- The last ten seconds of the the third season premiere, "Did You See the Sunrise?" One of Magnum's friends has been killed by a car-bomb meant for Magnum; the last thing he said before starting the car was a suggestion that he, Magnum, and a third person with them drive up to a lookout point and watch the sunrise. At the end of the episode Magnum contrived to be alone with the killer, a Soviet agent known as "Ivan." After a mildly civilized discussion Ivan, who has diplomatic immunity and is on his way out of the country, walks away, passing Magnum so that the two men have their backs to each other. After a pause, Magnum asks a question:
Magnum: Ivan.Ivan: Yes?Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?Ivan: (a bit puzzled) Yes, why?
- And Thomas Magnum, the hero of a TV detective show in 1982, when heroes still didn't do morally questionable things on television, turns around with something wrong with his eyes, and fires a single shot, with the episode ending on a freeze-frame of the muzzle flash.
- This is so awesome that Sterling Archer set a up a similar scene when he went on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge in one episode. As in set up a camera and filmed it to show over and again to his co-workers. And despite Archer doing its usual mockery of action and spy tropes, it was still awesome.
- The title character at the start of "Ms. Jones" single-handedly kicking the asses of the two men looking for her husband, as well as setting off her airhorn, blowing her emergency whistle, and pepper-spraying them to boot.
- Jim "Mac" Bonnick gets one in "On the Fly", doubling a bit as a Pet the Dog moment given his usual behavior, saving Magnum's life by shooting the fake Mexican federal agent about to shoot him. Then he makes a pretty badass escape from the episode's villain and his men in an airplane. Unfortunately he gets shot right after and Magnum has to take the controls himself.
- Magnum finally standing up for himself and calling Pamela Bates out in "Novel Connection" because no one trusts him. Her bullying him over his gruff appearance and constantly calling him a bum basically sets him off on a tirade- and Higgins doesn't help matters.
Magnum: Muscle? ''MOPUP?''Higgins: Magnum...Magnum: No! Higgins, that's it! I have had it! NO MORE ABUSE! Now, I have tried to put up with it because I thought there might be a real problem here! But if there is, nobody wants to talk about it! Amy won't talk! Joan has absolutely nothing to say! And you, Miss Bates, have never even offered a reason why somebody would want to kill you! AND I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO'S BEEN SHOT AT!!!Higgins: Magnum, sit down and be calm.Magnum: Higgins, stop treating me like a child! I'M AN ADULT! NO MORE ABUSE!!! (knocks a champagne bottle over)
- "Innocence... A Broad", when Magnum asks why he's only credited with handling security at certain times.
Magnum: Wait a minute! Wait just a minute! How come every time there's a crummy job to be done, I'm in charge of security, but every time there's big money to be spent, or credit to be taken, you're in charge of security?!Higgins: Because, that.. is the order of the universe!