- Eyrie Productions is a site full of fanfics that shine with these.
- I'm surprised Fairly English Story isn't here. Episode 72 is where it kicks into overdrive.
- Hell, he even faced the Hermit Arcana when he turned into the Chou Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!!
- Shinji and Warhammer 40k is perhaps the fanfiction king of this trope, with every single chapter containing at least one and every single character getting their own moments to shine. Shinji? Walking awesome factory. Rei? Never, ever cross her, ever. Asuka? Three words: GIGA! DRILL! BREEEAAAKEEEERR! Kaworu? Everything that Shinji is, but on the opposing side. Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo? There's a reason they are still in charge after everything going FUBAR on a constant basis. Maya becomes a Sister of Battle. Mana becomes a Commisar with her own personal Dreadnought. Hikari becomes an Inquisitor, with Stormtrooper Suzuhara as her retainer. There is even the original characters, including-but-not-limited-to a military genius that almost led China to world domination, and a regular solider with collossal titanium balls that has survived a Zombie Apocalypse and being absorbed by an Eldritch Abomination and is far from finished. Pick a character, pick a chapter, pick a page, and this trope is almost certainly there. Enjoy.
- For a specific example, Shinji gets one when he consecrates EVA-01 as his personal Titan.
Shinji: "Cast in the shape of man! Made to fight humanity's enemies! You shall carry our will unto eternity! I NAME YOU!" He leaned over the railing. "EVANGELION! I NAME YOU; TITANICUS! PRINCIPIO ETERNUS!"
- The author also has this little habit of topping himself. Over and over and over again. In the latest chapter, Shinji had a Big Damn Heroes moment, where he rescues some PDF soldiers that were going to be killed by angel-made zombies, by charging in with Leman Russ tanks, and then deploying what amounts to Space Marine Terminators. And then used his Psychic Powers to just vaporise an enemy unit that got a little too close to him.
- Don't forget the 'effing Grey Knights, even if it was a suicide mission.
- Kensuke gets one during the battle against Matariel and its Angelspawn in Chapter 19.3. When the school is under attack, he sighs in vexation, goes to where his supplies are squirreled away, retrieves some armor plates from hidden caches, pulls on some goggles and a breathing mask, and slowly, deliberately straps on equipment until he completes his transformation into a full-blown Techpriest. Then he picks up two bolt pistols and goes Angel hunting. "Don't worry about this one. I'll buy you time."
- Makoto Hyuga in the following chapter, dressed like a chainsword-wielding priest for some studio art production and coming out to stop a riot from erupting with some frothing oratory and one helluva bluff.
- Rei. One word: "Waaagh." Or maybe its when she beats Shinji in a sim by knocking his Eva to the ground and stomping on his head repeatedly before kicking it like a football. Or turning into Apocalypse Rei when Shinji and Maya get held for ransom.
"I propose we level this city section by section until we find him. I am capable of this and can begin within the next hour. I estimate it will only take me two days and four hours until it is completely assured that I have isolated where Ikari-kun may be."
- Chapter 2.2. "THE EMPEROR PROTECTS!"
- In order to provide some context and clarification as to exactly how awesome this story is, the very first Crowning Moment of Awesome, the one that all successive Awesome Moments exceed by increasing magnitudes, is when eight-year-old Shinji has his Warboss figurine stolen by three larger boys, and he proceeds to attempt to beat the living crap out of them, and wins, despite being nothing but a big bruise by the end of it. The boys are so impressed by his sheer balls that from then on they refer to him only as "Da' Boss".
- Eyrie Productions Unlimited's Neon Exodus Evangelion
- When Asuka comes back to Tokyo-3 in NGE: Walking in the Shadow of Dreams, she moves into the apartment next door to Shinji's. While unpacking, Rei comes by to 'set things straight' with her, though it's mostly to pick a fight (It makes sense in context). Eventually it devolves into a cat fight, which is halted suddenly by Misato taseing them both, which naturally is complete with the Bond One-Liner...
"Crap like this is why I don't let pilots live with me anymore?"
- And then of course there's the part where we learn that Third Impact was averted not by Shinji, but Gendo. Ikari. "Get away from MY SON!" has often been a standard cry for a CMOA, but considering who says it, and who he says it to, makes it even more so.
- In another Gregg Landsman Eva fic, Nobody Dies, Misato is given the one Crowning moment the series, and most fanfics, denied her in the seventeenth chapter against the Angel ADAM.
"My name is Misato Katsuragi," she says, "Lieutenant Colonel of NERV. Daughter of Shiro Katsuragi, the stupid son of a bitch who woke you up. I am the daughter of a murdered man and the only human being to look on you with their own eyes and live to tell about it. I am the right hand of retribution and the last human being you will ever see, you glow in the dark mother f___er. Now smile asshole. Because this, is my seventeen years of f___
- Asuka gets the second half of chapter 24 and all of chapter 25 as a protracted CMOA. Having been thoroughly broken by parental neglect and emotional/mental abuse before the fic began, and spending much of the fic itself as a stammering, timid wreck - It Makes Sense in Context - her rampage of awesome begins in a deliciously just fashion when she chairshots Kyoko, the parent in question. And then she really gets started....
- She tops this one in ch. 38 (at least in a teaser) when her various personality splits come to life to help her fight the Angel Iruel.
- The amazing, albeit unfinished A Human Saiyajin gives Ranma a brilliant one when he comes amazingly close to beating Imperfect Cell. It gets underlined when Cell flat out tells Trunks that for all their powers, none of the Z crew were as much a danger to him as Ranma. Even after becoming Perfect Cell, Ranma gives him a good fight Then he and Vegeta spend a year in the Hyperbaric Time Chamber and Ranma learns to master the power of the Nekoken
- A crowning moment of awesomeness for the author, who managed to fit well over a hundred 'Emergency!' episode titles into the text of this Doctor Who fanfic.
- The Ultimate Ace just for the fact that it's Ace Combat, written Real Life-style (lampshading the difference thus: Mobius One "hadn't been responsible for the final destruction of Stonehenge though. That was a common misconception. Nothing short of a B-1 or B-2 had that much firepower"), and it works.
- The Land Before Time fan fics having a CMOA? Hell yes!
