Qin's Moon is a Chinese CGI anime of the Wuxia
fantasy genre that began airing in 2007. The story is set during the Qin Dynasty
, and follows the adventures of a young boy named Jing Tianming and his protector, the master swordsman Ge Nie
. The first season featured ten episodes, the second eighteen, the third thirty four, and the fourth (depending on which version you watch) 37 or 38. The fifth season may run even longer, and there will be at least seven seasons. Qin's Moon has drawn connections to popular Japanese animation
such as Naruto
, as well as wuxia films such as Hero
and the House of Flying Daggers
. The series has most recently reached its fourth season, but has yet to be licensed or released outside of China.
Contains examples of:
- The Ace: Shaoyu is the star student at the Confucian village, number one in archery, horseback riding, reading, swordsmanship...he's also great at making new friends, and very strong.
- Anachronism Stew: Ancient Chinese history is blended together with fantastical steampunk elements and magic
- Animal Motifs: Baifeng ("White Phoenix") and birds (mainly blue jays and white feathers), Yingfu ("Shadow Bat") and bats, Chilian ("Red Ring Snake") and snakes, Canglangwang ("Black Wolf King") and wolves, the Luo Wang group and black widow spiders
- Art Evolution: And how! Just as an example, season 1's White Phoenix was made with 5000 polygons ◊. Season 4's is made with 50,000. ◊ And the upcoming season 5? ◊
- A Day in the Limelight: Key Mohists get one to two episodes devoted to their backstory, namely Snowlady, Iron Hammer, and Gao Jianli in the beginning of Season 3; Chilian also gets one for her relationship with Wei Zhuang during Season 4.
- Adorkable: Shaoyu, when he's trying to talk to Shi Lan. Also, half of Tianming's scenes, especially in the fourth season.
- The Atoner: Ge Nie who, as the number one swordsman in the empire, is supposed to have killed Jing Ke.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Shaoyu's halberd, which looks and is awesome but is far too big and heavy to carry around all the time.
- Awesome yet Practical: Tianming's Fei Gong, which can morph into a variety of things, including a sword, a clawshot, a giant wheel, a shield...a pogo stick...
- Badass Princess: Or rather, ex-princess. Chilian, a very formidable woman, was once a princess of the Kingdom of Han.
- Battle Couple: Gao Jianli and Snowlady return from a mission together at the end of Season 2, work together against Shadow Bat in the beginning of Season 2, and are otherwise presented as a team. Shaoyu and Shi Lan are also shaping up to be this in Season 4.
- Berserk Button: Don't eat Tianming's roasted chicken.
- Big Damn Heros: When Ge Nie finally arrives at the Mohist great hall in the Season 2 finale, everyone watches, with Xiang Liang going so far as to say that the Mohist City has hope, now that he is here.
- The Big Guy: Wushuan Guai (Unmatchable Demon) for the Quicksand assassins, and Iron Hammer for the Mohists
- Birdsofa Feather: Ge Nie and Duanmu Rong are both very calm and cold. They're also an example of , with her as a divine doctor, and he a swordsman. Also, Gao Jianli is a musician with a "Cold Water Sword," and his love interest is Snowlady, a dancer.
- Celibate Hero: Ge Nie, according to the official materials, doesn't want his life as a swordsman to hurt the ones he loves. It doesn't work (see Official Couple below).
- The Coatsare Off: Wei Zhuang takes off his long black coat when fighting Ge Nie; he puts it back on when facing anyone else.
- Combat Medic: Duanmu Rong is a genius doctor, but she can also fight pretty well with her silver needles.
- Cool Big Sis: Duanmu Rong is one towards Yue'er.
- Cool Old Guy: Old Man Ban (also Master Xu, and the Daoist Xiao Yao Zi)
- Cool Sword: A lot of them. Gao Jianli's is literally "cool," and can create icicles.
- Creepy Child: Xinghun ("Star Soul")
- Curtains Match the Window: Long Ju has red hair and red eyes.
