Anime: Papillon Rose
aka: Lingerie Senshi Papillon Rose
Lingerie Soldier Papillon Rose
is an ecchi
parody of the Magical Girl
genre, particularly of Sailor Moon
whose plot it borrows from heavily. Papillon Rose
started out as a web original, getting a brief OVA in 2003 and a 6-episode broadcast sequel called Papillon Rose: New Season
This series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Rose in New Season.
- Aloof Ally: Papillon V, Adonis, and Lupinus.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Cosmos
- Back from the Dead: Usually a season finale occurrence, just as in Sailor Moon.
- Bleached Underpants: A mild example: the OVA was a lot more explicit than the relatively tame TV series.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Margarette, Lily, and Dahlia, in Season G of the ONA.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Rose Orgasm Power Erection!" which was changed to "Rose Papillon Power Erection!" in "New Season."
- Calling Your Attacks: "Rose Pinkish Dynamic!" Among many others.
- The Casanova: Anne is a love-em-and-leave-em kind of girl.
- Cool Big Sis: Anne has this personality.
- Covert Pervert: Shizuku
- Crash-Into Hello: How Tsubomi and Hikaru meet.
- Ecchi: It's not quite hentai because there's no explicit sex.
- Expy: The Papillons to a good portion of the Sailor Moon cast.
- Frilly Upgrade: Rose gets one when she upgrades to Papillon Flora. In keeping with the spirit of the series, it has her wearing even less clothing than before. It also makes her hair grow.
- Gainaxing: Even though the girls' uniform clearly features a bra, they still manage quite a lot of bouncing.
- Girlish Pigtails: Tsubomi, since she's a parody of Usagi. Also Petite Rose.
- Heel-Face Turn: Dahlia started out as a minion of the villains, before being revealed as a Papillon Fighter.
- Hotter and Sexier: To Sailor Moon.
- I Know You Are In There Somewhere Fight: Rose tries this with Dahlia, to break the villains' mind control over her. It works, but not before Dahlia stabs Rose through the torso.
- Improbable Weapon User: In the OVA, Rose's main weapon is a vibrator.
- In the Name of the Moon: "Clad in sensual lingerie, I am the crimson butterfly of the night!"
- Interspecies Romance: The OVA has a scene where Rama, a cat, gives oral sex to Hikaru, a human. Ouch.
- Intimate Healing: Dahlia heals Rose by lending her some of her power. For some reason, this requires Dahlia to take her top off.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: At the beginning of "New Season," the girls have been made to forget their identities as Papillons.
- Magical Girl Warrior: A parody.
- Meaningful Name:
- "Tsubomi" means "flower bud."
- Also, Petite Rose's main attack is "Pinkish Paipan!" "Paipan" means a person who lacks pubic hair, either because of shaving or youth.
- Meganekko: Shizuku
- Meido: In "New Season," the girls work at a Maid Cafe in Akihabara.
- Mentor Mascot: Rama, the perverted talking cat. Instead of having a crescent moon on her forehead, she has a butterfly, and in the OVA, she has a condom on her tail.
- Monster of the Week: Of the typical Magical Girl variety where a mundane object is transformed into a monster.
- Mysterious Protector: Dandy Lion in the ONA/OVA, and Torakage in "New Season." Dandy Lion is a specific parody of Tuxedo Mask, except instead of throwing roses, he throws semen.
- Mysterious Waif: Rubi/Cosmos
- Nonindicative Name: "New Season" is the first and only season of the TV series.
- Opera Gloves: A standard part of the Papillons' wardrobe.
- Otaku: The girls spend most of their time fighting in Akihabara, so they have a bevy of fanboys who follow them around, observe and comment on the fight scenes, and sometimes help the girls out.
- Pantyshot First Impression: When Hikaru and Tsubomi first meet, she crashes into him, falls over, and consequently flashes her panties at him.
- Psycho Lesbian: Sister Beene from the OVA.
- Shout-Out: The OVA has several shout-outs to the original Cutey Honey: the title card is done in the same style, Sister Beene's name is a reference to Sister Jill, and when Tsubomi first transforms, she yells "Honey Flash!" as her clothes shred off, but Rama tells her to knock it off and transform properly.
- Sixth Ranger: Dahlia in the New Season; Adonis, Lupinus, and Petite Rose in Season R of the ONA.
- Stripperiffic: It's right there in the show's title — they fight in lingerie.
- Taking the Bullet: Dahlia for Rose, in the backstory of "New Season."
- Theme Naming: Each girl is named after a flower.
- Think of the Censors: In the first episode of "New Season," Papillon Rose is about to do her "Pinky Vibrator" attack from the more hentai-themed OVA, but Rama stops her before she can say the full name, claiming that the censors won't allow them to do that anymore.
- Token Mini-Moe: Petite Rose
- Transformation Sequence
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Dahlia's is green.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Another standard part of the Papillons' wardrobe.