Fight (Arata Naru Tatakai)", "Large-scale Magic (Dai Majutsu)" and "The Queen's Fleet (Joou Kantai)". Also, "Hymn (Seika)" supplies our daily dose of Soundtrack Dissonance when Accelerator awakens and punches Kihara so hard the man burns up in the fucking atmosphere while flying away.
- The theme song to The Movie, "FIXED STAR", also deserves a mention.
- The Spin-Off, A Certain Scientific Railgun, has its own in its OP, "only my railgun".
- For more great music, listen to the second opening, "LEVEL5 -judgelight-" and "late in autumn".
- From the OVA, we got "future gazer" while from the video game we got "way to answer".
- The second season, Railgun S, gives us the epic openings, "sister's noise" and "eternal reality".
- "Electric Chase" is the perfect theme song of Mikoto's tsundere side, so much so that it was reused in the second season of Index!
- The soundtrack used in Railgun is just as amazing as the music used in Index. You have "Tokiwadai Junior High (Tokiwadai Chuugakkou)", "This is Judgement! (Judgement desu no!)", "battle area", "Tokiwadai Dormitory (Tokiwadai Joshiryou)", "high speed", and "Evening at Academy City (Gakuen Toshi no Yuugure)".
- The Miracle of Endymion adds more to the list, especially the insert songs from Arisa Meigo (singer: Sachika Misawa): "Telepath ~Hikari no Tou~", "ATARIMAE no Kyori", "Brand New Bright Step", "Gloria", "Ashita, Hareru Kana", and "OVER" (topped by a duet with Yōko Hikasa at the movie's climax). The score itself reintroduces familiar re-arranges of "Hey, Touma!" and "Tokiwadai Dormitory" while mixing them with newer tracks such as "What that bastard did!" and "Those cursed by magic".
- For the A Certain Magical Index TV Songs Album, the singers of the openings and season 2 endings (Mami Kawada and Maon Kurosaki respectively) got together for a duet called "Snap out of it!!". Needless to say, it makes a perfect addition to the series fantastic music catalogue.