Awesome / Sigur Rós
All of it. All of it
. Yes, even Von
. Well, some of Von
at least. Despite being The Unintelligible
to the vast majority of the audience, they've achieved widespread mainstream success. It's not hard to imagine why.
- "Myrkur" is awesome despite being Early Installment Weirdness, With an awesome bassline and vocal harmonies. The ambient bridge is great too.
- "Hafssól," which the band felt was awesome enough to re-record. Exploited by Olan Rogers
- "Syndir Guðs (Opinberun Frelsarans)" is remarkably creepy.
- "Svefn-g-englar" is like High Octane Sweet Dreams Fuel. And the title translates to "Sleepwalking Angels." Dawwwwwww
- "Starálfur." That string arrangment!
- "Olsen Olsen" starts off nice enough, but once things really kick in around halfway through, it just becomes glorious.
- And then after that comes the Breather Episode that is "Ágætis byrjun", which shows that even when working with just acoustic guitar, bass, drums and piano as opposed to their characteristic wall of sound, Sigur Rós can still deliver.
- You'd be forgiven for crying at hearing the first song.
- "Samskeyti," Not unnoticed by Gregg Araki.
- The final track, "Popplagið". It starts out nicely as a soft, mellow song, but its real shining moment — and the reason why people remember it — occurs later into the song with one of the most intense build-ups in their entire catalog, after which all of the instruments just pull out all the stops and it sounds magnificent. At nearly every concert, it's the final song they play, regularly stretching to upwards of 13 minutes.
- As if the song couldn't get good enough, pure magic happened when they played the song as an encore at their 2008 Greek Berkeley show. On the day of the show, there had been rain scheduled, but reportedly none appeared for the whole concert...until the band played "Popplagið", after which point it started pouring like a gift straight from the heavens. In a Reddit AMA, the band even stated that it was one of their all-time favorite moments, and for good reason.
Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
- "Varúð" is haunting.
- "Fjögur Píanó" is well-known for making people cry.