Anime: Wonder Beat Scramble
Aliens from the planet Vijure search for the key to the secret of all life by infiltrating human bodies. This usually doesn't end well for the humans, so the White Pegasus Team and their ship the Wonder Beat fight them.
This series provides example of:
- Aliens Speaking English - Japanese in this case, but still both used and subverted. The audience, by necessity, is able to understand the Vijurian speech, but the characters in-universe need a translator.
- Apocalypse How - Several planets in the path of Asteroid X-23/Vijuria have suffered at least Class 2, possibly up to Class 4. Captain Sugita's refusal to inflict Class X on it starts the series's plot. Vijuria itself supposedly suffered an industrial Class 1 at some point, and survivors moved underground, altering their bodies to cope.
- Bizarre Alien Biology - The Vijurians. They're missing some fairly prominent organs, like a stomach, even if their general structure doesn't seem too different.
- Edutainment - Fairly obvious with the way supposed experts in medical procedures go out of their way to explain to their teammates how things work in a human body.
- Everything Is An I Pod In The Future - The Wonder Beat.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot - The whole series. Overlaps with Womb Level because most of the fighting takes place inside the patients' bodies.
- For Massive Damage - After early Monsters proved too easy to beat, Vijurians started designing them tougher, with hard-to-find "hearts" that served as the monster's only weak spot.
- Gunship Rescue - Wonder Beat performs this several times, saving EVA teams from all kinds of trouble.
- Midseason Upgrade - Several, including Susumu's Electro-Boomerang, the EVA Units' Twin Beam Laser, and a whole new ship. Except the last one, they are very rarely used.
- Monster of the Week - More or less, practically every episode that isn't part of a two-episode arc features a new Monster made by Vijurians.
- Mooks - The Vijurian soldiers are omnipresent, but quite competent when dealing with invaders, most of the time. The real Mooks are the Attack Drones, complete with programming straight out of Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy's IT department.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands - Even if you write it off as the crew being Crazy-Prepared since Wonder Beat is still a medical ship, the sheer amount of various devices used to cure the patients is somewhat surprising.
- No Export for You - The series was never broadcast in an English-speaking country, but did get some air time in USSR (and, supposedly, Germany).
- Title Drop - Despite her using "Wonder Beat, launch!" for most of the series, the very last episode has Captain Lee shout "Wonder Beat, Scramble!" when initiating the micronizer from a hyperspace transporter inside the Vijurian base.
- Zee Rust - There's a prominent lack of cellphones and flat monitors, but other than that the series manages to look fairly futuristic even today.