The King Of Pigs (돼지의 왕; Dwaejiui wang) is a 2011 animated film from Korea. Failed businessman Kyung-min has just murdered his wife and decides to meet up with his best friend from middle school, struggling writer Jong-suk whom he hasn't seen in 15 years.In middle school Jong-suk and Kyung-min were at the bottom of the pecking order as the 'pigs', constantly tormented by their richer classmates, the 'dogs'.All this seemed to change when a new classmate Kim Chul arrived who stood up against the 'dogs'. He takes Jong-suk and Kyung-min under his tutelage becoming the titular 'King of the Pigs'.Gradually it is revealed what happened 15 years ago.
The film provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: The teachers are corrupt and implied to be on the rich kids side.
- Animal Motifs: Pigs and dogs
- Badass: Kim Chul can take on multiple toughs by himself.
- Bully Hunter: Kim Chul. Deconstructed as his actions frequently only make things wore.
- Disappeared Dad: Averted. Kim Chul and his mother find his father's body in the morgue.
- Downer Ending: And how! Kim Chul decided not to go through with his suicide, and only wanted to scare them to be accepted back to school. But Jong-suk pushed him off with Kyung-min as a witness. Kyung-min's business ended in failure and went with a Murder-Suicide from the guilt after all these years to the present. Finally Jong-suk is left to a sobbing mess.
- Driven to Suicide: Kyung-min. What seems to be the case with Kim Chul.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Jong-suk
- Kids Are Cruel: Taken to disturbingly realistic heights.
- Murder-Suicide: Kyung-min
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Kyung-min offered the new student the meat dish Which he couldn't eat from Kim Chul and Jong-suk killing the cat, the result was that the new student got stomach problems and went to the restroom, only for the bullies to pour a bucket of urine on him.
- The '90s: The movie was released in 2011 and their movie takes place 15 years ago, then the movie would take place in 1996 as Walkmans are shown as the newest thing, and fashion towards Gap jeans.
- The Reveal: Kim Chul wanted to commit suicide in public on graduation day to spite the bullies but couldn't go through with it. A desperate Jong-suk pushed him. Kyung-min was the only one who saw this. .
- Society Marches On: Even in the nineties, South Korean people considered karaoke bars as accompaniment as brothels, and red meat are considered a luxury item back then.
- Son of a Whore: Kim Chul.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Kim Chul advocates that to deal with the world with cruel people, you got to be even crueler than them. He also encourages Jong-suk and Kyung-min to stab a cat to death, and huff paint.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Kim Chul's mother is not spoken again or her reaction of dealing two suicides.