- Naruto gets several in S'tar'kan's Team 8. The battle with Neji, where he uses the Kyuubi's chakra to blow open his closed tenketsu points and beat Neji black and blue in taijutsu.
Neji: That's impossible.
Naruto: Just as impossible as fighting against fate. Just as impossible as fighting a Jyuken user hand to hand.
- What makes that moment even more awesome is that he doesn't use the Kyuubi chakra, he just brute forces it open with his own chakra, a skill learned practicing with Hinata. Compared to the fact that he DOES call on Kyuubi in canon makes that even more awesome.
- Another moment: Naruto vs Sasuke. One punch, right in the jaw.
- Don't forget Haku. Breaks through the Sound Four's barrier and goes on to fight Orochimaru alongside the Hokage, easily keeping up with them.
- Hinata's reaction to finding out just how horribly Naruto was mistreated by some for being the host of the nine-tailed fox.
*sudden horrified pause, claps both hands over her mouth*
- Shino's best CMOA in the entire series is during the preliminaries of the Chunin Exams, immediately following Hinata's harsh beat-down at the hands of Neji.
Glancing around, Shino noticed that both Rock Lee and Tenten were staring at him. Looking down, he realized that there was a fine spray of aspirated blood across the front of his jacket. Hinata's blood. He looked back up.
"What variety of flowers would be appropriate?" he asked in the calmest, most matter-of-fact tone of voice he could muster.
"What?" Tenten asked, rubbing a bruise on the side of her head that she'd sustained in her loss to Temari. To their credit, both of them appeared upset with the outcome of the last match, but Shino still had a point to make.
"For your team mate's funeral," he clarified.
- Kurenai gets one when she manages to break out of Tsukuyomi, a feat normally reserved for Sharingan users or demon gods. Sadly Itachi, who is a straight up villain here, kills her after she breaks his strongest genjutsu.
- Hell, Kurenai gets one in the very first chapter. A moral one, but awesome nonetheless.
The girl was obviously of the Hyuuga main family. For such a one to be attracted to a ruffian like the one who bore the kyuubi was an ineradicable smear on her family's honour.
Good for her.
- "Black Flames Dance in the Wind: Rise of Naruto". The whole story is filled with Momemnts of Awesome and Crowning Moments of Funny.
- Basically, all of Chapter 25 is a Crowning Moment of Awesome. Naruto fights his mother and destroys several city blocks in the process while all available Chuunin and Jounin are maintaining a barrier so the two don't destroy the entire village.
- "Roku Naruto". Chapter 13 gets a Crowning moment of awesome for the conclusion of the first fight against Zabuza. Naruto and his clones threw several giant kunai filled with 900 kilos of rubhidium into the lake Zabuza is standing on. Zabuza later swore never to fight Naruto over water.
- Nigh everything written by lord of the land of fire. While I can't endorse the sex scenes, he manages to make some very awesome scenes that readers often fail to fully appreciate the Awesomeness of. "A Few Angry Words" contains a parallel to Revelation Chapter 19 (Yes, that's the Second Coming of Jesus), while "The True Monster" contains a rather thorough paralel to World War II! Just when you think this guy has written himself into a corner, he comes out with something even more awesome as a resolution.
- An OC named Philip gets one in the W.I.T.C.H. Fanfic WITCH POWER by Xen Kenshin when he completely DESTROYS Nerissa's demonic minions Shagon and co. because of an unstoppable rage.. downside? He kills his love interest Irma.
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion: Redemption by Chris & Alex Voutsis, Rei Ayanami, piloting a Unit-00' with only ten minutes of battery power, is forced to fight alone against the USAF-operated Unit-04' (codenamed MARI) when Shinji and Asuka are incapacitated. Normally, this would be impressive but this kicks it over the top: The USAF has upgraded Unit-04's Dummy Plug and can remotely pilot the Eva themselves, meaning that, unlike the Angels who just blast things at random, Unit-04 is smart. Worse, it's armed with a jet pack, an S2 engine, a laser rifle, and stealth armor — all of which it just used to destroy three military bases in France, steal eight other Evas for the US, and take on the UN. The situation looks so bad, even Misato thinks they're all probably screwed. After all, how can you fight an intelligent enemy that's just going to circle around above, taking out your support network (because it knows everything about you from spies in NERV), and you can't even paint it on radar? Rei's answer? Link with the Dummy Plug clone's mind to locate its position and then use her positron rifle to destroy its jet pack — without even bothering to turn on her targeting computer. Then engage in a bloody, knock-down drag-out fist fight that levels half of Tokyo-3, goes down the Eva elevator shafts, into NERV itself, and ends with Rei beating Unit-04 to death in a berserker rage just before it destroys Unit-01 (and a Shinji trapped inside) even after Unit-00 is crippled and has taken a full gun clip to its head.
- Soldier of Spira has far too many to count, but several events come to mind. First, Operation Ratcatcher in its entirety, just for the build up and how Auron was written (Whose portrayal in itself is a Crowning Moment of Awesome for the writer; few can claim to write an Auron who surpasses the original). Second, Starfall in its entirety, for Auron and Rikku. Third? Auron more or less holds the entire world at ransom just by making a promise. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, in Spira and beyond knows not to goad/enrage/bother Auron. If he makes a promise, then no matter how impossible it seems, he will keep it.
- Here's the absolutely epic speech Auron makes, in its entirety:
Auron: Braska? Can you hear me? Yevon? Fayth? Lords of the Living and the Dead? Are you listening? Rikku will not die today. Rikku will not die today. Rikku will not die tomorrow. Rikku will not die in Zanarkand. Listen to me. Hear me all of you. All of your plans and your devices and wars, she has no part of them. She is not here because of you, to help you or to stop you. She is only here because she loves her cousin. Do you even understand such a simple reason? So Rikku does not die today. Rikku does not die tomorrow. Rikku does not die in Zanarkand at all and if she does then there is a new side in your forever wars and a new player and then I promise you that at the end of everything, at the end of it all no one will be standing.
- From chapter 13 of the Neon Genesis Evangelion fanfic Altered Destinies, where Shinji forces Gendo to de-activate the Dummy Plug before it kills the pilot of Unit Three who in this AU is a de-aged Misato by arming Unit One's self-destruct system and threatening to nuke himself if Gendo doesn't back down. Made doubly awesome in that Shinji is not only standing up to his father, but epically calling him out on an open broadcast frequency with all of NERV listening in.
