Awesome: The Way of Kings
open/close all folders
- Kaladin and Bridge Four taking on more or less an entire Parshendi army. And only three of them died despite the fact that most of Bridge Four had no actual battle experience at all and some of them were already wounded.
- The part where Kaladin lands dead in the centre of a group of Parshendi and speaks the second ideal without ever having heard of it before "I Will protect those who cannot protect themselves".
- Taken Up to Eleven when the Parshendi immediately recognise him as a Windrunner/Surgebinder, one of the Knights Radiant if not something more than even that (considering that he somehow knew the Ideal), and whole groups of them turn around and start running away. And then, a few chapters onward, the revelation arrives that the Parshendi and Parshmen are the Voidbringers. Who Kaladin just fought against (in their hundreds, possibly thousands) with no Blade and no Shardplate, and won.
- Kaladin deciding to lead Bridge Four back to rescue Dalinar's men, giving up their chances of escape.
- Kaladin single handedly changing bridge runs forever by drawing the ire of the entire Parshendi army by wearing their dead in his armor and dodging all of the arrows fired at him until Sadeas' troops are in position. Certainly works better than his first idea.
- The part where Kaladin dreams he is a highstorm blowing through the lands.
- Kaladin killing a shardbearer with only a spear and minimal armor.
- And one for his squad when they follow him against the Shardbearer, who had just killed four of them with about as much effort as it takes to brush some dust off your sleeve.
- Kaladin again, pulling a Bavarian Fire Drill more or less organizing the retreat of Dalinar's forces, ordering around Dalinar's officers, then topping it off by ordering around Adolin (who was waving his Shardblade around during the conversation) and Dalinar..
- Yet another from the same battle. After Bridge Four narrowly survives an all out attack by the Parshendi archers A second volley of arrows is fired. And Kaladin uses his powers to draw every single arrow to the shield on his arm, blasting him off his feet and destroying the shield (and severely wounding his arm). It is worth noting that everyone who saw it immediately stopped and stared in amazement. Enemy and ally alike.
- Dalinar proving his loyalty to Elhokar by beating the shit out of him despite Elhokar's screaming for his guards (which were loyal to Dalinar) and trying to defend himself. The point is to prove that Dalinar could kill Elhokar whenever he wanted; he hasn't because he doesn't want to.
- And while Dalinar's doing this he's also letting Elhokar know what a little shit he's been the whole time, and finishes it off by telling Elhokar that he's dating Elhokar's mom.
- Dalinar gets another when he gives up his Shardblade, thus adhering to his ideals despite seemingly contradictory obligations. Also a heartwarming moment; see that page for details.
- Dalinar again when he stops the Chasmfiend. By himself.
- Just about every time Szeth fights. Running on walls, throwing people into ceilings, beating shardbearers with no weapons occasionally, and lastly, hitting a shardbearer with a giant stone accelerating at 20 times the acceleration of gravity, approximately 196 meters per second per second, turning the shardplate molten.
- actually, according to Word Of God, Roshar's gravity is about 0.7 of Earth's, so it's really only 137 meters per second squared, but the point still stands.
- Jasnah using her Soulcaster to change a gang of of notorious criminals into various substances, killing them. Horrifying, yet effective.
- In part five of The Way of Kings, Jasnah saving Shallan from Shadesmar with a raft.
- Renarin (who suffers from a mysterious sickness that gives him crippling seizures) charging into battle with a chasmfiend unarmed and unarmored because his father was in danger.
- Syl fighting off deathspren with a sword of light to protect Kaladin as he suffers the effects of direct exposure to a highstorm.
- Syl again, just before Kaladin and his squad go back to save Dalinar. "Do the windspren create the wind or follow it? I know what kind of spren I am. I am honorspren."