Awesome: Diamond In The Rough
Added based on the reactions of test viewers. Awesome Moments from released episodes will be out in the open. Awesome Moments from the movie will be in a separate folder.
In-Series Moments of Awesome:
- Marisa's introduction. Marisa is working on her Mini Hakkero reactor in a cluttered house while grilling meat and rocking out to her theme song, just before blowing up a Reimu doll, only to be disappointed that it didn't make a big enough explosion. In just twenty seconds, you know everything you need to know about Marisa.
- Alice's introduction and the ensuing battle between her dolls and Komachi's fairies.
- Miko vs. EX-Rumia would have been this if Brolli wasn't the character we were forced to watch.
- What little we do see of the EX-Rumia incident is quite the spectacle: Byakuren evacuating civilians, Nue and Mamizou teaming up to trick fairies into giving away Rumia's location, and Sanae's Establishing Character Moment when she saves Marisa and asks about how cool she looked spouting a one-liner.
- After Brolli refuses to use his beasts to save the human village from EX-Rumia and Sakuya tells him she can't go because Remilia has banned her from resolving incidents for the time being, Sakuya freezes time to replace Brolli's beret with a pie and tells him off for his cowardice. Also overlaps as a Funny Moment.
- In episode 11. Marisa punches Brolli, when he badmouthed Reimu and claimed Marisa hated her, stating that even if she is her rival, Reimu is also her best friend. And that even with her selfish tendencies, Marisa would give her life to protect the balance of Gensokyo. Also doubles as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- In episode 12, Tenshi pretty much proves that she is The Chessmaster by revealing that that she knew all along that Brolli and the new gappy, and played dumb, so that he would lower her guard and that she would be able to learn his secrets, and manipulate him into involving all of Gensokyo in an incident as well as her plans to make the entirety of Gensokyo feel the consequences of a Gappy's death to prevent them from helping future Gappies.
- The Diamondback Beasts vs. Flandre. It's every bit as destructive as you could imagine, but more importantly, it shows off Canon Flandre, fighting to save the Scarlet Devil Mansion from the Diamondback Beasts, even fighting fairly by Spell Card Rules. In a meta Moment Of Heartwarming, the entire Ustream crowd was cheering on Flandre during the fight's production.
- Reimu and Marisa deciding to quit aiding Brolli, get him out of Gensokyo, and stop the incident themselves. Marisa takes down Chen and Ran by herself while Reimu gets a big She's Back moment fighting two celestials at the same time. For a moment, the story feels 100% vanilla, only for Brolli to come right back into Gensokyo.
- After Brolli spends the movie doing everything he can to help himself at the expense of everyone else, Reimu slaps him in the face and delivers a speech about his Marty Stu antics with subtext about how audiences react to Marty Stu characters. This comes back to bite Reimu when she's one of the few left to mourn Brolli.
Reimu: THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU AND YOUR NEEDS, BROLLI!!! This world has existed for thousands of years without you, and it will exist a thousand more after you are gone. You are not a hero. You're not even a likable human being! You're just a bratty foreigner taking a vacation in a realm you don't belong in! Soon, you will realize just how much everyone hates you, and you will die the same humiliating death of all of the previous and future outsiders, and because Gensokyo will always return to the status quo, your death will mean *NOTHING*.
- Another thing worth mentioning: Reimu, who has been reduced to a tour guide for Gappy Stus, is not just going to partake in another incident, but with Genji and her old PC-98 outfit since her ability to fly has been cut off by the mist, and her old outfit is more suited for an incident of this size.
- Doubling as a Heartwarming Moment, when everyone wants to kill Brolli when it turns out that is what will resolve the incident, Reimu of all people is the one to tell everyone to stop, thus proving that even though Reimu can be a bitch and she may hate Gappies, she is still the protector of Gensokyo and its people.
- Brolli finally admitting he's not a Colonel: he was gapped to Gensokyo by Yukari.
- Miko's Armor Piercing Questions, utterly destroying any justification behind Brolli's Marty Stu excuses. Keep in mind Miko cannot use the full extent of her powers during Tenshi's mist, but she can still perfectly break down why Brolli acts the way he does, and then build up why he's so much stronger without his powers.
- Reimu, reduced to a background character for so long thanks to Marty Stu gappies, finally shows the Myouren temple how to properly resolve an incident.
*Reimu fires "Fantasy Seal - YOU JUST PLAIN F#&@ING LOSE!!!"*virtually every fairy surrounding the Moriya Shrine is blown to bits**the remaining fairies try to shoot Reimu, but she jumps off of Genji to dodge the bullets, destroys them with her wand and amulets, and hops back on Genji*Reimu: Move up to the shrine, you cowards!
- A Crowning Moment of Everything, Brolli and Nitori reuniting in the Kappa Valley, given the fact Nitori has been in Fanon pushover mode up until this point.
