The Missing Link
(French: Le Chaînon manquant
), known in America as B.C. Rock
, is a 1980 French–Belgian animated film written and directed by Picha.
Set in the year 196,303 BC, it follows the life and escapades of the caveman Oh. Rejected by his own kind, he travels the world meeting strange new friends and enemies, and learning and developing the skills needed to survive this harsh world. The film is set to a rock
Not to be confused with The Missing Lynx
or the former pro wrestler known as the Missing Link
This film provides examples of:
- All Cavemen Were Neanderthals: Somewhat justified, as the film shows the transition between Neanderthal and Homo sapiens.
- Artistic License - Paleontology: Not only are there dinosaurs and humans in the same time period, but they don't even look like real dinosaurs. Hell, some of them don't even look like they are from Earth.
- Bittersweet Ending: Man develops into a more civilized society, at the cost of wiping out various other species in the process.
- Also, Oh spends the remainder of his days on Easter Island with Igua and Croak.
- Ass Shove: Oh does this with a cork to a dragon.
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his brachiosaurus.
- Catgirl: The "No-Man"s are a race of all-female red feline creatures.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The chicken who keeps saying "Fuck off!"
- Crapsack World: It is the dawn of man, after all.
- Dumb Is Good: Oh.
- Evil Twin: Ah is this to Oh.
- Humans Are Bastards: Near the end of the film, Man goes around wiping out all other creatures for no other reason than "Man no like no-man!"
- Hive Mind: The No-Lobes seem to be this.
- Humanoid Female Animal: Again, the "No-Man" race.
- Interspecies Romance: Oh and "No-Man".
- Jerkass: Croak.
- Naked People Are Funny: All of Man are naked.
- One-Gender Race: The No-Lobes (all male) and the "No-Man"s (all female).
- Yet, the No-Lobes lay eggs.
- Our Dragons Are Different: There's a dragon in one scene that farts fire and is voiced by Bill Murray.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: The "No-Man" race uses this to their advantage while hunting.
- Pun-Based Title: The German title "Das fehlende Glied" is a perfectly literal translation...but with the bonus (if one can term it bonus, but after all, Picha is reknowned for his adult animations) that "Glied" also means "penis".
- Workaholic: The No-Lobes are an entire race of these.