"Super Divine Beast Combination!"Dancouga Nova
is a Super Robot
show that started airing on February 15, 2007. Masami Obari
designed and directed the series. This is the supposed sequel
to Super Beast Machine God Dancouga
, though it is more a Spiritual Successor
The story takes place in 2014, when wars spring up all over the world and Japan has been devastated by a massive earthquake. Where ever the fighting turns to favor one of the sides, a mysterious force appears to even the odds, but never finishes off the side that once was winning. It leaves once the balance of power is restored. This is Dancouga Nova
Tropes associated with this series include:
- Action Girl: Aoi and Kurara. Holy hell, Aoi and Kurara.
- Actor Allusion: The character F.S., who's voiced by Kazuki Yao and tells the team about their precursors, specifically their Catch Phrase "Yatte Yaruze!". This lead a lot of people to believe he was Fujiwara Shinobu, but it was later revealed his name stood for Fog Sweeper.
- Badass Driver: Aoi.
- Bi the Way Seimi, though she only shows any interest in Aoi in the course of the series.
- Big Bad: Moon Will
- The Cameo: by Klein Sandman of Gravion's fame.
- The President was also there with him. Beside Sandman.
- Char Clone: Eida. Blonde wearing a mask, piloting a red mecha.
- Combining Mecha
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Seimi
- Designer Babies: Aoi
- Determinator: Runs in all four of Dancouga Nova's pilots.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Original Dancouga and Moon Will. Bonus points in that Aoi actually punches the latter.
- Eagleland: The Neidermeyer captain of Episode 4 is an obvious example of type 2.
- Everybody Lives: Though Aoi had a very close brush with death.
- Well mostly everybody. We never do find out what happened to Fog Sweeper and Earth Will and we did get a brief shot of Dragon's Hive getting shot down.
- Expy : Seimi, imagine Excellen Browning as a mechanic and the result isn't far from her.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The pilots: model & racer Aoi, young cop Kurara, Bad Ass Bookworm salaryman Johnny, and Hot-Blooded homeless bum Sakuya. It becomes a Five-Man Band after the inclusion of Eida in R-Daigun.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Fog Sweeper and Earth Will in Dragon's Hive in the final episode. Maybe. Unlike everyone else, these two don't show up again so it's highly suggested that they had been Killed Off for Real.
- Hey, It's That Voice: Imagine Tomoyo Sakagami as a Badass Adorable Super Cop.
- Homeless Hero: Sakuya
- Hot-Blooded: Pretty much everyone who pilots Dancouga.
- Idol Singer: Johnny has a crush on one - and gets to meet her in person. It's Love at First Sight.
- Improbable Age: Kurara. See Super Cop below for more info.
- In Name Only
- Innocent Innuendo: In the episode where Sakuya finally gets a...
- Omniscient Morality License: The four pilots often feel like they are being manipulated in this way.
- The Rival: R-Daigun to Dancouga Nova, a red Beast Machine, which is piloted by Idol Singer Eida (see above entry)
- Salaryman: Johnny starts of as one who later quits his job while Sakuya used to be one, or so it seems.
- Spell My Name with an S People call the Dancougas Dancougars even though Shinobu makes it clear in 80s Dancouga that the name is Dancouga with the code input D A N C O U G A, Dancouga Nova doesn't even have a English version and yet people call it a Dancougar too.
- Shout-Out : Lulli Luli? Baka bakka? Sounds like Ruri Hoshino.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Aoi won't listen to bullshit about how Humans Are Bastards.
- Spiritual Successor: To Gravion
- Super Cop: Kurara. 15 years old, cleaned up the corrupt narcotics division of the police department single-handedly. Her Improbable Aiming Skills probably helped a lot.
- Super Mode
- Super Robot Wars: Made its debut in Super Robot Wars L and met Voltes V and Combattler V like its predecessor did.
- Take That: America had invaded the Middle East using a war on terrorism as a cover and caused terrorism to spread throughout the world.
- Talking to Himself: Norio Wakamoto voices both Earth Will and Moon Will, which ultimately leads to this incomparable showdown.
- Theme Music Power-Up: Lampshaded. Dancouga Nova plays it's own theme song over external speakers.
- Transforming Mecha
- True Companions: Aoi, Sakuya, Kurara and Johnny start out as complete strangers and end up like this.
- Twelve Episode Anime
- Twenty Minutes into the Future
- What Could Have Been: Word of God states that the series was originally meant to have a much deeper connection with the original Dancouga, the most notable of which being Aoi being a descendant of Sara.
- Wrench Wench: Seimi
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Kurara