Esper Mami is a manga and anime from The '80s about Mami Sakura, an Ordinary Junior High Student who one day manifests supernatural powers, including teleportation, telepathy, and telekinesis. Using these powers, and with the help of her best friend Kazuo Takahata, Mami solves mysteries and helps people in trouble.Created by Fujiko F. Fujio of Doraemon fame.
This anime provides examples of:
- Art Shift: Any of Mr. Sakura's paintings of Mami.
- Berserk Button: Please never mistake Konpoco for a racoon. He really takes that badly.
- Book Dumb: Mami sometimes doesn't pay attention in class, and other times she can't focus because she want to spend time practicing her psychic powers.
- But Not Too Foreign: Mami has European ancestors, more specifically, French. That would explain partially why she has red hair.
- Feud Episode: Earlier into the series, there is one when Takahata finds out that Mami was the real esper and not him. He also feels down because they have been friends for a while by the time she confesses to him she was the one with the powers, so he couldn't believe she was lying to him the whole time. After some days pass, they eventually reconcile because it was never Mami's intention, and Takahata still wants to consider her his friend.
- How Do I Shot Web?: At the very start of her powers' discovery, Mami's teleportation sometimes caused her to crash into things.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Mami's father is a painter specializing in nudes. Mami is his favorite subject, and she often (approaching Once per Episode levels in the anime) poses nude for him. She sees nothing unusual with this, and has no qualms about Takahata seeing the nude paintings her father did for her. This is shown in surprising detail (especially when one considers it is a kids show from the late eighties) — Scenery Censor and Nipple and Dimed are completely averted, and the paintings shown are actually art shifted works of what appears to be watercolor.
- Magical Girl: Mami is an example of one using Psychic Powers.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Konpoco, Mami's raccoon-looking pet dog.
- Potty Emergency: Mami ends up with this in Episodes 36, 40, 82, and 83. Sometimes, she overcomes this by teleporting her pee into another person's bladder, making them rush to the bathroom for her.
- Psychic Powers: Mami's powers include telepathy, telekinesis, teleportation, and levitation. She can also control the weather to some extent.
- They Would Cut You Up: Mami considered telling her family about her powers, but changed her mind when she heard about how her French ancestors were hunted as witches.
- Touch Telepathy: At the start of the series, Mami can only read thoughts clearly if she's touching the person. Later, she learns she can do it if they're both touching a metal wire (insulation does not stop the telepathy.)