Anime: Hyper Speed GranDoll
Sailor Moon IN SPACE!
Well okay, there's a little more to it than that.Hyper Speed GranDoll
is a three-episode OVA from 1997 about Hikaru, an Ordinary High-School Student
who is shocked to discover that she's actually the long-lost princess of a faraway planet. Now she must transform into the chosen warrior, Grandoll, in order to protect the Earth from villainous alien invaders and prevent her Powered Armor
suit from falling into the wrong hands.
This series provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Sir Friedshalf.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Gran Change!"
- Calling Your Attacks: Hikaru always does this.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Narazaki. The series ends in the middle of him stuttering out a confession.
- Crash-Into Hello: Subverted; Hikaru and Haruna almost meet Sigil by crashing into her thanks to some high-speed shoes, but Sigil jumps out of the way just in time.
- Dark Magical Girl: Sigil is a textbook example.
- Distressed Dude: Narazaki.
- Everybody Knew Already: When Hikaru's muggle parents finally decide to reveal to her that she's adopted, her response is "I know." Cue Face Fault.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Hikaru is the princess of her home planet.
- Frills of Justice: Gran Aggress and Gran Master are the Powered Armor versions of this.
- Furo Scene: Hikaru and Sigil get one together after Sigil's Heel-Face Turn. Sigil also gets an earlier bath scene by herself.
- Girlish Pigtails: Hikaru.
- Happily Adopted: Even after discovering her true heritage, Hikaru affirms that she views her muggle parents as her true parents.
- Heel-Face Turn: Sigil, naturally.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: Being the Magical Girl's love interest, Narazaki unsurprisingly falls victim to this.
- Lampshade Hanging: When Hikaru first transforms, the first words out of her mouth are "Awesome, I've turned into some sort of action hero!"
- Late for School: Hikaru, in the first episode.
- MacGuffin: The Royal Armor.
- Mad Scientist: Hikaru's Muggle dad, although he's definitely on the heroic side of things, albeit rather bumbling.
- Magical Girl
- Marshmallow Hell: Hikaru does this to Sigil, although it's played as heartwarming rather than comical.
- Meaningful Name: "Hikaru" means "light." Guess who the hero of the story is.
- Meganekko: Hikaru, although she loses them when she transforms.
- The Mentor: Gran Knight.
- Muggle Best Friend: Haruna.
- Muggle Foster Parents: Though they're a lot more eccentric than the average instance of this trope, being a Mad Scientist and his assistant.
- Nipple and Dimed: Averted; it's an OVA after all.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Hikaru's muggle parents.
- Power Gives You Wings: Gran Master.
- Powered Armor: The Royal Armor.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Hikaru's Powered Armor is pink.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Friedshalf's revolution on Hikaru's home planet certainly wasn't.
- Subordinate Excuse: Sigil towards Friedshalf. He seems to reciprocate it.
- Taking the Bullet: Sigil does this for Hikaru when the latter is about to be stabbed by Friedshalf.
- Taking You with Me: Friedshalf figures that if he can't get the Royal Armor, he may as well just die and take the Earth along with him.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Hikaru says this when the villains start attacking Earth.
- Transformation Sequence: Hikaru gets a Stock Footage one for her basic outfit and new ones for her power-ups.
- Undying Loyalty: Sigil towards Friedshalf.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist:
- Sigil has a lot of heroic principles, but she puts her trust in the wrong people.
- Sir Friedshalf seems like this at first, but he turns out to be just a megalomaniac.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: So are Friedshalf and Sigil dead or not?
- You Killed My Father: Friedshalf killed Hikaru's biological parents and even taunts her about it.