Awesome: The War of the Worlds
- The last stand of HMS Thunder Child. To summarize, as a horde of people are shoving and pushing to escape to safety on a steamer, Tripods bearing down and ready to slaughter them all. From nowhere, the Thunder Child roars into life and charges straight at the Tripods, bringing down two down with torpedo tubes and heavy guns. This earns it a barrage of heat rays, and it just keeps going, trying to ram a third and take that one down as well, before succumbing and vanishing under the waves, saving everyone on the steamer. If this troper ever owns a boat of his own, he's naming it after the Thunder Child. This from the Jeff Wayne musical really sums up how freaking awesome this whole bit is.
- First time the humans takes down a tripod. Five Martian tripods attacks the town of Shepperton, there the British Army has put up defense lines with their artillery, and one of them goes near the river harbour, there a massive gathering of refugees was waiting for ships to take them away from the battlefield, and it seems that it's about to unleash its ray gun at the people when the artillery hits it right on and turn it into Swiss cheese. Cue massive cheers from the protagonist and every human around him. Thought the cheerfulness disappears as soon it comes when the other Martians does a Roaring Rampage of Revenge on the humans, but their lose was enough to give the British Army time to prepare itself for future attacks.
- The war machines! There totally indestructible, and even an atomic bomb fails to put so much as a scratch on them. The ship design may be a bit dated today, but you can't help being a little impressed.
- The first battle is especially impressive. The order to fire is given and the war machines are standing imperiously as all the bombs and bullets hit their force fields uselessly. Even the heat rays are swaying back and forth as though the war machines were looking around at the puny forces with contempt. "Oh, this is all you've got?" they seem to say right before they unleash their own weapons.
- The military holding off the Martians so the refugees can get to safety. The military are hopelessly outmatched. Heroic Sacrifice indeed.
- Ray grabbing a bag of grenades and starting to throw them at the tripod that took his daughter. And then, when the tripod nearly "sucks" him, he manages to pull the pin on all the grenades in total darkness and with just one hand (the other people in the box are pulling from him).
- The fact that many more could have been sucked away or possibly lost Ray had they not managed is in itself frightening, the fact that people saw a man about to be sucked away to his doom and got together, determined, and pulled him out alive is both Heartwarming in itself and even Awesome in that they also prevented Heroic Sacrifice to get Ray to the end.
- Home team finally gets a win against a Tripod after the alien inside gets sick. After all the time we've spent being slaughtered, it's so satisfying to finally knock one of those Tripods down.