Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
is a 2013 Anime
film produced in collaboration by Sony Pictures Entertainment and Japanese animation studio Madhouse
, who previously handled the Marvel Anime
line. Based on the venerable Iron Man
comic book franchise, the film sees Tony Stark on the run from S.H.I.E.L.D.
after he is framed for a terrorist attack by Ezekiel Stane, the son of his deceased former nemesis Obadiah Stane. The movie features appearances from Iron Man's partner War Machine
, as well as Hawkeye
, Black Widow
, Nick Fury
, and The Punisher
The film was released as a tie-in to the live-action Iron Man 3
, and as such takes some inspiration from the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Iron Man: Rise of Technovore provides examples of the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Though Tony says Obadiah genuinely loved Ezekiel, Obadiah would denigrate Ezekiel unless he made perfect scores on his school work.
- Action Girl: Black Widow
- Adaptation Distillation
- Just going by the trailer, the film takes inspiration from the modern Iron Man comics, as well as the Ultimate Marvel universe and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Comic-wise, it seems to be an adaptation of the first arc written by Matt Fraction, The Five Nightmares.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: The brunet Ezekiel of the comics is blond in the film.
- Anti-Villain: Ezekiel, having been raised by a verbally abusive father that frequently shoot down his accomplishments and gave him severe Inferiority Superiority Complex and come to see adults and his values as "obsolete" to modern world. After he fuses himself with biotechnology, he seeks to improve the world by forcefully inserting it on the whole world, claiming to be on his "divine rights" to do so.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Iron Man and War Machine.
- Badass: Many!
- Badass Normal: The Punisher, Hawkeye and Black Widow. Nick Fury too.
- Battle Couple: Hawkeye and Black Widow.
- Big Bad: Ezekiel Stane
- Bigger Bad: Obadiah Stane
- Big Damn Heroes: War Machine in the final battle.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Ezekiel Stane. Averted with Hawkeye, mostly a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Clear My Name
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: To Ezekiel Stane.
- Deadpan Snarker: Iron Man/Tony Stark, as usual.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Ezekiel Stane
- The End... Or Is It?: "The wind."
- Fanservice: Pepper sunbathing in a bikini.
- A God Am I: Ezekiel Stane, courtesy of his bio-technological upgrades.
- International Coproduction: A collaboration between the American Marvel Comics company and the Japanese companies Madhouse and Sony.
- Male Gaze: Again, Pepper Potts, when she's sunbathing.
- Meaningful Name: Ezekiel
- Mythology Gag: After saving the world, Tony suggests he and Pepper go skiing at Asgard or have a safari in the Savage Lands.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Tony Stark successfully manages to hack Ezekiel Stane out of S.H.I.E.L.D. using his Arc Reactor, but unfortunately, this also makes Ezekiel lost control from his own bio-technological body, go insane and turn himself into a monster...
- Noodle Incident: Not the first time Tony asked Pepper for help during her vacation.
- Not So Stoic: Ezekiel Stane
- One-Winged Angel: Pulled TWICE by Ezekiel Stane. The first time after he loses control of his Bio-technological armor, he turns into a large, disformed and four eyed ogre-like creature capable of shapeshifting at will. Later, after fighting Iron Man and War Machine, he envolved into a full-blown Eldritch Abomination made of nano-technology.
- Physical God: Ezekiel Stane has rather god-like powers thanks to his technology, and he believes himself to be one.
- Straw Nihilist: Ezekiel Stane. Sasha Hammer was reading a book about Friedrich Nietzsche to Ezekiel.
- Villainous Breakdown: When the Technovore takes over Ezekiel's body.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Ezekiel Stane
- World of Snark: Almost everyone says something snarky at some point.