- Shinji essentially does the same thing to save Touji in The Second Try, though technically less awesome because he already knew that Gendo needed Unit 01 for his plans.
- Most of "The Treasure of Lei Fong Wu" , including the chapter devoted to Jayne annihilating a massive facility full of killer robots while wielding a heavy laser and an anti-tank rifle. Other moments include Wash using lasers to etch some graffiti on to the main antagonists ship.
- ShadowDragon8685's series of Misfile fanfiction starts the process of Rescuing Jenny the Second from the Scrappy Heap in Concrete Dreamscape, and by page 14 of Electric Dreams, she has become just plain awesome, defusing another superbitch by playing on the girl's latent homosexuality that she's trying to hide. (Note: Concrete Dreamscape and Electric Dreams are the fourth and fifth installments in the series. To read from the beginning, start here.)
- The end of "Chapter 23: For What Can Change" of Stray really powerful, maybe her absolute favorite in any fanfic, because she was counting bullets and realized what Adamska was about to do. Amazing scene.
- This chapter of this Fairly Oddparents fic, The Hollow Halloween by AmandaArtiste, presents one for Remy Buxaplenty, in which he shows us all that you simply should not try to brainwash Trixie Tang (and her friend) while he's around.
- The Master has many in the Doctor Who AU Fic Season Four, but his finest moment is in Chapter 13, where he and the Doctor confront the Rani - who plans to establish a New Gallifrey for the currently human Time Lords in her possession at a psychiatric ward with the help of the Doctor and Master. The Master laughs hysterically at this and has this brilliant rebuttal:
"Oh, come on, a Time Lord empire? Founded by the three of us? There goes that policy of neutrality! No, wait, I've got it! I can make more black hole converters, you know. I can be Rassilon. Lucy, my dear, you get to be Omega, that would be fitting. Oh, Doctor, that leaves you as the Other. Yes, that sounds about right. I can rule for a thousand years of terror and the new Eye of Harmony will have all sorts of gadgets to keep it in check and they'll all be named after me! The Sash of the Master and the Key of the Master and the Seal of the Master. While we're at it we might as well have a bloody Trouser Press of the Master. Does that sound nice? Does that sound fun? Yes, come on, let's build a new Time Lord empire!"
- Akane in "Road Trip", one of John Biles' Mai-HiME Future stories, when original character Mitsu is about to be tricked into summoning her Child so it can be killed:
"I won't let you fight alone! This time, we're not going to be picked off one by one! NOT THIS TIME!" (...) "I won't lose again! THIS I DO SWEAR! We will defeat you and protect those we love! FOR I AM THE BATTLE PRINCESS OF THE WIND STORM! AND TOGETHER WE WILL DEFEAT YOU!"
- New Beginnings, New Fate by FreetheKyuubi, this scene made both hilarious and awesome by the amount of skill implied.
"KAWAII!" All the girls (except the blonde and pink haired girls that were fighting earlier though even they looked like they were seriously fighting the urge) screamed in unison and launched themselves at the very surprised blonde. The glomping that ensued was one of legends as girls piled on top of each other in attempt to get to the boy beneath them.
A good natured chuckling suddenly came up from beneath the pile of girls and every one looked down in shock to see the aged face of the Hokage just visible. "Well, it has been a while since I was glomped by such attractive young ladies." The old man said with a smile. "But it is getting somewhat hard to breath. So would you all mind allowing this old man to get up?" The girls had to have set a new speed record in their haste to get themselves off the village's leader.
As the old man stood back up, a loud laughter filled the air and every looked over to see Naruto rolling on the ground holding his sides. "I...I can't...believe you...replaced yourself..with...the old man!" Naruto wheezed out as he laughed.
"I can't believe you replaced yourself with me, you little bastard!" Jagaa said heatedly from next to Kakashi. Naruto started laughing harder and Jagaa glared at him. Kakashi was using every ounce of will power he had not to join the sunny blonde. Seriously, how often does one see the most powerful man in the village get used as a replacement and then glomped? It was certainly a first for him.
- Eyes of the Broken Soul, a story that has so far extended Naruto's Academy life to about 37+ chapters, while still remaining awesome, a CMOA for the author by default. This scene is taken from a rather recent chapter where Naruto is on a survival trip (read: camping trip/death trap) with his class and they need to catch their own food. Naruto decides to fish last, being unsure of himself in front of Ino, Sakura, Choji, Shikamaru and their fathers, and unintentionally, completely, shows everyone up.
"What the hell!?!?!?!" Sakura shouted, almost causing the boy to lose his balance and fall over. "How the hell can you walk on water!?!?!?!" Naruto just shrugged his shoulders before scratching the back of his head with embarrassment.
"Ehehehe... well, the thing is I can't really swim that well." He mumbled sheepishly, somewhat embarrassed by his own "shortcomings". The pink haired girl just deadpanned.
"So... you just decided that defying the laws of nature and walking on water was easier..." She replied sarcastically. Naruto just nodded his head nervously, wondering why everyone looked so surprised by that.
"Yeah... that and I wanted to make sure that my dragon didn't get wet either..." he added lamely, trying to to escape the sittuation that he had gotten himself into. Ryuukimi just rolled his eyes before falling into his own blank expression
- The Blood fanfic Blood 2: The Unforgiven, by Eric Juneau. Specifically, the last few chapters of Part 2. That part, mostly taking place in a CabalCo-controlled prison/mental ward, just drags on and on after a while, slowly taking the reader's sanity and love of reading with it. And then it does a complete and total 180, as the main character is rescued by Caleb himself, leading into the best chapters of the entire fanfic.
"Move faster," the man commanded.
"It's a winding road," Avery said.
He heard the click of the revolver.
"Okay, moving faster."
- In the hilariously awful Death Note fic Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami, Watari gives us the immortal line "ENOUGH OF YOUR RUDDY FLASHBACKERY YOU SODDING ARSES!" And "THAT FOOLISH WANKER DA'URQ IS IN NEW YORK AND HES KILLING SOME POOR SODS!" And a ton of other superbly ridiculous British English yellings.
