Awesome: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Title of the image's episode is "A Man's fight". Appropriate due to this being the single greatest moment in the series.
Original animated series
End of Evangelion
- In End of Eva Shinji is, well... being Shinji, saying he wants to die after Misato saves him. She first tries to reason with him but when that doesn't work she tries another approach: shoving him against a cage and roaring in his face.
- Misato gets a grand moment in End of Evangelion when she guns down several well armed JSSDF members with nothing but a pistol, without bothering to take cover, then kicks one against the wall and shoots him in the head and point blank range. She's mortally wounded in the process.
- Asuka in The End of Evangelion, when she took on nine Evas, each with unlimited power and a weapon that could slice through an AT field like it wasn't there, at once, armed only with a progressive knife and three and a half minutes of battery power. And won. Once.
- Of course, given that they all turned out to be playing dead, it's pretty likely that they were just toying with her and waiting for her power to run out instead before tearing her to shreads. Sadistic monsters.
- The earlier part where she takes on the JSSDF is this as well. Y'know, by tossing a frigate at them. With the JSSDF's weaponry having no effect on her Eva. (After cowering at the bottom of a lake for a while, she realizes that the Eva contains her mother's spirit and snaps out of it. Then we see the frigate slowly rising from the surface...)
- Say what you will about End of Evangelion, Rei giving Gendou the finger was awesome. In five seconds she goes from being his Apocalypse Maiden to stealing Adam and essentially changed the game to where she had the whole world by the balls. Whether giving the power to Shinji is heartwarming or a wall banger is up for debate.
- The manga version has Shinji with several moments where he shows honest signs of Bad Ass. The most epic moment being after Toji is killed during the fight with Bardiel which Gendo forced Shinji to do by using the dummy plug to take over Unit 01. He later faces his father and asks him if he has anything to say about it. When Gendo says no, Shinji tries to punch him in the face and is only stopped by Kaji when his fist is literally an inch away from Gendo's face. The moment is so unexpected that Gendo Ikari is thrown off guard and has a look of complete shock on his face.
- Rei basically gets to deliver a Shut Up, Hannibal! to Armisael, who had been trying to convince her that she is evil at heart and her existence is worth nothing.
- Asuka's first appearance, featuring her beating the crap of a bunch of thugs outside of an arcade, in her civilain dress attire no less!
- Misato in Chapter 84 of the manga version. She blows herself up to kill a squad of soldiers.
- In such stark contrast to "End of Evangelion", where he sat and moped, Shinji in the manga takes Misato's urging him on to heart and actually is heading to help Asuka in battle. And instead of sitting and whining when he finds his Eva rendered immobile by bakelite, he says "I have to keep my promise to Misato and help Asuka. Mother... Move. MOTHER! MOOOOVE!" And the Eva comes to life. Damn.
- And Fridge Brilliance makes it better- Shinji has just saved, oh, maybe two, three minutes of moping around. Two, three minutes in which, in the actual timeline Asuka fucking dies. Do I smell an AU?
- A scan of the newest manga chapter. OH YEAH.◊ May be a Big Damn Heroes moment, but this is definitely a Crowning Moment of Awesome for Shinji. Yup, definitely an AU by the looks of it.
- And he keeps good on that vow. Even after causing Instrumentality (though for more noble reasons than in End of Evangelion; he does so thinking it's for everyone's own good rather than for his own self-pity), Shinji not only reverses it, but in the manga's ending, we see that the entire human race DOES come back and Shinji and Asuka have a much happier ending this time around. Doubles as a Heartwarming Moment.
- When Gendo shot Ritsuko in "End of Evangelion", that was the end of that. In the manga? Ritsuko staggers to her feet afterward while Gendo is distracted with Rei's betrayal and shoots the bastard in the throat! DAMN!
- This really deserves some elaboration on why this is so freakin' awesome. Throughout the manga, Gendo has been a borderline psycho who has just revealed that he's really Jumped Off The Slippery Slope in a rant to Shinji about how he's going to destroy the world and become a god, having done multiple morally questionable things (such as forcefully making Shinji indirectly murder his best friend) to accomplish this. Not only do we get the satisfaction of Rei rejecting and betraying him, we get to see Ritsuko shoot him while telling him he's full of crap. Damn is a freakin understatement!