is an early Magical Girl
anime about Mami Sakura, an Ordinary Junior High Student
who one day manifests supernatural powers
, including teleportation, telepathy, and telekinesis. Using these powers, and with the help of her best friend Kazuo Takahata, Mami solves mysteries and helps people in trouble.
This anime provides examples of:
- Art Shift: Any of Mr. Sakura's paintings of Mami.
- Berserk Button: Please never mistake Konpoco for a racoon. It REALLY takes that badly.
- Book Dumb: Mami
- How Do I Shot Web?: Mami's teleportation sometimes causes her to crash into things.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Mami's father is a painter specializing in nudes. Mami is his favorite subject, and she often (approaching Once per Episode levels) poses nude for him. She sees nothing unusual with this, and has no qualms about Kazuo seeing the nude paintings her father did for her. This is shown in surprising detail (especially when one considers it was a kids show) — Scenery Censor and Nipple and Dimed are completely averted, and the paintings shown are actually art shifted works of what appears to be watercolor.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Konpoco, Mami's raccoon-looking pet dog.
- Psychic Powers: Mami's powers include telepathy, telekinesis, teleportation, and levitation.
- They Would Cut You Up: Mami considers telling her father about her powers, but changes her mind when she hears about how her French ancestors were hunted as witches.
- Touch Telepathy: At the start of the series, Mami can only read thoughts clearly if she's touching the person. Later she learns she can do it if they're both touching a metal wire (insulation does not stop the telepathy.)
- Trial Balloon Question