- She's Come Undone, an AU Sailor Moon where Usagi is placed in a mental asylum for the criminally insane by the government because her senshi battles were embarrassing them. She's given the choice of being set free but renouncing the fact she really was Sailor Moon, and staying in the hospital she's been confined in since forever and remaining a persona non grata and possibly never getting out alive. Her response: giving them a figurative middle finger by ripping up the papers she's given that would have had her saying she wasn't really Sailor Moon but just crazy, and stomping on them. Followed by saying she will always be Sailor Moon with a smile on her face, even while she's being dragged and beaten by the nurses for not doing what she was told. The Maya Angelou poem just enhances the awesome for me.
- Nazo Unleashed. The first episode opens with Nazo nabbing a Chaos Emerald, then destroying the city it was located in. Then it goes into a three-minute brawl as Nazo beats the crap out of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, followed by Sonic turning into Dark Sonic. Episode two kicks the action up even further as Super Sonic and Super Shadow go two-on-one against Nazo. Finally, in the third Episode, Nazo uses the Chaos Emeralds AND the Master Emerald to go Super himself, then beats the ever-loving crap out of Super Sonic and Super Shadow. Then both hedgehogs turn the Emeralds into Super Emeralds so they can go Hyper, and then FUSE into Hyper Shadic. What follows next is a one-on-one battle across Angel Island, into SPACE, then back to the island, before Nazo uses the Super Emeralds to go Hyper as well, followed by what can only be described as a Dark Spirit Bomb versus a Wave Motion Cannon. It's basically to Flash what Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is to anime.
- Elle Bishop gets a crowning moment in Creedog VanDrey's Heroes series The World Entire. Gabriel Gray has been mentally tormented back to his serial killing Sylar persona, where he has returned to Primatech to steal the powers of the dangerous inmates there. He comes up Elle, his wife, leaving him a series of vitriolic voice mails. Upon seeing him, she is immediately realived until he telekinetically throws her into a wall in preparation to open up her head and steal her electrical abilities. Without missing a beat, she attempts to seduce her Ax-Crazy husband. When that fails, she berates him for even wasting his time on her dinky sparks. She then leads him on a tour of the cells, enticing him with the various superpowered inmates as if she were a waitress reading daily specials off a menu. The final "item" is their four-year-old son Noah, who has the one ability Sylar is most desperate for: immortality. The gambit works, while trying to kill his son, he has an emotional breakdown. He falls to his knees, seeing Elle only seconds away from electrocuting him. Later, when he asks her why offer up their son, she admits that she needed to be alive to protect Noah. She then reveals what her plan was had electrocuting Sylar not worked while pulling out a pistol from the back of her jeans: she would have, without hestitation, shot him in the sweet spot that negates his healing abilities... then followed it up with a dozen more bullets around the crown of his skull, followed by bashing his head against the cement wall until his brain fell out, which, if it wasn't in enough pieces for her liking...well, they have a "woefully underused blender". After making this point, she then proceeds to initiate sex.
- Halo: Combat Evolution has several, but Wa, the Spartan Shock Trooper, gets one just by existing. Everything about his weapons and tactics is designed to scare the Covenant. He is to the covvies at large what the Chief is to the Covenant rank and file, and to the Spartans what the Spartans are to everyone else. He demonstrates this in chapter twenty-five by walking into a combat situation, saving his teammate, taking a hit from a Brute Hammer and getting right back up, then tearing the Brute's midsection out. Then he rips the top of its skull off. The oncoming brutes stop dead.
- The Faltering of Suzumiya Haruhi is a CMOA in itself, because the writing style is so ridiculously close to Baka-Tsuki's translations of the original work, that it could be a lost original short story or something like that...
- There are several by Thrythlind:
- The webcomic site Stardroids.net is full of one shots and story arcs for the Mega Man and Mega Man X series, ranging from heart warming to gut-bustingly hilarious to unbelievably awesome, but the real awesome is in the most recent story arc, True Blue: Under Fire. During the storyline, X is consumed by an evil version of himself, given a Healing Factor, and Zero is faced with the task of taking him down. The sheer level of Determinator in Zero becomes a CMOA when after losing an arm, being torn apart, and welded to a wall, Zero rips himself off the wall and keeps fighting X.
- There's at least one per chapter in People Lie, a Naruto fanfic by Nugar, but the one that stands out to me the most combines not only awesome, but heartwarming and funny. Naruto and Hinata are nearly half-dead and unconscious after defeating a Shoggoth and destroying an evil cult. That's the awesome. Sasuke carries Hinata and Naruto all the way back to Konoha, being severly beaten up himself when only a few days before, there were mutual death threats between him and Hinata. That's the heartwarming. The funny comes from all three of them being entirely naked, and references to fangirls attempting to make Naked Sasuke Day a national holiday.
- In chapter 28 of the Higurashi fanfic Redemption (as well as in the last half of the story in general), several characters earn their CMOAs. The one that stands out is Mion's CMOA: She has only one gun...and manages to take down five soldiers with it. Just when it's revealed she missed one...she just shoots him a second time and he dies.
- The Halo fanfic Enemy of My Enemy is chock-full of them. These include:
- The previously-innefectual 2LT Brambley suddenly revealing his hidden badassitude and scaring the shit out of an obnoxious Obstructive Bureaucrat.
- The Hunter pair saving a group of human children from a Brute stealth-hunter pack
- Anything the Sangheili/Elite Rukth 'Kilkar does.
- A Sangheili named Marikos is informed that the human's chaingun turret can't angle up high enough to shoot down enemy Banshees... so he rips it off its hinges, blows some Banshees out of the sky, and proceeds to carry the thing around like nothing for the rest of his time in the campaign.
- The Brute-controlled Scarab getting shot in the face point-blank by artillery cannons, right after the Chieftain leading it bragged about being unstoppable.
- The method that the humans use to kill another Brute-controlled Scarab.
- The showdown between Elite sniper Zerat and the Jackal sniper "Yik, Slayer of Men", both absurdly-skilled marksmen, and how Zerat kills him
- The final showdown between Elite Shipmaster Arume and Brute High-Chieftain Torikus.
- See it here.
