was an anime series based on the Dutch comic strip "Boes" that aired from 1987 to 1988. Like a few other anime series, such as The Littl' Bits
, and Wowser
, the series was distributed by Saban Entertainment
in the US.
The series followed the adventures and misadventures of Ollie, a good-natured yet simple-minded anthropomorphic ox who runs a place called the Funny Farm, which consists of just about every kind of animal that you can find in the world. Ollie is also joined in his adventures by his best friend, Jack the turtle, who often acted as the voice of reason when Ollie's hairbrained schemes always went haywire. Other characters of the series included Towilla, a sarcastic toucan who served as the Narrator
of the series, Moe, a mole who often pops up from time to time to laugh at a comedic situation, Audrey, an ostrich who always has her head buried in the ground, Sammy, Ollie's faithful dog, and Edward, an elephant who Ollie will often use as a fire hose when the situation calls for it.
Ox Tales provides the following examples of:
- Agony of the Feet: Happens a few times in the series. Happens to Ollie in the episode "A Cheesy Situation", after accidentally stepping on a mousetrap intended for Morris, and it happens to him again after one of his wooden shoes catches on fire in the episode "If The Clog Fits".
- Annoying Laugh: Moe has one in between scenes of an episode, his laugh sounding almost similar to that of Woody Woodpecker.
- Balloon Belly: Happens to Calvin the cat after drinking the water out of the goldfish bowl in an attempt to get Morris the mouse out, in the episode "A Cheesy Situation".
- Bears Are Bad News: Bruce, a bear who often makes life hard for Ollie.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Ollie is an ox, yet some episodes refer to him as a bull instead of an ox.
- Cats Are Mean: Calvin, though he's not so much as mean as he's just doing his job in trying to catch Morris the mouse.
- Clucking Funny: Chickens are among the animals that Ollie has on the farm.
- Deadpan Snarker: Towilla the toucan.
- Determinator: When faced with a near-impossible situation, nothing will stop Ollie from accomplishing the job that lies in front of him.
- The Ditz / Genius Ditz: Ollie appears to show shades of this.
- Dogs Are Dumb: Sammy varies between this at times.
- Dreadful Musician: The episode "Music Madness" shows that Ollie is terrible when it comes to playing the flute, which disturbs every creature on the Funny Farm.
- Everything's Better With Kangaroos: Several of them show up throughout the series.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: Igor, an octopus who is able to inflate himself like a balloon.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Ollie wears only a pair of red overalls, though he is the only animal character to actually wear clothes, making him an Uplifted Animal as well.
- There was also a gorilla wearing briefs IIRC.
- Horsing Around: Horace the horse.
- I Have No Idea What I'm Doing: This is basically Ollie's attitude in the situation that he's in.
- A Load of Bull: Ollie himself, though he's actually an ox instead of a bull, but it's still the same thing.
- King of Beasts: Lenny, a lion who appears periodically throughout the series.
- Messy Pig: Several pigs also appear in the series.
- Mole Miner: Moe, and other moles that appear.
- Narrator: Towilla serves as this throughout the series.
- Nice Mice: Subverted with Morris, who is a mouse but isn't always that nice.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: In the English dub, Ollie's voice actually sounds something like a cross between that of Goofy, Foghorn Leghorn, and the Aardvark.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Ollie again.
- Only Sane Man: Jack
- Prickly Porcupine: Patrick
- Pun: Lots of puns are used throughout the series.
- Removable Shell: Jack's shell is this.
- Rhino Rampage: Rodney, a rhino whose horn always falls off, thanks to Ollie's efforts.
- Running Gag: Jack's shell always breaks apart when handled in a rough situation.
- She's a Man in Japan: Jack was a female turtle named Camilla in the Italian dub, called "FantaZoo".
- Simpleton Voice: Ollie
- Smelly Skunk: Cecil
- Turtle Power: Jack again