- Lady Macbeth, even for her time, was and is a pretty new take on a female's role in drama. Her first words are some of the most famous parts of the play. She is the whole driving force behind the events of the play... even when those events are not particularly nice.
Banquo: [Looking to sky, talking to Fleance] It will rain tonight.First murderer: Let it come down!
- When Macbeth realises that the weird sisters' final prophecies were misleading (Beware Macduff/"none of woman born shall harm Macbeth."/" Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill shall come against him.") and he can actually be defeated.
- Act V, Scene V, in which Macbeth resolves to kill every last sonuvabitch who attacks Dunsinane, even if he dies trying...
Arm, arm and out!
If this which he avouches does appear,
There is no flying hence, nor tarrying here...
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow wind, come wrack!
At least we'll die with harness on our back.
- Macbeth's last words:
I will not yield,
To kiss the ground before young Malcolm's feet,
And to be baited with the rabble's curse.
Though Birnam wood be come to Dunsinane,
And thou opposed, being of no woman born,
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff,
And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'
- Macduff fearlessly confronting Macbeth in the final scene, vowing to avenge his wife and children or die trying.
Turn, hell-hound, turn! ...
I have no words:
My voice is in my sword: thou bloodier villain
Than terms can give thee out!
- In the Australian version the line "Macduff was from his motherís womb Untimely ripped" is turned into a Pre-Mortem One-Liner
- The 2015 adaptation has a twist on the "Birnam wood comes to Duisinane" part. Instead of Macduff disguising him and his army with the forest, he burns the forest to the ground to cover his army's movement with the smoke and leave Macbeth with nowhere to hide. Macduff causes the "forest of birnam wood to come to Duisinine" by setting it on fire (and the wind blows the forest's ashes to Duisinane). Gotta give the man props for sheer tenacity here.