- The Doctor's Nightmare gets one with this ending speech:
"I'm going to kill you in order to release all these souls inside you and then I'll find a hole in the fabric of time and space and put your body inside the void. Once I seal it up, it won't matter if these dream demons bring you back to life because you'll be trapped forever between universes and there'll be nothing there for you to kill. You never shoulda messed with me, Krueger. You shoulda run and hid the moment you figured out I'm not an average human. You think you're humanity's worst nightmare? Well, I'm yours. Because when I get through with you, you'll wish you'd never been born."
To clarify what has just happened, the Tenth Doctor has just beaten Freddy Krueger
and he's telling him what will happen.
- Chapter 13 of the Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic Outcast: "That boy just so happens to be my gormless, Yankee, muggle. So. Kindly. Step. OFF!"
- In Malign Contingency by Edcrab, the author has essentially taken the Half-Life setting and introduced so many additional factions that it borders on original fiction. The story waddles along sedately and inconsistently until the finale, when the grand plan becomes clear, including a segment where Forty the Combine Elite finally does something remotely relevant and slaughters the alien assassin that's been stalking the main characters since the outset, and then proceeds to murder his way through the crew of an entire starship to demonstrate to his superiors that he's not a failed project. Part of it is the sheer relief that he didn't deliver the smackdown to the good guys...
- Really? Read it and I'd say the evil Ass Pull that sees the whole group killed by a Strider was better... cos it turns out that the supercomputer has finally used the teleportation technology which is apparently so wonderfull for the Domarians, and it hasn't been forgotten about. That and the saw-it-coming-but-loved-it-anyway reunion ending
- Sailor Moon: Millennials by The Judge seems determined to give a couple dozen of these to each of the Senshi, but one that stands out in particular comes from Hotaru of all people. During a sequence in which the Senshi are scattered across time and space thanks to a mishap with the Gates of Time, Hotaru finds herself alone in a tropical jungle in the Jurassic period, and the situation is testing her patience. She's tired, she's sweating buckets, and she's quite thoroughly pissed off about the whole incident, so when a T-rex decides to take an interest in her, little firefly snaps and gives it a DEATH GLARE FROM HELL.
Saturn: Don't. Even. Think. About. It.
Rex: *Turns and runs for its life*
- From The Hokage's Will by Airhead dude, we have the long anticipated Naruto vs Sasuke match. Naruto basically outclasses Sasuke in taijutsu-with Sasuke having no defense against Sage Mode Phantom Punches, so Sasuke amps up the ally by going fully incomplete Susano'o, thinking he has it won now. Know what Naruto does? Toss the Rasenshuriken into the Susano'o...and completely and utterly SHATTERS it like glass. So. Awesome.
- The Fruits Basket Western fic (That's right, you heard me!) The Swordsman And The Gunslinger is made of this, and gives each protagonist a CMOA. The first one is when Kyo Sohma, the titular swordsman, takes out three gunmen win thirty seconds, armed only with a katana. This establishes him as the premier Badass of the fic.
- Graveyard Shift, a Mass Effect novelization being written by the same author behind Tiberium Wars and Forward, has one for Wrex almost right off the bat, when a trio of assassins dressed up as C-Sec officers show up and try to "arrest" him. Wrex chats with them for a bit before suddenly killing all three in the span of a couple of seconds with casual and insulting ease. Then he tells off the leader of the group, saying he's really disappointed with him for the "fake arrest routine."
- Michael, Action Survivor main character for Toy Hammer, gets an extended one for not only being able to - through diplomacy, threats and friendship (also, impressing the commanders with his fire extinguisher - he manages to get the Human, Eldar, Tau and even Ork forces of Warhammer 40,000 to not only stop fighting, but to co-exist (more or less) and even - when the need arose - to fight as one, we have to give him a Crowning Moment of Awesome... or a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Also, we have one for Sohm Vekt, a person who is normally considered a Red Shirt, being able to gun down multiple Super Soldier Space Marines while his team is dying all around him... he's barely able to stand or crawl afterwards, sure, but this guy just punched out several guys way above his pay grade.
- Chapter 21: Chaos forces seem to be winning but the GOD EMPEROR OF MANKIND shows up in the very ticked of and very powerful flesh, and basically has the Chaos forces all void their bowels, by just appearing there.
- The Middle Ground (an epic Naruto fanfiction) has many - Tenten beating the hell out of Tandea Shun, the Smug Snake and then sticking a sword through his heart when he gets up to attack her the last time. Tracking Shino into the middle of a warzone then landing in front of him to defend him from enemy shinobi all righteous fury. Team Gai taking down bandits with an air of boredom. Shino using his bugs to tickle someone into submission in a fight. Aburame Katsu (Shino's grandfather) using tea as a weapon... oh there are just too many!
- The Neon Genesis Evangelion fic Father has one in Chapter 5, when Asuka's father Erik (and his wife "Mrs. Soryu") visit after hearing rumors (true ones) that Asuka has gotten pregnant. Long story short, things devolve quickly, leading to Mr. Soryu shoving his pregnant daughter with such force that it slams her into a nearby wall hard enough to knock her unconscious. Before anyone else knows what's happening, Shinji (Asuka's fiancé) has one-hit-KO'd Mrs. Soryu (being grazed by a bullet fired by her) and pinned Mr. Demon-Dad to the wall by the throat, having fully given himself over to the inner berserker and trying to crush the man's neck with his bare hands. Later, as Mr. Soryu storms up to Gendo in his office and threatens all sorts of retaliations, Gendo calmly and efficiently shoots down each and every one of the man's threats with logical and legal rebuttals. And when the man disowns Asuka and states that he'll leave her penniless and alone, Gendo reveals that Kyoko had left Asuka her entire estate and (considerably large) fortune to Asuka, and that SEELE (in this story now a new incarnation loyal to Gendo) have discovered that Mr. Soryu has embezzled/stolen his late wife's - now Asuka's - money, and that Mr. Soryu and his wife are now under arrest. Gendo then closes the conversation and finally blows his top at the man:
"On a rather more personal note, allow me to tell you this: Do not mess with my family
! You brandished a gun in my son's home, with the proof being a wound on the back of his hand! You throw my future daughter-in-law against the wall, endangering her and her baby! I may be considered a total bastard by everyone else, and I gladly use members of my own family to further our goals, but I will NOT allow anyone else to jeopardize their lives
! And despite what I may wish, your daughter is about to become family, thus she is under MY protection! Is this understood, Soryu? She is to become an Ikari, no questions asked."
