- Every single confrontation between Tetsuo and the military, the incident on the carrier being of particular note.
- Kaneda's motorcycle is practically the embodiment of awesomeness, and is of crucial help to its driver through all the death and destruction unfolding across Neo-Tokyo.
- The Colonel from AKIRA gets his when he's arrested by the Supreme Executive Council:
Colonel: Enough! Open up your eyes and look at the big picture; You're all puppets of corrupt politicians and capitalists. Don't you understand, it's utterly pointless to fight each other.
- Kaneda's very first fight with Tetsuo. After the latter literally ran through an army, Kaneda fought him and nearly won.
- The resurrection of Akira.
- Seeing Possessed!Kei take on Tetsuo was pretty awesome, even if it only lasted for a few seconds.
- When the army has been obliterated, when the ace-in-the-hole SOL satellite has been knocked out of orbit, and when Tetsuo's powers are reaching godlike proportions, does Colonel Shikishima give up? No, instead he goes to Tetsuo to try to convince him to surrender, and when that fails shoots him with a pistol. It fails, but the sheer audacity of trying that on Tetsuo when the Colonel knows exactly what he is capable of is just astounding.
- In a Meta example, the Visual Effects of Awesome of the animated film, especially during Tetsuo's horrific mutation sequence. Kudos to all of the animators who made that terrifying Animation Bump possible!
- Doubly awesome as it was one of the first anime films to make its way to Western audiences, and it was this film that shattered all barriers on what anime was capable of.