Willy The Sparrow
(Hungarian: Vili, a veréb
) is a 1989 Hungarian animated film
, produced by Pannonia Film Studio
, about a thoughtless boy who is turned into a sparrow so he can learn to respect the smallest of creatures.
Tropes used by the film:
- Alcohol Is Bad
- Baleful Polymorph
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Cyprus.
- Cats Are Mean: Cili/Sissy and Krampusz/Blackie are both antagonistic cats. The former wants revenge on her owner Willy for tormenting her when he was still human.
- The Danza: In the Hungarian Version. Cili the cat is voiced by Cecilia Esztergalyos, whose nickname is also "Cili".
- Forgot I Couldn't Swim: The Sparrow Guardian turned Willy into a mouse before she remembered that she is afraid of them.
- Furry Baldness: Cipur, the elderly sparrow has white feathers on his head, resembling an old man's descending hairline.
- Girlish Pigtails: Willy's sister, as well as one of the female sparrows.
- Humanity Ensues: When Willy is turned back, his elderly sparrow friend is also transformed into a human.
- In Another Man's Shoes
- Karmic Transformation
- Lyrical Dissonance: The hungarian version's inspiring-sounding ending song has lyrics about how there are no real miracles in the world, our months and years are passing in a grey monotone, and the best you can do is to pretend that your dreams are real. In the english version, it was replaced with another song about how awesome flying is.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Krampusz, the black cat is named after the Krampus, a devil-like figure in Germanic folklore. His English name, Blackie, is a lot less frightening.
- Our Fairies Are Different: The Sparrow Guardian is regularly referred to as a fairy in the Hungarian version.
- Super-Persistent Predator: Sissy, Willy's pet cat. Justified, as she is not only hunting for food, but also wants revenge on Willy for tormenting her.
- Wisdom from the Gutter: Both played straight and subverted. Willy learns lessons from a mere bird, and bad rats in the bar tell him to drink the "Elixir of Knowledge", or alcohol.
- Artistic License - Biology: Cats do not switch from the standard "square teeth grin" to actual barrage of fangs when they find a sparrow that turns out to be their owner. Seriously, don't tell your biology teacher because it isn't true.
- Ship Tease: Between Willie and Amy. While not the focus of the movie it is implied that at least Amy has a crush on Willie. Examples include several compliments to Willie and being the only one who was nice enough to come and find him in the bad weather and tell him that Red and the others are very angry at him. Willie saving her life could be taken as either him just being a good kid or ship tease.
- Toy Ship: Once again, hinted at between Willie and Amy.
- You Dirty Rat: The two evil rats who get Cipur drunk.