- And then Fuyutsuki punches Soryu in the stomach hard enough to K.O. him, just for good measure.
Fuyutsuki: Sorry, Commander. It seems my fist slipped. I apologize.
Gendo (dismissively): Ah. Well, don't let it happen again. By the way, Fuyutsuki, make sure he and his wife leave Japan as soon as possible. I think there is a military cargo flight bound for Germany leaving shortly. See to it they are on it before it leaves, will you?
Fuyutsuki: By your command.
- Few fanfics mimic their source material as perfectly as Houseplants of Gor, a parody of John Norman's Gor series. It's simultaneously a CMOA and a CMOF.
- The Tales of Vesperia fanfic "The Overlooking Crown", the sequel to "Black Brigade", has the fourth chapter stop a rebellion in the most awesome way possible. You have to read it.
- One excellent Yu-Gi-Oh! fic by the name of Homecoming featured the long-suffering Ryou Bakura, always portrayed as the helpless woobie in fanfiction, finally being pushed to his breaking point and slamming Yami Bakura in the face with a freaking baseball bat.
- There's the Mass Effect Self Insert Mass Vexations, during which Author Avatar Art finds himself having to drive the Mako after Shepard suffers a hand injury. Aside from turning that entire section into a not-too-subtle Back to the Future reference, it's a moment of awesome on its own given that Art successfully drives Shepard and the crew to the Conduit. What makes it even better is that it's the cap of an entire fic's worth of character development for Art; he's gone from someone who's never fired a firearm to a very good soldier by Alliance standards.
- The Zelda FanFic The Legend of Zelda: Exoria: Link, a member of Hylian Joint Intelligence, needs to find a vehicle which he can use to get Princess Zelda out of the city. He finds the MRX402A ULATRV, codename Epona, and proceeds to avoid two road blocks (blowing up one and avoiding the other by getting up on the curb and turning into an alley), outrun or lose a total of Humvees, outrun the crumbling of a highway cause by one of two attack helicopters shooting out the support with a missile, trick one attack helicopter into crashing into a building, drive up a breaking tree to get on the upper level of a highway, fend off two gunsword wielders also on motorcycles, jump off one end of a drawbridge to land on the other, dodge a missile of the remaining helicopter whose blast cloud destroys said helicopter, and outrun a fricken' spider mecha .
- Kyon Big Damn Hero has Kyon vs Yakuza, numerous times. All of them count: one was a Big Damn Heroes moment, another was with Nagato and they beat 24 Yakuza, and the third is another Big Damn Heroes moment that hasn't happened yet. It's Kyon on his own against 12 Yakuza.
- It finally happened, and it was even more awesome than the fight with 24 Yakuza.
- Then there was what he did to intimidate Mori... Dynamic Entry involving jumping from thirty feet up unharmed, handing an eavesdropper to the Organisation, and blackmailing her. With no prior planning.
- From the Doctor Who Dark Fic "Psycho Savior, qu'est-ce que c'est?", five words:
Ninth Doctor: Ha, ha! Drank your death.
- In Chapter 34 of Task Force 43, the titular Starfleet task force aides the Earth Alliance in fighting off the Minbari at Proxima. The Minbari later get a crowning moment of awesome when Delenn helps Mars by not allowing Earth Force from attacking them after Mars had joined the Federation.
- Ghosts of the Future, a Sonic fan-comic gets one around the Secret Rings arc with "I'm the ghost writer of this story". (Another bit of awesome, look at the improvement in the art) There was also "Let's get dangerous", but that was great for different reasons.
- Children of the Blue, a Blue Gender fanfic, features the scene where Yuji's son is kidnapped, and two of the kidnappers have been caught and are now being interrogated. The interrogator? Marlene Angel, who happens to be the kidnapped boy's mother. The kidnappers decide to cop an attitude. Anyone who's watched the show knows exactly how well that's going to work.
Marlene: Where did they take my son?
Kidnapper #1: Bite me.
Marlene: Where did they take my son?
- FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814, an offshoot story of Takamachi Nanoha Of 2814, has Archer fighting the Wolkeritter by himself. Through a combination of Tracing, emotional manipulation based on his memories, and Unlimited Blade Works, he starts creating power rings. He starts with enraging the Wolkenritter by threatening Hayate, using their rage to make a Red ring (and making a giant angry construct of Rin), drawing on their love for her to make a Violet ring, and using Signum's will, Vita's hope, and Zafira's compassion to make Green, Blue, and Indigo. Despite bleeding from everywhere from the strain, he blasts them all with a Ring-Construct Starlight Breaker big enough to be seen from orbit and uses their fear to make a Yellow ring.
- Of course, all of that was to free them and the Book of Darkness from Angra Mainyu's corruption, upon which he willfully surrenders his Linker Core to help save Hayate's life. Even if you don't like him, you have to admit he always has style.
- A series of novelisations of the Half-Life games, The Black Mesa Incident and Welcome to City 17, are full to the brim with this trope, mostly by virtue of Gordon Freeman being Gordon Freeman. Even by his standards there are plenty of exceptional moments, including Gordon destroying a Gunship by dropping a piece of a bridge on it, destroying another Gunship by directing it into a Strider's warp cannon, then destroying that same Strider by riding on top of it and jamming a grenade into it, and killing the Nihilanth using nothing but his trusty crowbar, driving it straight into its brain.
- ALL of
Chapter Episode 15 of Power Rangers GPX.
- Supernatural: Deterioration of Reason features an OC!Gabriel fighting a demon who had kidnapped, tortured and humiliated Castiel. Gabriel's Berserk Button was already pushed and he was already beating the crap out of the demon. But the moment the demon implied that he did something else to Castiel, even God himself has had enough. This sentence said it all.
It was the response of an incensed Father
to the torture and ridicule of one of his sons, it was the vengeful mark of the Lord himself.
- In the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fic ''Stahlkönigin: Nanoha using full power, blaster-3 Starlight Breaker to destroy a target with MASSIVE magic defense? Business as usual. Vivio withstanding the same attack for a minute or more in order to block it from hitting civilian buildings? Epic.
