Macross: Do You Remember Love
is a 1984 theatrical rendition of Super Dimension Fortress Macross
. It was later established in-universe as a movie based on the events covered in the aforementioned series.
The film opens with the Super Dimension Fortress Macross already in space, pursued by the All-Male Aliens
, the Zentraedi. Valkyrie
pilot Hikaru Ichijou falls for Idol Singer
Lynn Minmay after he saves her life. They're captured by Zentraedi forces along with Lt. Misa Hayase, Lynn's cousin Lynn Kaifun and Roy's Big Brother Mentor
Roy Focker. Hikaru escapes with Misa when the Zentraedi are attacked by their female counterparts
and mortal enemies, the Meltrandi. They escape to a planet that turns out to be Earth, bombarded much earlier by the Zentraedi forces. There, they discover an Ancient Song that may provide them the key to win this war.
This work features examples of:
- All There in the Script: The Zentraedi whom Roy dies fighting against is listed as "Quamzin 03350" in the credits.
- Alpha Strike: When the Zentraedi, Meltrandi and Macross crew concentrate all firepower on Boddole Zer's flagship. It doesn't let up until Hikaru personally destroys Boddole Zer.
- Cute Monster Girl: The Meltrandi, even more so than in the show due to the Zentraedi's drastic redesigns.
- Death by Adaptation: Earth and its population are bombarded by Boddole Zer during the first attack on Earth. In the series, the bombardment occurs much later.
- Demoted to Extra: Quamzin Kravshera (Khyron in Robotech) has one scene that lasts 30 seconds. As mentioned above, he's named only in the credits and his character design is unrecognizable from his TV appearance. Justified as the people of Earth did not know of Quamzin until well into the postwar reconstruction period.
- Evil Is Visceral: This visual element is added onto many Zentraedi things, especially their intelligent/command personnel. Boddole Zer / Bodolza provides one of that trope's page images.
- Fiction Ary: The Zentraedi/Meltrandi are give their own language.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Roy dies saving Hikaru and Misa from Quamzin.
- In Media Res: The film opens with the Macross already in space. What happens before then isn't shown in flashback.
- A Million Is a Statistic: Averted. Hikaru gets Minmay to sing the title-song by reminding her of all the millions who died during the conflict.
- Sensor Suspense: Hikaru's heart starts pounding to the radar blips as his squadron's missiles approach the enemy.
- Tempting Fate: Hayao is killed by the Meltrandi just as he's laughing at the thought they might be as dangerous as the Zentradi.
- Those Were Only Their Scouts: Exsedol remarks in the end that Boddole Zer's forces won't be the last of the Zentraedi/Meltrandi to come.