Awesome: Gangs of New York
- Boss Tweed is supremely disappointed that Bill Cutting has just killed Monk McGinn, the Irish sheriff. "You don't know what you've done to yourself." Daniel Day-Lewis then scares the ever-loving crap out of everyone when he taps that knife against his glass eye.
- Which was actually a Throw It In on Lewis' part.
- "Priest" Vallon belligerently unsheathing a sword hidden inside his crucifix in response to Bill's challenge is definitely a stand-out.
- The entire Draft Riot scene, especially when The Dead Rabbits and the Natives are all set for their final showdown...and instead they get bombarded by cannons and shot by Union soldiers.
- The final scene of the movie, with Amsterdam saying how life in the city would go on despite the carnage of the Draft Riots. This is followed by a time-lapse of the New York skyline from the 1800s up to the present day, set to U2's epic The Hands That Built America
- Scorsese also said in an interview that they considered removing the World Trade Center at the end of the montage, but elected not to as it's about the city being built, not being torn down.
- Crowning Music of Awesome - U2's "The Hands That Built America" at the end. Not to mention an instrumental of "Signal to Noise" by Peter Gabriel during the battle at the beginning.
- The authentic tunes from the era they got on the soundtrack were awesome as well, such as "New York Girls" and "Paddy's Lament".
- Even if it's anachronistic for the time period, nothing sets the nightmarish tone for the battle to come quite like "Shimmy She Wobble."
- The Bishop smacking McGloin across the head after he complains about there being a "nigger in the church" is awesome, and hilarious as well. He's such a Jerk Ass that even a Bishop wants to violently shut him up.
- It's a minor thing, and words don't really do it justice, but the two occasions when Bill responds to a cheering crowd with a bored royal wave have always been stand-out moments. The fact that he can make a gesture which is so arrogant and dismissive of the adulation (and even look irritated by the tedium of it,) and actually not come across as a pompous Smug Snake in any way is quite remarkable. May be a Moment Of Awesome for the actor rather than the character, but either way, it's awesome.
- At the beginning of the Draft Riots, a rich home is besieged by ax carrying firefighters . What does the patriarch do? Sends the women upstairs and takes on the mob with only two guns. Pretty badass.