- The Homestuck fanfiction We're All Doomed has many, so I'll just list a few:
- Chapter 3: Future Gamzee 2 manages to throw off his murderous past self's tirade with one word: HoNk.
- Chapter 9: Tavros out-raps Dave. That is all.
- Chapter 12: All eleven trolls team up to beat Gamzee AND THEY MANAGE TO DO IT WITHOUT A SINGLE PERSON GETTING KILLED.
- Chapter 13: Everybody teams up, gives Doc Scratch an epic "The Reason You Suck" Speech, culminating in Sollux blowing up Doc Scratch's typewriter.
- Chapter 14: Can be summed up with the closing line: TG: lets kill us a First Guardian
- Chapter 15: Everybody teams up to beat Doc Scratch, but the best part has to be Aradia's awakening, which happens in the only way it could possibly be cooler than in canon: Aradia fools Doc Scratch into destroying her robot body while Derse explodes, wakes up, single-handedly engineers almost every major event since the timeline splintered, then goes back in time to mere seconds after she left, riding Bec. Hell yes!
- The Code Geass fanfic My Queen uses the premises that Kallen chose to stay with Lelouch instead of the Black Knights. During the Battle of Kaminejima, alone, she takes on the Royal Guard and the Knight of Twelve alone, defeating without much problems. She stands up against the Knight of One fairly, however, when the Knight of Six almost pulverizes the Shinkiro, where Lelouch was, things get ugly for her enemies. With INSANE levels of hot-bloodedness, she beheads the Mordred, much like Orange-kun, with her Radiation Wave, destroys and entire division of the Black Knights, destroys the Zangetsu, almost killing Todoh (he shouldn't have called Lelouch a demon) and destroys the Galahad, even Bismarck's Geass couldn't save him.
- The Glee fanfic And Innocents, which involves a Columbine-esque shooting at McKinley, is chock-full of these.
- There are so many in the shooting alone. First, Will Schuester reacts to the oncoming shooters by blocking the doorway to his classroom and taking every bullet the shooter unloads at him.
- Artie gets one when he gets Quinn, Santana, Mike, and Brittany out of the building, by carrying the latter three out on his lap. Two of them don't make it.
- Eric, Kurt's boyfriend (the fic was written before Blaine became a character) gets one when he takes a bullet for Kurt.
- Sue Sylvester takes a bullet for Becky. And lives.
- But the trophy goes to Finn and Puck, who take down both shooters in the music room, stopping them from killing Kurt and Eric, or anyone else. Finn then goes on to keep Puck and Eric alive until the paramedics get there.
- Finn gets another CMOA in the aftermath. Eric had been driven out of his home by his violently homophobic mother and brother and was now living with Finn and Kurt. [[spoiler:His brother stops by to try to force him to come back, so that he can "bring him out of his perverted lifestyle." The brother attacks Kurt and Eric. Finn
- Chapter 16 of the Code Geass fic Code Geass Megiddo. The Ikaruga is about to be destroyed by the Avalon. In response Kallen using her geass to spot the shield weak points declares, "Lelouch... This is my miracle!" and attacks and shoots down the Avalon by herself.
- The Family Guy fic Payback from a Pipe has Stewie beats up Quagmire after he beat Brain in Quagmire's Dad then he calls Glenn out on his hypocrisy over the stuff he said to Brain and deals him a "Reason You Suck" Speech and makes Quagmire apologize to Brain. Fro those who hate how Glenn has been treating Brian lately this is perfect for you.
- In a cutway in ch.38 of Family Guy's The Spellbook which a I call "Aquaman's Revenge"
Peter dressed as Black Manta: Surrender, you fool! We all know that you have no powers out of water!
Aquaman: Outrighteous! I can't believe that you don't know that this is [[Batman: The Brave and the Bold]]!
Peter: Ohhhhhhhhhhh shi-
- Poland, in the Hetalia fanfiction 1940: Lithuania. He spends the first two thirds of the story alternating between being forced to work in a factory making uniforms for German soldiers and getting beaten up by Russia and locked in his room for several days at a time for not knowing when to shut up. Then Lithuania sneaks into Poland's room and finds out that Poland has been running an organized resistance movement from his closet this whole time and mailing instructions to his rebel forces by climbing out of his second story window and sneaking off to the post office, mailing the coded letters, then climbing back into his room, despite the fact that he is seriously weakened because Germany and Russia are killing so many of his people. Also, he blew up one of Germany's ammunition factories offscreen.
- In the Lucky Star fanfic The Day Everything Changed, after seeing Kagami be mercilessly attacked and laughed at by the fanfic's main antagonist, Konata decides that the time has come to take a stand against her friend's attacker. Despite being a foot shorter and about 75 pounds smaller, she ends up winning. What makes it even more awesome is the fact that she herself was badly beaten up during the scuffle but she still kept fighting, determined to protect Kagami from any more harm. Well done, Konata. My hat goes off to you.
- The scene where Kirby destroys Dark Matter in The Dream Land Story is undeniably awesome. Kirby manages to catch Dark Matter (which had previously shown itself to have almost perfect reaction time) off guard, giving it a ruthless beatdown with the Star Rod.
- The Doctor Who fic Invisible Road gives us this awesome Badass Boast:
The Sontarans call me a warrior. The Cybermen call me a threat. And the Daleks called me the Fiveslayer. I have faced down ghosts and blood-drinkers, sun-eaters and world-burners. And if you, or any of your silly little ships, want to take anyone off this planet, you tell them Ace McShane will be waiting for them.note
- A Happy Ending, a L.A. Noire fanfic taking place after the ending, has Jack Kelso killing Roy Earle.
Roy Earle: Los Angeles is a big city, Jack. The police will find you, I swear it!
Jack Kelso: Then I don't care.
- Slightly meta, but the existence of Yuletide. Fans from around the world get together once a year to give each other presents in the form of stories for small fandoms. Several of the fandom categories on Archive of Our Own were created just for Yuletide. As December becomes the month of Yuletide with fans gushing about how much and why they love such-and-such small fandom, the craziness of the chats, the hippos leaping in to help out, anyone who rushes in for a last minute beta during Yuletide madness, the army of pitch hitters standing by to make sure no one goes without a Yuletide story... It's all GLORIOUS
- Heads is Heads, a Battle Royale fanfic involving Kazuo starting up a Program resistance group. Eventually, he, Shinji, Shuya, and about ten of the other students succeed in blowing up the school and escaping Okishima.