- Cute Mute: Younger Siming never speaks, and Yue'er seems on her way to becoming one.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Gao Yue, Ge Nie, Snowlady, Chilian, Wei Zhuang, Iron Hammer...(actually, it'd be easier to list who doesn't have a dark and troubled past)
- Declarationof Protection: Gao Jianli vows to protect Ge Nie when the latter falls after his battle with Wei Zhuang. Doubles as a Crowning Momentof Heartwarming considering the antagonism Gao Jianli has held towards Ge Nie in the previous season; even more heartwarming when the other Mohists follow his lead and stand besides him afterwards.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Duanmu Rong towards Ge Nie, Snowlady towards Gao Jianli in her backstory.
- Demoted to Extra: Yue'er in Seasons 3 and 4; although she's officially the female lead, she gets less screen time than most of the side characters. Ge Nie also takes much less prominence than he did before, as the focus shifts to Tianming.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Dao Zhi towards Duanmu Rong. Initially, Shaoyu is this when he's trying to make friends with Shi Lan. Gao Jianli was also very persistent when he was chasing Snowlady.
- Evil Red Head: Zhao Gao is on his way to being this, though his character design was already a giveaway.
- Flirting Under Fire: One-sided from Dao Zhi towards Younger Siming. She's more interested in trying to kill him.
- Foregone Conclusion: It's a historical fantasy. The directors will follow the basic turns of history - Shaoyu (the future Xiang Yu) will overthrow the Qin dynasty ending up with Shi Lan, who was revealed as the Consort Yu and Gao Jianli will eventually be blinded and killed
- Foreshadowing: There's a fork in the road when the trio (Shaoyu, Tianming, and Yue'er) are walking through the Mohist sacred grounds. Tianming and Yue'er choose to go down the "Paladin" path, Shaoyu goes down the "King" path. In history, he goes on to become Xiang Yu, the Western Chu Hegemon King
- Fragile Speedster: Shilan, and also Dao Zhi
- Going Down with the Ship: The Mohist head [[says that "captain is the last to leave the ship," and dies as the mechanical pieces goes to pieces around him.]] Tianming tries to invoke it when they're running from the Qin forces (as usual) towards the end of Season 4.
- Handicapped Badass: Ge Nie is just recovering from an almost fatal battle with 300 soldiers of Qin, a recent poisoning by Chilian, and then a stab in the back by Dark Kirin. when he fights Wei Zhuang in Season 3. He still manages to hold a sword to Wei Zhuang's throat.
- Historical Fantasy
- Heroic Sacrifice: At the season 2 finale, Duanmu Rong blocks White Phoenix's feather to protect Ge Nie.
- Hypnotizethe Princess: Chilian does this to Yue'er, the princess of Yan in Season 1.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Dao Zhi wears bronze weights on his legs. It's serious business when he takes them off.
- Idiot Hero: Tianming
- Ladyin Red: Chilian's favorite color is red, and from her wardrobe, you can tell.
- Magic Dance: Snowlady's most famous dance is actually an attack that's supposed to bring death. It's how she kills the noble Yan Chun in her backstory episode.
- Meaningful Name: Multiple. Asides from the epithets for the members of the Quicksand assassins, Gao Jianli's sword's name is Shuihan, meaning that it's the "Cold Water Sword." Iron Hammer's weapon is a...iron hammer. Xiao-yu's name means "little rain in the sky" (because that's what it was like when she was born). Gao Yue experiences more of a Meaningful Rename, though being called "Moon" in a series called "Qin's Moon" is already pretty significant.
- Mind Rape: Multiple examples of this. Yueshen to Tianming, Xinghun to that random Mo family mook, Chilian to Xuenu...Chilian to Yue'er in the first season...
- Mood Dissonance: Happens often. Mostly it's when light-hearted music plays during what would otherwise be a very serious scene.
- Mystical White Hair: Snowlady has this. Wei Zhuang too, though his is more of the other variety.
- Never Gets Drunk: Gao Jianli drinks a lot of very strong wine, but it doesn't show. Subverted with Jing Ke, who is clearly drunk when he and Gao Jianli first meet (though this may also be a double subversion, since it doesn't stop Jing Ke from beating up a room full of assassins).
- Not So Different: Tianming realizes that he and the Mechanical Unmatchable Demon are this when he finds the former assassin in a gully, and can't bear to hurt him. Later, they become friends. Wei Zhuang also tries this on Ge Nie at the end of their battle in Season 3.
