Awesome: European Championship
open/close all folders
- In the final match, Czechoslovakia was winning against World Cup champions West Germany by 2-0 but the Germans recovered and the match went to a penalty-shootout. After Uli Hoeness missed the fourth penalty, Czechoslovakia could win the tournament if it scored the last penalty. Here's one of the most famous penalties in the history of football.
- This penalty remains famous to the point of, whenever someone scores a penalty In the Style of... this one, it is considered a "Panenka-penalty".
- Ireland winning 1-0 against England on their first game in their first appearance in a final stage in the Euro. It is still fondly remembered by the Irish.
- Marco Van Basten's goal against West Germany. One of the best goals...EVER!
- Denmark winning the tournament. Players came to the tournament, directly off vacation, and won the entire thing.
- Portuguese goalkeeper Ricardo defending the decisive penalty and then scoring the winning penalty against England. With his gloves off!