Shinji Mimura: I...have lived the dream...I have done what every student in the world dreams of...I have blown up the school!
- Getting Even With the Girls, a Persona 4 fanfic, has the boys pulling pranks on the girls as revenge for the incident at the Amagi Inn. As soon as the girls open their gifts, they got owned; Chie got hit with a boxing glove, Yukiko got a bomb exploding on her, Rise got hit with a paintball, and Naoto got a pie on her face. Sweet revenge, indeed.
Yosuke: I think we handle that very maturely.
Yu: Yes, that felt good.
(The girls got owned by their "gifts")
Yu: That felt better.
Yosuke: Yeah, it did.
- The pro wrestling fanfic, A Ring Of Their Own climaxes with a match between Molly Holly and Victoria - two out of three falls, no time limit, loser gets their head shaved. The match runs the entire length of the show and goes down as one of the greatest matches in pro wrestling history.
- Chapter 6 of Soda at 70 proof, a Codename: Kids Next Door Numbuh 86/Numbuh 362 Slash Fic, has a truly awesome moment for the now-teenaged 362/Rachel, when she is captured by the Teen Ninjas. She starts by playing Distressed Damsel, fooling her guard into revealing all necessary intel, then breaks free and beats him up. She is then bound with chains and handcuffs and confronted by Chad Dickson who tries to brainwash her with a Boyfriend Helmet. She breaks free of the chains, and short-cicuits the Helmet, blacking out the room and giving herself a heart attack in the process. And then this happen:
She trails off and is silent for a moment, then, "Do you know why you were undefeated? While you were with the KND, I mean. Do you know why your sparring record was spotless?"
"Well, yeah," Chad scoffs. "It's because I was the best. Still am."
"No," Rachel whispers. A shiver runs up Chad's spine. "It's because you never fought me."
- Naruto:Asunder: Hinata plans and performs a coup with only 5 people (Her, Naruto, Lee, Shino and Shikamaru) where she becomes Clan Head (by defeating her father), Naruto has removed the Caged-Bird seal from every Branch member and Lee, Shino and Shikamaru take down all the elders and Main Branch members. The coup was planned in 3 years. It successfully went off in 2 hours.
- Naruto, Hinata and Lee's Dying Moment of Awesome. Naruto creates a mini-black hole to kill Madara. Lee breaks Samehada with a kick before punching Kisame out of existence. Hinata turns Zetsu into (acidic) liquid.
-  Kojiokida2's Sonic X fanfics take the HSQ and break it multiple times over!
- Nazo, in this series the fusion of Sonic and Shadow defeating Metal Overlord by shoving a Chaos Control warp right in his face!
- Amy, of all people, finally managing use of the Chaos Emeralds. Who does she fight? Dark Super Sonic!!
- Sonic completely smoking Jet in their final race. Note that unlike Sonic Riders, Sonic runs on his feet, being more true to his character.
- In the Grand Finale Sonic ascends to Hyper Sonic by merging the Chaos and Sol emeralds, and supplies his power to virtually everybody in the main cast, giving them the ability to turn super in order to stop Mephiles and Iblis.
- In the RWBY fic "Massages", misunderstandings make most of the school think Jaune is having sex with several of the girls (he isn't; he just gives really good massages). Cardin, who is rather jealous, ambushes Jaune along with his boys. Then, he starts talking about he plans to "show them who's better in bed" all while he and the other three beat the crap out of Jaune, not noticing that Jaune is getting angrier and angrier with every word. Once Carden finishes listing what he'll do to the girls with Pyrrha, Jaune goes completely berserk. With his Aura "exploding around him like a white inferno" with enough force to melt concrete, he brutally KO's all three of Cardin's lackeys in one blow, and then proceeds to demolish Cardin, caving in his family-heirloom chestplate armor with a single punch, blocking his mace attack with his bare hand, and then finishes Cardin with a blow "that packed as much punch as Nora's famous hammer". It takes Headmaster Ozpin knocking Jaune unconscious to stop him from killing Cardin (though he mainly stepped in because Jaune was in very real danger of fatally burning himself out from how much Aura he was using).
- A New World: The Story of A Lost Shinobi has many. Special mention goes to the Phantom Arc, with highlights like Naruto redirecting Jupiter by PUNCHING IT!
- The climax of the Soul Eater fic What It Means To Lose Control, specifically, how Stein breaks Medusa's influence over him: he performs surgery on himself to remove the snake she's placed in his body, ending with him pulling the thing out of his insides with his bare hands. He takes the opportunity to gloat to Medusa (she can hear and see him with the snake) about how she's finally lost, and then blows the snake up with a Soul Menace .
Stein: You lose, Medusa. Your hold on me is gone. It never occurred to you that I had a chance, did it? That I'd have the strength, the mental composure to excise you from myself? You thought it was only a matter of time before I returned to you and let you put my broken mind back together as you saw fit. I'll never go back to you. Good-bye, Medusa.
- Being Meiling is pretty much one giant one for one of the Touhou fandom's biggest Butt Monkeys. Highlights include:
- In the very first thread, when Marisa shows up to steal books from Patchouli, Meiling simply snatches her mini-hakkero out of her hands and plays a game of monkey-in-the-middle with Sakuya.
- It gets better when Aya shows up, showing all of Gensokyo what happened. And Marisa's Humiliation Conga doesn't end there...
- Her fight with Yuugi. It ends with Ancient City in an absolute shambles, though for the oni, it's just another Tuesday.
- In the second-to-last thread, what does Meiling do with a pyromaniac fairy, a magnet gun, a chemical sprayer filled with flammable foam, an air horn, a couple of billy clubs, and a wardrobe of fetish-y outfits? Why, humiliate the Watatsuki Sisters, of course.
- In the last thread, when the aforementioned pyromaniac fairy goes mad with power after finding Kaguya's robe of the fire rat, Meiling calms her down with The Power of Friendship.
- In A Drop Of Poison, Hinata defends the infirmary during the Invasion using the same technique she used to defeat Neji. By the time the fourth wave of attackers arrives, they have to jump over the corpses of their comrades to even enter the room.