Much like its spiritual predecessor, Veep has its moments in spite of how cynical a show it is.
- The successful rescue operation in "Hostages."
- In the episode "Helsinki," as Selina and her team are about to depart Finland, she tells Finnish Prime Minister's husband, Osmo, who had groped her earlier in the trip, that it's not okay and that there will be repercussions.
Where I come from, we kill people for looking at us funny. We waterboard folks who haven't even done anything. And you raped my tit. Oh, yeah, you did. So I'm coming for you 'cause I'm an Angry Bird right now and you're a pig.
- In the episode "Andrew", Ed gives a brief but harsh "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Jonah:
Jonah, you're not even a man. You're like an early draft of a man, where they just sketched out a giant mangled skeleton, but they didn't have time to add details, like pigment or self-respect. You're Frankenstein's monster, if his monster was made entirely of dead dicks.
- Catherine gives her mom a pep talk after Selina goes through a Heroic BSOD in "Alicia."
Catherine: Okay. Your big day is a travesty. I get it. It's like my 21st birthday. Or my 18th birthday. Or every other birthday, okay? Your entire life has been leading up to this moment. As a result of that, my entire life has been awful. Posing for Christmas cards, watching C-SPAN instead of "Sesame Street," going to memorials of old Israeli men that I've never even heard of. I have had a hard, lonely, miserable life. The only thing that is going to make it worthwhile is if I become the daughter of the next President of the United States. So you need to go out there. And you need to stop behaving like a little bitch.
- Amy leaking to Jonah to get Ray and Dan fired and land herself the campaign manager job.
- Selina being sworn in as the first female President in the third season finale.
- After Gary makes some serious mistakes in "East Wing," Selina chews him out and tells him that he's unimportant to her. Gary reacts with uncharacteristic anger, reminding Selina that he's more than just her bagman.
I've broken my body for you. I've let myself to be laughed at, I've let myself to be humiliated and I'm happy to do it! Most of the time, you don't even know that I exist, but I'm fucking everything to you!
- In "Convention", Amy finally snaps from Selina consistently ignoring her sensible advice, and quits, but not before giving Selina a scathing "The Reason You Suck" Speech about how ineffective she is as a politician, and how her only accomplishment will be ensuring no one ever wants a female president again.
I have bitten my tongue so long, it looks like a dog's cushion. But no more. You have made it impossible to do this job. You have two settings: no decision and bad decision. I wouldn't let you run a bath without having the Coast Guard and the fire department standing by, but yet here you are running America. You are the worst thing that has happened to this country since food in buckets and maybe slavery. I've had enough. I'm gone...You have achieved nothing. Apart from one thing. The fact that you are a woman means we will have no more women presidents because we tried one and she fucking sucked. Good-bye, ma'am.
- It's made more awesome that, immediately after, Selina realizes that Amy was right and goes with her suggestion of Tom James, and fires Karen.
- Tom James' entrance. He's shown to be very friendly, charismatic, and very politically aware.
- In "B/ill", while Selina is laid up sick in bed, her inner circle scramble to contain a growing scandal around the Families First bill, all while deflecting blame onto each other. Tom James finally has enough of this when they're arguing right next to Selina's bed, and chews them out.
"ALL OF YOU SHUT YOUR FUCKING HOLES! The President is not sick. You guys are. You're parasites; a fucking infestation of mediocracy. I don't care if you're a 1950s radio host (Bill), a Fozzie Bear who's been ripped open to smuggle drugs (Mike), a Nazi doctor (Kent)... I don't even know what the fuck you are (Gary). This is not about serving yourselves. This is about serving the President. So let's do that."