Brolli: Nitori, I'm here to save you!Nitori: Funny you say that: I'M HERE TO KILL YOU!!!*An army of Kappa proceed to fire on Brolli*
- Before given context, Marisa trying to fulfill her promise to Reimu to kill Brolli if he goes to far. After Miko, Reisen, and Alice start gunning down the surviving Kappa, Marisa shoots Alice in the back and decides to save the Kappa herself. Cue Oriental Dark Flight and a soul-powered Master Spark. Possibly subverted in the final cut when you realize beforehand Yukari wanted to convince Marisa she's didn't want to protect the gappies as much as she thought she did, making her eat her own words about Reimu earlier...
- The inevitable Brolli vs. Tenshi fight, where-in Brolli must fight Tenshi without his powers and only one life while she has three. The entire fight is fully animated, and each one of Tenshi's attacks come straight from Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, including one of her spell card attacks. Brolli, finally putting his training and huge supply of swords to good use, survives a full three rounds, even destroying one of her keystones with a fire axe.
- Virtually everything that happens in the plot to save Brolli that's not a Tear Jerker: Sakuya knifing Sanae, Reimu's Heroic Sacrifice, Momiji's Big Damn Heroes moment, and Aya and Momiji taking on the Kappa Valley together.
- Brolli's Death, which is a Crowning Moment of Everything. Tenshi reveals that she chose to fight Brolli because she wanted to do it before everyone else did, and even if he did win, everyone else would kill him. Faced with obvious death, Brolli decides he'll ''let himself'' die, but not before defeating Tenshi, thus resolving both the incident and making Gensokyo feel safer by removing himself entirely. Tenshi gloats that Brolli has no more weapons or powers, and wonders how he'll beat her, just before Brolli walks in front of her speech bubble and punches her out before screaming, "I *WILL* BEAT YOU! WITHOUT SWORDS, WITHOUT ANY POWERS!," just as the soundtrack swells to a climax. He then proceeds to beat the everloving SHIT out of Tenshi before she can even use her final attack, all while crying, screaming, and going ATATATATATATA!!! He finally draws with her by punching her out while getting stabbed in the neck. In addition, Brolli's last stand is animated at a much higher frame rate than the other battle scenes and has fluid physics such as blood and Brolli's tears, making it the most detailed fight scene in the movie. For most of the Ustream audience, this is the moment Brolli is Rescued from the Scrappy Heap.
- The fact that Brolli manages to draw with Tenshi, considering the story builds her up as the only character to have never legitimately lost a battle.
- The real reason Tenshi caused the incident: not just to Mercy Kill Brolli, but to drag Sanae, the Myouren Temple, and the rest Brolli's enemies over the Moral Event Horizon for wanting to kill an innocent boy. To solidify Tenshi's plans, Tenshi will reveal the truth about the incident to everyone if Sanae or Byakuren attacks, and they will have to go through the horror Brolli just went through. In other words, they wanted to save Gensokyo by killing a boy who only wanted to save Gensokyo, so Tenshi turned the tables on them. Also doubles as a Heartwarming Moment when you realize Tenshi didn't kill Brolli because she hated him, but to save him, as the incident led to him finally realizing the errors of his ways, and she got revenge on everyone who hated him through a Zero-Approval Gambit.
- In addition to this, Tenshi's gambit manages to disprove everyone's talk that all Celestials are sociopaths, turning the mirror on them all and showing them they're Not So Different.
- Before the incident, Komachi tells Brolli any Gappy that has to see Shiki Eiki, the highest judge at The Ministry of Right and Wrong, is pretty much automatically sentenced to Hell. When Brolli dies, Brolli is trapped in Shiki's court, knowing there's nothing he can do and that he'll soon no longer exist, Forced to Watch all of his friends suffering the after-effects of his death. Rather than demand a second chance like all of the other Gappies, Brolli, already too far past the Despair Event Horizon to seek any form of hope, quietly and willingly asks to be sent to Hell. For being the first Gappy to take responsibility for his actions, Shiki lets Brolli get reincarnated. Doubles as a Heartwarming Moment and/or Tear Jerker.
Meta Moments of Awesome:
- A personal one for Spaztique and the real Colonel Diamondback: The incomplete film drove that actual Colonel Diamondback into rethinking his writing practices. The video that followed was so good that Spaztique now incorporates it into the movie as one of the major turning points.
- After going into a screening blind, fanfic writer ChibiFenrix, under the name ChibiChen, wrote a Reconstruction of the Gappy Stu concept titled Mind The Gap with barely any research into the Touhou series at all. After asking the normally harsh Spaztique to riff it/critique it, he couldn't find any fault in it. In fact, Spaztique will adapt it after Diamond In The Rough.