A long running meta-series
by Tatsunoko Production
, the Time Bokan
meta-series typically involves a Battle Couple
, a Robot Buddy
, and Mini-Mecha
based off animals stopping a Terrible Trio
(maybe even THE
Terrible Trio) from doing misdeeds.
The first in the series was the aforementioned Time Bokan
in 1975. It involved the aforementioned Battle Couple traveling through time to find a Plot Coupon
and a missing scientist, while racing and going up against a Terrible Trio consisting of a Fat and Skinny
male duo and a Stripperiffic
female. Following this it was decided that Time Bokan would become a meta-series and each of the sequels would carry the name as a subtitle.
The second series in 1977 would become the longest and arguably most memorable in the entire meta-series: Yatterman
. While maintaining a similar plot as well as having Expies
of the heroes and villains, the story this time didn't involve time travel, instead opting for a Sentai, "Mecha of the Week"-type format. Yatterman would eventually get a Revival
in 2008, as well as a live action adaptation in 2009. It even found itself a sequel series in 2015 with Yoru No Yatterman
, which also serves as the Time Bokan
franchise's 40th anniversary special
The rest of series: Zenderman
, and Itadakiman
would more or less feature the same concept. Some series would feature time travel, and others would be set in the present day. Yattodetaman and Ippatsuman are the only two series to not have a Battle Couple but rather a titular hero fighting the antagonists. They are also the only two series to feature Humongous Mecha
. Following a 1993 OVA involving the then seven Terrible Trios in a parody of Wacky Races
, the eighth and final series Kiramekiman
aired in 2000.
As of 2012, there are no plans to make another Time Bokan series not counting the Yatterman remake. The 1993 OVA, Time Bokan: Royal Revival
, has been licensed
by Sentai Filmworks
for a US release.
sort of became its own entity outside of the Time Bokan
franchise, it gets its own page here
Tropes found in most or all the series of Time Bokan:
Tropes specific for the series.
open/close all folders
Time Patrol Tai Otasukeman
- Big Bad: Tomomot.
- Fun With Palindromes: Tomomot (Lampshade by himself).
- Living with the Villain: as Time Cop both heroes and villain living in the police Space Station.
- Redemption Equals Death: Subverted. At the end of th series, the four villain perform a Heroic Sacrifice blowing himself up against a meterorite that is going to hit Earth. But before the explosion it can see 4 rescue ships leave the spaceship.
- Sixth Ranger: Gekigasuki as four member in addition to the Terrible trio.
- The Faceless: the mysterious boyfriend of Atasha.
- Time Cop: Both the two main characters and the villainous Terrible Trio work for the Time Patrol, whose job is to prevent alterations of history. Both the trio (which later becomes a quartet) and the good guys have secret identities, the former as the Ojamaman, who try to alter history following the whims of Big Bad, and the latter as the titular Otasukeman, who always manage to put everything back in place; so that we never see the Time Patrol actually do anything.
- Training from Hell: At the end episodes, the chief of police allows the main cast to choose randomly between the two types of training: a hard and dangerous and the other easy and enjoyable. The bad guys always end up choosing the first.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: However, in an episode, they pick the easy training (and the heroes the other)
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Atasha has green hair.