- Heartwarming, Awesome, and thought-provoking:
Nate Sr.: You can do anything, you lucky bastard, you're alive! What's a little pain compared to that?David: It can't be that simple.Nate Sr.: What if it is?
- When Nate Jr. comforts a woman, grieving her aunt who was the only person to ever love her.
Grieving Woman: Why do people have to die?Nate: To make life important.
- Brenda's mother kind of hit the nail on its head when she said this: "Life is so fucking hard, even when it's easy."
- Ruth at the self-help seminar: "And fuck you too, for not letting me buy that Snickers!"
- "Next time you call somebody a faggot, make sure that faggot is no LAPD cop!"
- The last scene, which cuts between Claire driving off to New York City and flash-forwards of all of the deaths of the surviving main characters. It's surprisingly heartwarming while being crushingly heartbreaking in context. The brilliance of how those two things were blended and the way it highlights the entire series' overarching theme of death (of self and others) being a part of life is a large part of the reason the finale is one of the most acclaimed in recent television.