- Official Couple: Ge Nie and Duanmu Rong, to the point that Star Qcalls them Qin's Moon "number 1 official couple." They're described as reciprocating love and respect on the official relationship chart. Snowlady and Gao Jianli also qualify, noted as "lovers" on the said official relationships chart. Star Q has fun with this and releases wallpapers on Valentines day and Tanabata.
- Old Master: Master Guigu (who taught Ge Nie and Wei Zhuang), Master Xiaoyao of the Daoists.
- The Only One Allowedto Defeat You: Subverted, then played straight. Wei Zhuang has no problem sending members from his assassin group after Ge Nie (Unmatchable Demon, Black Wolf King, Chilian, White Phoenix, Dark Kirin...), but once he's actually facing Ge Nie in the Mohist great hall, he declares that he is the only one who can kill Ge Nie.
- Poisonous Person: Chilian usually comes in with a few snakes nearby, and it turns out her blood is a deadly poison.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: For just about every ship - Ge Nie/Duanmu Rong is Nierong, Gao Jianli/Snowlady (Xue Nv) is Gaoxue, Tianming/Gao Yue is Mingyue, and so on.
- Pretty Boy: White Phoenix, White Phoenix, White Phoenix. Also Zhang Liang. Lampshaded by Tianming when Long Ju takes off his helmet.
- Professional Killer: The entire Quicksand Assassin group. May have also been part of Ge N Ie's job under Qin.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Chilian and Duanmu Rong. The former wears red, is a poison master, uses seduction techniques, and is otherwise very "hot." Duanmu Rong's theme is closer to blue, is famed as a doctor who can cure any poison, and is also something of an Ice Queen. Could also apply to Chilian and Snowlady, who both have [[notsodifferent tragic pasts]]. Usually, though, it's Chilian and Snowlady (who wears a lot of blue) who face off.
- Reforged Blade: Yuanhong (Ge Nie's sword, "Rainbow of the Pool") was once Canhong, which belonged to Jing Ke. Canhong was refined and reforged into Yuanhong when Jing Ke's assassination attempt failed.
- The Reveal: A minor one, if you're familiar with Chinese history. Shi Lan is that Mystical Waif's tribal name. Her real name is Xiao'yu...like the Beauty Yu, who was Xiang Yu's consort.
- The Rival: Ge Nie to Wei Zhuang. Their sect revolves around this concept, with the mandate that only one of them can go on to change the world...
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The crown prince of Yan hires Jing Ke to assassinate the man who would become the Qin emperor.
- The Smart Guy: Zhang Liang.
- Super Speed: Both Dao Zhi and White Phoenix are very fast. White Phoenix is obsessed with his "games of speed," and being the fastest in general.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Shi Lan dresses as a boy while working for Ding's restaurant.
- Trainingfrom Hell: Implied to be part of Chilian and Wei Zhuang's backstory, and one of the reasons why Chilian's blood is poisonous. Also, in Season 3, Tianming finds out that the Mohist head is Yue'er's father.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Shaoyu, Tianming, and Yue'er were this in season 2, though the boys would argue about which one is The Hero. By Season 4, Shi Lan has replaced Yue'er as the girl in their Power Trio.
- Voluntary Shape Shifting: Dark Kirin's reputation as the Quicksand Assassins top assassin comes from this ability. It's great material for a very creepy scene in season 4.
- What Kindof Lame Power Is Heart Anyway: Tianming is crying over his apparent uselessness, when Ge Nie comforts him and says he really appreciates Tianming's ability to keep smiling...after all, it was because of Tianming that Ge Nie held on after he was injured in Season 1! Also doubles as a Crowning Momentof Heartwarming
- Whip Sword: Chilian has one, which Wei Zhuang gave to her.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Tianming's mother, Li Ji, was supposed to be this. So far she has only been seen in a brief flashback in season 1.
- World's Strongest Man: Shaoyu and Iron Hammer have a weight lifting competition when Shaoyu first arrives at the Mohist mountain. They lift a giant bronze tripod; Iron Hammer defers to Shaoyu, since he was only able to lift the tripod when he was eighteen, and Shaoyu is only fourteen. Justified, since Shaoyu (Xiang Yu) was historically known to have possessed inhuman strength.