Awesome / Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Even if it is a generally panned game, it does have awesome moments.
- The first time we see Sonic, he jumps in the middle of Eggman's drones as they attempt to kidnap Elise, introduces himself to the Princess whilst waiting for Eggman to order his robots to attack, before leaping out of the line of fire & destroying all the machines (bar one) in less than two seconds. And the one Sonic leaves? Well, he stops right in front of it, waits for a moment, before simply poking it & causing it to fall over.
- And then in his ending, Sonic has to get Elise off Eggman's latest airship as it explodes. Cue Sonic carrying Elise, as he runs and jumps to different parts of the airship as the damn thing explodes.
- In Shadow's ending, Mephiles tries to get Shadow to make Face–Heel Turn, but Shadow then declares that no matter what, he will keep fighting. At which point, Mephiles creates an army of clones of himself, before having them attack Shadow. Shadow removes his bracelets to unleash his full power, before proceeding to fight through the clones. The intro to the game's Last Story shows that he makes quick work of them.
Shadow: "If the world chooses to become my enemy, then I will fight like I always have!"
- The scene following Shadow's battle with Silver. Just as Silver tries to strike him one more time, Shadow slows time down using Chaos Control, casually walks around Silver, and roundhouse kicks him in the back of the head.
- The cutscene prior to this battle. Silver attacks Sonic again and is about to kill him. Cue Shadow arriving. He saves Sonic, pulling a Vegeta, and offhandedly glances at him to say; "I got this." Sonic gives him a thumbs up in gratitude and leaves after Eggman. It really shows the respect that the two have for each other.
- After Eggman reveals the totality of his plans to Elise, she says she'd rather die than be his prisoner again and backs off the ship, fully intending to sacrifice herself so he won't succeed. Later, she only surrenders to him when he threatens to destroy Soleanna if she refuses.
- Mephiles killing Sonic. This is a hedgehog that's survived gods, Humongous Mecha, the prototype Ultimate Life Form, and being spaced. It has to count for something.
- Silver gets one too, in the final boss battle; Iblis has a desperation attack where he throws a giant meteor at you that destroys the platform if it hits, making you plummet to your death. What does Silver do, provided you time it right? He doesn't even flinch, stopping the meteor in midair and flinging it back at Iblis.
- Timing, nothing. All you need is the same ol' telekinesis you've been using to catch projectiles for the entire game. It doesn't even take up much more of your Action Gauge.
- Sonic, Shadow, and Silver take down Solaris, a sun god.
Super Sonic: The present day. The here and now that you've stolen? Time to take it back!
- The cutscene before the first Mephiles boss fight, where he tells Shadow that humanity fears him, and that they will eventually turn on him, and then offers Shadow his... symbolically posed body as proof, and Shadow has a large Screw Destiny moment, and then Mephiles then transforms from a black and white, green eyed, mouth-less version of Shadow to an Eldritch Abomination.
Shadow: "I determine my own destiny."
- The end of Sonic's version of Kingdom Valley. Yes, it's a Mach Speed segment and it's hard as hell, but it looks fantastic. Running though what can only be described as a giant half-pipe formed by an upside down waterfall, with segments of ancient ruined castle forming a path through. Notable parts include running on the waterfall, jumping from perch to perch, and the amazing music. For a short time, the game works and it is glorious. This level also seems to be a magnet for Lets Player's own awesome moments, as proven by pokecapn's group and the Grumps.
- Just the fact that they got through this game all in one sitting, putting up with all the crap the game threw at them, and refused to give up.
- The first time they play Kingdom Valley's mach speed section, they nearly clear it on their first try. Keep in mind, these are the defining factors of That One Level and they nearly did it blind.
- Even better is the fact that pokecapn didn't realize that he had been reacting to it.
pokecapn: Why can't I go straight? That's how I did it last time.
Ill-Ves: You weren't going straight, you were... reacting.
medibot: Yeah you were just kind of going with the flow, you know?
- Kung-Fu Jesus finally clearing that billiard ball puzzle, at least according to the others' reactions.
medibot: Kung-Fu Jesus, you are our savior! ALL GLORY TO THE CACTUS KING!
- After two and a half hours of agony, the team finally clears the End of the World segment, after Pokecapn's breakdown, IlluminatusVespucci's insistence if no one else would play the game, he would, Kung-Fu Jesus' prose rapping, and finally figuring out which posse member was good with what stage, they break into a chorus of "Land Down Under" lead by Pokecapn, and you can hear the triumph in their voice when they save their game.
Medibot: This is medibot, and we're playing Sonic The Hedgehog 2006!
- During the last part of the End of the World segment, everyone is very quiet and tense, aside from Kung-Fu Jesus with his prose rapping. When Shadow finally grabs the last Chaos Emerald and they all start singing "Land Down Under" together, it's a wonderful contrast.
- From the contest: One of the challenges was a creative-writing challenge, in which contestants were asked to explain why Robotnik could (as per Sonic 3) outrun Sonic on foot. YeOldeButchere's winning entry surmised that he was running out of fear. It explained that Eggman was right in front of something that knew all his weak points, hated him and all he stood for with an unexplainable passion, and just would not stay dead.
Eventually, as you're trying to escape to the one place where you think you're safe, space, he defeats one of your latest creation, and for the first time, you're face to face with him. There's no steel plate protecting you. There's no vertical distance. He's there, staring at you with those empty, demonic eyes. You run like you've never run before. You just fucking run.
Other Let's Plays
- This person used a combination of glitches to speedrun Sonic's story in 15 minutes.