open/close all folders
- In the final match, Czechoslovakia was winning against World Cup champions West Germany by 2-0 but the Germans recovered and the match went to a penalty-shootout. After Uli Hoeness missed the fourth penalty, Czechoslovakia could win the tournament if it scored the last penalty. Here's one of the most famous penalties in the history of football.
- This penalty remains famous to the point of, whenever someone scores a penalty In the Style of... this one, it is considered a "Panenka-penalty".
- Ireland winning 1-0 against England on their first game in their first appearance in a final stage in the Euro. It is still fondly remembered by the Irish.
- Marco Van Basten's goal against West Germany. One of the best goals...EVER!
- Denmark winning the tournament. Players came to the tournament directly off vacation, after being called up due to the disqualification of Jugoslavia, and won the entire thing.
- Portuguese goalkeeper Ricardo defending the decisive penalty and then scoring the winning penalty against England. With his gloves off!
- Just...Greece national team. Considered by the bookmakers the weakest team of the tournament, they defeated Portugal in the opening match, caused the elimination of Spain, defeated France in the quarters, Czech Republic in the semis with a gol in the extra-time, and finally defeating again Portugal, the host country, winning the trophy.
- Turkey can be considered this. In the final group match they faced Czech Republic, and were forced to win to advance in the knockout stage. Well, losing 2-1, they scored twice in the last two minutes, ended up winning, advacing to the knockout stage and eliminating Czech Republic in the process. In the Quarterfinals they did it again against Croatia. after no one scoring in the first 90 minutes, Croatia scored at the 119th minute of the extra-time, but Turkey scored the equalizer one minute later, in the last action of the match, and ended up winning at the penalties. They had to surrender only to Germany in the semifinals.
- Despite one of the best teams of the tournament, Spain victory can be considered this. They won their first trophy in 44 years, after decades of humiliation they gained the glory, winning the World Cup two years later and succeeding in defending this trophy again (the first team able to do so)
- Andriy Shevchenko, one of the best players in the decade, in the opening match for Ukraine scored twice at 36 years, in front of his fans, in his own country, helping defeat Sweden. They were the last goals scored by Shevchenko, who retired after the tournament. What a goodbye.